Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New vs known courses

revkev

There are times when I wonder just how much advantage there is to local knowledge. The problem is that it works both ways and at times knowing where the trouble is produces timid shots.

I'm best when someone says, "hit it there." Sometimes for me ignorance is bliss.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I completely agree that it works both ways.  There is a course here that has a 475yd par 5, from the tips.  There is a lake that you can't see from the tee and it takes a 290 carry to get over it.  It is designed for a layup, which makes it a true par 5.  The first time I played there, I hit driver over the lake (not knowing it was there) and hit 9i into the green for an easy two putt birdie.  Every time since then, I have laid up short of the lake.

As far as local knowledge on greens, I think it only applies to the "higher end"  courses that are very well maintained.  I play the local muni's frequently, because they are cheaper and you can play them fairly quickly during the week.  They get a ton of play and due to that, they can't cut/roll the greens on a daily basis.  You could go out in the morning and in the afternoon everything breaks differently, due to all the traffic on the greens.  In cases like this, local knowledge is completely useless.

As far as local knowledge on greens, I think it only applies to the "higher end"  courses that are very well maintained.  I play the local muni's frequently, because they are cheaper and you can play them fairly quickly during the week.  They get a ton of play and due to that, they can't cut/roll the greens on a daily basis.  You could go out in the morning and in the afternoon everything breaks differently, due to all the traffic on the greens.  In cases like this, local knowledge is completely useless.

Don't forget how the speed of different greens will also drastically be different. I don't care how difficult they say higher end courses are, greens and fairways are always so much nicer than you score better given a good shot. Their rough and hazards can be tough though.

If a person is timid because they know something is there, then their issue is their mental approach. Not knowing a hazard is there sucks far worse imo. There's a good reason a lot of very good players aren't nearly as good when away from their home course.

I think it happens to everyone from time to time. A hole gets your number. I totally agree about not knowing but when someone who knows my game says, "that's your line," I seem to do very well. I think there can be an advantage to having no negative images on a hole. I generally hit solid straight shots unless I'm having a very bad day or something negative creeps in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think it happens to everyone from time to time. A hole gets your number. I totally agree about not knowing but when someone who knows my game says, "that's your line," I seem to do very well. I think there can be an advantage to having no negative images on a hole. I generally hit solid straight shots unless I'm having a very bad day or something negative creeps in.

Fair point. I know one hole at my usual course that always seems to get my number. But I've played it well a few times and know what I'm supposed to do. I still struggle with this hole, but it's always due to what's in my head. If I just took two easy swings, it wouldn't be so bad. I'm just not that smart at times on the course.

Then there's the hardest hole that is a completely blind tee shot. By knowing generally where to hit the ball, the hole is easily twice as easy. It's still a very long par 4, so you need two good shots, but the landing area you're supposed to aim for isn't entirely intuitive until you've played the hole a few times. If you get past the tree line you're screwed. Because of the steep hill and trees, you can't just look at google earth either and figure it out. 

I agree that it goes both ways, but I would much rather have the local knowledge and make an informed decision.  I played a course last year that conservatively cost me 5 shots due to thinking it was safe where I was hitting when it wasn't.  I'd rather know the danger and hit my shot than get to where my ball should be and realize the fairway ended 10 yards back and my ball is now off a cliff into the woods.

It takes the guesswork out of the course and puts the game back between your ears where it is supposed to be :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I will take a course that I have played over a course that is new any day.  I have a hard time playing places that people that don't know my game are trying to guide me around and normally would have hit different shots than I actually hit.  Only exception for me is if I play somewhere that has a good caddy that I can get out with and then it is a different story.  I played Friar's Head this year and my caddy was with me from the minute I hit the range until the end of my round and did a fantastic job of guiding me around and picking clubs.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I really had in my mind those few shots or that hole on a home course that are problematic or conversely that very difficult shot pulled off on an unfamiliar course that would have been far more,difficult had I known the ob or hazard was really that close. In the end I'll take the local knowledge but sometimes.......

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I really had in my mind those few shots or that hole on a home course that are problematic or conversely that very difficult shot pulled off on an unfamiliar course that would have been far more,difficult had I known the ob or hazard was really that close. In the end I'll take the local knowledge but sometimes.......

Ha ha, I see your point.

I believe the term you are looking for starts with either the sun shining on a dogs ass or a blind squirrel finding a nut :)

I like playing courses I don't play often or that or new because it makes me think more about my shots. When I play a course regularly I tend to go through the motions more.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Interesting topic....I'm going to be play ALL new courses over the next couple months.....and I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

Generally though, I score better the 2nd or 3rd time on a course.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I like playing courses I don't play often or that or new because it makes me think more about my shots. When I play a course regularly I tend to go through the motions more.

I feel the same way, playing the same course over and over lets my guard down and causes me strokes from being careless because it's nothing new and I'm not as focused versus a new course or other course that has been played a couple times.

There are times when I wonder just how much advantage there is to local knowledge. The problem is that it works both ways and at times knowing where the trouble is produces timid shots.

I'm best when someone says, "hit it there." Sometimes for me ignorance is bliss.

I do not see how knowing a course could possibly be a disadvantage.  I have played courses in 46 states and 3 countries.  I can assure you ignorance is not bliss.  I remember in Canada last year at Pagoda, I did not play particularly well all week.  But three drives on that course were beauties and all three of them were wasted shots, because I was blocked off from the green.  I hit it down the left side and should have gone right or the other way around. 

I have teed off and been going down the wrong fairway.  I have had trouble finding the next hole.  I can not think of one time in which I ever thought, "I wish I had not of known that was there."

Now, before I go to a new course I like to study overhead images and "plan" my tee shots at least.  I want to know if I need to lay up or go for it, or go left or right off of the tee box.  This has turned into a lot of fun.  I do not even care (well, ok, so I do care) what the score is at a new course, I just want to hit the ball well, and execute my game plan.  If my plan turns out to be wrong based on the satellite views, well, I can still be happy with that if I hit the ball well.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I have to agree with Rick on this one. Knowledge is power. Some courses down here you absolutely cannot play well unless you have local knowledge or playing with some one who has. My home course is a great example. It has earned a rep especially among visitors as an extremely difficult course. You absolutely have to know where to hit the ball on the greens because if you don't many 3 putts await you. When I was playing competitive golf I would do detailed notes on my practice rounds of any unexplored courses. But I am glad you brought up the Google Maps because I had never thought of it of course we did not have it back in the day.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

While I'm sympathetic to what Rick and stu are writing i would say there's always ample info to fit your shots into a courses design. Go online the day before and there will be maps, course descriptions, fly overs.

I fully agree that I'm most likely to do well on a course the 2nd or 3rd time around. Also I get bored easily and so I think I'm very complacent when playing a familiar course unless there is enough on the line to get my attention.

My biggest point here remains that dread you feel on the tee of a familiar hole or even course that has your number. We all have them. Even the guys on tour do.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My biggest point here remains that dread you feel on the tee of a familiar hole or even course that has your number. We all have them. Even the guys on tour do.

Now this I completely understand.  I have 2 holes on my home course (14 & 15) that get me more often than not.  Towards the end of the year I started to play them a little better and it was all mental.  One of the ways I did that was to try and hit a different club off the tee, or a different club on my layup to the par 5 so I would be a different position than I normally am. 

I live on my home course so it's where I play 99% of my rounds in the summer.  So far it's been 2 years and probably 100+ rounds that I've played on it and I've found you have to mix it up once in a while to keep the course fresh.  It's amazing how much differently it plays if you move to a different tee box, pick a different club off the tee, or play in a different format like scramble or alternate shot. 

I definitely agree that playing a course for the first time is a disadvantage. I love new courses, but I'm always looking forward to them becoming comfortable courses.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Archived