Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Nike TW'14 Shoes Available Now

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Nike's TW'14 Shoe is available starting today. To kick the launch off in style Nike did a couple of somewhat un-NikeGolf-like things.

Firstly, TW'14 deisgner Tobie Hatfield took over the Nike twitter feed for an hour to answer questions from Nike fans and other interest parties. Finally...real interaction from Nike.

Secondly, Nike posted this gem of a tweet:

If you play golf to relax, find another shoe. TW'14 now available:
swoo.sh/ZW0yKn
twitter.com/nikegolf/statu…

— Nike Golf (@nikegolf)
June 7, 2013

Finally (again)! Just a hint of a little edge to their marketing. This is the kind of stuff I heard at the Innovation Summit (Covert Launch Event) that just hasn't materialized for the rest of the world thus far. It's not over-the-top, or in your face, nor is it offensive. It's not overly sanitized either. It's human, and it's probably the single best tweet I've seen from Nike all season. It's enough to make me curious about the shoes.

Full disclosure, I've never actually tried a pair, so I'd be interested to see how those of you who have think the Nike Free platform translates to golf.

As far as the shoes themselves are concerned, the TW'14 are part of the NikeID system which allows you to customize various aspects of the shoes. In addition to choosing different colors, you can choose between a waterproof synthetic leather or lightweight breathable mesh upper. You can also choose TRI-Lock spikes or go with a spikless nub design. Finally, you can personalize your shoe by adding your name or "an inspirational message" to inside the tongue.

Retail price is $179. NikeID is extra.

Here's a few pics of the samples that Nike sent to GolfSpy X. Unfortunately, they won't fit me.

tw-14-1.jpg

tw-14-2.jpg

tw-14-3.jpg

tw-14-4.jpg

tw-14-5.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I like those better than last year's, the lower profile is better.

agreed, the look more free-like than last years

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Looking forward to trying the spikeless TW14. In my review of TW13 I wrote that it would be a perfect shoe with a street sole. That would be more like a true Free concept.

Archived