TwoSolitudes

900K for 2 weeks work not enough for Phil

Our Sponsors

The only problem with that is higher income earners who are typically business owners can write certain personal expenses off as business expenses, something that your average Joe cant do.

Anyone can take these deductions. The problem is most people don't know or care enough to learn what they can deduct. A good CPA will save you a good bit in taxes each year. Little things, like childcare, have deductions available, and it is not just to business owners. That said, I would prefer that this too go away, tax solely on what is purchased and it truly becomes 'fair'.

Im not even going to touch that rant, especially the part about welfare. ;) About the SUVs, if you want to be the one to tell people that they shouldnt drive an SUV, well, good luck! LOL

I do it quite often :) and it generally goes over quite well. You have to understand though. I am a 6'3" 200lb guy. I have 3 options for my daily 24 mile round trip commute. I commute by bicycle 3 days week (weather permitting). On the other two days, I generally ride a scooter ( 1979 Vespa PX 200 ), though I do have a motorcycle that I will ride when I have that scooter torn down for some reason. My third option is my shitty weather option, and that is a SMART car, which will likely be replaced by an Elio when/if they ever ship. The SMART car is my worst MPG, highest impact vehicle at 42mpg and 1800lbs.

I also want to explain a bit about the welfare comments. Because of my day job, I see people that fit the description I posted all day long. I see their finances, and in some cases, I see where, and how they live. I know that there are legit uses of welfare, as I have been there ( though I couldn't suck up my pride enough to accept it and have struggled for 20 years to overcome the debt I incurred because of that pride ). Oddly enough, in a closely related post, there was a really good article on the subject of the 'culture of poverty' over on the American Spectator a couple of days ago. ( http://spectator.org/archives/2013/08/23/in-another-country ) It is worth a few minutes to read.

For me, it all comes down to someone who has more than enough to get buy whining that he has to pay, when you have so many people out there who work just as hard, if not even harder, who are just struggling to scrape out an existence. Those who can give more, should give more but, sadly, right now we are at a point in our country's history where many people think only about themselves and amassing their own wealth, while trying to nitpick every last penny that our government spends. There was a time when we were all in it together but nowdays its just me, me, me.

The thing is, perception, it turns out is very tough to quantify. Most people live to their means. You don't see too many multi-millionaires living in $250k 4 up/4 down spec built homes driving 6 year old Camry's. Just because they make 10x what you are 'getting by' on, doesn't mean they aren't living paycheck to paycheck just like you. Like you, their commitments grew with their income.

Of course, this doesn't play into the modern American sense of "fair" play. I deal with this when I hire millenials all the time. The real world doesn't give out "participation" trophies. The best get rewarded, the lazy/not fair/memememe get unemployed. I actually had one explain that I couldn't let him go for not doing the job because he had tried *really hard*. After over a year in which no project was ever delivered on time, nor was any project ever completed correctly, I let him go. He then sued me for wrongful termination. His argument boiled down to how it wasn't fair. FWIW, the guy that was hired with him was being paid 30% less, lacked a college degree and outsmarted and outworked the other guy at every level.

This doesn't sit well with many people, but life isn't fair. More often than not success is the result of blind, dumb luck. Phil had the blind dumb luck to be born with a talent, he then invested 100's of 1000's of dollars refining that talent over a lifetime. He had some early success, found his way onto tour. His work week is 7 days a week. He gets to spend about 20 weekends a year in his own bed. He probably gets to attend less than 20% of his kids school events. He has sacrificed seeing about half of their growing up while he travelled to earn those endorsements. He takes home less than his expenses to play a tournament in winnings probably 50% of the rounds he plays. He plays a "game" 7 days a week, rain, wind, cold, hot. Remember, this "game" burns as many calories as a moderate pace half marathon during a 4-5 hour round. A typical 6000 yard course is an 8 mile walk. The guy has been a brilliant player, but his career has always been in the shadow of Tiger. Does he work any less hard than Tiger?

Sorry, but not being able to see things from his point of view makes us every bit as guilty of thinking only about ourselves. We are showing our jealousy over his success and income. For us to criticize him for lamenting about the taxation of his income, regardless of what it is only shows the ugliest side of our own natures.

Bingo, we have a winner here. Call Cha Cha and submit this for best answer.

Except that in a progressive tax system everyone IS taxed equally. The money is taxed not the person. First 50K is taxed the same. Earn 100K and the second 50 will be taxed the same, earn a million and you will pay the same tax on that extra 800K as everyone else who has the extra 800. Whatever you earn (amount x), that amount is taxed at exactly the same rate as the first amount x that Phil earns.

But that was not the point.

A lifetime of work- sure. But he didn't work a lifetime and then win these two tournaments. He has been earning something like 30 million a year for a long time. He has been well well rewarded, many many times over- and good for him. But when he moans about paying tax because this 900K he just earned is just not enough to keep him motivated any longer- that is when I have to say Phil, just shut up.

It isn't even about what he pays in the US. He went to the UK to play and to win. He knew the conditions before he left. Then moaned about it after he won! Pretty unprofessional. He could have said that the rate was higher than in the US but he was still honoured to take part. He could have said that he is happy to pay the taxes due where ever in the world he tees up, because that is part of the modern game. Those would have been classy professional responses. But he didn't. He said it was hard to stay motivated to play at all. Just sad.

And why does my being in Thailand have to do with anything? ( I am Canadian by the way- and pay lots of taxes )

This was not meant to open a debate on progressive tax rates- it's just to me Phil now sounds like his ONLY interest is money and he seems to want everyone to know about it.

This was not meant to open a debate on progressive tax rates- it's just to me Phil now sounds like his ONLY interest is money and he seems to want everyone to know about it.

I get this, but you have to understand. This particular quote, as well as the one prior about taxes and possibly moving are both quotes made to the same reporter. Both times the women went out of her way to provoke the response, and then published the quotes out of context. Personally, I blame the reporter more than Phil, but it seems most defend her as just 'doing her job'.

On the interwebs, we would call her behavior trolling :-)