Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What do you use to get accurate distance WITH slope?

As I get better, I'm increasingly running into issues with using the GHIN app's GPS distances because they don't include slope. Apparently I'm a dummy and can't judge incline/decline. What do you guys use to get "plays like" distances? Or are you not dummies and can judge incline/decline?

And just for more context, I won't ever be playing in USGA tourneys, so I don't need a tournament-legal device. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

1 minute ago, brogies said:

What do you guys use to get "plays like" distances?

Experience.  Every player has different shot trajectories, so an elevation change affects players differently.  Make a guess, and the learn from the results.  Its not an exact science.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 minutes ago, brogies said:

As I get better, I'm increasingly running into issues with using the GHIN app's GPS distances because they don't include slope. Apparently I'm a dummy and can't judge incline/decline. What do you guys use to get "plays like" distances? Or are you not dummies and can judge incline/decline?

And just for more context, I won't ever be playing in USGA tourneys, so I don't need a tournament-legal device. 

Until I started testing the Shot Scope  Pro LX+ I always just used experience.   There are multiple rangefinders on the market that do slope calculations so anyone of them should work.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use a Precision Pro rangefinder with slope built in. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Someday I might get a lazer with slope. But I have just guessed based on experience. My course has a lot of elevation changes so I just got used to estimating how many clubs more or less to use to compensate for the elevation change.  After a while you get pretty comfortable making a judgement. 

The other thing to consider is you have to know your average distances with each club. Even if you have a lazer with slope it won't do you any good if you can't hit a club to that distance. I see that all the time. As an example a guy says he hits his 9 iron 145 yards. He has 145 to the flag and he makes good contact and puts it 130 yards into the front trap.  No need for exaggeration, who cares if it takes you a 9 iron or a 7 iron. Getting on the green is all that matters.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

49 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Someday I might get a lazer with slope. But I have just guessed based on experience. My course has a lot of elevation changes so I just got used to estimating how many clubs more or less to use to compensate for the elevation change.  After a while you get pretty comfortable making a judgement. 

The other thing to consider is you have to know your average distances with each club. Even if you have a lazer with slope it won't do you any good if you can't hit a club to that distance. I see that all the time. As an example a guy says he hits his 9 iron 145 yards. He has 145 to the flag and he makes good contact and puts it 130 yards into the front trap.  No need for exaggeration, who cares if it takes you a 9 iron or a 7 iron. Getting on the green is all that matters.

So true!

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Well, it would have been 145y if he landed on flat ground and it rolled out normally.  🤣  I play that shot all the time.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I grew up on a course with some elevation change, so I guess I've always been used to it. I do use a laser but it doesn't adjust for slope. If you're just trying to estimate the effect of slope, I would argue that it makes a little less of an impact than you may believe. Outside of the most extreme elevation changes on courses that do it for show, I generally never go up or down by more than one club, if I change my club at all. It could be that elevation doesn't affect me as much since I have a higher ball trajectory but it's not something that dramatically impacts my game unless I'm on an extremely hilly course like something in the Ozarks. I think there is a reason that slope rangefinders aren't a hot product because slope doesn't necessarily have that great of an impact on the game. There are also other factors being that many people play on flat courses and they aren't legal for tournament play.

If you play on hilly courses, get a laser with slope. A laser rangefinder, even without slope, will probably do more for your game than anything. However, if you get a laser, you might as well get one with slope. The special thing with lasers is that every shot at the pin becomes an exercise in distance control. GPS is fine for everyday recreational/casual golf. However, when you can laser every pin, your brain will constantly be making mental adjustments to what your clubs actual distances are. If you laser a pin at 153 yards and you pull out a 9 or 8 iron because you think that is your 150 or 155 yard club and it goes 7 yards by the pin, now you know you just hit it 160. Where lasers really shine is inside 100 yards. I would argue that everything 30 yards and out should be lasered if you're trying to get dialed in for competition. It may feel dumb standing what you think is 45 yards away lasering a pin but when you find out that the pin is actually 52 yards, you'll realize how valuable that information is. Eliminating bad yardage information is one of the easiest things to do in the game and lasers are one of the, if the best way, of accomplishing that.

I use the GHIN app for all of my distances as well. I'm not sure what your normal routine is, but I always look at the "Green View" (not available for all courses) to rough in where the pin is and get a better feel for distance. If you find yourself routinely coming up short, you can always target something 5-10 yards longer depending on the severity of slope. In most cases this should be enough. 

Aside from that, a laser with slope like others have stated is your best bet. Just make sure it's a reputable brand if you don't want any headaches or have to replace it anytime soon. Precision Pro has definitely proven itself as a solid bang-for-buck option, but you could also snag one of the new Shot Scope lasers as well. Shelling out much more than that for Bushnell just doesn't seem to be worth it these days.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Thanks for all the suggestions! Sounds like I just need to get better with my judgment of slope and love the advice that one club up or down should be enough in most cases. I live in Cincinnati though and it's quite hilly, so there are some courses that have holes with 20-30 yard declines/inclines. 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:57 AM, TR1PTIK said:

I use the GHIN app for all of my distances as well. I'm not sure what your normal routine is, but I always look at the "Green View" (not available for all courses) to rough in where the pin is and get a better feel for distance. If you find yourself routinely coming up short, you can always target something 5-10 yards longer depending on the severity of slope. In most cases this should be enough. 

Aside from that, a laser with slope like others have stated is your best bet. Just make sure it's a reputable brand if you don't want any headaches or have to replace it anytime soon. Precision Pro has definitely proven itself as a solid bang-for-buck option, but you could also snag one of the new Shot Scope lasers as well. Shelling out much more than that for Bushnell just doesn't seem to be worth it these days.

I will have to check out the GHIN app for future round tracking.  Do you share your data excel sheet?  I am looking to track my rounds to ensure proper focus for improvement.  Thanks!  Hit them long & in the short grass!

Ryan

www.9irongolf.com

Early on there was a reply that everyone's trajectory is different - that is incredibly true and it makes the slope function on a GPS less than useful at times.  I really think this one comes down to experience.  What I have learned from GPS is that the slope is not as much as I think it is.  I may have had an an uphill shot that I assumed was 60 feet (20 yards) only to discover that it was 25 feet once I had the GPS function.  Still that will play a good club longer, for me.  I live in Florida and there's not a lot of elevation change here but I grew up in Connecticut and then lived in upstate NY where there was so I learned how to deal with it in my formative golfing years. 

Generally speaking you are going to need to take more club than you think you need uphill because you don't launch the ball as high as you think that you do.  Once your start hitting  it long more than half the time, you can adjust for that.  

Great question - 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 7/25/2022 at 11:22 AM, brogies said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Sounds like I just need to get better with my judgment of slope and love the advice that one club up or down should be enough in most cases. I live in Cincinnati though and it's quite hilly, so there are some courses that have holes with 20-30 yard declines/inclines. 

Precision Pro...any of them with the slope function.  What you can do is use the slope function to double check what you thought the distance you should be hitting would be.  Once you get verification then you can start depending on the laser less. I have the precision pro NX7 and it's been great!

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder