Which players distance irons are the best you ever hit?

Javs

If you don’t mind stretching the definition of Mid Handicap to 17, i’ll chip in. 

I have hit several of these models over the last 5 or 6 years where they have become “a thing”.  My current top 3 

1) Wilson DynaPower Forged- a great feeling iron that sounds great and gives you the pop of most GI irons. 

2) Titleist T200 (2023 version) See above in all ways and a great looking iron.  

3) PING I530- i need some more time with these and trying a couple different shafts to see what i will order.  But they have the potential in my early time with them to jump to 2 and possibly 1.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm a 9. I just got fit last week, and ended up ordering Ping i530, so that's my favorite. The Pings were noticeably better than anything else for my low toe miss. If I didn't have that miss I might have gone with the TM P790, so that's my second choice. These two were a step better than everything else I tried, but I probably could have been happy with any of them. That was probably due to the shaft choices we were looking at that all worked better than my current shafts, which are now too light for my newly rebuilt swing. My third choice would probably be the Srixon ZX5. I also hit the Cobra Forged Tec, Mizuno 923 Forged, and Titleist T200. The only one that I didn't care for was the Titleist. They weren't bad by any stretch,  but something about them at address didn't vibe with me (maybe because it was the most compact head).

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Currently game the PXG 0311 Gen 5 P. Hit the 6 but not with the upgrade IMO. When I was getting new irons I hit the TM P790, the Mizuno 923 HM Pros, and Callaway Apex. Have hit the Wilson Dynapower Forged and Mizuno Pro 245 this year. By far the Mizuno Pro 245. If I were buying new irons this year those would be my go to

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

26 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If you don’t mind stretching the definition of Mid Handicap to 17, i’ll chip in. 

I have hit several of these models over the last 5 or 6 years where they have become “a thing”.  My current top 3 

1) Wilson DynaPower Forged- a great feeling iron that sounds great and gives you the pop of most GI irons. 

2) Titleist T200 (2023 version) See above in all ways and a great looking iron.  

3) PING I530- i need some more time with these and trying a couple different shafts to see what i will order.  But they have the potential in my early time with them to jump to 2 and possibly 1.  

Thank you for jumping in and all are invited to comment!

Play like a champion today!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Quite a few years ago when I went to the PGA Show and awarded what I thought was the best of every category, one or two clubs always stood out. But in the last 5 years or so, every OEM makes great clubs and I think it pretty much comes down to personal preference. 

3) P790's were my first distance iron and I loved them in the soft Midwest conditions. But moving to Phoenix with hard fast winter greens where it can be difficult to find your ball mark (because there isn't one) I needed more spin to hold the greens. I switched to P760's. 

2) King Forged Tec was a great improvement over the previous model with less offset and a thinner top line. Still produced just a hair less spin than I needed so I went with the King Tours. My playing partner is a high spin iron player as he flips through impact and produces a ton of spin, especially with his short irons. I put in some Dynamic Gold shafts in the KFT's  and the combo is working very well for him. 

1) For me, the '23 Titleist T200's check every box. Love the look at address with just the right size head, very little offset and the thinest top line of any players distance I have seen. The combination of distance, trajectory and spin suit my iron game perfectly. They also feel better than any hollow headed iron I have hit and if I didn't know they were hollow, I would have guessed they were a solid forged CB.  

Thank you for the detailed response. Looks like the Titleist 2023 200’s are getting great reviews! I highly agree with your putting DG shafts in your buddy’s irons. I love the DG 120 Tour Issues.

Edited by Javs

4 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

Currently game the PXG 0311 Gen 5 P. Hit the 6 but not with the upgrade IMO. When I was getting new irons I hit the TM P790, the Mizuno 923 HM Pros, and Callaway Apex. Have hit the Wilson Dynapower Forged and Mizuno Pro 245 this year. By far the Mizuno Pro 245. If I were buying new irons this year those would be my go to

I have always liked PXG 0311 P’s. I am holding off till the Gen 7’s come out.

12 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

I'm a 9. I just got fit last week, and ended up ordering Ping i530, so that's my favorite. The Pings were noticeably better than anything else for my low toe miss. If I didn't have that miss I might have gone with the TM P790, so that's my second choice. These two were a step better than everything else I tried, but I probably could have been happy with any of them. That was probably due to the shaft choices we were looking at that all worked better than my current shafts, which are now too light for my newly rebuilt swing. My third choice would probably be the Srixon ZX5. I also hit the Cobra Forged Tec, Mizuno 923 Forged, and Titleist T200. The only one that I didn't care for was the Titleist. They weren't bad by any stretch,  but something about them at address didn't vibe with me (maybe because it was the most compact head).

Funny how courses and equipment have different looks to each golfer. Many like the 200’s and obviously they don’t fit your eye. I have never hit the Srixon or Cobra irons. I was never a fan of Mizuno. 

I'm a big fan of my Mizuno JPX921 Forged irons that i got fitted for a couple years ago. I tried a number of irons when I got fit, but I loved the soft feel and the dispersion I had in testing. And they've played well for me. I actually had them bent a degree weak for a steeper decent angle.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

I love my Srixon combo of the zx7's and zx5's.

Titleist does well at the distance irons and mixing the bag.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I think the combo Titleist T-200 is hard to beat with the T-150 in the shorter irons.  If money is not an issue, I would buy these with the Fujikura Axiom 105s.  Since that's not the case, I am actually really happy with my stock Takomo 101Ts with KBS Tour Lites.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

I’ve played the 790s and now the forced tecs. Forced tecs for me are a much better fit strictly based on feel. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I have 2 sets currently in my possession, that mostly fit the bill. Titleist T200/T150 combo set. I love the feel of the T150’s but the T200’s feel muted to me. They are great irons, but the search for “feel” led me to a combo set of ZX5/ZX7 MKII. It’s probably recency bias, but I am absolutely smitten with these irons and they will be my gamer set for this season. I’ve had a few sets of Srixon now, and these are the best irons Srixon has produced, bar none.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

I currently have Ping i525 Power Spec and Taylormade P790 Black second addition. Both have KBS TGI shafts. 90g in the Pings and 80g in the P790’s. 

Both are fine irons. I got the Pings second hand and was not terribly pleased with them initially. They just seemed to be lower and longer than I really wanted. When I looked closely at the shafts one day, I noticed they had a little sticker that said “Power Spec” which sort of explained it, and I began to like them more. They are great in the wind, but tend to run out on the green. Less loft and less spin equals more run out. However, this is perhaps more related to the power specs than the irons itself. They are very forgiving and I like them a lot. 

The P790’s are an older model, I bought them new after a New Year’s Eve drink or two. The P790’s are the first irons I have ever had that the distance didn’t tend to jam up together. They transition smoothly from the G wedge to the 4 iron. 

Both P790 and i525 are very neutral left to right. The P790’s are better front to back distance, but of course they have a touch more loft (1.5°) and thus spin and launch. i525’s are about a half of club longer (7 yards) but that’s to be expected. 

Overall, both are fine irons, and if I had to recommend one over the other it would be the Pings. Why? Pings are simply more durable. You can pound balls, drop them, put them in a blender, and they are still Pings.

I don’t love the Power Specs but that may soon change. I’m not used to the distance because I’ve mostly played the P790’s. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: iCrossover 4 on Graphite Design AD DI 7S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

IMG_0245.PNG.816bb3943302dcc5d21a2bf93e8badea.PNGIMG_2003.jpeg.dadea47adefbc927bf00a2100fb595cd.jpegI’m still playing the Taylormade P7 MC 5-PW with (R) flex Aerotech I95 steel fiber 

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Funny,  when people list their choices they add combos or players irons as their selection.   I know some irons cross boundaries but my Players Distance clubs would be:

Honma TR20P

Srixon ZX5 but these have been great since the 565s.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

IMG_0245.PNG.816bb3943302dcc5d21a2bf93e8badea.PNGIMG_2003.jpeg.dadea47adefbc927bf00a2100fb595cd.jpegI’m still playing the Taylormade P7 MC 5-PW with (R) flex Aerotech I95 steel fiber 

I like mid cavity blades and not a real big fan of “player distance “ irons . I believe that you should play what makes you play your best golf though .

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Funny,  when people list their choices they add combos or players irons as their selection.   I know some irons cross boundaries but my Players Distance clubs would be:

Honma TR20P

Srixon ZX5 but these have been great since the 565s.   

Haha. I thought about that prior to writing my selections, but I also figured with who was asking and made some assumptions.  

And yes.... I know what assuming does. 😆

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Funny,  when people list their choices they add combos or players irons as their selection.

... Kinda how forums and social media seems to work. Ask what you favorite sports car is and someone chimes in with their pick up truck. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Kinda how forums and social media seems to work. Ask what you favorite sports car is and someone chimes in with their pick up truck. 🤪

Hey everyone, share your favorite kind of pancakes?

Pancakes?  Why pancakes?  You hate waffles?

Anyways…I’ve only hit one and it was this one. Absolutely phenomenal irons and wholly underrated. The Maltby TS1. 

IMG_4323.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

38 minutes ago, chisag said:

Is it a sporty truck? Ha ha ha

7 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Hey everyone, share your favorite kind of pancakes?

Pancakes?  Why pancakes?  You hate waffles?

Anyways…I’ve only hit one and it was this one. Absolutely phenomenal irons and wholly underrated. The Maltby TS1. 

IMG_4323.jpeg

Very nice looking club and never heard of it.

5 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I love my Srixon combo of the zx7's and zx5's.

Titleist does well at the distance irons and mixing the bag.  

How are your Srixon combos set? Which of each and did you make the lofts stronger in the 7’s?

11 hours ago, Javs said:

Very nice looking club and never heard of it.

Maltby is making some excellent golf clubs, and not just irons. I played a mixed set of their TS1 and TS2 irons, and I currently have a (partial) set of their TS1 IM irons —

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts1-im-iron/p/ma0344/

image.png.e0e05821e657cb2a30988cd15935cdf7.png

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

Maltby is making some excellent golf clubs, and not just irons. I played a mixed set of their TS1 and TS2 irons, and I currently have a (partial) set of their TS1 IM irons —

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts1-im-iron/p/ma0344/

Thank you for the information! Are they comparable to other players distance clubs?

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

Thank you for the information! Are they comparable to other players distance clubs?

Very. Super forgiving and the price is hard to beat. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

20 minutes ago, Javs said:

How are your Srixon combos set? Which of each and did you make the lofts stronger in the 7’s?

The zx5s I carry 4,5 and 6.

Zx7s 7-pw. 

Pw is 46* and then I carry 50,54,58 sm9s

The gapping between the 7 and 6 irons is about 5 extra yards but I fix that by choking down on the 6 if it's in-between. 

I have been impressed with the feel off the face and turf interaction with the soles.