Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Top 100 U.S. - Golf Magazine

LICC

The top-100 is out. I've played a handful so I'm no expert on all of these, but to me all these lists seem to overrate lots of the older courses just based on historical legacy or championships played on them. For example, Glens Falls is better than Spyglass?

https://golf.com/travel/courses/golf-top-100-golf-courses-us-2020-2021/

Edited by LICC
Additional comment

Overall the primary aim of the ratings are to prioritize the courses which stand out architecturally. Keep in mind that raters go to these courses and input their numbers....However, Some places care about that process and others abhor it. With 16500 courses just in the US and picking the top 100....well some will fight to be better and some take the "We know how good we are and don't care what you think"   

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

1-6 are spot on and some of the best I have played. I would play any of them on an hour’s notice on my wife’s birthday. National is exceptional and one of the yearly invites I look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

On 11/8/2020 at 5:42 PM, Jmikecpa said:

1-6 are spot on and some of the best I have played. I would play any of them on an hour’s notice on my wife’s birthday. National is exceptional and one of the yearly invites I look forward to.

Oakmont? Really? What makes it better than Pebble or Pacific Dunes or Sand Hills? Oakmont seems like the perfect example of the course itself being overrated due to history and exclusivity. 

6 hours ago, LICC said:

Oakmont? Really? What makes it better than Pebble or Pacific Dunes or Sand Hills? Oakmont seems like the perfect example of the course itself being overrated due to history and exclusivity. 

Go play it and you'll know...

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

Go play it and you'll know...

What he said. Oakmont is spectacular and I would drive the 8 hours to play it on zero notice.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

I had to go all the way down to #83 (Hollywood) to get to one I've played, and that was 30 years ago in high school.  Hoping to knock Pinehurst #2 and #4 off the list this year.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

12 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

What he said. Oakmont is spectacular and I would drive the 8 hours to play it on zero notice.

Ok, but tell us why it is better than all but 5 courses in the entire country. I’m sure it’s great but what makes it better than 50 other great courses? I just think people buy into hype. 

8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I had to go all the way down to #83 (Hollywood) to get to one I've played, and that was 30 years ago in high school.  Hoping to knock Pinehurst #2 and #4 off the list this year.  

I’ve played or walked 11. I would rank those differently and I have played others that are better than the ones ranked. 

Lots of hipster picks on that list.  I wouldn't mind playing them all and making my own assessment 🙂.

I thought Fisher's Island didn't like being included in rankings.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Ok, but tell us why it is better than all but 5 courses in the entire country. I’m sure it’s great but what makes it better than 50 other great courses? I just think people buy into hype. 

Well to start it is in Arnie’s backyard and his history there is flat out cool. The course itself is always in great condition and very challenging. Add to that the blue collar vibe the club has and it is flat out a great place. Growing up in PA I have played it a dozen or so times and would play it at the drop of a hat.

I am not sure it is better than any other course in the top 10, not my rankings. I have played all the Top 10 courses and they are all just amazing. Really not sure one is any better than another.

WITB 2024

I have played about 1/2 of the top 100. I also rate courses for one of the mags. I played Hollywood in August and was shocked how good it was. they just had some renovation work and it came out wonderfully. 3rd best in NJ in my book...PV and Somerset Hills 1,2.   But candidly there are so many outstanding courses. I've made 23 trips to British Isles because they let normal folk play their very best without an invitation from a member. So I have played more of the best there than in the US. Got to play Merion and Pine Valley in the same week once.....and truth be told I preferred Merion...More because my caddy at PV was a butt and I played exceptional at Merion. But on paper PV is #1 absolutely....These lists create great discussion points. Pebble for instance...It is very ordinary for 1/2 of the course. 1/2/3/11/12/13/14 you might think you are at Del Monte....Fishers Island I have had pleasure to play often...one of best days was just last Oct as I got to play it with two of my sons. First time I played there it was blah....each time back I am more impressed. Thankfully they are very rater friendly whilst many other top US places are not. Last point...I have been to Bandon 3 times. You want to see the best of US that is open to public...Go there...and each time the various guys I go with....we will argue as to which course is best....and each of them get votes...5 courses all in the same place and it is difficult to get 2 to agree which one is best......

So I have never played Oakmont. Know many who have, who I respect their opinion....I can make many places happen...Here's my offer....Get me onto Oakmont and I'll do a reciprocal at Fishers or someplace else quite noteworthy....Or if you have an in someplace else quite nice....reach out and we can make a deal....Ha  

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

My go to for the best insight into golf course ratings as far as a book.....Tom Doak's Confidential Guides...It is a 5 book set with each book covering a specific geographic area.  Good stuff if you are into ratings of golf courses...…...

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

• 3 weeks later...