Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is the most under appreciated brand in golf?

2 minutes ago, KSxFinesse said:

Surprised to not see many saying Mizuno as they are not really popular on tour. They make some of the best irons out there and their 2024 driver is pretty close to hanging with some of the bigger brands performance wise when I swung it.

I used Mizuno irons for so long,  at that time, they were the best thing for me!

P.J.Marshall

PING G425 MAX 9°

TaylorMade M2 (2017) 3 wood

TaylorMade M2 (2017) 3 Hybrid

Stealth Irons 4-PW

SM6 52 + 58

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade (currently looking at other putters)

Either Srixon AD333 or TM Tour Response Stripe

Callaway Chev carry and trolley bag

Ben Sayers Electric Trolley 

The only brand I can think of is Vice golf balls. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

Musty golf for the best solid wood putter. I’ve had mine for over 20 years They guarantee the putter for life Last year I sent it back to refinish the face 2 weeks later it arrived at my front door Wow if it wasn’t for the inscription on the sole I would believe they replaced it with a brand new putter The cost to me was shipping .

www.Musty.com

we

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, Swing Dokter said:

Musty golf for the best solid wood putter. I’ve had mine for over 20 years They guarantee the putter for life Last year I sent it back to refinish the face 2 weeks later it arrived at my front door Wow if it wasn’t for the inscription on the sole I would believe they replaced it with a brand new putter The cost to me was shipping .

www.Musty.com

we

image.jpg

Oh this is a beauty! Nice one @Swing Dokter

Driver:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX LS Driver

3 Hybrid:callaway-small:APEX'21 3H

5 Wood : :callaway-small:Rogue ST MAX LS

Irons:callaway-small: APEX'21  5-PW Irons

Wedges:callaway-small: JAWS 56 

Putter :  :odyssey-small:2-ball 

Balls:callaway-small:Callaway Chrome Soft OR :srixon-small: Marathon (depending on course and weather)

Shoes : :footjoy-small: Fuel 

Cleveland:  Many know that they make some of the best wedges out there, but their other products are top notch as well. I had a set of TA7 Tour irons for 20 years and loved them. Accurate! I also used the original 330cc Launcher and the 3 and 5 woods for a decade before relegating them to my Sunday bag, which I would grab when just walking out the back door to play just 3 holes. It still did not disappoint! 

Driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, 6I - 9I, PW, AW:  Callaway Rogue ST Max

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Satin Low, 54* Black High, 50* Raw Mid

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG 7S 

Balls:  Pro-V1 from March - October

Supersoft from November - February

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart circa 2004

Only speaking from personal experience as I have their irons.

Srixon is obviously well known but the quality of everything they make is top tier but I don't feel like their sales compared to the others reflects that. I use the ZX5 irons and absolutely love everything about them. I use the Z STAR ball, same, love it. Wilson seems to be another although I haven't used there stuff as of yet. You think Mizuno fits in there?

Anyway, my two cents

Kevin WP

I'd have to say Wison.   PGA store (at least the two in my area) no longer carries them.  Golf Galaxy just stopped carrying them and there is limited availability at Dick's.  I own the 2023 D9 iron set and it's an awesome set which hadn't been for MyGolfSpy's reviews I may never have purchased them (from an eBay store).

"If you're struggling then just keep it simple by turning your shoulders and only use your hands to lift up and back down the club."

16 minutes ago, Swing Dokter said:

www.Musty.com

we

image.jpg

Wow!! That is a gorgeous putter!

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                              3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                              Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                                  Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                                     Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Under appreciated to me is along list: Wilson (seen as used to be great); Tour Edge (seen as has-been golfer clubs); Cleveland (great wedges, not much else); MacGregor (dead, now resurrected in DTC market, seen as name only); Maxfli (great ball seen as a “el-cheapie”); Top Flite (good balls, just can’t escape the “rock Flite” tattoo!)….yes, about any DTC brand out there…I love my INDI wedges even though they did not test well in MGS Most Wanted….

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I was very pleased to see a couple others mention Maltby.  I love my irons and fairway woods.  I also agree their dtc marketing is a bit old-school which is probably why there are so few of us.  You have to do some digging to discover the brand.  Their business strategies aside, the quality and feel of their clubs are as good as many of the large brands I have tried.   

Callaway Driver

Maltby Irons

Ping Putter

On 3/12/2024 at 4:44 PM, Shrek74 said:

For me, Wilson and Maxfli and the big most obvious brands.

Wilson has been around for generations as is the winningest brand, especially in majors. But now it's all but forgotten. Sadly, it has some of the best irons around (Staff Blades, Staff CB, Dynapower Forged) that no one will game or even try for the most part.

I think Maxfli is well known here on the forum and MGS, but for the most part, they're still looked at like a Top Flite out on most courses. I play them and will continue to do so long into the future.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

The Wilson Staff irons are excellent. I've shot some of my best rounds with Wilson Pi5 irons. Very underrated.

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png - Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-logo-4603BD0EB6-seeklogo_com.png.95cd038f8e27b84c978a567dbe7027d3.png- 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_19_26PM.png.0e838ce6cbc9de2df6485dcfda986883.png - Mkii ZX5 irons - 5-pw True Temper Dynamic Golf Tour Issue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png - Hybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.png - SM7 50* & 56*

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_26_28PM.png.6ca0d107c42a18066bd1852fc547613b.png - ER10 Mallet

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png - Pro Plus

I see a lot of great answers in Wilson, Cobra, Srixon but I don't think my gamer gets enough credit for their equipment .... Mizuno.  I had never played Mizuno until about 10 years ago but they make amazing equipment, the metal woods and drivers are getting better but the irons are just so pure.

In the DTC, I took a chance a couple of years ago with OnCore golf balls and haven't hit anything since.  Once I need more, I plan on trying the Maxfli tour ball as I like to test golf balls side by side hitting a bunch of different shots throughout the golf course.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver 9*

:callaway-small: Mavrik 3 Metal

:callaway-small: Mavrik 5 Metal

:mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal 5-Gap

:callaway-small: 54* Sand Wedge

:callaway-small: 60* Lob Wedge

:scotty-small: Scotty Phantom 5.5 Putter

Golfer BG

My bag has all the underrated brands:  Wilson irons, Cobra F6 driver (+fairway woods & rescue) and the ultimate underappreciated brand - SCOR wedges.

Instructor sought: Teach me how to make 6 foot putts without practice!!!

I agree with a lot of these takes.

Larger scale perspective, I think the data would show that Wilson and Cleveland golf are not appreciated, despite putting out good products (Woods, Putters ranking very highly). 

Smaller scale, I use a SeeMore FGP putter and love it. I think it’s underrated and appreciated for the quality craftsmanship and performance. 

Good thread! 

- Rod Strata

I would say Snell golf balls right there with Maxfli Tour at the 30-35 price point. Cleveland wedges.  I have played them for many years and found that they are better than most and just as good as Vokey's. Lastly, the Wilson irons and woods.  They are back to making a quality product again.  When I first started playing junior golf half the kids, it seemed, had FG17's.  Things went south when they reintroduced the Dynapower again in the early 80's.   They were absolute junk.  Their new offerings are great!

David Staller

Being a club fitter I have to agree with the comments about Tour Edge and Wilson. That being said, I think that the one truly overlooked brand as a whole is Cobra. It’s easy when fitting someone to introduce them to Tour Edge and Wilson as an alternative, especially when cost is a factor. 

Cobra makes great products, their drivers have been excellent for several iterations now. But, I find that the only people that want Cobra are looking for their more nuanced lineups like one length irons, or the AeroJet series for short hitters that need that explosiveness.  Golfers just don’t come into the shop asking to hit the new Cobra product. It’s almost always an afterthought. 

I think Mizuno is. They have some of the best quality control and handforge their irons.  

Brad Lee

Current index is 5.9

Driver - Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Hazurdus 60g

3 Wood - Titleist TSR2 15 Degree Tensi Blue 65g

5 Wood - Titleist TSR2 18 Degree Tensi Blue 65g

Irons 4 - PW Titleist T100 Rifle 6.0

Wedges 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM9 - Rifle 7.0

Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Ball - ProV1

For some older brands that are starting to make a comeback, but were underrated while first around: Adams and Ben Hogan. Adams was consistently a great club producer until being bought out by Taylormade. Ben Hogan also were very consistent and always looked great.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D, 9.0 Degrees

Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline, 15 Degrees

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 2-Iron 18 Degrees

Irons: Cobra LTDx, 5-GW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50, 54 bent to 55, 60)

Putter: LeanLock APA Model Blade/Yes Marilyn C-Groove

Currently Reviewing: Byrdie Golf Design

Past Reviews: Titleist White Box and Lean Lock Putter

For the bigger brands, I think one of the most underrated is Cobra, but just for the bigger oems.  Otherwise I'd have to agree that the dtc brands don't get as much love, but it's tough coming from the late night infomercial image to being a serious contender.

For irons and balls, I would agree it's Srixon - I've played both and they are as good as anything on the market.  As a general rule I think the DTC brands aren't given enough credit - the better companies, i.e. Takomo, Sub70, maybe even Ben Hogan (haven't hit them), all have a high level of quality relative to price.

In the apparel and shoe space, with Nike dropping golf, I think you're going to see a number of new entries in the market that will really impress the consumer.  Its seems this is a real opportunity area, as the Swoosh was so dominant in the market that the consumer didn't have to look very far.  Now you have New Balance, Asics, Squarz and many others who have products that will get greater attention.  In clothing, I love my StraightDown stuff- incredible quality, comfortable and very functional.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

That is a tough one. With all the opportunities that come via traditional media and social media, we are more informed that ever. There are so many great podcasts that do deep dives, to save us time and money. 

I would have to say Srixon and Maxfli. Both solid product lines, but don’t see them in play as frequently. 

Ping G410 LST Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 60

Ping G425 3 and 4 hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 70 S

Ping i525 5-PW project x IO 6.0

Ping Glide Stealth 52,56,60 KBS tour black stiff

Ping PLD Anser 2D

looking to fill a 3 wood vacancy with a 4 wood.

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     GX-7 14°
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      L.A.B Link1 33"
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

I would say Sun Mountain doesn't get enough credit for its quality bags and carts (and clothing).

TaylorMade woods, Callaway irons and wedges, and an Odyssey putter