fixyurdivot

Interlock or Overlap?

Your Grip  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which grip do you use?

• Interlock index and pinky
    • Overlap index and pinky

I'm an interlocker. It was what I used when I first picked up a club so it's stuck. I did try the overlap or Vardon, but it didn't feel as secure to me. I've also tried the 10 finger and it was just hook city.

Posted (edited)

Neither,  baseball, I use to interlock but for the last 3 years I don't overlap at all, just touch. Started with chipping, trying to take my left hand out the stroke now do it on all clubs except putter. Find it more flexible in terms of hand positions.

Edited by Alf. S

I’m sure your teacher moved you to the interlock in the 70’s because that’s what Nicklaus used.

It matters but it doesn’t. Another words there are 3 types of grips that are tried and tested. Interlock, overlap and 10 finger. Each has its merits. Most important is that your palms face one another.

The overlap is far and away the most popular or common of the 3. But that doesn’t make it the right one for you or anyone else here necessarily

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Interlocking from day one. For a time I even putted like that. Never had a need to switch. Funny enough I’m a minority in my area with most the people around here using a version of the interlock.

Only a million different ways to swing the club right?

6 hours ago, EthanSterlingPrice said:

Interlocking from day one. For a time I even putted like that. Never had a need to switch. Funny enough I’m a minority in my area with most the people around here using a version of the interlock.

Only a million different ways to swing the club right?

I think your 2nd paragraph should read.

"Only a million different ways to swing the club wrong?"

And I've used them all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was taught how to hold a club using interlock when I was like 5 years old or so and never tried anything else.

Today, I switched to overlap with the exception of driver --  for some reason it just feels too strange at the moment with driver. Probably wasn't the smartest idea to try it in a round, even though it was just after work 9-hole practice, instead of at the range but I didn't really notice any difference performance wise. Do interlock and overlap carry with them different tendencies? 

overlap cause that's what my Uncle- who took me for my first game - said to do.

I tried 10 fingers for a few months which felt great, but went back to overlap for consistency.

I tried interlock on a range, nearly broke my little finger😂

I'm definitely interlock grip.  I like feeling I have more contact with the club itself.  Overlap just doesn't feel comfortable to me at all.  I putt the same way with interlock but I forward press.  

So last week I tried switching to overlap, couldn't do it. Interlock is too natural for me when I go to grip the club. Now I've been working on not having such a deep interlock and keeping the left hand a little more on the left side of the club.

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

I was taught how to hold a club using interlock when I was like 5 years old or so and never tried anything else.

Today, I switched to overlap with the exception of driver --  for some reason it just feels too strange at the moment with driver. Probably wasn't the smartest idea to try it in a round, even though it was just after work 9-hole practice, instead of at the range but I didn't really notice any difference performance wise. Do interlock and overlap carry with them different tendencies? 

Interlock tends to favor a draw/left miss while overlap tends to be a fade/right miss. 

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Interlock tends to favor a draw/left miss while overlap tends to be a fade/right miss. 

So I guess that means the 10 finger or "baseball" grip tends to favor the middle.  😀

I used the 10 finger grip since I started playing 27 years ago... until last year.  I tried the interlock and like @perseveringgolfer it hurt my finger.  I think the size of the grip might have an effect here.  I decided to try overlapping, mostly because I could grip the club with less pressure and reduce trail (right) hand dominance.  For the moment I'll stick with that.  

• Like 4

Whoa, this could be a game changer. I did notice that switching to overlap yesterday stopped me from cooking shots too far left. My normal flight is a draw so maybe this will straighten it out a little. Time to experiment!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

So I guess that means the 10 finger or "baseball" grip tends to favor the middle.  😀

I used the 10 finger grip since I started playing 27 years ago... until last year.  I tried the interlock and like @perseveringgolfer it hurt my finger.  I think the size of the grip might have an effect here.  I decided to try overlapping, mostly because I could grip the club with less pressure and reduce trail (right) hand dominance.  For the moment I'll stick with that.  

I now use 10 finger and it doesn't go straight.

I've tried them all and can get a big high cut with them all, even when I don't try. Just a matter of degrees for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

I now use 10 finger and it doesn't go straight.

I've tried them all and can get a big high cut with them all, even when I don't try. Just a matter of degrees for me.

Yeah, it's mostly not the grip type.  That's the club face open relative to swing path... I know!!

I had a slice with the 10 finger grip and corrected it with a 10 finger grip.  I have found that since I went from 10 finger grip to overlapping, my grip pressure with my right (trail) hand is less and it's easier for me to hit a draw.

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, it's mostly not the grip type.  That's the club face open relative to swing path... I know!!

I had a slice with the 10 finger grip and corrected it with a 10 finger grip.  I have found that since I went from 10 finger grip to overlapping, my grip pressure with my right (trail) hand is less and it's easier for me to hit a draw.

That's interesting, to me it feels the exact opposite and that I won't close the clubface due to my right hand influencing the clubface less and not "turning over" as much. Brains are weird 😄

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, yungkory said:

That's interesting, to me it feels the exact opposite and that I won't close the clubface due to my right hand influencing the clubface less and not "turning over" as much. Brains are weird 😄

That is what happens to me as well. When I miss left, I feel like me right hand has "flipped" the face shut. For me the overlap take the right hand out of the swing, and eliminates the flip left. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I have a problem on my through swing.  When my right hand is on the club a little too tight, I tend to come over the top a little and promotes a fade.  It also slows down my swing. I can't afford ANY loss of speed!!!  It was worse with 10 finger grip.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 11:41 AM, cnosil said:

I just naturally started interlock and have never switched.  I have tried overlap a couple of times and is doesn't feel as secure.

Same here. I've fooled with overlap a few times, but I can never get comfortable with it. 

• Like 1