Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Injury Thread

STUDque

4 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

I am certainly going to give that a try.  I just got back from a 5 day trip to Branson and it was unbelievably difficult to play with my knee being the way it was.  I felt my left leg flinch everytime I tried to shift my weight during the swing, I could never really get my weight to transfer.  Needless to say I played terribly and came in last in the whole competition. lol 

Thanks for the tip. 

KT Tape is used by a lot of athletes... Michele Wie had it all over her legs and arms!!  

My wife and I have had a knee replacements; mine left, hers right.  I know the feeling of not getting to my left side!!  My wife uses KT Tape just below her left knee; seems to hold all the right things in place.  It doesn't take much, just one of those strips lasts 3-4 days.  She swears by it; I haven't tried it... I don't want to shave!!!  😂

I hope you find some relief soon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

I am certainly going to give that a try.  I just got back from a 5 day trip to Branson and it was unbelievably difficult to play with my knee being the way it was.  I felt my left leg flinch everytime I tried to shift my weight during the swing, I could never really get my weight to transfer.  Needless to say I played terribly and came in last in the whole competition. lol 

Thanks for the tip. 

21 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

KT Tape is used by a lot of athletes... Michele Wie had it all over her legs and arms!!  

My wife and I have had a knee replacements; mine left, hers right.  I know the feeling of not getting to my left side!!  My wife uses KT Tape just below her left knee; seems to hold all the right things in place.  It doesn't take much, just one of those strips lasts 3-4 days.  She swears by it; I haven't tried it... I don't want to shave!!!  😂

I hope you find some relief soon.

hate to break it to you, but KT tape is proven ineffective. its perceived results are a placebo effect. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29461139/

@HeathS16 it sounds like you did some tendon/ligament damage and now you’ve got some laxity in your knee. 

strengthening your quad/hamstring/calf will help tighten that connective tissue back up. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

33 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

hate to break it to you, but KT tape is proven ineffective. its perceived results are a placebo effect. 

@HeathS16 it sounds like you did some tendon/ligament damage and now you’ve got some laxity in your knee. 

strengthening your quad/hamstring/calf will help tighten that connective tissue back up. 

TBH I am afraid of what I did to it.  I held off getting it looked at so I could go on this trip 🤪 I am going to make an appointment this week and see what the damage is. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

35 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

Wife tested; wife approved.

However, maybe more publications are needed...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29525979/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24819349/

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Right arm from the elbow up to the shoulder has a combo of pain and numbness. Pinched nerve maybe?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

32 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Right arm from the elbow up to the shoulder has a combo of pain and numbness. Pinched nerve maybe?

That's from you punching in your account number buying so much gear! 🤣

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 minute ago, MattF said:

That's from you punching in your account number buying so much gear! 🤣

Saved in browser, one click 😂

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

57 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Get in to a doc.  I've had plenty of tendinitis issues so I was comfortable I knew what I was dealing with, but have definitely never experienced what you're describing.

Is it up the back of the arm through the tricep, or the front/bicep area?  

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

15 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Get in to a doc.  I've had plenty of tendinitis issues so I was comfortable I knew what I was dealing with, but have definitely never experienced what you're describing.

Is it up the back of the arm through the tricep, or the front/bicep area?  

back of the arm, plus a bit of tingle/numbness in fingers. heading to the doctor later this morning. 

Updated 07/15/2022

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

back of the arm, plus a bit of tingle/numbness in fingers. heading to the doctor later this morning. 

Let us know; hope it's nothing too serious.  Sucks having to rest during the season.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Let us know; hope it's nothing too serious.  Sucks having to rest during the season.

Just got back from the doctor. He said the X-rays showed the very beginning of degenerative disc disease in the C5 and C6 discs. He gave me some Voltaren and said that it may flare up time to time and to manage the flare ups but overall not to change the way I live my life. Obviously i should take it easy when a flare up occurs, but I can continue playing golf, exercising, etc. normally when everything is feeling ok. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Just got back from the doctor. He said the X-rays showed the very beginning of degenerative disc disease in the C5 and C6 discs. He gave me some Voltaren and said that it may flare up time to time and to manage the flare ups but overall not to change the way I live my life. Obviously i should take it easy when a flare up occurs, but I can continue playing golf, exercising, etc. normally when everything is feeling ok. 

I'm glad you can continue to play, but what's the long term assessment if you don't mind my asking?

8 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm glad you can continue to play, but what's the long term assessment if you don't mind my asking?

It will get worse, regardless if i play golf or not.

Its one of those medical conditions that sounds worse than it is, particularly at the stage i am at. From WebMD:

"Degenerative disk disease is when normal changes that take place in the disks of your spine cause pain. Nearly everyone's disks break down over time, but not everyone feels pain. If worn-out spinal disks are the reason you're hurting, you have degenerative disk disease."

Also, no back pain or neck pain, just the shoulder and arm pain with numbness, so the DDD is causing a flare up due to a pinched nerve. 

Updated 07/15/2022

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

It will get worse, regardless if i play golf or not.

Its one of those medical conditions that sounds worse than it is, particularly at the stage i am at. From WebMD:

"Degenerative disk disease is when normal changes that take place in the disks of your spine cause pain. Nearly everyone's disks break down over time, but not everyone feels pain. If worn-out spinal disks are the reason you're hurting, you have degenerative disk disease."

Also, no back pain or neck pain, just the shoulder and arm pain with numbness, so the DDD is causing a flare up due to a pinched nerve. 

I feel you mate, I have it in my L5/S1 and most days my back is screaming at me.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

2 hours ago, MattF said:

I feel you mate, I have it in my L5/S1 and most days my back is screaming at me.

This injury/issue is the craziest thing. Last night, could barely move my arm becomes of the pain and discomfort. Took the anti-inflammatory that my doctor gave me, it relieved some of the pain and i went to bed. Woke up this morning feeling almost like nothing ever happened. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

This injury/issue is the craziest thing. Last night, could barely move my arm becomes of the pain and discomfort. Took the anti-inflammatory that my doctor gave me, it relieved some of the pain and i went to bed. Woke up this morning feeling almost like nothing ever happened. 

Kind of sounds like you have some nerve impingement also which is normal with the way you’re describing the lose of feelings in your whole arm.

21 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

did your doctor bring up how your posture might be exacerbating the disk degeneration?

i trained (in a gym, not on computers) IT guys in seattle for a few years and every last one of them presented with the same internally rotated shoulders and thoracic arch that you have. 

it’s amazing what getting those guys into external rotation and opening up their thoracic spine did for their pain and mobility. 

something about a doctor putting a 37 year old on arthritis meds and sending him on his way with “just deal with it” doesn’t sit right with me. 

there’s a ton that can be done that doesn’t involve doctors or drugs. 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

12 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

did your doctor bring up how your posture might be exacerbating the disk degeneration?

i trained (in a gym, not on computers) IT guys in seattle for a few years and every last one of them presented with the same internally rotated shoulders and thoracic arch that you have. 

it’s amazing what getting those guys into external rotation and opening up their thoracic spine did for their pain and mobility. 

something about a doctor putting a 37 year old on arthritis meds and sending him on his way with “just deal with it” doesn’t sit right with me. 

This ^^^^ And not just for IT guys but probably 99% of general population at this point are constantly internally rotated at shoulders and in thoracic flexion. Purely from quality of life it would benefit almost all to focus on opening that up but especially golfers (external rotation of shoulder during downswing). 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

18 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Have you been to a rheumatologist? Just curious since my initial back issues were diagnosed similarly, and over time turned out to be Ankylosing Spondylitis. Might be worth seeing a rheum and getting an opinion just in case there are inflammatory markers in the blood work they will do.

Benn there with you, my friend. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

22 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

This doctor sent me on my way because he was an urgent care doctor. He told me to make an appointment with my primary care doctor for ongoing treatment/management plan, so I have that setup for next week. For sure there is exercise/mobility work that I can do to improve this. 

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Have you been to a rheumatologist? Just curious since my initial back issues were diagnosed similarly, and over time turned out to be Ankylosing Spondylitis. Might be worth seeing a rheum and getting an opinion just in case there are inflammatory markers in the blood work they will do.

Benn there with you, my friend. 

Have not been to any doctors besides the urgent care doctor, since this was a completely new issue for me. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

This doctor sent me on my way because he was an urgent care doctor. He told me to make an appointment with my primary care doctor for ongoing treatment/management plan, so I have that setup for next week. For sure there is exercise/mobility work that I can do to improve this. 

Have not been to any doctors besides the urgent care doctor, since this was a completely new issue for me. 

I had a pinched nerve from a herniated disc back in November. Was so bad I couldn't lay down to sleep. 

In talking with my orthopedic doctor and the PT there, we were pretty sure it was golf related, and likely from some shoulder weaknesses (partial tear in the left one).

Since I came back to golf in February,  I have been doing a lot if the PT exercises (external rotation with band, straight arm push downs, etc), along with regular weight lifting. I have been focusing on lots of shoulder and back exercises. I have also been doing pilates 2 times a week, and doing ab routines 2 to 3 times a week as well. Constantly working on mobility in my neck, shoulders, back, and hips. 

Has done wonders and no issues yet.

I think not sitting at a desk all day and getting up and moving is key. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Pain and numbness is back with a vengeance after the medicine wore off. Guess the medicine does a good job of masking the issue.

Updated 07/15/2022

21 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

Combine the poor standing / walking posture, sitting in front of a computer screen with looking down at a phone for many hours and you'll get a lot of people with shoulder, neck and high back issues....me included.  I do quite a few stretching exercises for my neck & shoulders (not as regularly as I should) and it helps cut down on the neck & arm pain and numb fingers a lot.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

38 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Combine the poor standing / walking posture, sitting in front of a computer screen with looking down at a phone for many hours and you'll get a lot of people with shoulder, neck and high back issues....me included.  I do quite a few stretching exercises for my neck & shoulders (not as regularly as I should) and it helps cut down on the neck & arm pain and numb fingers a lot.  

100% correct.  almost everything we do puts us into internal shoulder rotation and thoracic flexion.  those are fancy terms for rounded and slumped.

i used to give clients of mine a quick series of stretches to do hourly at work that would combat the effects of sitting and rounding the shoulders

here’s a quick mobility screening for stuff like this 

https://manaperformancetherapy.com/2017/09/06/3-quick-tests-to-assess-overhead-shoulder-mobility/

17 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Pain and numbness is back with a vengeance after the medicine wore off. Guess the medicine does a good job of masking the issue.

Physical therapy should be able to help you out. X-rays are good at looking at disk space and MRI is much better at telling you if their is a herniation or bulging disk pinching the nerve which can create the referred pain down your arm

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Besides going to the doctor and figuring out a plan with the doctor, i am going to buy a standing desk and an ergonomic chair.

Can't continue with sitting around on the couch working on my laptop all day (don't judge, im changing my ways now). 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Besides going to the doctor and figuring out a plan with the doctor, i am going to buy a standing desk and an ergonomic chair.

Can't continue with sitting around on the couch working on my laptop all day (don't judge, im changing my ways now). 

good on you for trying to change things up, but you’re addressing things that aren’t the root cause of your issue. 

whether you’re standing or sitting, working on your computer rolls your shoulders forward and puts your thoracic spine in flexion. 

https://thebarbellphysio.com/top-five-thoracic-mobility-drills-to-improve-your-overhead-pressing/

that video and article are good places to start for undoing the structural and postural damage you’ve done to your upper back, neck, and shoulders.

couple them with strengthening your lats, shoulders, core, and rotator cuffs and you’ll be on your way to being pain and medication free 

a nice bonus is you’ll hit the ball further, too  

Did my normal stretches before I played yesterday, and it was 100* without the humidity, so I was loose at the start of 18. My low back stiffened early, so I was not a happy camper. I have a back disease and it’s been doing well, so I was frustrated when I couldn’t turn much during the round. No pain, just stiff… Ugh… Still 10 days from my next injection, so I’m hoping more stretching will help some! Time to call the masseuse!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

12 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I think this is my first comment in regards to your back issue so I wanted to say first that I hope you learn to manage this the best way possible to minimize pain and progression. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Secondly, I have a standing desk at work and while I didn't use it as much as I should've it was nice to have.

Thirdly, I wonder if the Forme shirt that was on the We tried it series would help you. I have been thinking about getting it for posture and it sounds like it does what it says it does so I figured I would bring it to your attention.

https://mygolfspy.com/we-tried-it-forme-driven-by-science/

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft