Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Increase loft?

When I was fitted for my clubs a few years back, I was hitting a high fade. 
Im now hitting a draw and struggle to get a decent amount of spin and height on my shots. 
I can’t afford new clubs right now, so trying to come up with ideas to help me out. 
Would adding a couple of degrees of loft help bring the spin/height up? Or will it not be enough ton notice so much?

My 7 iron is 30.5 degrees for reference. 

I have also been toying with the idea of changing my stock shot to hitting fades again to help but this will probably bring a whole set of other issues! 

6 minutes ago, bighairydel said:

When I was fitted for my clubs a few years back, I was hitting a high fade. 
Im now hitting a draw and struggle to get a decent amount of spin and height on my shots. 
I can’t afford new clubs right now, so trying to come up with ideas to help me out. 
Would adding a couple of degrees of loft help bring the spin/height up? Or will it not be enough ton notice so much?

My 7 iron is 30.5 degrees for reference. 

I have also been toying with the idea of changing my stock shot to hitting fades again to help but this will probably bring a whole set of other issues! 

In theory yes it will increase launch.  Spin is a combination of AoA and delivered loft so maybe.    Do you have actual numbers from a launch monitor that show what you launch, height, spin, delivered loft, AoA, etc are? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It can be something as easy a ball position they will change your path and face to path relationship.

Just way to many variables without seeing swing and/or launch monitor data 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don’t have numbers unfortunately, when I had lessons I was recommended to use a higher spinning ball. 

When I have a shot of my friends clubs the ball flights are way different (higher) hence why I’m thinking they’re just not best suited to me at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

The combo of higher spinning balls and more loft should help. There are a lot of variables at play but all things being equal, you're launch and spin should go up higher loft and higher spinning ball. The Titleist T100 7-iron clocks in at 34*, so your set is definitely on the stronger side. I would be careful going hog wild on raising lofts and is can really mess with the bounce and the turf interaction, so if possible I would recommend changing the loft on one iron before changing the whole set. 

Beyond changing you're swing, the only other things you change would be the shaft, grip, and head weight and that is tricky. Depending on the swing weight of you're irons, you may want to try a small amount of tape on the bottom back edge of the clubhead. You may be able to get a little more dynamic loft with a little lower and more rearward weight. This won't change much and may will likely be unnoticeable unless you really go heavy. Then you could use a different grip to dial in swing weights but you would still end up with a dramatically heavier total club weight which is unlikely to solve anything.

Ultimately, you likely need different shafts or a different club head which you already know. I don't know what you're hitting but you probably are going to want to avoid the generally lower spinning "tour distance" category like the P790s, i500s, etc.). The way the grooves are cut in some of those irons along with the hot faces can really lead to low spinning distance monsters that are hard to control. Assuming you play a middle of the road steel shaft, I don't know that there is a significant amount to be gained from changing shafts alone. Irons swings are generally a little to slow and steel shafts generally don't deflect that much during the swing. That's why the whole lead tape thing I mention above would likely have little impact.

Overall, increasing the lofts and playing a higher spin ball is probably about the best you're going to do with you're existing irons. Being an 8.7 hdcp, you may find you're next set of irons being a little more player oriented with more traditional lofts. I generally don't recommend actively changing a swing just based on equipment but you gotta do what you gotta do. If you want an affordable set of irons that offer some forgiveness and higher launch, I would recommend looking at some of the older Ping i-series irons from the i10s to i25s.

Best of luck!

On 1/10/2022 at 11:42 AM, bighairydel said:

When I was fitted for my clubs a few years back

I am not as proficient as others who have posted here so far.  I would ask one question,, and make a statement.

What, or how many  problem(s) is the non decent amount of spin, and  height, more "drawey" swing causing?  Even though it is not like what it used to be before.

My 7 Iron is also 30.5 degrees, and I got new clubs 3 years ago, not fitted.  I am better than I was then, and have also noticed that I now get some draw, and find it much easier to draw the ball intentionally if I want to with 8/9, when absolutely everything before was a fade, or straight NEVER A DRAW OF ANY KIND, with any club. I guess I never really thought of it as something I needed to address.  My seemingly normal set up now produces a slight draw, with my swing.  If I'm concerned the draw is going to ride a right to left wind,  or have some other concern, I will  pick my target, and then just open my stance, and make a little bit of a fade swing.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV