Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Deejaid WIT(classic)B 2019

14 minutes ago, deejaid said:

You mentioned the knurled hosel, now does yours have rings above and below the knurled marks? Because 1960 is the first appearance of the knurled hosel with rings, changed from just the knurled hosel.

I really appreciate your help.

Yep - mine has the rings on either side of the knurled marks.

Edit: perhaps REG.7164 corresponds to July 1, 1964 release?

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

No problem!

Now, the book shows that in 1962 there was a catalog called “Gateway to Golf” with a bunch of different models based on different head shapes with pros names. The book only has the first and last 4 pages of the “Gateway to Golf” catalog, so I am wondering if if your Super Strokes were part of that 1962 Gateway to Golf line. The Patty Berg’s look pretty similar.

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

You guys......

Seeing someone's older stuff a few weeks ago gave me the urge to pick up some Wilson Staff Fluid Feels and a couple Powerbilt persimmon woods.  I haven't taken them on the course yet, but the few strokes I have taken with the irons have been very pleasing.  I need to put together the WITB and WITB(V) now, but lighting hasn't been right whenever I have tried so I didn't have any forum worthy photos.

Anyways, the guy I picked them up from has about 7 staff bags full of old clubs.  There were several sets of Wilsons and some Hogan Radials and Directors.  I was planning on getting one of the Hogans, but the Fluid Feels looked so good.  Three of the bags were stuffed full of Persimmons.  I was keeping an eye out for an LFF or a JS, but didn't see one.

If there is anything that you guys are hunting for, I can go back and snap a bunch of pics.  It will all be donated on June 6, so he might take about any offer. (But the R90 will be mine).  I am fine with snagging something and shipping it to you if something strikes your fancy.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

One of those sets of WIlson Staff irons was supposed to be pretty rare, but I can't for the life of me remember the model.

The 1958 and 1959 Wilson Staff Dyna-Powered are pretty highly regarded. The sand wedge from those years were super popular with pros up through the 1980’s, so much so Wilson reissued the sand wedge.

The 1958’s are so good, really the perfect head shape and the feel is as good as my KZG’s. I’ve actually been playing my 58’s more than my modern clubs lately.

If you go back, if he has any Wilsons with Dyna-Powered or Dyna-Weight on the back, grab them, you won’t be sorry. And if they have the original leather grips, I’d be interested in them if you aren’t.

In 1962 Wilson switched the name to Dyna-Power ( no “ed” on the end), still very good clubs but not as sought after.

As for woods look for Macgregor M85, M75, M43, M33, 693, M09, 045. Macgregor are really the most sought after woods.

Let’s see pics of what you found so far. I look forward to seeing the Wilson irons you got.

Have fun with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

9 minutes ago, deejaid said:

The 1958 and 1959 Wilson Staff Dyna-Powered are pretty highly regarded. The sand wedge from those years were super popular with pros up through the 1980’s, so much so Wilson reissued the sand wedge.

The 1958’s are so good, really the perfect head shape and the feel is as good as my KZG’s. I’ve actually been playing my 58’s more than my modern clubs lately.

If you go back, if he has any Wilsons with Dyna-Powered or Dyna-Weight on the back, grab them, you won’t be sorry. And if they have the original leather grips, I’d be interested in them if you aren’t.

In 1962 Wilson switched the name to Dyna-Power ( no “ed” on the end), still very good clubs but not as sought after.

As for woods look for Macgregor M85, M75, M43, M33, 693, M09, 045. Macgregor are really the most sought after woods.

Let’s see pics of what you found so far. I look forward to seeing the Wilson irons you got.

Have fun with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if there were too many quite that old.  I am guessing more 70's-80's.  I remember some fluid feel Button Backs.  Several Penna persimmons.  Those were a bit of a blur.  So many crammed in the bags it was hard to remember what else.  I can meet up with him and try to take pics of the rest.  I need a five wood, and I need to pry that R90 out of his hands.  I was trying to get him to throw it in with the rest, but he wasn't about to let it go.  I think that was my first sand wedge, and I called it steak sauce because of the brown laminated shaft.

Oh, and two of the bags were full of putters and another two of wedges.  I would have taken more time, but I was supposed to be at IFA picking up some fertilizer but met this guy at his storage unit instead. 

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

On 5/1/2019 at 4:19 PM, deejaid said:

The Orlimars were made in a factory in Oakland, CA, not far from the Oakland Coliseum in the late 70’s, early 80’s. That’s why they popped up for sale in my neck of the woods. Orlimar was pretty big in the Bay Area before their breakout product in the mid 1990’s, the Orlimar Tri-Metal.

Actually in some circles around here the Orlimar Tri Metals have a cult like following

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 5/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, deejaid said:

Scored this vintage WS Dynapower Triple Duty Wedge today for a dollar. All I really lack now is a PW - almost ready for a proper vintage loop.

41A6BC6B-D83A-41BA-8ACB-1523C79878A3.thumb.jpeg.febd72279c20e86d4ea59cd0fcf73303.jpeg

She held her own around the short game complex this evening but the full shots are going to take some getting used to.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Scored this vintage WS Dynapower Triple Duty Wedge today for a dollar. All I really lack now is a PW - almost ready for a proper vintage loop.
41A6BC6B-D83A-41BA-8ACB-1523C79878A3.thumb.jpeg.febd72279c20e86d4ea59cd0fcf73303.jpeg
She held her own around the short game complex this evening but the full shots are going to take some getting used to.

Great pick up! I just bought a Wilson 3-D Triple Duty to put in my vintage Wilson bag last week. I read in my Wilson catalog book it was described a a wedge that performs off the fairway, from the rough, and out of bunkers. I figured it probably wouldn’t do any of those to well but I was interested by the design.

Well, I took it to the range and I was shocked just how well it does play from all lies. It only measures about 53* but I was able to open it up and hit some nice high shots around the green. And out of the sand I liked it much more than the Sandy Andy, which is a bunker specific club really.

Again, great find on the Triple Duty!

Here is mine. 1955-57 model as it has the original TT Rocket shaft and leather grip.

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

The Triple Duty Wedge measures 53* and a Wilson pitching wedge from that period measured 52*. I believe the Triple Duty was marketed as a PW/SW replacement as it did the job of both.

Many sets of irons were sold as 2-9 and the player chose his wedge(s) separately.

So really, you are already all set!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

23 hours ago, deejaid said:

The Triple Duty Wedge measures 53* and a Wilson pitching wedge from that period measured 52*. I believe the Triple Duty was marketed as a PW/SW replacement as it did the job of both.

Many sets of irons were sold as 2-9 and the player chose his wedge(s) separately.

So really, you are already all set! emoji16.png

Sounds like I’m all out of excuses.

Tomorrow will probably be the day - wish me luck errrbody. Although things won’t be totally vintage because I’ll most likely be teeing up K-Sig (4-piece) pearls and have the Bettinardi SS38 Armlock in the bag for testing purposes.

But if todays vintage range sesh carries over it should be fun a round.

The gentleman (both sticks) occupying the range spots on either side of me today took turns hitting a few with the persimmon  Orlimar 3-wood. Their reviews: “thank you so much, that was really fun” and “wow, feels so soft and the sound reminds me of a old Rolls-Royce... ya know”

For me, the biggest takeaway from the vintage foray is the effect these clubs have on other people. I’d liken it to fellow gear-heads commiserating (and grinning) over an old muscle car.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Sounds like I’m all out of excuses.
Tomorrow will probably be the day - wish me luck errrbody. Although things won’t be totally vintage because I’ll most likely be teeing up K-Sig (4-piece) pearls and have the Bettinardi SS38 Armlock in the bag for testing purposes.
But if todays vintage range sesh carries over it should be fun a round.
The gentleman (both sticks) occupying the range spots on either side of me today took turns hitting a few with the persimmon  Orlimar 3-wood. Their reviews: “thank you so much, that was really fun” and “wow, feels so soft and the sound reminds me of a old Rolls-Royce... ya know”
For me, the biggest takeaway from the vintage foray is the effect these clubs have on other people. I’d liken it to fellow gear-heads commiserating (and grinning) over an old muscle car.

. I love it!

You’re right, people at the range just want to talk to you and check out the wood clubs when they see them, the same has happened to me.

Good luck and I’m sure you’ll play well taking the classics out for a round. I can’t wait to hear how it goes for you!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter