Sign in to follow this  
Thin2win

Switching from interlock grip.

Hey all I could use some of your great wisdom. This year has been my most consistent golf ever, 73-79 every time out.

But the gods of golf decided that I needed a new challenge, and over the last two months my right pinkie finger had been hurting worse and worse with every round. Two rounds ago it legitimately felt as if I dislocated it on a toe hit with my driver.

Quick internet research tells me that this is kinda common for people using this grip, and that my options are limited to less golf or a new grip. I have smaller hands, and tried the vardon grip, but have no control of the club. I spent a range session and a practice 9 trying the 10 finger grip. I guess with more practice it will be usable, but it feels so disconnected. Don't know if I am going to get a cut or a draw on any given shot.

Had anyone else made this switch and had it work out? Or does anyone know a different grip that can save the day?

After a guess of 200,000 golf balls hit with one grip, switching isnt exciting

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

In a funny coincidence..... The exact same thing has happened to me, and I decided to stick with the grip change from interlock to overlap.

In my case it may end up being a benefit(!) - I think I like having the index finger of my left/lead hand more directly on the club.

But I haven't been playing as long as you, and my grip probably wasn't all that great anyway......

The grip is hugely important. Somewhere along the line I switched from an interlocking grip (Golf my way - Nicklaus did it so should I) to the Vardon - I went to a golf school and they said, “who do you think you are with that grip, Jack Nicklaus?”

Moral of the story - consult your pro - if you don’t have one, it’s a good time to start.

If you aren’t going to do that I’d recommend the 10 finger - you’ll get used to it and you still have your short game to save you while you are.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I switched to the interlock. Nothing wrong with trying new things, you might find experimenting works. Just ask Bryson.

• Like 2

I actually had the same pain in my pinkie several years ago.  I never switched grip though.  The only thing I did was loosen my grip a lot.  Eventually the pain went away and it hasn't bothered me again since then.  I've spent too many years working on my swing, that I didn't want to change anything. 

I went from interlock to overlap at the recommendation of my teacher back in high school (30 years ago, wow). It took a few weeks and thousands of range balls to get used to it, but I did and it's been fine.

That said, I will switch back to interlock now and again if I just can't hit the ball. Just something to give myself a different feeling in my hands, which hopefully leads to creating new neural pathways and all that. Actually, I don't put in anywhere close to enough time to actually create new pathways, but it feels awkward enough to pop myself out of a slump and show myself that I actually can hit a golf ball.

• Like 1

The grip is hugely important. Somewhere along the line I switched from an interlocking grip (Golf my way - Nicklaus did it so should I) to the Vardon - I went to a golf school and they said, “who do you think you are with that grip, Jack Nicklaus?”

Moral of the story - consult your pro - if you don’t have one, it’s a good time to start.

If you aren’t going to do that I’d recommend the 10 finger - you’ll get used to it and you still have your short game to save you while you are.

Good luck

I not sure that I like your teachers logic, I am sure I don't swing like Jack, but I also know Mr. Vardon is in a while other league too. Ha.

• Like 1

I actually had the same pain in my pinkie several years ago. I never switched grip though. The only thing I did was loosen my grip a lot. Eventually the pain went away and it hasn't bothered me again since then. I've spent too many years working on my swing, that I didn't want to change anything.

This is worth a try, count me in.

You could try the Spieth version of the interlock where the finger points out instead of gripping

Thank you, I just looked this up. I knew someone would have a new idea I knew nothing about. I'll give this a try at the range tomorrow

• Like 1

I not sure that I like your teachers logic, I am sure I don't swing like Jack, but I also know Mr. Vardon is in a while other league too. Ha.

The teacher who moved me from interlocking to Vardon was Jimmy Ballard.

You may have heard of him.

• Like 1

I made the switch last season. I found it very very strange at first but after awhile I got used to it. I feel as if I feel the club more than I did with the interlock. You may find it the same idk. I like the overlap better now but it certainly took a week or so of working on it nonstop.

• Like 1

I recently switched from Tiger’s grip (interlock) to everyone else’s (vardon) and after immediate dip I’m now playing better than ever

• Like 2

The teacher who moved me from interlocking to Vardon was Jimmy Ballard.

You may have heard of him.

Oh, I don't disagree with the change. Just the logic.

• Like 1

Oh, I don't disagree with the change. Just the logic.

It was his attempt at humor.

The logic was that an interlocking grip inhibits hand action. I got away with that in my 20’s because I played baseball through college. Most people are not as strong or athletically gifted as Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods. They aren’t necessarily the best models for us unless we want to commit ourselves to a significant fitness program and practice routine.

• Like 1

I actually went the other way.......in 1986.....switched from Vardon to Innerlocking......Handicap went from 15 to 10. Then I moved to FL where I did not have time to play and it went to 18.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I actually went the other way.......in 1986.....switched from Vardon to Innerlocking......Handicap went from 15 to 10. Then I moved to FL where I did not have time to play and it went to 18.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Golf in summary

I've been playing interlocking since I started playing and recently have had issues with my right pinky joint and wrist. Glad I'm not the only one! I'll try to loosen the grip to help.

Sent from my SM-G930P using MyGolfSpy mobile app