Golfspy_CG2

2020 Official Member Review: Tour Edge EXS Pro Hybrid

Our Sponsors

14 hours ago, ncwoz said:

No question about the performance, I've been extremely impressed so far. Really nice ball flight, really stable and really consistent for me.

Obviously looks, sound and feel start getting into the subjective stuff, and I think it fits my taste better than the other testers from the sound of it. Might be comparing extremes here, but hopefully that makes more sense what I was hoping to see/not see. I snagged a picture from Callaway's site of their Mavrik Max hybrid, and put it up against one of the pictures I've got of the EXS Pro. Nothing against Callaway specifically, just grabbed one as an example. I don't like seeing a ton of mass out of the back, and I don't like seeing the kind of "bulge" towards the toe if that makes sense. I'd feel like my eye would gravitate towards all that mass and I'd be hitting everything out of the toe. This picture almost doesn't do it justice, because I almost feel like the EXS Pro is almost a half the depth the Mavrik Max appears to be. I also like that from address you don't see anything except the crown and and face. No other paint, markings, etc.

1962221249_ScreenShot2020-07-21at4_09_19PM.png.48046ad50e2642c1b8287ecdedee4de6.pngIMG_20200707_175218850.jpg.a26f2b5b5d199e7aafcae0c9c579d38d.jpg

I have enjoyed the sound, but am admittedly not picky about it. It'd need to be pretty extreme to put me off. I'm still planning on snagging a video next time I'm at the range, and I'm going to get some pictures at address.

Similar story on feel for me. I do notice when I've hit it out of the center or not, which I like for feedback on shots and potential misses. Out of the center it feels like the thing is gonna go to the moon, I have really enjoyed every swing I've managed to hit dead nuts.

If anything I do kinda understand what @zrumble is saying about the shiny crown (and love matte finishes myself) but I have yet to be distracted at all by the crown. 

IMG_20200721_195529090.jpg.250d20c674535585779d9e120466a298.jpg

Here's another look from address for reference.

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

Before we get too far into testing, I wanted to get a post together for a quick summary of my long game, and what I'm looking for this club to do. I'll touch more on the fitting/specs side and my amateur testing protocols in a later post.

As a mid-high handicapper, consistency is something I could use help with throughout the bag. I've been keeping some stats with TheGrint to try and get a better awareness of where my game needs help, and at the top of my bag my biggest issue is avoiding hazards and OB. I'll take Driver when I feel like the risk of trouble is high, 3W when I feel like I need a bit more control but can still get after it pretty well, and 3 iron when it's really tight. My miss is left with all 3 clubs, and it can get pretty ugly. We're talking 30 yard left, low pull hooks, so bad can get ugly quick.

Not counting the last few rounds I've had the EXS in the bag, this year off the tee I'm averaging 29.6% FIR, and averaging 5.35 penalty shots per 18 (TheGrint counts a bunker as a 0.5 stroke penalty). If I were to guess, I'd say easily 4+ of those strokes are lost from the tee box. I'd really like to see some big improvement on both of those.

I typically hit it far enough that distance isn't my issue. My 3W is roughly my 260 club, and my 3i roughly 215 (at least theoretically 🙄). Far from ideal gapping, so I'm looking for the EXS Pro to be my 240ish club. With my distance I'm usually not needing 240 into greens, so the biggest thing I'm looking for out of this club is to be a reliable fairway finder. A few courses I frequent are relatively short, but also really narrow and penal when you miss the fairway. I can already think of 6-7 holes on our company's league track I know I'll be taking the EXS off the tee.

With my distance, I typically only find myself more than 200+ yards out on par 5's. Traditionally the upper end of my bag has been too inconsistent to fire away at those longer par 5's in two, so I typically will just lay up to wedge into the green. If the EXS Pro is consistent enough for me, I would love to be able to try and take some more cracks at par 5's in two, so I'll keep tabs on that as well.

Lastly, I'm hoping to be able to use the hybrid as a bit of a utility club. Punch shots out of trees in particular, to get me out of the trouble I've found myself in. I don't typically bump and run with anything lower lofted than my 52° wedge, unless there's some extenuating circumstances. I'll also test the "hybrid putt", but it's not a shot I've had before so it won't be exactly apples to apples.

And with that, I'll leave you with a video of my hitting the EXS Pro on the range last night! (First strike was out of the toe, second was pretty centered. And yes, I sweat a lot haha)

• Like 3

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Alright, wanted to go into some more detail on how I got my specs for this club. Tour Edge being more towards the smaller/DTC type manufacturer, I was curious to see what the experience would be like to get some specs for the club. Personally, the potential difficulty in getting fit to clubs is what gives me hesitancy on some of the smaller companies. However, after looking around some of the local shops, I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of them did carry & fit Tour Edge clubs.

Now, specifically with the Exotics EXS Pro model, no one I talked to had it in shop. I wasn't expecting it, as the EXS Pro line are limited edition. I decided to get fit with the "normal" EXS hybrid model at the Golf Emporium, a shop that uses Foresight for their fittings. We started off hitting the two clubs they hybrid would sit between, which is my 3W and 3i. We found my 3W to be about my 260-265 club, and my 3i being about 215, so we were shooting for the hybrid to be my 230-240 club. Then we starting hitting the hybrid.

When I squared it up, it felt really good. However, the stiff shaft they had in there wasn't quite enough for me. I was ballooning the ball with almost 6,800 revs and getting a bit too much height because of that. My swing speed was coming in around 106-110 mph with the hybrid. 18° seemed to be what I'd need to fit my gap. My fitter has a relationship with the midwest Tour Edge rep, so he gave him a call to talk through shaft options. With my speed, they both agreed on an X-stiff shaft. However, the stock X-stiff offering is the Hzrdous Smoke Black 80, which they agreed was more appropriate for a more harsh transition. My tempo is pretty smooth, so the Tour Edge rep suggested getting me the Project X Black Evenflow X-stiff shaft. He said that even though it wasn't a stock shaft, it wouldn't be an up-charge (although because the MGS testing orders go through MGS, I can't actually verify this for sure).

All in all, I was really impressed with the process. Even though I wasn't able to swing the actual club I would be receiving until it was shipped, they hit the nail on the head. The shaft recommendation was a great one, and I absolutely love how the Black Evenflow feels. Another thing the EXS Pro has going for it is its adjustable weights. It comes shipped as a draw bias, so I've swapped the weights and have been playing it in the fade bias setup. And that's where we have it!

• Like 5

Right Handed

Played a fantastic round today. Had a triple bogey after one wedge that was a flier went into no mans land behind an elevated green in the trees and shortsided pin on a downslope away... but I still shot my handicap. 
As for the Exotics Pro, it continues to live up to the hype and I can seemingly always count on it staying in play. It is now my go to tee shot on short and narrow par 4s. I aim down the left edge and swing hard. Watch it send my ball on a gentle push fade down the middle. I hit 12/14 fairways today by picking my spots with my driver. I also had 2 shots tie for best shots of the day, and the EXS Pro accounted for one of them. 225 yards into a slight breeze for my second shot on a par 5. Hit a little push draw to 10 feet! (My other best shot was my 4 iron that I hit my second shot on another par 5 8 feet short of the flag)

• Like 2

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Made it out yesterday to play at Greenhorn Creek Golf Course in Angels Camp, CA. Once again I left the 3 wood at home and brought out the new trusty Tour Edge! Once again a hook free round. Used it off several tees, over corners and as approach shots to greens. I had one shot that was out of the rough, 210 yards, up a very steep hill. I though I can try to smash my 3i and hope I clear the traps guarding the green, or I can choke down a bit and just let this club loft it up there nice and simple. Hit it to about 20 ft (then 3 putted for par 😕 ). I was thinking that it might have been my best shot with the club so to date. Then I had another shot that was a sharp dogleg right with trees guarding the corner. I needed to go about 235 to get that corner. I threw down my ball, grabbed my Tour Edge, cleared the corner trees, then stuck the approach to 3 ft for birdie. Once again, might have been my best shot to get over those trees and be in perfect position, but no. A couple holes later I cut another corner with driver on a Par 5 (with driver), but apparently should have bitten more off as I went through the fairway and into a trap. I was about 2 paces from the lip, 225 yards out. I have never tried this club from sand yet and figured this would be  a great opportunity. Clipped it Perfectly! Cleared the lip, cleared the green side bunker, and stopped pin high at about 15 ft. I could not have hit my 3i that far, nor Could I have gotten my 3 wood over that lip. I stepped out of the bunker and looked at my friend "Man I love this club!"  (ohh and I managed to not 3 putt it this time either) 

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9.5* head set to 8* loft 3*open, weights set slightly lower Launch and fade bias
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: B X, and currently testing the Vice Pro + Neon just for fun

21 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Alright, wanted to go into some more detail on how I got my specs for this club. Tour Edge being more towards the smaller/DTC type manufacturer, I was curious to see what the experience would be like to get some specs for the club. Personally, the potential difficulty in getting fit to clubs is what gives me hesitancy on some of the smaller companies. However, after looking around some of the local shops, I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of them did carry & fit Tour Edge clubs.

My fitter in Bozeman, MT even had them 🙂.  He said they've been pretty popular.  I did try the 7i but it did not yield my better numbers.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Snuck in 9 this morning. 2 more tee shots, 2 more fairways. This club is a keeper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zrumble said:

Snuck in 9 this morning. 2 more tee shots, 2 more fairways. This club is a keeper. 

I've been taking hybrid off the tee as opposed to driver a lot more than I usually would, and I'm beginning to realize that I really shouldn't hit my driver as often as I do haha

• Like 1

Right Handed

28 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I've been taking hybrid off the tee as opposed to driver a lot more than I usually would, and I'm beginning to realize that I really shouldn't hit my driver as often as I do haha

Definitely. I feel like it’s added a dimension to my game. Picking my spots to bomb it vs play one into a smart area. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zrumble said:

Definitely. I feel like it’s added a dimension to my game. Picking my spots to bomb it vs play one into a smart area. 

It helps when you have a hybrid you trust so much and don't feel like you are taking away from your ability to score

• Like 3

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

2 hours ago, jayjay0808 said:

It helps when you have a hybrid you trust so much and don't feel like you are taking away from your ability to score

Absolutely! Now I feel like I can all but eliminate the left side off the tee if I have to, and that is a confidence booster. I'm now looking at my specs on my woods to see if I can tweak those in some way to also help eliminate the left. My swing path can get as much as 5-6 degrees in-to-out because I drop it under the plane so I've always struggled with somewhat of a two way miss depending on my timing. My eyes are definitely open now to what a one way miss actually feels like, and the confidence it gives. I'm scaring all my PB's on the local tracks.

• Like 1

Now who's gonna get this Hybrid of mine next, Playing it forward.....

• Like 1

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

Boy, can't say it's totally hook-proof. Unfortunately for my score in league tonight, it was much more than the hybrid. Snap hooked 2 hybrids, a 5i, and 2 6i's over 9 holes 😬.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Right Handed

Swing wasn’t agreeing with the EXS Pro tonight. It was still serviceable, but my timing was a bit late so all my clubs were fading. The EXS Pro with its right bias was going well right of target, but the flight never surprised me. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 12:37 PM, fixyurdivot said:

My fitter in Bozeman, MT even had them 🙂.  He said they've been pretty popular.  I did try the 7i but it did not yield my better numbers.

Been down to Sheridan lately to play the Powder Horn????

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

Now who's gonna get this Hybrid of mine next, Playing it forward.....

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 & 4 hybrids regular shafts 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

4 hours ago, Zen Snake said:

Been down to Sheridan lately to play the Powder Horn????

Your thinking of Sheridan, WY.  We live in the Ruby Valley, about 8 miles south of Sheridan, MT.  Lot's of folks confuse the two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Your thinking of Sheridan, WY.  We live in the Ruby Valley, about 8 miles south of Sheridan, MT.  Lot's of folks confuse the two.

I saw u were getting fitted in billings and figured u were close one direction or the other.

2 hours ago, Zen Snake said:

I saw u were getting fitted in billings and figured u were close one direction or the other.

Fitter is in Bozeman.  Billings is almost 4 hours from my place... Montana, like TX is a huge piece of real estate.