Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Eidolon vs. SCOR wedges

SeeRed

OK, so I've had my Eidolon wedges in the bag for about two years (ages in golfers terms) and for various reasons am considering replacing them. I want slightly stronger lofts in them for one and should probably just have them bent, but me being a golfer and golfers being who they are, I may want to buy new stuff instead. I can read all about the differences between the Eidolon and SCOR wedges, but am wondering if anyone has directly compared the two in play. I tend to take a heavier divot with my wedges.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I have not compared the two but I do play Scor now and am expanding that to where I will have Scor in the bag from 9 iron down to 58*. I assume you know that Scor is Eidolon's new brand?

As to taking divot's with Scor wedges, I have really not found a lie where the Scor clubs do not perform. I was playing on bent grass all weekend, ripping huge pelts and enjoying the heck out of it! My home course is bluegrass and there I play a shallower swing and they do great there too. I think what I am coming to appreciate most about the Scor clubs is the progressive weighting. Since I play on alot of bluegrass, it is pretty common to catch a ball a couple grooves high on the face. The way the Scor clubs are weighted, they have a little more muscle up a little higher, which means that they do not have the same dead feel and go just as I want even when I catch one a few grooves high. I like this not only with the full swing, but also with little chips and pitches where I close the club down a bit.

I guess all I can say is that I was a huge Mizuno MP-R wedge fan, have had 3 sets of those in various lofts. I had a Scratch wedge that I really love, and a Cleveland spin milled thing that was the right loft and performed well but I never really connected with. All those are now in my garage, and my PW and 9 are soon to be Scor as well. So they made my bag and I'm more than pleased with them.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Better distance control with the SCOR's over the Eidolons. Whatever they did in the design, works better with the SCOR's. Aside from a set of Vokey's that I've had dialed in, I've never used a wedge that was so consistent distance wise as the SCOR's and that includes the Eidolons. I've got a number of pictures kicking around where I have multiple shots in a row to a green and the distance between the balls is a 33" putter.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

R.P. there is only one place in Kansas City that carries Scor. Coincidentally (or perhaps not?) they happen to be carried by the best and most respected fitter in town.

To keep typing (because I like it!), the V-Sole grind on Scor clubs is really great as well. As I said, I liked the Mizzy MP-R, which has a pretty aggressive trailing edge grind on it. That was why I liked it. In comparison, the V-Sole on Scor is not ground nearly as aggressively as the MP-R. The grind starts a couple millimeters deeper and does not fall of nearly as quickly. What I've found to be the case with this is that the Scor wedge is much easier to set square than the MP-R but there is enough grind that they lay down just as well as the MP-R when opened up for a high flop or out of the heavy river sand common around here. I know I'm a fanboy but they really are the best of both worlds!

Richard,

What Tyk said - the other very unique thing about the Scor wedge that hasn't been mentioned here or elsewhere yet is its grip. When I lay my scors next to my Pings the scor grip is an inch longer down the shaft. It actually has two dots on it that make it very easy to grip the club down the same inch, a real inch not a guessed inch, every time. I think that's a part of the distance dialing in that Super Tuna noted. The first few times you do this are wierd because you are in effect on the metal with one of your old wedges but man its easy to get used to and it produces very consistent results.

In fact I'm in the process of having two flop shots to play, the standard one gripped normally where I let clubhead speed get the ball way up in the air on a short shot (going over a tree or some such thing to a tight pin by the green. The other one is from the gripped down position, it's for a tight pin that doesn't require as much height but still a steep descent and some spin - it's a crazy shot because it feels like your knuckles will scrape the ground.

Of course you could also mark your own grips in some way to gain that consistency with your gripping the club down - I've always had trouble with that. I just marked my driver grip because I need to have that shaft cut down an inch (long story.) At any rate I don't know why I didn't think of this before but it makes sense to have a mark an inch below normal on all of your grips to help with consistency on grip down shots.

It will be interesting to see how Eidolon does with its SCOR branding - they are great clubs but TMag also has a wedge on the market with a similar concept and its already won on tour - tough to compete with that machine.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It will be interesting to see how Eidolon does with its SCOR branding - they are great clubs but TMag also has a wedge on the market with a similar concept and its already won on tour - tough to compete with that machine.

And there's the rub. TMag have a lot of money to throw at sponsorship whilst Eidolon don't. They rely on word of mouth, like these and other forums, to get their brand out there.

Although, I've seen Terry mention that there are some pro's who really liked the wedges and I thought one or some were playing them, not for sponsorship, but just because they liked them so much.

I think that when people try the Eidolon/SCOR wedges, the majority really like them, but there are some that, because it doesn't say Vokey or similar, won't give them a chance.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The one issue I have with Scor is thier pricing. They are priced at the top end of the market, around $150 for a single club, you get a break if you order multiple clubs but it is still more than a typical wedge. Obviously I have decided they are worth it, but that is after winning one and getting to try it. I doubt I would have bought one otherwise. that price point is going to limit their reach.

The one issue I have with Scor is thier pricing. They are priced at the top end of the market, around $150 for a single club, you get a break if you order multiple clubs but it is still more than a typical wedge. Obviously I have decided they are worth it, but that is after winning one and getting to try it. I doubt I would have bought one otherwise. that price point is going to limit their reach.

Agreed Tyk, the pricing is certainly up there. The one cool thing they will do though is if you order one and then down the road you want two more, they'll apply the multiple club discount at that time for you.

Rev: I actually think their original grip is better. The one with the dots from Lamkin is nice and all but the one from UST is idiot proof for gripping down. There's literally a thumb mark every inch so you know exactly how much you're choking down each time. Add that to the Pelz clock method of short game shots and suddenly becomes far easier. I'm actually planning on sticking those grips on my current on order wedges because I like them so much.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Good conversation and info gents. Thanks for the replies. I do like my Eidolon wedges, but they are worn and 1+ degrees to high in loft. I know SCOR is the new Eidolon, so to speak, which is why they are at the top of the replacement club list. I am generally usually happy with my wedge play (enough qualifiers there?), so am not quick to change to different clubs.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Archived