Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

A Labor of Love - Muirfield Village Golf Club

GolfSpy Tim

I received notice from Nicklaus Golf that this weekend/Labor Day weekend there was a tournament being held (or a couple of them) in Dublin, Ohio in which the tournament would be 12 holes long, and the greens would house larger cups. (it it was April I would have assumed this was an April Fool's joke)

There has been a quiet but powerful movement largely pushed by Jack Nicklaus to get more people into the game of golf, and part of that has included discussions of making courses 6, 9, 12 holes instead of 18 for an entire "round."

Looks like this is the first attempt I've heard of anyone actually doing it.

Anyone on here live nearby and hear about this from someone who actually played? Or did any of you head out and try it?

They said the cups were 8" vs. a normal 4.25".... seems interesting - along with several other ideas, such as penalties for slow play.

Personally, I don't think changing the cup size is that big of a deal in the scheme of things. Most people I see who get turned off to the game get frustrated that they can't hit a ball down the fairway.

I think we need more links style courses with wide fairways where you don't lose a ball every hole when you're first learning.

Looking forward to seeing how these types of events play out.

The news release I was sent is included for your reading enjoyment here:

Nicklaus Golf

Muirfield Village Golf Club

A Labor of Love

In support of faster and more enjoyable golf, Jack Nicklaus and Muirfield Village Golf Club introduce Labor Day weekend tournaments of 12 holes, larger cups and slow-play penalties

DUBLIN, Ohio—Over recent months, Jack Nicklaus has joined several of golf's leading organizations, including the PGA of America and USGA, to encourage out-of-the-box thinking to attract new players to the game and retain those already in the game. In an effort to show his commitment, the Golden Bear is experimenting with fun and innovative options in golf at one of the world's most prestigious clubs, Muirfield Village Golf Club.

Muirfield Village Golf Club, as part of its Labor Day weekend golf festivities, will host two separate 12-hole tournaments, during which golfers will be encouraged to play one tee up from where they normally play, the hole will be almost doubled in size, and participants will be penalized for slow play.

“I love the game of golf and believe we have a unique opportunity right now to grow our sport,” Nicklaus said. “But we all have to recognize that the game in our country has been stagnant for a number of years, and actually has lost a significant number of golfers—close to four million in the last five years, according to the National Golf Foundation. The numbers of female and junior golfers—two segments that once represented a large percentage of the new people coming into the game—have dropped 23 and 35 percent, respectively, over the last five years. Many say the game is too hard and others say the game takes too long.

“I think the game is a great game and in no way am I trying to change it. There are few bigger traditionalists than me, but I realize we need to start thinking out of the box. So I ask all the traditionalists to be tolerant while we try something new, something fun to hopefully help us grow the game. It's too important for us not to try. With so many sports and activities fighting for the time and attention of families, we need to think of ways to make our game more attractive and thus more inviting, especially to children and young adults. Perhaps what Muirfield Village is trying over Labor Day can help open a few eyes and a few minds.”

Nicklaus has been outspoken in recent months about providing new and current golfers options in a round of golf. For example, if golfers are limited by time or energy, encourage them to play 6, 9 or 12 holes instead of 18. Nicklaus has also encouraged clubs to occasionally expand the hole once a month or even once a week in an effort to entice some people who might have been reluctant to try the game because they fear it's too difficult.

At Muirfield Village Golf Club and The Bear's Club, Nicklaus' Ohio and Florida home clubs, he has created a 12-hole scorecard as an option for members. At Muirfield Village, a 12-hole composite (Holes 1, 2, 5-13 and 14) will be used for a 12-hole better-ball tournament on Sunday, Sept. 4, and another 12-hole, stroke-play event on Labor Day, Sept. 5. In both rounds, the club will use an 8-inch cup, rather than the normal 4.25 inches.

To encourage faster play, participants will be required to complete their round in 2.5 hours, and players will be penalized one stroke for every five minutes over the allotted time limit.

“Muirfield Village Golf is excited to be a part of any efforts to grow the game by bringing new perspectives on it,” said Jack Nicklaus II, Chairman of Muirfield Village Golf Club. “The traditions and integrity of the game will always be respected and honored, but golf has to be cutting edge. The time has come for the golf community to make a fresh start for the benefit of the future of the game, and show new people that the game of golf can be about makeable putts, camaraderie and enjoyable competition played out in a timely manner.”

Muirfield Village intends to extend their experiment into October. Traditionally, as the golf season nears its end, the club has invited all members' children who play on a local golf team, middle school or high school, to bring their entire team to play the world-ranked golf course. This year the tradition will continue, but with a 12-hole event utilizing the 8-inch cup.

