Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Nike Kicks off NG360 Iniative

• SPY VIP

I'm just wrapping up a trip to The Oven, and wanted to throw up a quick post before I join our friends from Sandbox8 and Nike Golf Nation at the bar.

Today Nike official launched a new initiative called NG360. At the heart of the new project is a free smart phone app (NG360 - available now) that allows golfers to work on and track all aspects of their games. We've seen swing video apps before, and we've seen score card apps, and yeah, we've even seen some fitness apps, but Nike has put them all together in NG360.

I haven't had a chance to play with the app just yet (though I would encourage all of you to download it and try it for yourself).

Now I'll cop to being a horrible journalist who takes anything but copious notes (Dave Dusek probably has this covered, so I'm sure you'll want to read what he has to say about it). With that out of the way, the presentation, which included segments by Dr. Gary Gray from the Gray Institute, Dr. Dave Tiberio, Golf Fitness Expert Rick Smith, and US Open Winner Lucas Glover, could be viewed as Nike's attempt to make a run at Titleist's TPI Franchise.

The team that put the NG360 program together are quick to point out that while TPI focus on individual muscles and joints, the Nike program works the body as a whole. According to the program developers, the exercises look like golf, and feel like golf. And while Nike is fond of Bill Bowerman's quote (if you have a body, you're an athlete), the NG360 program should allow each individual golfer to build a routine regardless of where he is in his golf game or fitness level. The talking point is, "It's not for anybody, it's for everybody".

While users will be able to upload video and get feedback from "Swoosh Certified" instructors, the Swoosh Certification program (which Nike claims is very rigorous) should eventually provide most golfers access to a local Swoosh Certified professional should they be looking for a more hands-on approach.

As with any good app, NG360 provides plenty of performance incentives in the way of badges. While I haven't yet looked at them closely, the "4 birdies in a row" achievement was one that was mentioned a few times.

I'll have more on this once I get home and gather my (mental) notes. Until then, download the app and let us know what you think.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I just downloaded it. Its a great idea, combining everything into one app. Overall, I love it. It provides easy connection between your phone (in my case, its just my iPod) and the computer. Its a great layout and overall, looks amazing. I'll post more about it once I have more time to play with it. Personally, I am very excited because I have been using the GolfLogix website to track (I have the actual GPS) and they haven't updated that in a long time. Right now, I am just going to input my last two rounds and go from there. Here's what I found online about the descriptions of each part of the app.

"My Game

Golfers can track their game by keeping statistics such as their scoring average, driving accuracy, greens in regulation and average putts per round. “My Game” allows golfers to see how they stack up by monitoring results and beating their personal bests. Within “My Game,” golfers stay motivated by winning “trophies” as a result of improved statistics.

My Swing

Golfers can upload and compare video of their golf swing to their friends and Nike Golf athletes. They can also receive personal coaching from Nike Swoosh Staff members who are PGA Teaching Professional instructors. Swoosh Staff members can provide feedback and swing tips through a video swing analysis tool.

My Body

This will help golfers get into golf shape, thanks to Nike Golf's partnership with the Gray Institute, the foremost leader in Applied Functional Science. The Gray Institute has developed the NG360 Functional Performance System that is tailored to golf movements that the body makes, a clear distinction from other training systems.

My Gear

Golfers can navigate products on the website that are suitable to their needs, while also receiving product recommendations from the Nike Swoosh Staff. Golfers can also upload the contents of their bags in the “What's in their Bag” section. “My Gear” will increasingly become more robust as the NG360 App evolves."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RscoFWh9X0

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Signed up for it yesterday, added a profile picture and my clubs, but thats it.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I input my last two rounds that night on the computer and it was very simple. Its very user-friendly. I'm bringing the app on the course on the today so I'll let you know how easy it really. It seems like its simple enough.

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Just used the app on the course for the first time. It was very easy to use and it served as a great scorecard. Two things. First, I wish they had a handicap feature. It doesn't have to be an official USGA handicap, but at least something so that the people who do not pay for handicap have a feel for where they are. Because of that, I have to stick with GolfLogix in addition to that because it creates an estimated handicap. Second, they have no achievements for 9 holes. No big deal, I'm just being picky. All achievements and badges do not count for the usual nine hole rounds I play on Friday. I hope those badges are not important haha

EDIT: Just talked to the Pro at my club and he said he'll let me have a official handicap for free :D . No more GolfLogix needed and the Nike 360 is my new official tracking app.

Downloaded it and used it for the first time today -- didn't use the scorecard function, though. I just like keeping a card for some reason. Uploaded on the desktop computer once I got home -- looks pretty simple. Have been using oobgolf.com for tracking stats, etc...really like it. Will see how this compares over time.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

I'm working on a more complete write-up about my experience at The Oven, and the NG360 Initiative as a whole. What I wanted to do here is talk a little bit about the NG360 App itself, and explain why I'm largely NOT a fan.

Big picture, while NG360 is being billed as addressing 360 degrees of your golf game, at the heart of the initiative is what I've taken to calling the fitness component. The focus of the last Tuesday's presentation was the partnership with the Gray Institute on a fitness program that is "Authentic to the Movement of the Game". So far the idea of fitness specific to the golfer has only been addressed by one OEM, so Nike has plenty of opportunities. The app would be a good start, but...from what I've seen, and from what I've heard from other golfers, the fitness component has been largely lost on the average golfer. Instead, what the guys I'm talking to believe NG360 is little more than Nike's Golf Scorecard app.

While I'm wholly optimistic the public's focus will shift back to the fitness aspect of things, out of the gates, things aren't completely awesome.

While I personally won't use the Swing Module, it definitely has its purpose, and appears to be very well done. Bonus points to Nike for creating a Swoosh staff to help golfers with their swings. The Fitness module should be at the core of this thing, and perhaps should be the whole of it (though the Game Module is perhaps designed to be the stepping stone to fitness), but again, the guys I'm talking to keep talking about the scorecard feature.

So here's what I really don't like:

1. The Gear Module is gratuitous, superfluous, and basically totally unnecessary. Sure I get that Nike wants to sell Nike gear. I also get that some people want to know what Nike gear is in what Pro's bag. At the end of the day, however; if Nike is truly pursuing a higher calling of sorts (helping the average golfer play the game better), The Gear module is basically bloat.

2. The Game Module is woefully incomplete. If you treat the Game Module as a standalone app, and many golfers will, Nike's initial offering simply doesn't measure up. They've done a great job with presentation (the 5 round trend is very well done), and I do like trophies, however; the more I play around with the app, the more I become irritated by what Nike failed to include in the initial release.

- Sure, you can track the basics (Fairways, putts, and score), but for those looking for more detail, for now you're out of luck. Some of us like to track things like penalty shots, sand saves, up and down, etc.). Basically oobgolf is, for my money anyway, the Gold Standard for stat tracking. What Nike has done is basic...not unlike 50 other currently available apps, which ultimately leaves me with no compelling reason to use it.

- No GPS. I realize not everybody wants to use their phone as a Golf GPS. Some of us use rangefinders. Others have dedicated GPS units, but there are plenty of golfers who use GPS apps for smart phones, and nearly all of those GPS apps have a scorecard features (many more advanced than NIke). I am a rangefinder guy, but one or two times per round I do use the GPS functionality of my phone (which also happens to be my scorecard app). Quite frankly, I don't think there's much point to a scorecard app without a GPS. For those who don't want one, well...leave the GPS functionality off. For the rest of us (guys who either use it on every hole, or guys like me who only use it once or twice), switching back and forth between our GPS app and our Scorecard app simply isn't practical.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's plenty of potential here, but Nike either needs to make a concerted effort to shift the focus to the fitness components of NG360, or they really need to upgrade the Scorecard module so that it's a feature match for others current available.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Wow

Sounds to me like everyone wants something for nothing... One guy wants a free handicap with it and another wants a free GPS with it??? Wow listen to yourselves, you sound like a couple of cheap idiots. A handicap is at most $35. If you want one, buy it! If you can't afford it, quit golf because you have no business attempting to play such an expensive sport. Go buy a soccer ball. Don't be "that guy." If you want to know how far you are to the hole, spend your money and buy a device, otherwise do it the old school way and walk off the yardage.

I like the ap, used it three times. Could it have more detail? absolutely. I didn't use it for anything other than tracking my rounds though. I'll like to see it once it updates a couple times.

• SPY VIP

Wow

Sounds to me like everyone wants something for nothing... One guy wants a free handicap with it and another wants a free GPS with it??? Wow listen to yourselves, you sound like a couple of cheap idiots. A handicap is at most $35. If you want one, buy it! If you can't afford it, quit golf because you have no business attempting to play such an expensive sport. Go buy a soccer ball. Don't be "that guy." If you want to know how far you are to the hole, spend your money and buy a device, otherwise do it the old school way and walk off the yardage.

I like the ap, used it three times. Could it have more detail? absolutely. I didn't use it for anything other than tracking my rounds though. I'll like to see it once it updates a couple times.

The guy who mentioned a handicap feature specifically said that he didn't care if it was "official" or not. What the damn shame in that respect is that none of the top golf scoring apps are ghin integrated. I pay for GHIN, it would be nice if an app allowed me to post directly to it.

As for GPS functionality...it's not a something for nothing issue at all. My point was that other similar (and yes FREE apps) have basic GPS functionality. Based on a feature for feature comparison, the scorecard component of the NG360 app isn't competitive with other free apps in the category.

Sure, the fitness component is nice (and really is the reason for all of this), the swing app is as good as any for the price, but again, the scorecard feature simply doesn't measure up. I think the scorecard is the reason why most will download the app, and ultimately its shortcomings are why people will go back to what they used previously.

Wow

Normally I wouldn't come back with anything but now I am annoyed. I am not cheap. I am on a budget. It comes with being a college student. Sometimes its just about the love of the game. If someone doesnt have money, youre really going to discourage them from playing the game they love? Some people understand what that love for the game is. Thats why my golf course allows me to play for free because I work for them. Thats why the golf pro at my course offered to give me a handicap for free. Just because someone doesnt have money doesnt mean that they should play another sport. I play all of the other sports too, but thats besides the point. I put as much money into the game as I can. I pay for my equipment, I pay for balls, tees, etc. just like everyone else. I donate to the USGA. They appreciate the small donation. Its not about the amount of money. So don't tell us we sound like idiots and don't tell ME that I have no business playing the game I love.

I'm not sorry I'm a realist and when you graduate college and get a real job and deal with real people you'll realize that in real life situations just because you love something doesnt mean you're going to get it for free. I was at a bachelor party a couple months ago and I loveddd Sky But that doesn't mean I could get her for free. I had to pay like everyone else. If I didn't have money sure I could go play with myself but luckily for me that's not the case. It's not always about the love of the game. Everyone who plays golf loves it even if they say they hate it. If you can't afford to play a sport then find a new one. Or better yet get a second job to help you pay for your love of the game. Idk why everyone thinks they're entitled to free stuff or discounts on stuff nowadays just bc they're lazy- I feel it's what's wrong with our country and if you're not a part of the solution then you're a part of the problem. (stepping down from soapbox)

• SPY VIP

...make a concerted effort to s*** the focus to the fitness components of NG360...

Typo of the year! :lol:

Downloaded the app after T mentioned it. Seems about two years behind the curve.

Go and download golfshot for the iphone and sign up for a free Titleist TPI account for the fitness side. Great video library and very specific for specific swing issues.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm not sorry I'm a realist and when you graduate college and get a real job and deal with real people you'll realize that in real life situations just because you love something doesnt mean you're going to get it for free. I was at a bachelor party a couple months ago and I loveddd Sky But that doesn't mean I could get her for free. I had to pay like everyone else. If I didn't have money sure I could go play with myself but luckily for me that's not the case. It's not always about the love of the game. Everyone who plays golf loves it even if they say they hate it. If you can't afford to play a sport then find a new one. Or better yet get a second job to help you pay for your love of the game. Idk why everyone thinks they're entitled to free stuff or discounts on stuff nowadays just bc they're lazy- I feel it's what's wrong with our country and if you're not a part of the solution then you're a part of the problem. (stepping down from soapbox)

It's very simple, I don't use the Nike app and instead use the competitor's, which offers everything I want. Thus, I don't read up about Nike's new products and don't try them out at the store. In the end, I don't have any Nike products in my bag.

Sounds like pretty much everyone in the golfing world doesn't it?

There's free and then there's "free". If Nike were smart they'd understand there are very very good alternatives out there and they need to match their functionality if they want golfers to use it. Otherwise, why bother? The cost of developing an app is nothing compared to how much TMag gives away for free each year (i.e. 15,000 free 5 irons). It's all about advertising and getting people to try your product.

Downloaded the app after T mentioned it. Seems about two years behind the curve.

Go and download golfshot for the iphone and sign up for a free Titleist TPI account for the fitness side. Great video library and very specific for specific swing issues.

LOL, I totally missed that!

+1 for Golfshot, fantastic app without the bloat, though I'd use GolfLogix if they had a way to disable GPS...

• SPY VIP

I should probably fix that little typo.

I do think you're right in that Nike is behind the curve. With respect to the scorecard/game module of their app, it's a problem. The functionality and features simply don't measure up. It comes across as if Nike didn't bother to see what else was already out there. Fortunately, a software update or two can bring them back to level, if not push them ahead.

The fitness piece is a little more interesting. Titleist definitely has a head start (and an established brand), but Nike's approach is fundamentally different. A good portion of what's in Titleist's exercise library either requires special equipment, or targets a specific muscle or joint to such a degree that the exercise bears little if any resemblance to golf. I'm not an expert on these type of things, so I can't say with any degree of certainty whether that's actually good, bad, or otherwise.

By contrast, Nike has placed an emphasis on exercises that are "Authentic to the Movement of the Game". The have essentially de-emphasized the type of exercises that work a given body part in isolation. An effective golf swing requires muscle groups work together in sequence, Nike's library is full of exercises that do just that. As Dr. Gary Gray told us, the exercises "look like golf, and feel like golf". Simply put, all the movements are clearly related to the movements of golf. The same cannot be said about what Titleist has built.

Again...whether or not this is fundamentally sound, I can't say with any degree of expertise. However, part of the thinking is that if what you're doing from a fitness perspective clearly correlates to what you do on the golf course, you're more apt to stick with it. That part sounds rock solid to me.

One final point about the fitness piece. This isn't really something Nike developed in house, they sought out Dr. Gary Gray (look him up, he's basically one of THE GUYS when it comes to elite athletic performance), and Dr. Dave Tiberio (one of THE GUYS when it comes to functional fitness), and have them create the NG360 program from the ground up.

IF Nike has the commitment to really build this thing, I think it actually can be something that will prove to have a broader reach than TPI. Time will tell.

First off, I want to apologize to everyone for my little off topic post. Getting back on topic. I have to take back what I said before. The main thing with me in this app was that I was using on the golf course. Because I have a GolfLogix GPS already, what I would do was fill up a whole scorecard with my stats and then go home and input on the computer. That scorecard looks like this:

jpmip.cs.png

Scorecard is the same on the computer and they have a detailed stat page.

Compared to this:

522308_10150901889463258_96946928257_9619535_1759149995_n_600px.jpg

I don't have an iPhone, but I have an iPod Touch. Because it is not my phone, I never really took it on the course with me. When this app came out, I decided to try it so I can give you guys my thoughts, and I liked it because it was simple. That being said, I brought it out again today. When I input my scorecard, I realized how much was not on there (like the chips and sand saves). Basically, it made my putting look great when I had bad chipping. For example, there was a middle back pin and I was on the front fringe. I hit a bad chip across the green, it hit the downslope, and then it went off to the back fringe. I chipped again and got it somewhat close on luck and then one putted. On the Nike app, it looks like I just one putted and everything was fine. In the GolfLogix clubhouse, I can see that I had a bad chipping day and that when it stores my stats, I can see it is something I have to work on. So I take back what I said before. Like everyone else is saying , I like the fitness aspect, but right now they need more on the scorecard. I will probably stay away from the apps for now because I don't like carrying too many electronics on the course. So, back to GolfLogix it is

• SPY VIP

The golflogix one looks cool, but why don't you guys use a normal pencil and paper scorecard like 99% of the golfing population?

It's not so much about simply keeping score (although fewer mistakes happen with the phone), it's about tracking stats. Some up like to know how many fairways we hit, how many putts we hit, how many greens, how often we get up and down...the list goes on and on. When the app is well-designed, it's reasonably easy to keep track of those sorts of things without playing any slower than you would if you were limited to paper.

I downloaded the Nike app last night. Created an account and all that jazz. I have not played golf with it, and probably now will not. The problem is when I went back to at the start of reading this post, it asks me for my password. Apparently, you have to retype that everytime. I found this to be a mediocre app at best. Titleist is much better as is many many others. The deal is that if Nike can not remember me, and my password, I am not going to remember them. It may be a little thing, but I have many apps on my phone. The only ones that do not remember my password are the banks, and credit cards. So Nike will probably be deleted soon.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It's not so much about simply keeping score (although fewer mistakes happen with the phone), it's about tracking stats. Some up like to know how many fairways we hit, how many putts we hit, how many greens, how often we get up and down...the list goes on and on. When the app is well-designed, it's reasonably easy to keep track of those sorts of things without playing any slower than you would if you were limited to paper.

Here's a pic of my scorecard from today (back 9 start day)... When I played golf in college our coach used to make us keep track of fairways, greens in regulation, putts, putting par (when you miss a green in reg you should one putt), and if we had any penalties. Our goals back then were to hit 10 of 14 fairways (70%) 14 of 18 gir (75%) to have 28 putts or less, E on putting par, and zero penalties. What we did cumulatively as a team dictated what we'd be doing for dinner that night, so the team would've hated me today!

So, this is how I keep my scorecard and have done it for YEARS so it's second nature. Guarantee you that I can keep track of this quicker than anyone on their smart phones. Plus, idk about you, but I'm always tempted to check emails, texts, etc. when I whip out my iphone.

Unfortunately for us today was a very difficult day. My gc is very tight and the wind was blowing 25mph out of the west (cross on most holes) so there were three tee shots where I lost a golf ball on. Another one of my penalties I f-d up the yardage and blew up 30 yards over the green OB. Otherwise kind of a ho-hum day for the two of us.

golf.jpg

I'm not necessarily anti-app, but I won't even bring my phone out of the car when I'm on the course. I don't want to talk to you, don't need to see your email, etc...I'm golfing.

I keep my stats on the card, too, but I expect that some people like putting it on the phone. It would be nice to be able to plug the phone into the computer and see all the cumulative stats without having the transfer them to a spreadsheet or program. Just not enough of a bonus for me to want to bring my phone to the course.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

People on their phones can slow up golf more than anything!

No more so than paper, it's all about knowing when to fill out your scorecard. With a phone I do one handed while walking to the next tee. That's another thing I like about golfshot, it's simple and takes very little time to get everything input.

• SPY VIP

After using Golfshot to keep score for the past year or so, I don't ever see myself going back to paper. It is quick during the round to input data, nearly as fast as it was for me to write out shots/putts/gir/tee shot direction, and so on on the paper card. The strength of the digital scorecard does come after the round though. I would look over the paper cards and replay rounds in my head, but most of them then went into the recycle bin. With Golfshot, I have stats for the last round, and all of the rounds previous, stored in my phone to look at whenever I have the chance to look at it.

As an improving-hacker, looking at the trends in my rounds has been critical to improving. The detailed info in golfshot really lets me know where I am losing strokes. Looking at stats for the last 100 rounds is no big deal with the app, but sorting through the stack of paper cards and looking for trends would be a huge pain. The accuracy of the GPS version of Golfshot is just a bonus.

IMO, this is another area where technology can improve one's game, perhaps at the cost of some of the traditions of golf.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Look buddy- don't get so defensive- I said people on their phones slow up golf- I'm talking people who are making/taking calls texts and emails. If you're cell phone is tucked away for emergencies (like it should be) there's no opportunity for you to do that stuff. I know many clubs that have no cell phone policies. there's nothing wrong with pencil and paper so I guess I just don't understand the whole movement to cell phone use on the gc. If it ain't broke don't fix it right? One positive of cell phone scorecards is less cost for golf courses so that's a plus unless youre one of the guys who takes three cards and never uses one of them only to be trashed when they're done.

"I'm not your buddy, friend!"

"He's not your friend, guy!"

"I'm not your guy, buddy!"

"He's not your buddy, friend!"

"I'm not your friend, guy!"

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

Look buddy- don't get so defensive- I said people on their phones slow up golf- I'm talking people who are making/taking calls texts and emails. If you're cell phone is tucked away for emergencies (like it should be) there's no opportunity for you to do that stuff. I know many clubs that have no cell phone policies. there's nothing wrong with pencil and paper so I guess I just don't understand the whole movement to cell phone use on the gc. If it ain't broke don't fix it right? One positive of cell phone scorecards is less cost for golf courses so that's a plus unless youre one of the guys who takes three cards and never uses one of them only to be trashed when they're done.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that it's ok to ramble on your phone or shoot out emails, I just disagree that there's any significant difference in the amount of time it takes to input your score on paper vs in a phone app. Defensive would be me attacking you personally instead of the points you are making.

As T says in his blog post about the Nike app, it has potential, but it's not there yet. Once it can do everything Golfshot can with the same ease of use, then I'll try it. I have no interest in using paper because I'll just lose the scorecard.

• SPY VIP

To paraphrase a line from Nike, Paper was...Digital is.

I used to keep a card similar to apprenti23, and then I'd go an manually enter all the details into the computer so that I could see my various trends. One of the stats I find most interesting is my score relative to par on certain holes. The oobgolf app I use makes it easy to track those sorts of stats. With paper it's tedious (and now unnecessary)

Regarding the notion that keeping score/stats on a phone leads to slow play...it's nonsense. Like wdgolf, I generally update my stats while walking to the next tee box...or on the next tee box while my partners hit, or sometimes while walking up the next fairway (or standing in it waiting for my partners to hit). I'm sure every single one of us has endured the misfortune of waiting to hit behind some jackass sitting in his cart next to the green updating his damn paper scorecard. And yes, we've all had to deal with jackasses using their phones, or otherwise dilly dallying with some form of electronica as well.

The 2nd guys isn't slow because of the phone anymore than the first guy is slow because of paper and pencil. Technology doesn't make for slow play. Slow golfers make for slow play.

Regarding the notion that keeping score/stats on a phone leads to slow play...it's nonsense. Like wdgolf, I generally update my stats while walking to the next tee box...or on the next tee box while my partners hit, or sometimes while walking up the next fairway (or standing in it waiting for my partners to hit). I'm sure every single one of us has endured the misfortune of waiting to hit behind some jackass sitting in his cart next to the green updating his damn paper scorecard. And yes, we've all had to deal with jackasses using their phones, or otherwise dilly dallying with some form of electronica as well.

This is the same way I do it with Golfshot. Takes literally 3 seconds per hole to key in all those stats, end round and it's uploaded on my account. I can log-in from any computer and see all the stats that I want. That reminds me, I should update my HCP on my Golfshot account :lol:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Archived