Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Lynx Black Cat and Prowler VT Irons

Still a lot of rounds left for this guy before we are finished but as of now my only complaint would be how the ball is effected by wind. I am contemplating putting a c taper lite 110 shaft in my 7 iron for a comparison. I already hit a high ball so I’m thinking the Tour 90 shaft might be exacerbating the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That would be an interesting experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Here's some numbers from my sim sesh. 

The distances surprised me, and the spin rates seem low, but when I did driver, spin was 3xxx to low 4xxx, so who knows. 

I cant say whether the numbers are right, but we can compare their differences so here they are 🙂

PW: AMP Cell Pro wins for flag hunting, but the Black Cat is not far behind.  C300 wins outright distance but less accurate and less stopping power. 

pw.JPG.60377285339dbdef4cba0b9657d49ea3.JPG

7i: it looks like C300 wins out, especially in distance.  The Black Cat here is not bad though, and look at that 2nd shot!  I recall the feel of that shot being incredible.  But, a 30yd spread when trying to attack flags is a bit of concern.  Call that one a flier or maybe just the perfect shot?  Duno. 

7i.JPG.9eb26659f85aee010b6cdd0488ee190e.JPG

With 5i, I think it comes down to whether I want the ball to stop or to run.  The Cat hits the brakes harder, the wilson is LONG.  Not far off from my fairways and hybrids!  

5i.JPG.492c8db961766a67fe62e22ade9a1ad2.JPG

Like I said, these numbers seem a little amped.  Speaking of AMPs, it was fun to try the Rickie Fowler ish clubs again 🙂 the 7i was just a pinch too much muscle, I didn't swing the 5i, but I recall the 5 and 6 actually being more forgiving than the 7-8.  Different cavity.  

Anyway, I included the MB irons to see how spin rates and launch characteristics would compare.  

I still need a loft/lie check.  I'll visit a closer store for that and maybe see about putting these up against some other hollow forged clubs.  🙂

• Like 7

Got Arccos!! 

First time out with it and my game went kaput.  Still managed 3 pars in a row and a 246 yd drive :).  None of these numbers will mean much for a bit though.  Things like hitting into wind or uphill dont seem to be accounted for, and my putter grip has a damn magnet on the end 😞  Oh well, sorry John Daly, time to retire the Loudmouth grip 😞

20190816_083359.thumb.jpg.503a16a50638261063d47a7cc3c9ab70.jpg

Maybe I'll just get that TA putter 😉

Anyway, stoked to see what this app can do for my game 🙂 and for this review.  

Screenshot_20190816-082627.thumb.jpg.2935cc431d24fa7d99efb07d57fc8625.jpg

• Like 2

Got Arccos!! 
First time out with it and my game went kaput.  Still managed 3 pars in a row and a 246 yd drive :).  None of these numbers will mean much for a bit though.  Things like hitting into wind or uphill dont seem to be accounted for, and my putter grip has a damn magnet on the end  Oh well, sorry John Daly, time to retire the Loudmouth grip
20190816_083359.thumb.jpg.503a16a50638261063d47a7cc3c9ab70.jpg

Maybe I'll just get that TA putter
Anyway, stoked to see what this app can do for my game and for this review.  

Screenshot_20190816-082627.thumb.jpg.2935cc431d24fa7d99efb07d57fc8625.jpg
That's awesome! It is sad that you can't use it on your current putter grip. I bought a Superstroke grip and didn't realize it had a screw out insert that is used for counterweights and had to drill out the hole to get my putter sensor to fit in it.

I think you'll enjoy Arccos and the data you get will definitely be beneficial to you. I can't wait to see the results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

59 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's awesome! It is sad that you can't use it on your current putter grip. I bought a Superstroke grip and didn't realize it had a screw out insert that is used for counterweights and had to drill out the hole to get my putter sensor to fit in it.

I think you'll enjoy Arccos and the data you get will definitely be beneficial to you. I can't wait to see the results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yea, I could drill it n fill it but I'd have to fill the cavity where the ball marker sat, which I immediately lost 😂.  Gonna see if Golf Galaxy has the Odyssey grip I loved.  

• Like 1

Oh and the Black Cats were made for the green Arccos sensors!  Looks like they belong 🙂

• Like 2

Got a  new Wynn Jumbo Lite, which is the lightened version of the jumbo Odyssey grip.  That'll go on tonite. 

I almossst pulled the trigger on a new Tommy Armour putter.  I wanted to see what the fuss was about with the Impact No. 3, didn't like it at first.  I liked this TA instead, which had this neat added feature:

20190816_122558_1.gif.09a45b3782ae873853bb16a02e10f41f.gif

• Like 5

Gapping part 1

GW-7i

Was a bit hesitant to post this for 2 reasons. 1, the spin numbers were not accurate. The monitor that I was using requires a marked ball to pick up the correct spin. I wasn't using the marked balls for this session. 2, I'm working on a new-ish swing ala the Gary Woodland article in Golf digest. Trying to shorten and slow down my back swing a tad to gain more control through the swing. Needless to say my spin and yardage is not the usual. That said, the swing was consistent so gapping should be fairly accurate.

As you can see, my concerns definitely came to life as there is roughly a 25 yd gap between my 50° and PW. I can definitely afford to strengthen the loft to 48° as my 56° Bridgestone fly's about the same distance.

Part 2 will be 3i-6i. I'm considering including my 18° UDI. If you do or don't care to see it let me know. The 3i is also 18° but definitely not getting the same distance. My Dynacraft UDI is about 2" longer, graphite, and a much beefier head. Similar hollow design with cast body and forged face. It's a beast! sketch-1565920989304.jpegsketch-1565920834233.jpegsketch-1565921168327.jpegsketch-1565920709710.jpegsketch-1565921167988.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 5

Good stuff guys. Keep up the great updates.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A little downside.  

Tried to install via compressed air.  It popped immediately.  😞 like a 9mm.  My ears are still ringing.  

Any chance the store will have some sympathy?  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

20190817_151236.thumb.jpg.4ff54725a437e5db88701e847c96f50d.jpg

20190817_151228.thumb.jpg.dfc5dc699574e392a17221e6b6168150.jpg

On the upside, I managed to remove the Loudmouth grip intact 🙂 and it held air no problem. 🙂

==================

UPDATE.  Kevin at Golf Galaxy, East Hanover, exchanged the grip and even installed it for me!  🙂

They ran out of blue somehow, but red is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🤟🤟🤟🤟 happy ending.  Back to golf 🙂

20190817_163109.thumb.jpg.08eaee1f7ad091a861c4a740d06c81f1.jpg

Edited by knightsofnii
Better news.
  • Like 5

Not sure what to make of all of this yet. 

Arccos works pretty well... buuut... it's not seamless.  An update mid round killed its recording for half the holes.  Yesterday it loaded the wrong course.   Luckily I have decent memory and I can edit in my shots.   Wait... the irons... 

Heres some screen grabs of what I have going on so far.  I'll have a full round soon.  

Screenshot_20190821-080507.thumb.jpg.d828d4cefbb6cbaa5987f676c37721f5.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-080156.thumb.jpg.26827df3741ffbf191562285efd0bb54.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-080300.thumb.jpg.874776ada086122f32e9b0242b7b6f10.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-080356.thumb.jpg.2aaebc071d9f263f88cc7d68f009579f.jpg

I haven't had many spectacular shots that went super far or really stood out. 

A lot of "just missed it" just outside dead center that are going hi, far enough, and stopping dead.  Only the thinnest of stingers are getting roll out.  And the sweet spot feels huge.  I'm mishitting pretty significantly to really be punished.  Except slight toeside pulls will go a bit too far, I've airmailed a few greens.  

Oh, side note, that putter grip feels outstanding.  My putting doesn't reflect that though 😞

• Like 2

Played the worst round since high school today. I couldn’t hit driver, wedge, or putter today but the irons were good.
I am still finding that they are very slightly shorter when there isn’t any wind. However the ball seems to be extremely effected by the wind off the Prowler VT’s for me. I will be installing a c taper shaft into the 7-iron to see how much difference there is.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Played 18 at Dobson Ranch GC today. It's been 22+ years since I last played there and boy was it a fun and very challenging course. I'd completely forgotten that about every other hole is a dog leg right or left and completely blocked out by towering palms and pines. Unless you have your shot shaping in sheck, course management is a definite must. To add to that, the greens were pristene and anything but flat. They had all the holes prepped for a men's club tourney and pin placement was brutal. Overall I shot an 84 with a +3 on the front and a sickening +9 on the back. The +9 was just due to some poor short-game club selections and course management blunders

That said, both the driver and flatstick were firing on all cylinders.The irons.. Once again, I don't think I hit any horrible shots. Do I feel like I've got them completely dialed in? Not quite. I will say this though, that putting the Star grips on made a night and day difference. They're noticeably lighter than  the Lamkins (50g vs 62g) and just have a much better feel IMO. Because of the slight swing weight change, I'm feeling the club head more and turning over is no longer a challenge. Flushed quite a few longer iron shots. Hit a green on a par 3 at about 180 yds with the 7i. The ball stopped about 1' away from the pitch mark. That's some ZIP right thur! Overall another successful round with the Prowler VT's in the books. 

Here are some questions that I'm definitely beginning to formulate answers for:

• Are the prowler VT's any better than my current gamers?
  • Are the distances any longer than my current gamers" 
  • Is the trajectory any higher than my current gamers with the KBS Tour 90 shafts?
  • Would I consider replacing my current set with the VT's?
  • Do I like the looks, sound, and feel of the VT's any better than my Maltby's?
  • Is a set of 3-PW worth the $800 price of admission?

TEASER

So how's this for playing games? 

Anobody reads this post and wants an answer to any of these questions before the stage 2 goes up, I'll answer the first person who responds to this post with any of one of these that you would like. If there is another question that you feel is more imortant, feel free to call it out as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Played 18 at Dobson Ranch GC today. It's been 22+ years since I last played there and boy was it a fun and very challenging course. I'd completely forgotten that about every other hole is a dog leg right or left and completely blocked out by towering palms and pines. Unless you have your shot shaping in sheck, course management is a definite must. To add to that, the greens were pristene and anything but flat. They had all the holes prepped for a men's club tourney and pin placement was brutal. Overall I shot an 84 with a +3 on the front and a sickening +9 on the back. The +9 was just due to some poor short-game club selections and course management blunders

That said, both the driver and flatstick were firing on all cylinders.The irons.. Once again, I don't think I hit any horrible shots. Do I feel like I've got them completely dialed in? Not quite. I will say this though, that putting the Star grips on made a night and day difference. They're noticeably lighter than  the Lamkins (50g vs 62g) and just have a much better feel IMO. Because of the slight swing weight change, I'm feeling the club head more and turning over is no longer a challenge. Flushed quite a few longer iron shots. Hit a green on a par 3 at about 180 yds with the 7i. The ball stopped about 1' away from the pitch mark. That's some ZIP right thur! Overall another successful round with the Prowler VT's in the books. 

Here are some questions that I'm definitely beginning to formulate answers for:

• Are the prowler VT's any better than my current gamers?
  • Are the distances any longer than my current gamers" 
  • Is the trajectory any higher than my current gamers with the KBS Tour 90 shafts?
  • Would I consider replacing my current set with the VT's?
  • Do I like the looks, sound, and feel of the VT's any better than my Maltby's?
  • Is a set of 3-PW worth the $800 price of admission?

TEASER

So how's this for playing games? 

Anobody reads this post and wants an answer to any of these questions before the stage 2 goes up, I'll answer the first person who responds to this post with any of one of these that you would like. If there is another question that you feel is more imortant, feel free to call it out as well.

Would you consider replacing your gamers with the VT's? If so, what are the top 3 reasons?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Would you consider replacing your gamers with the VT's? If so, what are the top 3 reasons?

Great request! I'll have 3 reasons for you later today as I'm out and about with the wife and kiddos. I definitely want to provide a well thought out and typed response. Stay tuned! Thanks 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, golfertrb said:

So I've had the day to think this one over. Kids are in bed and the wife is at the movies so I've got some time to attend to this very important task that I've definitely set myself up for 😉 

I'll start with the answers (yes plural) right away. The first answer is No. I would not consider replacing my gamers (Maltby DBM's) with the VT's. The second answer is Yes I would consider replacing most other sets of clubs with the VT's. 

For starters, it's not that I dislike the VT's at all. to be quite honest.. there's very little not to like about them. So far they've lived up to everything that I would expect top-notch club to deliver. Fact of the matter is that the Maltby's are just that good of a club IMO and incredibly underrated. I knew going into this that the VT's would just have to be something extraordinary, and I would dare say life-altering in order to consider replacing my beloved black beauties. 

All of the usual categories aside.. looks, feel, performance, sound, etc, the DBM's just edge out the VT's and I would be happy to elaborate if anybody has any further interest. This is however a review on the Lynx Prowler VT's and NOT Maltby Golf Clubs 😎. It's really the special little details that I find make the differencec between the 2 sets that I'd like to touch on, and hopefully still maintain a positive light on the VT's. 

1. Uniqueness: I'm a guy that likes to forge a different trail in a world of conformity. I put value on things that can tell a story.. or at . least invoke conversation. From the very first day that I've owned my Maltbys, I've felt that my clubs represent who I am. You see them and know they're different from anything on the shelf at the big-box retailer but you know they're not just cheap knock-off's and are a quality piece of craftsmanship. The Prowler VT's definitelly fit the non-conforming bill (at the moment) and I love that! Conversations to be had are plentiful. The direction that they're aspiring to go however is more toward the mainstream crowd and away from their own independence. Not that there's a problem with that at all. It's just not my cup of tea. 

2. Price: This is where the DBM's and Maltby clubs really take the cake. Maltby golf clubs are offered exclusively through a company called Golfworks. Golfworks for the most part is a golf club compononent company who sells aftermarket components i.e. shafts, grips, club fitting and building equipment, etc. For an entire set of irons (4-GW) to be bulit to my specs with top of the line components in Ohio and shipped to my house cost me $400 (all in!). I think I paid $450 because I also had a hybrid added. That said, for a full set of Prowler VT's from 3-pw, I belive the cost is somewhere in the $800 range. Similarly constructed hollow design sets from competitors will easily set you back $1200++ so the VT's really are a good buy for the market that they're entering into. To further support how incredible Maltby is, they too offer a hollow muscleback-ish design with a forged face and a polymer insert (cream filling) that just looks asolutely stunning for around $450 (TS1).

3. Customization and options: As I had mentioned, the Maltby's are sold by Golfworks. Golfworks in fact is a company started and run by Ralph Maltby who has a golf club building and design pedigree to rival that of Bob Vokey. In fact, a guy named Tom Wishon was an understudy of Ralph's back in the 80's. With all of that, the Maltby golf clubs have about every customization option available down to the ferrule if one so desires. Additionally, the sheer volume of club design offerings from Maltby is quite impressive too say the least. The VT's left a bit to be desired in this category with 2 KBS shaft options and 2 of the lower-end Lamkin grips to choose from. Although the shaft and grip options are limited, I'm quite happy with my KBS Tour90 shaft and feel that it performs to the level of club that the VT is trying to live up to. 

Hopefully that was an adequate answer to the question and a unique spin on this process. Ultimately I'm quite impressed with the Prowler VT's up to this point and am hopeful that this relationship continues to improve. Each time I take the clubs out, they continue to impress and perform as advertised. 

Edited by azstu324
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

So I've had the day to think this one over. Kids are in bed and the wife is at the movies so I've got some time to attend to this very important task that I've definitely set myself up for 😉 

I'll start with the answers (yes plural) right away. The first answer is No. I would not consider replacing my gamers (Maltby DBM's) with the VT's. The second answer is Yes I would consider replacing most other sets of clubs with the VT's. 

For starters, it's not that I dislike the VT's at all. to be quite honest.. there's very little not to like about them. So far they've lived up to everything that I would expect top-notch club to deliver. Fact of the matter is that the Maltby's are just that good of a club IMO and incredibly underrated. I knew going into this that the VT's would just have to be something extraordinary, and I would dare say life-altering in order to consider replacing my beloved black beauties. 

All of the usual categories aside.. looks, feel, performance, sound, etc, the DBM's just edge out the VT's and I would be happy to elaborate if anybody has any further interest. This is however a review on the Lynx Prowler VT's and NOT Maltby Golf Clubs 😎. It's really the special little details that I find make the differencec between the 2 sets that I'd like to touch on, and hopefully still maintain a positive light on the VT's. 

1. Uniqueness: I'm a guy that likes to forge a different trail in a world of conformity. I put value on things that can tell a story.. or at . least invoke conversation. From the very first day that I've owned my Maltbys, I've felt that my clubs represent who I am. You see them and know they're different from anything on the shelf at the big-box retailer but you know they're not just cheap knock-off's and are a quality piece of craftsmanship. The Prowler VT's definitelly fit the non-conforming bill (at the moment) and I love that! Conversations to be had are plentiful. The direction that they're aspiring to go however is more toward the mainstream crowd and away from their own independence. Not that there's a problem with that at all. It's just not my cup of tea. 

2. Price: This is where the DBM's and Maltby clubs really take the cake. Maltby golf clubs are offered exclusively through a company called Golfworks. Golfworks for the most part is a golf club compononent company who sells aftermarket components i.e. shafts, grips, club fitting and building equipment, etc. For an entire set of irons (4-GW) to be bulit to my specs with top of the line components in Ohio and shipped to my house cost me $400 (all in!). I think I paid $450 because I also had a hybrid added. That said, for a full set of Prowler VT's from 3-pw, I belive the cost is somewhere in the $800 range. Similarly constructed hollow design sets from competitors will easily set you back $1200++ so the VT's really are a good buy for the market that they're entering into. To further support how incredible Maltby is, they too offer a hollow muscleback-ish design with a forged face and a polymer insert (cream filling) that just looks asolutely stunning for around $450 (TS1).

3. Customization and options: As I had mentioned, the Maltby's are sold by Golfworks. Golfworks in fact is a company started and run by Ralph Maltby who has a golf club building and design pedigree to rival that of Bob Vokey. In fact, a guy named Tom Wishon was an understudy of Ralph's back in the 80's. With all of that, the Maltby golf clubs have about every customization option available down to the ferrule if one so desires. Additionally, the sheer volume of club design offerings from Maltby is quite impressive too say the least. The VT's left a bit to be desired in this category with 2 KBS shaft options and 2 of the lower-end Lamkin grips to choose from. Although the shaft and grip options are limited, I'm quite happy with my KBS Tour90 shaft and feel that it performs to the level of club that the VT is trying to live up to. 

Hopefully that was an adequate answer to the question and a unique spin on this process. Ultimately I'm quite impressed with the Prowler VT's up to this point and am hopeful that this relationship continues to improve. Each time I take the clubs out, they continue to impress and perform as advertised. 

Very well said. Your goal was to articulate an answer while at the same time speaking positively of the VT's and you were successful. I have purchased from Golfworks often (as early as last week) and Ralph Maltby and Tom Wishon are legends and you absolutely right in everything you said about them. I really appreciate your satisfaction with your current sticks and you made your position clear in your Stage 1 - so what I'm gathering the VT's are good just not "life altering" - not bad at all. What would you say is thr best quality of the VT irons?

• Like 2

I used Golfworks to aid in figuring out what driver shafts may work for me.  Then the right combo hit at 2ndswing so I pulled the trigger: 

20190824_145108.thumb.jpg.223f58d9f67b62a0b4e7a1e27564d3c9.jpg

20190824_145224.thumb.jpg.aac6c4904c3ce93c3f80f14a1d1af478.jpg

20190824_145126.thumb.jpg.7135587cc4e5788c3501c83223a2a59c.jpg

On several occasions I've had Maltby iron sets ready to go in the cart but backpedaled 

• Like 4

Hi Guys and Gals,

Been working quite a lot so have only played a couple of uneventful rounds the last two weeks. Good news is that both rounds were pretty solid and my handicap is trending down! The stats below show my last 10 rounds with the last 8 played with the Black Cat irons.  image.thumb.png.5914393fc708aece7a6d4d2bc93ffbfc.png 

Without a doubt my improved approach numbers are the driving force influencing the lowering of my handicap.

Compare the 14 rounds prior to putting the Black Cats in my bag.

image.thumb.png.47b4945fa7876e5a927f202d5fa22bd4.png

Are my :titelist-small: AP1's doomed for the sale rack? We shall see as stage 2 results loom near🏌️‍♂️

• Like 4