Where to improve most to lower your handicap?

At the age of 77 I have to look at my current game and laugh at times.  It was not too long ago that I was a low double digit.  Boy have times changed as have the numbers.  One thing that has hurt has been the renovation of our golf course.  I shot my best score ever on our old course on September 13th, which was three days after my 68th birthday, and that was a 69.  Could have been better as we all would say, double bogied the last hole.  Anyhow they have the renovation about 10+ strokes harder.  Seth Raynor style and very severe breaks and greens fast.  Can never really shoot at the flags.  Reason one.  Have to eliminate those triple bogies.  Seem to have at least two a side.  That is 12 strokes.  Reason two.  With the new greens, never consistent, pins seem to always being placed in awkward positions.  Most of the workers who set them do not play golf of understand. Most likely loose another 4-6 strokes each round.  That is a stroke a hole.  Pretty consistent of the tee, keeping it in the short middle grass.   Am working on the short game figure could off another stroke or two.  That gets up to 20, which is about where is handicap is now.  Now the point is, if I would look in the mirror every morning before I leave and convince myself to eliminate those demons, WOW I might even love this game more.  HOW ABOUT YOU.  What can you do to improve you handicap, by the numbers.  I sure could love to play at a 10 for my age and shoot my age.  At this current rate I had better live a long life.  ha...ha...ha...  Hakuna matata.          

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I love that you still have the love for the game. That will go a long way for anyone looking to lower scores. I went from a 10 to a 5 pretty much only due to my putting. Learning to eliminate the 3 putts have been monumental for shaving 4-5 strokes a round. I'm no putting savant but 1 three putt a round compared to 5 improves the swing confidence s well as the score. 

I had a long time member at my course present me with the idea of working backwards on my overall game improvement. Start on the greens with putting, move to short game and bunker play, work the wedges in, then irons, and then woods/drivers. I have dropped as low as a 2 handicap with this method on my own and plan on taking the next step into scratch golf with a more formal golf coach by year end. Keep us updated on progress! Enjoy the ride!

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

For me it is 100% short game.  I don’t get up and down enough for. 25 and in.  I guess I could eliminate that if it hit more greens 😂  been working on this for a few years and have gotten a little better but still costs me lots of strokes.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with @cnosil 
Statistics show that the best way to shoot lower scores is to hit more greens but that can be really hard if you're not a professional so with that being said, getting up and down from off the green is crucial - from the rough, fairway or in a bunker.

Also agree with putting. 
I used to practice making medium length putts along with long ones and short ones but after seeing the statistics regarding make percentage I rarely practice MAKING medium length putts. I try to lag everything inside a 2-3 foot circle and then work on making EVERY SINGLE putt inside 3 feet.

If you're fairly accurate, chase distance. If you aren't accurate enough to keep the ball in play, chase accuracy.

Improve your ball striking - i.e. hit it in the center of the face more often than not - no more thin or chunk shots.

finally - tempo. develop yours and OWN IT. don't change it.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Game inside 150 or 125, either yardage is where most shots occur from.

Attacking pins isn’t the best option, even pros don’t go at most pins. Play to a she spot on the greens.

If the pins are in bad places I would talk to the super and see his thoughts, but it may take time just getting used to me greens from a design and speed person compared to what you are used to.

I would agree with short game and add a consistent shot shape.  Have played with many who didn’t hit the ball very far but hit the same exact every time.  Their short game was fantastic…saw a 73 (+1) where the longest shot was 200 yards.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I would say short game and putting would typically be the answer but I guess I should ask first what your misses are?  

On approach shots are you on or next to the green?  20-40yds short of green?  That may help direct some focus.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I've seen the stat that the biggest difference between scratch and higher handicaps is eliminating double bogeys, as opposed to making more birdies, which even scratch golfers don't make that many more of. The biggest creator of double bogeys for me is driving accuracy -- I put myself in too many really gnarly places where making bogey is no guarantee.  The second is probably putts of 50-feet+, where it might've even been better to miss a green and chip then to have a triple breaker... But in terms of immediate results and not having to engrain swing changes over months, being automatic from 5-feet and in goes a long way.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

I agree with the others.  Putting practice at this point has allowed me (and I actually keep track) to make more 3,4,5, &6 footers in a round, and has reduced my 3 putts on longer putts.

Secondly, not sure how many rounds you have on the new greens, but would hope that as you play them more, some information will come to light, to ensure being being below the hole on some greens, play short because everything rolls off the back of that one...I would hope.  Reminds me of one course when first playing it.  Hated It.  Then after realizing that there were 4-5 holes that were score wreckers if you got above the pin, and hopefully preventing this, its now one of our favorite layouts.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

@ChuckZ a lot of great advice here. I took the off season to rebuild my game, and took a similar path to @CorporateGolfRat. I worked from the green backwards. I spent the first half of my off season just on putting, chipping, pitching, and wedges. Sounds like you’re good off the tee, so here are my thoughts.

• I don’t know how your blowups are happening  — but for me if I get myself in trouble I just try to get the hole back on track. No hero shots. Get back to the fairway. 
  • I may three putt once or twice but usually I’m two or less. I spent a lot of time focusing on starting my putts straight so I can get them on line. For me if I can get my putt within 5’ there’s a good chance I’ll make it. My putting average is around 34 — I get lucky sometimes.
  • On my approach shot I go for the center of the green. I figure if that’s how Nicklaus did it, then it’s good enough for me.

Good luck and just enjoy the round!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

19 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

HOW ABOUT YOU.  What can you do to improve you handicap, by the numbers. 

For me, I need improved ball-striking.  I fit the image of a "typical" player, Strokes Gained research suggests that the difference between one handicap level and another is largely ball-striking, with short game and putting having a smaller impact.  I'm working on regaining distance using the Stack system, distance I've lost over the past 4 or 5 years (I'm now 68).  I need to also make time for range sessions, just working on repeating the same swing every time, improving consistent contact.  Those improvements will help me hit more greens in regulation, and get closer when I hit them.  GIR has the best correlation to score of any of the traditional statistics.

None of this is intended to say that I can't improve my chipping and putting.  I certainly can do that, and will use some of my practice time to that end.  But the biggest pay-off will come from improved driving and iron play.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I am a data nerd so for me statistics/data is the best way to determine areas for improvement.  But you also need to understand the data.  Example, let's say you have a very poor greens in regulation number.  Is that because you are constantly hitting your second second shot out of the trees or rough?  That would indicate a driver/tee shot issue.  Or like others have mentioned in this post, are you shooting for really tight pin placements which could affect GIR numbers.  So break down the data to help focus on areas for improvement.  You may have a few areas but improvement in one area can lead to improvement in another area.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2, 9.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 max, 15.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

5 wood: TaylorMade Burner (old school)

Irons:

4-PW - PXG-0311XP-Gen3, Modus Pro 105-R shafts

48 Deg wedge, Calloway Jaws

52 Deg wedge, Ping

56 Deg sandwedge, Powerbilt (had is since high school)

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder  

Knowing your weakness is half the battle. I am by no means a data junkie. I have the equipment to analyze if needed but I know what my weakness is.

I find it’s getting harder and harder to maintain my current handicap. Being in my mid 60’s I am loosing distance. This is putting pressure on the weak part of my game which is the 150 to 170 range. It’s not that I’m not working on it but it is an obstacle that I need to find a way to fix.
My short game is my go to to save par and make birdies on par 5’s. I am good with my woods which are 7, 5, 3, and the driver.  
But as anything in golf it’s a work in progress. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Several years ago I made a commitment to practice my chipping and putting.  I practiced chipping using lob wedge to 9 iron and discovered getting up and down from off the green became more frequent.  The same thing with putting; with practice, those knee knocker short putts become easier when you have the confidence that you are going to make a good stroke.  Also, my number of 3 putts per round went down significantly.  To this day, I still practice putting daily on a mat at home and before rounds.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

Toura Golf CB 5-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° GW and Corey Paul wedges 52° and 57°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

All great advice above. Know yourself, as you've discovered is changing each year especially as we accrue "years of wisdom".  My two cents is continue to play, continue to enjoy, play from the correct tees and don't let egos interfere.  Yeah, I used to clear that creek from here, but that was 10 years ago. Should I really try it?

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On 4/3/2024 at 11:04 AM, ChuckZ said:

At the age of 77 I have to look at my current game and laugh at times.  It was not too long ago that I was a low double digit.  Boy have times changed as have the numbers.  One thing that has hurt has been the renovation of our golf course.  I shot my best score ever on our old course on September 13th, which was three days after my 68th birthday, and that was a 69.  Could have been better as we all would say, double bogied the last hole.  Anyhow they have the renovation about 10+ strokes harder.  Seth Raynor style and very severe breaks and greens fast.  Can never really shoot at the flags.  Reason one.  Have to eliminate those triple bogies.  Seem to have at least two a side.  That is 12 strokes.  Reason two.  With the new greens, never consistent, pins seem to always being placed in awkward positions.  Most of the workers who set them do not play golf of understand. Most likely loose another 4-6 strokes each round.  That is a stroke a hole.  Pretty consistent of the tee, keeping it in the short middle grass.   Am working on the short game figure could off another stroke or two.  That gets up to 20, which is about where is handicap is now.  Now the point is, if I would look in the mirror every morning before I leave and convince myself to eliminate those demons, WOW I might even love this game more.  HOW ABOUT YOU.  What can you do to improve you handicap, by the numbers.  I sure could love to play at a 10 for my age and shoot my age.  At this current rate I had better live a long life.  ha...ha...ha...  Hakuna matata.          

Chuck, we are all facing the challenges that you are facing; we may be at different levels, but we need to work on the same things.  I turn 77 next month.  I’ve also lost distance the past few years, although I didn’t have that much to begin with.  😂  As with others here my scores came down when I worked on my short game and putting… as well as move up a tee box when I turned 75.

Your reason one:  Yes, eliminate those dreaded “others” as well as doubles.  I hate to make doubles!!  What causes those triples and doubles?  Focus on why your scores are high on those holes; are they the same holes?  

Have to eliminate those triple bogies.  Seem to have at least two a side.  That is 12 strokes.  Is it really??  Compared to par, yes; but likely it’s probably 6 shots depending on the difficulty of the holes.

My issues come from approaches to the green from outside 100 yards, so I work on ball striking.  However, I always work on short game and putting because I miss a lot of GIR.  When the short game is on, I can shoot my age by saving pars… I don’t make many birdies.  I find that when I skip my weekly short game and putting practice, my save percentage drops quickly.

Your reason two:  You essentially have a new course to learn.  Maybe the course workers are putting pins in difficult spots, but that job is usually reserved for someone who knows what they are doing.  Actually, there is a procedure for laying out pin positions; talk to your pro to see if they have one.  It’s easier to play well on a familiar course, and it sounds like you just haven’t learned where you can miss and where you can’t.  As you play the new course more, you will figure it out.  I wouldn’t worry about that right now… just play more.  Spend time on those difficult greens getting to know the speed and breaks.  Took me a year to learn the breaks on a couple of our holes when I first moved to this course.  I swore that putts were breaking uphill.  😂

Good luck!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

At least for me it is penalties off the tee. Most everywhere else I am good or don't loose too many strokes. The rounds I have things working well off the tee I find I am making easy birides and just needing to capitalize on putting. The rounds where things are struggling is when I need to scramble and things just don't run as well. 

For me my tee game sets the tone for the round and the results and is where I can best lower my scores. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 3 months later...

Ive dropped my average round by 5-10 strokes per round by focusing on 120 yards and in.  I read above that someone mentioned eliminating 3 putts was big and he was right.  Approach shots, chips, and putting were killing my game.  Granted its still on life support but its showing signs of life now.

Driver AI Smoke MAX 10.5

Paradym 3 and 5 wood

APEX UW

Big Bertha 2019 Irons

JAWS Wedges 

Odyssey Marxman O works putter.

8 minutes ago, JC24 said:

Ive dropped my average round by 5-10 strokes per round by focusing on 120 yards and in.  I read above that someone mentioned eliminating 3 putts was big and he was right.  Approach shots, chips, and putting were killing my game.  Granted its still on life support but its showing signs of life now.

Congrats! I remember Tiger Woods saying that he basically learned the game from the green backwards. I know others will say distance off the tee is more important than three putting. But I think you take a lot of pressure off yourself when you know you can always two putt and have a solid approach.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

John Daly made a comment also about learning to play from 120 in and that everyone on tour can hit driver.  It made sense to me and has held true to my game.  Still cant hit driver but getting better.

Driver AI Smoke MAX 10.5

Paradym 3 and 5 wood

APEX UW

Big Bertha 2019 Irons

JAWS Wedges 

Odyssey Marxman O works putter.

I still go back to the statistics.  Take two groups of golfers, with maybe a 10-stroke handicap difference.  Full swing performance differences will account for 6 to 7 strokes of the difference, short game and putting will account for 3 or 4 strokes.  I think for most folks its faster and easier to improve putting and chipping, its a much longer and tougher task to improve full swings, but full swings is where you'll really get yourself into a better-performing group.  Hit it longer, hit it straighter, hit more greens.  Don't ignore short game or putting, every facet is important.  And don't ignore your own gam's strengths and weaknesses, work on the weak stuff no matter what it is.  Its more fun to work on things you do well, its more productive to do the hard work to improve a weakness.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I still go back to the statistics.  Take two groups of golfers, with maybe a 10-stroke handicap difference.  Full swing performance differences will account for 6 to 7 strokes of the difference, short game and putting will account for 3 or 4 strokes.  I think for most folks its faster and easier to improve putting and chipping, its a much longer and tougher task to improve full swings, but full swings is where you'll really get yourself into a better-performing group.  Hit it longer, hit it straighter, hit more greens.  Don't ignore short game or putting, every facet is important.  And don't ignore your own gam's strengths and weaknesses, work on the weak stuff no matter what it is.  Its more fun to work on things you do well, its more productive to do the hard work to improve a weakness.

Agree. I’ve had conversations with some teaching pros about practice time. Some have said 1:1 for amount of time working on swing and short game. A couple have said if spending 1 hour on swing spend 2 on short game. 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Agree. I’ve had conversations with some teaching pros about practice time. Some have said 1:1 for amount of time working on swing and short game. A couple have said if spending 1 hour on swing spend 2 on short game. 

I know another teacher who suggests kind of the opposite, 2/3 on full swing, the rest on putting and short game.  The reason is that it takes more effort to improve full swing mechanics.  Personally, I think the most important thing is to understand where your weaknesses are, and concentrate the bulk of your time on bringing those area up to the level of your strengths.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

23 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Personally, I think the most important thing is to understand where your weaknesses are, and concentrate the bulk of your time on bringing those area up to the level of your strengths.

Agree here

For me, it's adapting to course conditions. E.g., this past weekend, I shot a 91 on a tough but not impossible course. I was hitting it pretty well off the tee, making good contact overall, and putting alright. But I was struggling with how soggy some of the course was, or hitting from side-slopes. As a result, I was less confident in my shots and made plenty of mistakes that led to blow up holes (two doubles and a triple). 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.