Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Good or bad advice?

azstu324

In light if the recent MGS ball testing:

So I'm at a large sports retailer looking through golf balls to see if any sales peaked my interest. As I'm looking, an elderly lady walks up next to me and asks "which Titleist balls are the best?" Not realizing the loaded question she just asked.. and who she was asking, I then asked who they were for and what skill level they played at. She then answered it was for her son's birthday who just started playing and he wanted Titleist because they're what the pros use. (Not a full discussion that I needed to get into..)

So I then proceeded to show her different versions of Titleist that we're lower priced. Knowing that her son really wouldn't be able to unlock the full benefits/potential of a pro V1 or V1x, and that he'd likely be cycling through a $45 box in just a handful of rounds I told her that I wouldn't recommend going straight for the pro V's. She then asked me what I would get for someone like him and I pointed her to my gamer ball (TM project(a)) (could have been a number of different brands and models) but I gave her my honest opinion because she asked.. and they were on sale for $25. She took my recommendation.

Questoon: Should I have let it be and pointed her to the pro V's or did I do a good thing by pointing out a good ball that wouldn't have been a waste of her money?

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

You did fine

I think would might have asked if she had a budget because receiving a box of Pro VIx’s would be a cool gift for a kid getting into golf.

But your answer was sound, reasoned practical advice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm not sure you could have done any better. She's able to get him twice as many solid balls for the same money that way.

It does beg the question of what's the best cheap beginner's ball? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search for it at the moment.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I probably would have handed her a doz PV1. She wanted to gift her son not fit him into a ball. I'm guessing since you said the lady is elderly her son is rather old too and not a kid. But either way IMO it doesn't matter. A $50 gift is just that; a gift. Same thing if she wanted to buy her son a football like the pros use. You wouldn't recommend a rubber ball since he's not an expert. Sometimes us forum members take thing too serious. I feel sorry for the guy not getting a very top of the line ball. He would have been thrilled. Hopefully old mom won't realize the was talked into a cheaper model. Sadly the son will.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm not sure you could have done any better. She's able to get him twice as many solid balls for the same money that way.

It does beg the question of what's the best cheap beginner's ball? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search for it at the moment.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I started out I was buying Slazenger balls by the dozens because I lost them as fast as I bought them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

In light if the recent MGS ball testing:

So I'm at a large sports retailer looking through golf balls to see if any sales peaked my interest. As I'm looking, an elderly lady walks up next to me and asks "which Titleist balls are the best?" Not realizing the loaded question she just asked.. and who she was asking, I then asked who they were for and what skill level they played at. She then answered it was for her son's birthday who just started playing and he wanted Titleist because they're what the pros use. (Not a full discussion that I needed to get into..)

So I then proceeded to show her different versions of Titleist that we're lower priced. Knowing that her son really wouldn't be able to unlock the full benefits/potential of a pro V1 or V1x, and that he'd likely be cycling through a $45 box in just a handful of rounds I told her that I wouldn't recommend going straight for the pro V's. She then asked me what I would get for someone like him and I pointed her to my gamer ball (TM project(a)) (could have been a number of different brands and models) but I gave her my honest opinion because she asked.. and they were on sale for $25. She took my recommendation.

Questoon: Should I have let it be and pointed her to the pro V's or did I do a good thing by pointing out a good ball that wouldn't have been a waste of her money?

The bigger question is where did you find the Project (a) on sale????

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I would have handed her a box of ProV1s since the kid specifically requested a box of the best Titleist for his birthday.  I know best is subjective but if the kid has Titleist on his wishlist and Taylormade show up he may be disappointed even if they are a better fit for him.  

I know when my kid wants a certain gift, if we decide to get it for her I'd like to get her the exact one she requested.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

... The amount of people I run across on a golf course that say they are playing a Titleist but have no idea which one or even worse, say they are playing a ProV1 Velocity and ProV1 DT is mind boggling. For a beginner the Project A is a great choice. It is just silly to give a gift that the recipient cannot appreciate on the course. Now a high index player that can't break 100 but has been playing a long time may appreciate some ProV1's as a gift, if just to have played them once. But not a beginner. I think you made a perfect suggestion.  

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

3 hours ago, chisag said:
... The amount of people I run across on a golf course that say they are playing a Titleist but have no idea which one or even worse, say they are playing a ProV1 Velocity and ProV1 DT is mind boggling. For a beginner the Project A is a great choice. It is just silly to give a gift that the recipient cannot appreciate on the course. Now a high index player that can't break 100 but has been playing a long time may appreciate some ProV1's as a gift, if just to have played them once. But not a beginner. I think you made perfect suggestion.  

Yeah in the moment, this was my exact logic. The fact that his mother didn't know the specifics of which Titleist he was wanting more or less told me that he didn't know the specifics.

A while back I was golfing with my pops who is a decent and avid golfer but completely oblivious to brands and models of equipment.. that's ok because I'm nearly hyper obsessive and can't expect others to understand how my brain functions. He asked me to get something out of his bag and I noticed a wild mix of Titleist ball models. I asked him why he was using so many different models.. he kind of gave me a blank stare and said.. "well I've seen you use them so I got a box of 100 from Amazon for cheap". I'm guessing that out of 100 he might have gotten 5 pro V1s and never knew if he'd used one. To him a Titleist was a Titleist. He recognized the brand but didn't really "know" the brand. Truth be told, I may have used a Pro V only a few times but most other times I use the TM P(a) but it was Titleist that he recognized. I then gave him a Pro V1 to use and explained the difference.. within about 3 holes he said.. I should have called you before I bought that box. Even then I talked him out of anything Titleist and convinced him to try the K-sig balls. Now that's all he uses. Even after he understood the difference, I knew that him or his game wouldn't benefit anything from spending more money on fewer balls.

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG