Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

Takomo Long Game - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Posted (edited)

Hello spies, my name is Jim Shaw and I would like to introduce myself to everyone. However before I do I would like to thank My Golf Spy and Takomo Golf for this awesome opportunity to test their products and report back to you. 

Currently I am living in a small town on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Near Victoria BC. 

I am a member at Olympic View Golf Club and play or practice 3-4 days a week. 

When I receive the woods, I ordered the 3 wood and the 7 wood, I intend to put them into play immediately. I will turn the 3 wood to 13 degrees (almost like a mini driver) and my plan for the 7 wood is to turn it to 23 degrees to try and replace my 5 iron carry distance. 

I am a competitive 65 year old golfer and have been winning golf tournaments since 1974, Here is an article from our local newspaper in the town I was born in, Mission BC. I am the young fella on the right, looking at the picture. 

image.png

Here I am last week, 50 years later winning the Zone 5, senior and super senior trophy. 

image.png

I applied for the Takomo long club test as I am currently gaming their MB 301 series irons and they are performing very well for me so look forward to seeing how their long clubs perform.

More to come!

Hello everyone, a bit of an update as I haven't posted much on this site due to the fact my clubs have not been shipped yet. I kind of expected this as Takomo was up front and said the 3 wood was delayed due to being out of stock, so understandable for sure. I have been following my fellow testers and checking the look of the product etc. and am looking forward to getting my email that they have been shipped... 

"Zippidy do dah, Zippidy eh" guess what, I received my shipping notice this morning from Takomo... What a great message to wake up to... 

On a side note, I wore my Takomo hat yesterday in the tournament I played in and two of my foursome came over and asked me about the clubs, the marketing seems to working through youtube etc. 

"ROUND ROUND GET AROUND I GET AROUND"

This little package has got some serious air miles on it, expected to arrive soon and from the looks of it, it is in Victoria, now I am starting to get excited...

Your order is in transit

Expected to arrive on Wed, Jun 5

Times are in local time of the checkpoint location.

Jun 4, 2024

3:40 pm

On the WayUPS

Chek Lap Kok, HK, Hong Kong

Jun 4, 2024

3:21 pm

On the WayUPS

Jun 4, 2024

12:12 pm

On the WayUPS

Victoria, BC, CA, Canada

Jun 4, 2024

12:12 pm

On the WayUPS

Victoria, BC, CA, Canada

Jun 4, 2024

11:57 am

Cleared Import CustomsUPS

Richmond, BC, CA, Canada

Jun 4, 2024

10:27 am

On the WayUPS

Anchorage, AK, US, United States

Jun 4, 2024

9:01 am

On the WayUPS

Anchorage, AK, US, United States

Jun 3, 2024

7:47 pm

On the WayUPS

Jun 3, 2024

7:47 pm

On the WayUPS

Jun 3, 2024

2:58 pm

Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.UPS

HK, Hong Kong

IMG_0693.jpeg.d5d278b734c21333431aebe13e9155b7.jpeg

So… this happy young man stopped by yesterday with good news and bad!! The good news is he delivered 1 of 4 packages, the bad news is he delivered 1 of 4 packages!! He guaranteed the other 3 would be delivered either Thursday or Friday.. yaaa hoo!! Looking forward to introducing the 3 and 7 wood to the rest of my Takomo family, (dreading having to tell my 5 iron he may be put in the “bin” to make room for the 7 wood turned to a 9 wood… I will cross that bridge when I come to it!! 

Edited by Jim Shaw

committed to performance excellence

Posted (edited)

Introduction

Hi everyone!

My name is Nicolas Stohler, also known as @ToastedSoul, and I'm thrilled to be one of the chosen testers. A huge shout-out to MGS, the moderators, and Takomo for this fantastic opportunity to test the Takomo Long Game clubs!

At 48, I live near Zurich, Switzerland, with my family. As a software developer, I've always found solace in sports. Bouldering was my previous passion, challenging me weekly. However, golf has now taken center stage in my life, offering a new realm of strategy and precision that resonates with my love for problem-solving.

Although I'm at the beginning of my golf journey, my commitment to improving my technique is unwavering. Balancing family, work, and golf is no small feat, and I'm determined to earn my handicap, overcoming the hurdles of the Swiss system (for more on this, see GolfSpy_APH’s article).

IMG_20240520_182335-intro-post.jpg.9775a168ba801317acc417e428bf9ebc.jpg
On the way home after a wood practice session. (Not my car in the background).

Transitioning from a 6-hole academy course (par 3 holes only) to the demanding champion course, I recognize the game-changing potential of driver and fairway woods. Keeping the ball on the course is my biggest challenge at this time. My current arsenal includes the Cobra King F9 fairway woods 5 & 7, which I've been analyzing through Trackman sessions. The Takomo woods will be rigorously tested on the course and tracked with my ShotScope V5 watch. I've chosen to test the 5 & 7 woods from Takomo for the following reasons: they are nicely gapping between my 5 iron and my driver, and I really like to hit those clubs. I've been on the edge to test on of the  Takomo utility/driving irons, but decided against it for now, since I had the feeling that this would introduce more complexity into my bag. I still might pick one up at a later date...

Let’s see if the Takomo fairway woods can overthrow the kings and earn their spot in my bag.

IMG_20240520_173358-intro-post-clubs.jpg.41d67e92484de64ad857a11272fa04c8.jpg
The kings are not suspecting anything…yet.

Home practice is on the horizon, too, once I sort out a minor setback with my practice net (a golfer's patience is truly tested on and off the course!). I'm also looking forward to incorporating data from the Rapsodo MLM2 Pro into my review.

I can't wait to embark on this testing adventure and share my findings with you all.

Edited by ToastedSoul

---

Introduction

Hello everyone, my name is Adam Walsh and I am currently in Northern Utah. Mountain golf is something everyone should experience in their life! Utah has some absolute PURE courses with jaw dropping views. 

image.png.03a9cf1b7dbbaf7d123447938d2cb7bf.png

I started playing golf (seriously) in 2016. I am a converted baseball player so speed and power are my strengths but controlling the ball was my biggest challenge. My golf game has skyrocketed over the last two years. I made the decision to put more effort into learning and fine tuning my golf game and I am really seeing the returns from that decision. I play in local golf tournaments and have access to a really nice golf simulator. I practice daily but usually play every weekend on the course and a couple days in the simulator each week. 

I am a big fan of Youtube golf content and Takomo has definitely established a strong presence with its product. I have heard really good things about Takomo irons, so I have high expectations for the woods. I am testing a 3 and 5 wood. I currently don't have these clubs in bag at the moment but I am hoping the results leave no doubt as to why they will earn a spot in the bag. I chose the 3 wood because on short par 4's I choke down on the driver and do a softer swing, which is usually an inconsistent shot. I think a 3 wood will be able to replace that type of shot so I can have a normal swing and also have a more forgiving club for long shots into par 5's. I chose the 5 wood so I can have the option on the tee box for longer par 3's. After researching Takomo Ignis Woods, I am excited for the adjustable loft sleeve and weights. This gives a golfer the chance to tailor the club to their own game. In my testing I will be conducting some R&D with the adjustability and will be able to confirm with data on the simulator. 

Posted (edited)

Hello GOLFSPYS! 

My name is Guy Howell III, I have the same name as my father and my grandfather. I currently live in the metro Atlanta area ,in the small town of Social Circle , Georgia and have lived here since 1976. My wife and I , are enjoying retirement after me working for Norfolk Southern Railroad for 34 years , as  a locomotive engineer . 

I did not start playing golf , until I was in my mid 30's, and played very little , account of my long hours working , family , responsibilities ,  church  and everything else. Finally, after many years of acquiring seniority, I started  to play some  on the weekends but never broke 80. So , one of my goals was to break 80 consistently when I retired. Now that I have been retired, I have steadily improved and now I am in the low 70's -mid 70's range . At the moment , I am wanting to break 70 and putting in the work to do so. I am confident that it will happen and it is just a matter of time. The strength of my game is my driver , fairway woods , wedges and putter. The irons are what  I am working hard on and I am started to see good things developing.

Us guys , winning the chance to test these clubs is a thrill , in itself ! I am currently playing a Taylormade  Stealth 2 HL 3 wood & 7 wood and will be getting the Takomo 5 & 7 woods ,with the Hazardous Red RDX stiff shaft. The comparisons will be rigorous with me personally. The one thing that I really like is the aesthetics , profile and the adjustability with these clubs. Not only can you adjust the loft and face ,but you can adjust the weights in the bottom ,to your particular needs. My plan , is to put these woods into my bag immediately ,to play.  Sorry guys , I  am not much of a tech person , but I will give unbiased information on my thoughts , performance ,  workability and more. With me playing 3-4 times a week ,the real test in on the golf course, even though I will  practice and test on my range too.

IMG_9455.png

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Congratulations to all the testers. It will be interesting to see how well the Takomo woods perform. Will they be as good as their irons?  Inquiring minds would like to know. Have fun guys. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

Congrats Testers!

Should be a great test and I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Congrats testers. Looking to get my son a set of these this summer and I’ll be following along to see if we should add their long game clubs as well. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Congrats all! Looking forward to seeing how these compare with your current gamers. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Really looking forward to this review, been wanting a 2-iron for a long time (BOMBS). Takomo is interesting to me because I know nothing about them, but the price is intriguing, so I will be checking this review often to get an idea before investing. 

I game the Cobra Aerojet LS, Callaway Apex CB irons, and some Taylormade MG3 wedges. Hit it high, let it fly. 

Congratulation, testers!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Congrats to all, look forward to seeing your opinions!

Callaway Mavrik Driver 9* w/ Aldila Rogue 130 MSI stiff

Callaway Mavrik 4 wood w/ Evenflow Riptide Stiff

Callaway Mavrik 3 and 4 hybrid w/ blackout graphite 5.5 shafts

Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW w/ Project X LZ blackout regular flex steel shafts

Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black w/ Project X blackout graphite wedge flex shafts

Ping Zing putter iWi w/ superstroke pistol grip

17 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Takomo-24-TW.jpg

Please welcome and congratulate our testers!

@Jim Shaw 

@ToastedSoul 

@Big Deal Walsh 

@THE GOLF GUY

Congrats to the testers!! I look forward to hearing about the woods and how they compare to the other OEMs. Good luck all!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Can't wait to see what the testers say!

Driver: Mizuno STZ, HZRDUS Smoke Green 60S, 9.5 Degree 

3 Wood:  Taylormade M2 (2019)

Hybrids:  Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 degree, Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4

Irons:  Adams XTD (Looking to upgrade!)

Wedges:  Taylormade Milled Grind

Putter:  Odyssey #7

Ball: Vice Pro Plus, Taylormade Tp5x, Kirkland 

Push Cart Mafia - Clicgear 4.0  (See more here)

Congrats testers! I have been putting off getting the Ignis 7-wood for too long and this will definitely push me over the edge into that purchase if it performs as well as I have read!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

Congratulations on your selection testers! Very excited to see/read how these stack up against the big brands! Hit them well!

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

I'll be joining the testers on this one - it's about time I finally get my woods dialed in, so this is the perfect opportunity!  Can't wait to get these in-hand and get some data!  Excited to join an awesome group of testers!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Congratulations testers!!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Congratulations Testers!! 

Looking forward to learning more about Takomo Clubs!  At least Takomo sends a wrench with their drivers 🤣, unlike Callaway 🤣⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Congrats to all those selected! Looking forward to seeing the results!

WITB:

Driver: Cobra AeroJet LS: 9.0° (@8.0D) | Shaft: Speeder Evo III 661X

Fairway: Cobra AeroJet LS: 14.5° (@13.5D°) | Shaft: Speeder Evo III 757X

Fairway: Cobra AeroJet LS: 17.5° (@17.5D°) | Shaft: Speeder Evo III 857X

UT Iron: Wilson Staff Model UT 21° (@22°) | Shaft: Graphite Design DI 95G X

Irons: Wilson Staff Model CB (5-PW) | Shaft: Project X 6.5 (+.5")

Wedges: Wilson PMP (50*, 55*, 60*) | Shaft: TT S400 TI

Putter: Evnroll Neo Classic 2 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

Congratulations to all the testers. It will be interesting to see how well the Takomo woods perform. Will they be as good as their irons?  Inquiring minds would like to know. Have fun guys. 

I’m a Taylormade fairway wood player at the moment but if the smallest thing helps me play better you can bet that I will forgo loyalty in lieu of a better club any day of the week! Looking forward to see how they compare from the fairway to the tee box , ability to hit fades and draws , how they sound and feel . Nothing will go unnoticed by me and will try my very best to be unbiased in my assessments of the two fairway woods that I will be playing (5&7 woods ) . At face value , I love the aesthetics and love the top of the club without the dots , arrows , alignment aids if you will . Our thanks to Takomo for allowing us to test their products and I’m hopeful for good results in the end .

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS