#16 JBones

JBones

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Handicap:3.5

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

JBones, great write up as usual and great story as well. Don't you hate when the wife pulls those you can get it but not until X day. Don't they know we love them already we just want to be happy with our new toys!!!! :P

I know. I tried to sweet talk her last night, but she wasn't having it. Maybe after we see what we are getting back from taxes, I can revisit it.

#17 kygolfer1980

kygolfer1980

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,106 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Handicap:11

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Nice write up! I had a fitting with Mike a couple years ago, he knows what he's doing. At that time I couldn't afford to get what I wanted so I had to get a shaft for my R11(never found the love for the R11 either). Ended up selling the R11 a few months later. Is the Adams still the only head that can be bought outright or any other companies jump on board? I wanted the 910D2 at the time but it was gonna be over $700 by the time I got the shaft I needed and the club. He was gonna have to switch out the adapters because Titleist doesn't sell the OEM adaptors outright.
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex
3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex
Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex
Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's
Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner
Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;
Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT
Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or
MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

#18 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

They can get head only in everything I tried, don't know about Titleist.

#19 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: CARLSBAD

• Members

• 10,528 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:6.0

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Really nice write up. I have to say that throughout I was wondering, "But he was worried about his accuracy." So you kept me in suspense until the end you dog.

I hope it works out on the course as well as it did in the shop!

I have to say that I'm ridiculously accurate with my new driver - I haven't experienced the distance gain that I was hoping for although I'm up a bit because I'm hitting more drives at my top end - but I'm ridiculously straight - took lines on 15 and 18 yesterday that made my playing partners flinch - they thought I had pushed the ball on both of them and I said, "Why not - I'm hitting this thing straight at whatever I'm aiming at every time." Both shots got me two clubs closer to the green and gave me birdie putts.

Acuracy counts for something!

Ping G30

SLDR 3HL (Up one)

SLDR S  22,26

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx   all number 8's with revkev logo

#20 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Back in the day I used to be "Bubba long" and I didn't care if I was in the fairway. After getting older and fracturing my wrist a couple times, I lost 40yds. A lot of my misses were playing well away from trouble, mainly because I didn't have the confidence to play to a part of the fairway away from trouble. I'm looking for the perfect combo of distance and accuracy with this fit. If I can double my fairways hit at 290yds, then I'll be back down to a 2 in no time.

#21 HillWilliam

HillWilliam

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO
  • Handicap:8

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Back in the day I used to be "Bubba long" and I didn't care if I was in the fairway. After getting older and fracturing my wrist a couple times, I lost 40yds. A lot of my misses were playing well away from trouble, mainly because I didn't have the confidence to play to a part of the fairway away from trouble. I'm looking for the perfect combo of distance and accuracy with this fit. If I can double my fairways hit at 290yds, then I'll be back down to a 2 in no time.

Really enjoyed the write up. Similar experience, although different path. I've always wanted a fitting but had put it off until a couple weeks ago. I went to a big box store and got a tremendous fitting, although admittedly I went through two guys (both were very helpful and offered different approaches). The first guy helped spot a swing problem and had me on a flatter trajectory. But he seemed to be fitting me to what worked for him. A shorter guy with lower swing speed and a flatter swing. Looking at the swing speed, ball speed, spin rate, launch angle etc I have a good idea of where I was at. He wanted me to take a higher lofted driver (10.5) which I knew from experience on simulators wouldn't work for me . I DID get to hit some clubs and found a few I wanted to spend more time with. So I came back this week and went to the other fitter. He was my age and first thing he did was ask me questions about my ball flight, what my goals were and watched me swing. He did a nice job breaking down my swing and interpreting the numbers. I had brought in my old driver which I bought using the old method. Read reviews, went out and swung it a few times and then bought one online..I am 54 and have had a few drivers the last few years. I had reconciled myself to losing distance to age and was concentrating on hitting more fairways. Eight years ago I was hitting 320 in Remax LD senior division competition. But my drives with my Cobra ZL last summer (8.5 Stiff) were 250-280 and I HAD to slow down to keep it in the fairway. After reading enough reviews like yours on getting fit, I began to suspect it wasn't all me.
The fitting was an eye opener (especially the second day). I swung the Cobra for reference and then swung Pings, Titleist, Callaway and the new Cobra AMP Pro. To keep it brief, I found a couple (the Callaway Xtreme and Cobra AMP Pro) that worked for me (I liked the 440 head vs the 460 for both appearance and control). Without belaboring the details, I ended up with an 8.5 head and an X- stiff shaft on the Callaway. My swing speed was still respectable at 117, but spin and launch angle were sucking distance. Then the fitter switched the weights and opened the club face. It was a revelation. I was hitting it straight to a slight draw in the upper 290s on the simulator. The Trinity X-stiff shaft felt like an extension of my left arm and I could smooth the tempo or push it hard. Launch angle was much lower (I have no problem getting height) and a far more penetrating trajectory leading to a better roll out. My carry was consistent at 280, pretty amazing to me since I was ending at 260-280 total with my Cobra. Getting some roll out again was great. Anyway, I bought the club at retail, which I justified by figuring I got a free fitting. The guys on here is why I finally took the time to do it right. Thanks (even if I am $400 lighter in the wallet! )

#22 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm glad you had a good experience too, Sprinkler. I also would have never gone for a fitting before joining this site. I have always been knowledgeable about my swing, but I was never knowledgeable about equipment, like I am now.

#23 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Went back in today to make sure the Anser/Devotion was what I really wanted, before pulling the trigger. Mike insisted that I hit the R1 (it wasn't available when I was fit). Long story short, I'm getting the R1 with the Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 XS. My average distance was only about 2yds farther, but the launch was down 2* (at the 8.75* setting) and the spin was about 100RPM less. The ball speed was quite a bit higher though, I went from a 163.5mph avearage up to about 166.3 average. I was consistently in the upper 290s on overall distance with a few bad swings bringing the average down a little.

#24 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

• Members

• 4,238 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Went back in today to make sure the Anser/Devotion was what I really wanted, before pulling the trigger. Mike insisted that I hit the R1 (it wasn't available when I was fit). Long story short, I'm getting the R1 with the Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 XS. My average distance was only about 2yds farther, but the launch was down 2* (at the 8.75* setting) and the spin was about 100RPM less. The ball speed was quite a bit higher though, I went from a 163.5mph avearage up to about 166.3 average. I was consistently in the upper 290s on overall distance with a few bad swings bringing the average down a little.

That's awesome that it was ok for you to go back to double check the numbers. Wouldn't have assumed that about the R1, but I did watch someone at GG the other day nailing every shot 290 yards.

#25 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

That's awesome that it was ok for you to go back to double check the numbers. Wouldn't have assumed that about the R1, but I did watch someone at GG the other day nailing every shot 290 yards.

The R1 is a lot like the RBladez irons, it's difficult to look at, but the results are so good that I have to bag it. I hit a few that would probably be 330ish during the summer; they launched between 8-9* with around 2000rpm spin, a 1.50 smash, and 169mph ball speed. On those the LM was giving me a 275ish carry with a 290 total, which we both knew would be much longer on the course.

#26 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,193 posts
  • LocationGalveston
  • Handicap:9.7

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

That's awesome!!!!

In my bag, May 2018
:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 10.5˚ Paderson Shaft (Regular Flex)
:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 14˚ Fujikura Fuel Shaft (Regular Flex)
Adams Super 9031 18˚ Hybrid - Diamana D+ Shaft - (Regular Flex)
:mizuno-small:  850 Forged 4-PW; KBS C-Taper Shafts (Regular Flex)
:mizuno-small:  T4 Wedges 50˚,54˚,58˚ KBS C-Taper Shafts (Tiger Stepped)
 Evnroll ER2 Putter

:titelist-small:  ProV1 Balls
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

HDCP 9.6

#27 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

I forgot to add that I'm going with the Speeder Tour Spec, because I got a deal that was way too good to pass up. I'm really stoked about getting this setup, especially with the added adjustability of the R1. I'm just spectating, but I think my settings will be 9.25* and 1 open.

#28 kygolfer1980

kygolfer1980

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,106 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Handicap:11

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I forgot to add that I'm going with the Speeder Tour Spec, because I got a deal that was way too good to pass up. I'm really stoked about getting this setup, especially with the added adjustability of the R1. I'm just spectating, but I think my settings will be 9.25* and 1 open.

I bought the R1 as well after hitting several different combo's of heads/shafts a couple weeks ago. 8.75 degrees loft, 2 degrees open and the RIP phenom TP shaft is what I had the best results with. I kinda like the way it looks, it's growing on me.
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex
3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex
Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex
Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's
Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner
Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;
Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT
Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or
MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

#29 JBones

JBones

• Members
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

....it's growing on me.

Thats what I'm hoping for. With a ball speed ratio up from 1.42 to 1.45, I think I can deal with it. Mike had it set to 8.75* when I was hitting it and with that Speeder, I was hitting it between 6.5*-12.1*.

Matt, did you hit the Covert Tour? If so, how did it stack up against the R1?

#30 Aotearoa_Brad

Aotearoa_Brad

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKapolei, HI
  • Handicap:14

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

That's great how this is working out for you Bones - though now you need to change your signature ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      13 Jul
    tlesirge

Retired and now loving my golf. Trouble is developed golf elbow. Any suggestions folks

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      11 Jul
    Macdiesel

Anyone out there wear or have worn New Balance spikes? In my opinion they make a pretty good shoe. As of late they have worked there way into the baseball scene and appears they have done quite well.

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors