Golfspy_CG2

Rory Mcilroy Wins Players Championship-WITB

POWERED BY M5 DRIVER & '19 TP5 GOLF BALL, RORY MCILROY CAPTURES THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE WITH FULL BAG OF TAYLORMADE PRODUCT 

McIlroy's 15th career PGA TOUR victory is the 3rd win on Tour for TaylorMade’s New M5 & M6 Drivers featuring the company’s ground-breaking Injected Twist Face technology; also second win in three weeks for new Spider X putter

306600 twitter 1086386322787290429 a42917 large 1552859086

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

• As he has since the Tournament of Champions in Kapalua, Rory has continued to play a 9° M5 Driver, of which he's found remarkable success this season. At TPC Sawgrass, Rory averaged 305 yards off the tee for the tournament - good for fifth in the field. 
  • In addition to the M5 driver, McIlroy also games a 19° M5 titanium fairway, which he put into play the same week he added the M5 driver to the bag - in Kapalua. 
  • Rory's first PGA TOUR win of the season is the 4th win for the new 2019 TP5/x golf ball - joining Johnson (x2) and Fowler as staffers who've won playing it. Rory's preferred golf ball is the is the '19 TP5, stamped #22.
  • Working diligently to find his putting stroke heading into the season's first major championship, McIlroy added the new Spider X putter to his equipment arsenal this season and the results have been impressive. This week, he carded 21 birdies or better en route to victory. His win is the second on the PGA TOUR with the company's newest putter; joining the winner of the Honda Classic. 
  • Having played the Milled Grind Wedges since first joining Team TaylorMade, Rory's setup has remained fairly consistent throughout the year This week, he opted for the Milled Grind Raw in 48°, complementing it with 54° & 60° Milled Grind Hi-Toe wedges. 
  • With the win, McIlroy will elevate to #4 in the OWGR and is set to be a #1 seed at the WGC-Dell Match Play next week. 
306603 gettyimages 1136442880 c95fba original 1552860856

Additional Statistics of Note: 

Ranked first in strokes gained: total (13.924)

Ranked first in strokes gained: tee to green (3.316)

Ranked second in strokes gained: off the tee (5.309)

Ranked T3 in greens in regulation (58/72 - 80.56%)

Ranked fifth in driving distance (305 yards)

M5 Driver | 9°

M5 Fairway | 19° 

P750 irons | (3-4)

P730 irons | (5-9)

Milled Grind Wedge | 48° 

MG Hi-Toe Wedges | 54°& 60°

• Like 2

Talk about a “combo set”

A 19º fairway wood... so now there will be a steep decline in 3 wood sales.  😉

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Or an uptick in 2 iron sales 😳

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

That’s probably not a bad thing for most amateurs 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

6* of gap between wedges I see...Interesting

I have the same gap between mine.  I don't see it as an issue.  I practice 9:00, 10:30, and full shots for each wedge.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s probably not a bad thing for most amateurs 

Truth, when I worked at Dick's I would always try to get people into more of a 4 wood over a traditional 3 wood just for better launch conditions because of the help the loft gives you. I find it interesting looking at the signatures of people with their bags in them and seeing how many one wood players go in that 16-19 degree loft instead of a stronger 14-15 loft. It warms my heart.

2 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Truth, when I worked at Dick's I would always try to get people into more of a 4 wood over a traditional 3 wood just for better launch conditions because of the help the loft gives you. I find it interesting looking at the signatures of people with their bags in them and seeing how many one wood players go in that 16-19 degree loft instead of a stronger 14-15 loft. It warms my heart.

I struggled with 15* or stronger and played 5w. Had somebody put me in a 16.5 and haven’t looked back since.

I've always preferred a 4 wood over a 3 wood.  I'm carrying a 16.5*, 21*, 24* wood.  It works for me.

I mean, just one more on the topic of the wood selection of tour pros. They're looking to use that fairway wood for long approaches on par 5's that they can bring in high, so it doesn't surprise me to see these higher lofted woods, especially with 2 or utility iron players, as they likely go to those of short tees if they need to find fairway.

Not to mention how far they hit their drivers and other clubs!

51 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Not to mention how far they hit their drivers and other clubs!

That’s the reason Rors isn’t using a 3w. Said it was too long