The club was also among those across the country which participated over the July 4th holiday in “Tee It Forward,” an initiative from the PGA of America and USGA that encouraged golfers to play the course at a length that is aligned with their average driving distance. Golfers were inspired to speed up play by utilizing tees that provide the greatest playability and enjoyment. Nicklaus was among the campaign's proponents, and Muirfield Village has promoted the program all season. A scorecard with five new sets of tees was created, and according to Head Golf Professional Larry Dornisch, “Golfers have been encouraged to move up to a comfortable yet challenging yardage.”

“This was among many initiatives we have discussed,” Jack Nicklaus added, “and I think families around the country will enjoy alternate formats like this to make the game more fun.”

In addition to the unique Labor Day weekend format, the event and the club will be playing in support of Patriot Golf Day (Sept. 2-5). At least $1 per person from every round of golf will be collected and donated, although members will be encouraged to give more.

“Golf has a rich history for giving back, and in this case we have an opportunity to give back to the families of our military men and women who have sacrificed life and limb for our freedom,” Nicklaus said “At the same time, with what I hope will be a fun and unique event, we are giving back to the game of golf itself.”

About Muirfield Village Golf Club:

Muirfield Village Golf Club, located in Dublin, Ohio, in the northwest portion of metropolitan Columbus, opened in 1974. It has been a staple in U.S. and World Top-100 rankings and for many years has been voted as the top-ranked course in the state of Ohio. In 1976, Muirfield Village Golf Club became the host venue for the Memorial Tournament, one of the most prestigious events on the PGA Tour. The Tournament, founded and hosted by Jack Nicklaus, is conducted each year with three goals in mind: to honor the memory of individuals living and deceased who have distinguished themselves in the game of golf; to showcase the world's best golfers competing on one of the most challenging venues in the world for the enjoyment of spectators; and to benefit charitable organizations in Central Ohio.

Sounds like what softball is to baseball :)

Personally I think people who want to play golf want to play it the way it was meant to be played. The handicap system works well enough to level the playing field.

The points I've found from people who are hesitant or outright don't want to play golf are:

1. The perception that golf is not a "real" sport or it's more of an elitist activity or it's boring (usually this comes from people who have never played).

2. The cost of entry. Sure, there are cheaper clubs out there, but it's hard not to feel like you are further handicapping yourself by buying the cheap stuff. Again, this is perception since a low handicapper could use a very cheap set and still score well.

3. Finding other people who golf. This is a bit of a chicken and egg thing, but it's hard to get into golf without having friends who also golf. Anyone can play a pickup game of baseball, football, or basketball, so it's never difficult to find others to play (eventually the cream rises to the top).

4. I've yet to see anyone who starts off being able to hit the ball well. It does take commitment to stick with it, especially for those of us (myself included) who don't have much natural athletic talent.

The only real way to increase interest in golf IMO is through programs like the first tee, because for the most part young kids don't care about any of the above points.

I personally feel that courses could probably offer group lessons in such a way to allow beginners to at least feel like they have a clue out there... I have friends who I think would probably at least come out and play once in a while if they had that type of opportunity without the normal fees associated with lessons.

But I do agree, it kinda is like softball to baseball. I personally wouldn't play a course with larger cups

I feel like the handicap system is great for regular players, but new players it does nothing for

Also, EVERYONE I've ever played with wants to play from the tips... I've only ever golfed with two players who drive the ball fall enough for the tips to make any sort of sense (I don't come close to playing from there)

Not sure if finding a way to get people playing appropriate tees would make much difference, but it's an interesting discussion.

Tim: I think you make a great point about larger cups not solving the main frustration. I also don't care for the larger cups. They tried larger cups on tour and the best putters just won by larger margins (or so I've read). Most people could care less about putting, they just want to hit the ball well and far. I think group lessons are a great idea, and they need to be publicized well.

IMO, the best solution I've heard to the slow play/lack of growth issue is to move people up a tee box or two. I've said repeatedly that I will play from 6,000 yards when I play with my dad because for him to play any further doesn't make sense: he only drives it about 200 yards. I think a large part of the tee box problem falls in the laps of the better players, not the worse players: if the best player in the group says "Let's play the red/white tees instead of the tips" the group will do it. The worst player in the group will never make this suggestion for fear of ridicule. I don't think this is a major sacrifice for anyone to make and it will help everyone have more fun. As someone I once played with told me, "When I break 70 consistently from the middle tees, I'll play the back tees."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

In our home course, we got introductory classes as a first golf experience.

One golf pro will take a group of 4-8 beginners who have no idea about golf. They get 2 hours of lessons, all the driving range balls, borrowed clubs and a welcome drink.

What does it cost? Nothing. You get to experience golf for free. There really isn't any excuse not to try it.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Getting started is a real problem for everybody, and it's really intimidating and humiliating to go to the range the first time and be totally unable to even hit the ball. Best recruitment in my eyes is a friendly how are you nod from anybody and maybe even a get you started lesson regardless if it's a non pro that teaches provided he is competent. The club and one of the gang atmosphere is really what draws people to this game.

Shambles

Archived