Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp me I'm in shanksville

Ok I was playing solid last year and just got over the shanks during the summer. Then my appendix burst so I was out for about three months which I was gutted over because just before the op my game was sweet hitting every club in the bag consistently well. Since then I'm playing about once a week and kinda slowly getting back to where I was until bam! The shanks are back.......bad! I know to just forget about it and focus on my shot but I'm typing this after shanking the ball all over ten holes and eventually giving up and coming home.

What I find most frustrating is I kinda always have thought that I've got a good game and can challenge even really low handicappers but at the moment my golf swing feels alien to me......lost....help...sob sob

The drill I always do at the range for getting center contact with my irons is to put my iron behind the ball, then put another ball an inch away from the toe of the iron and a third ball an inch away from the heel. This should help hitting it flush. I think it was Matt who suggested this to me.

Best way I've found to make sure you rotate the club through impact is just take a bunch of practice half swings and make sure you don't see any club face or the cavity at the top of the backswing and at the end of your swing.

Take a tip from a high capper with a grain of salt though (though my iron play is pretty decent) :)

I had a method last year to get through the shanks mid round by gripping the totally neutral and just focusing on a solid contact but even that doesn't seem to work. I don't really want to stop playing but im not enjoying the game I love at the moment. I know it will pass cos I know I can go round my local muni a few over par.....I'm actually driving the ball pretty well though which is equally frustrating cos I'm landing the ball on the fairway it's my irons totally letting me down on my second shot.....

I read a funny tweet/retweet about fixing the shanks. Hank Haney said, "Put a headcover outside the ball and make sure you don't hit it. This will fix the shanks." A college friend retweeted that one with the added wisdom, "Works better with a brick."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Try backing away from the ball. That's a common mistake lots of people make trying to fix the shanks, getting closer when they need to get further from the ball. From there, lighten your grip pressure and move the club more into the fingers, and put a little space between your thighs and the grip.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Try backing away from the ball. That's a common mistake lots of people make trying to fix the shanks, getting closer when they need to get further from the ball. From there, lighten your grip pressure and move the club more into the fingers, and put a little space between your thighs and the grip.

Tried both of the above.....to be fair I am very interested in how the shanks work. I think it's a muscle memory problem. I used to teach a kid who's just turned pro and he said a shank technically is the best mis hit to have cos it's nearly a flush strike when a slice/hook takes a long time to shift. I have studied the swing till the cows come home and the shank.....if its not in my head I will give anyone a game.....if it creeps in......game over. I do think the shank would make an interesting article for my golf spy.....I have my theories....being a geek an all.

Ok I was playing solid last year and just got over the shanks during the summer. Then my appendix burst so I was out for about three months which I was gutted over because just before the op my game was sweet hitting every club in the bag consistently well. Since then I'm playing about once a week and kinda slowly getting back to where I was until bam! The shanks are back.......bad! I know to just forget about it and focus on my shot but I'm typing this after shanking the ball all over ten holes and eventually giving up and coming home.

What I find most frustrating is I kinda always have thought that I've got a good game and can challenge even really low handicappers but at the moment my golf swing feels alien to me......lost....help...sob sob

A shank is about a 1/4" from being a pure shot, it is one of those things that could just be caused from standing a little close to the ball or even a swing flaw. I think that GolfSpy Matt and RookieBlue7 have made some great points. I think that a shank is always an issue in the swing not really muscle memory or mental issues, it might turn mental if you let it and kind of turn into a yip so to speak, all of these are assuming you are RH golfer just flip where i say right side to left side if you are LH golkfer.

I think there are 3 main reasons that can cause a shank, here is the list and some drills to fix it if that is the issue

1) Posture and Distance from the ball at address is incorrect (normal reason)

--> You are standing too tail and too close to the ball at address this will cause you to turn more horizontally around the ball.

--> Drill, make a fist with you right hand point the thumb out towards the butt of the club and make sure you have at least that much gap between your belt buckle and end of the club. Also, have the upper chest feel like it is down pointed at the ball hing from the hip don't hunch over feel like you can put a 6 pack on the lower part of your back and have it stay there without holding it. Make swings that turn around this spine angle focusing on not changing posture through the swing.

2) Changing posture during downswing

--> Normally on the turn back the left hip moves forward and right hips a little back, on the down swing the right hip falls forward to the same position as the left hip rather then around the body.

--> Drill, You can take a lawn chain or some other type of chair that is waist high and put it behind you so that ti touches you butt on the back leg side, on the turn back you should remain in contact with the object with the right hip, on the down swing the object will still remain in contact with your backside and then left hip in the finish. This will keep your hips rotating around rather then moving out away from the ball or in towards the ball both ways can cause miss hits.

3) The take away is with only the arms (to far inside the line)

--> This will cause either a shank or a big hook (common issue in lower handicaps)

--> Drill, I place one ball in front of the face then one directly behind the face I practice dragging the club straight backwards in the first 3 feet behind the ball, the longer you take it away low and back the better you have a one piece take away and allow the arms to get into a proper positions at the 7 o'clock position (hands near the right leg with club point parallel down the line)

4) Think about the target and skipping a stone across the water, the right hand comes down to the right hip then the hips clear out of the way and your right arm folds across your body. If you allow you left hand to fold under the right and make an X with the forearms in a golf swing the toe of the club is always rotating from open to shut so there is no real way to shank a ball you might toe hook it but not shank it.

Hope that helps anyone can toss in a little more insight or tweaks to any of the above if they like these are just things that have worked well for me in the past correcting shanks.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

A shank is about a 1/4" from being a pure shot, it is one of those things that could just be caused from standing a little close to the ball or even a swing flaw. I think that GolfSpy Matt and RookieBlue7 have made some great points. I think that a shank is always an issue in the swing not really muscle memory or mental issues, it might turn mental if you let it and kind of turn into a yip so to speak, all of these are assuming you are RH golfer just flip where i say right side to left side if you are LH golkfer.

I think there are 3 main reasons that can cause a shank, here is the list and some drills to fix it if that is the issue

1) Posture and Distance from the ball at address is incorrect (normal reason)

--> You are standing too tail and too close to the ball at address this will cause you to turn more horizontally around the ball.

--> Drill, make a fist with you right hand point the thumb out towards the butt of the club and make sure you have at least that much gap between your belt buckle and end of the club. Also, have the upper chest feel like it is down pointed at the ball hing from the hip don't hunch over feel like you can put a 6 pack on the lower part of your back and have it stay there without holding it. Make swings that turn around this spine angle focusing on not changing posture through the swing.

2) Changing posture during downswing

--> Normally on the turn back the left hip moves forward and right hips a little back, on the down swing the right hip falls forward to the same position as the left hip rather then around the body.

--> Drill, You can take a lawn chain or some other type of chair that is waist high and put it behind you so that ti touches you butt on the back leg side, on the turn back you should remain in contact with the object with the right hip, on the down swing the object will still remain in contact with your backside and then left hip in the finish. This will keep your hips rotating around rather then moving out away from the ball or in towards the ball both ways can cause miss hits.

3) The take away is with only the arms (to far inside the line)

--> This will cause either a shank or a big hook (common issue in lower handicaps)

--> Drill, I place one ball in front of the face then one directly behind the face I practice dragging the club straight backwards in the first 3 feet behind the ball, the longer you take it away low and back the better you have a one piece take away and allow the arms to get into a proper positions at the 7 o'clock position (hands near the right leg with club point parallel down the line)

4) Think about the target and skipping a stone across the water, the right hand comes down to the right hip then the hips clear out of the way and your right arm folds across your body. If you allow you left hand to fold under the right and make an X with the forearms in a golf swing the toe of the club is always rotating from open to shut so there is no real way to shank a ball you might toe hook it but not shank it.

Hope that helps anyone can toss in a little more insight or tweaks to any of the above if they like these are just things that have worked well for me in the past correcting shanks.

I totally agree with me being too tall and standing too close to the ball. I have looked at moving a touch back etc......to be fair if i focus on hitting the ball sweet, and im focusing on my target then bam it happens......if i let it manifest in my mind then bam.....im shanking it.

I have honestly studied the swing for years and recently the shanks. I know exactly what causes it and have tried everything....i also do not want to start stnading over the ball with swing thoughts cos thats how they start. ive got to a level over the past few years where i focus literally on focusing on the shot ahead of me. Im confident my ability will get the ball where i want it.....though the shanks is a totally different ball game.

I can fix a slice mid round as I can a hook. I cant seem to fix this mid round?

It obviously is a physical change in my swing making it occur but i feel like i set up right, im focusing on tempo etc and the target.....im shutting out all swing thoughts....so i should be ready to hit a good shot and then oout of no where its back.

I played golf last night and hit a sweet drive down the middle of a short par 4. The best drive out a group of three. It was an easy pitch onto the green.....i had no thoughts of the shanks in my head...then i said to myself if i dotn shank this then i know ill be fine the whole round....it took me 5 shanked shots from there to get it on the green, by that time i 3 putted. An easy par 4 that last week would of been a birdie turned into a 9......yips, shanks i dont know....frustrating.....yes!

CHeers for the help everybody.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with me being too tall and standing too close to the ball. I have looked at moving a touch back etc......to be fair if i focus on hitting the ball sweet, and im focusing on my target then bam it happens......if i let it manifest in my mind then bam.....im shanking it.

I have honestly studied the swing for years and recently the shanks. I know exactly what causes it and have tried everything....i also do not want to start stnading over the ball with swing thoughts cos thats how they start. ive got to a level over the past few years where i focus literally on focusing on the shot ahead of me. Im confident my ability will get the ball where i want it.....though the shanks is a totally different ball game.

I can fix a slice mid round as I can a hook. I cant seem to fix this mid round?

It obviously is a physical change in my swing making it occur but i feel like i set up right, im focusing on tempo etc and the target.....im shutting out all swing thoughts....so i should be ready to hit a good shot and then oout of no where its back.

I played golf last night and hit a sweet drive down the middle of a short par 4. The best drive out a group of three. It was an easy pitch onto the green.....i had no thoughts of the shanks in my head...then i said to myself if i dotn shank this then i know ill be fine the whole round....it took me 5 shanked shots from there to get it on the green, by that time i 3 putted. An easy par 4 that last week would of been a birdie turned into a 9......yips, shanks i dont know....frustrating.....yes!

CHeers for the help everybody.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can always check your swing with a cell phone video camera, have a friend record a swing, when you shank one review the video to see where the issue might have come from. Good luck you will eventually figure it out.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I shank one every now and then with my wedges, from standing too close to the ball. The other day I bombed a drive, had about 50yds to the pin and I shanked one straight into the bunker, then shanked one from the bunker over the right side of the green. Last year, I got the wedge shanks the morning of my city qualifying round, I ended up chipping/pitching with 8 and 9 irons all day. I used to let it bother me, but after seeing an interview with Webb Simpson and him admitting that the camera doesn't always catch it, but he shanks one or two a tournament, I don't let it affect me.

The shanks are a mystifying thing aren't they? For some guys, it REALLY gets in their head to shank a ball. I think there's two parts to "the shanks", the first being the physical swing fault that is causing it, the second being all in the head. I have shanked balls on occasion of course, but I tend to view them as just another bad shot, no different than pull hooking one off the planet, or dribbling a ball off the tee. s*** happens! Just because I did it once doesn't mean I'm going to do it again. For some, a shank evokes an almost terror response. Once they hit one, they can't get it out of their head and the fear of hitting another one almost guarantees that they will. At that point, its more mental than physical imo.

I think the answer is just the same as any other swing fault. Back to basics. . .grip, posture, ball position. . . get set, relax, take it back and turn through the shot. You know you can do it, you're a 10 handicap.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

What is the old saying "A shank is a 1/4" from being a perfect golf shot".

Given that this saying probably came around in the days of baby blades and old blade design where the sweet spot was actually 1/8" to 1/4" in towards the heel of the club thanks to the more weighting in the hell then the toe on those blades and some modern blades. Then yea I can see that 1/4" could result in a shank on the older style blades and baby blades. Miura currently sells a blade that is based on the 1957 designs --> http://miuragolf.com/series57_blade.asp

I can tell you one thing I feel more confident hitting a modern sized blade then a baby 1957 blade model that is for sure. Even in the modern blades you might find the exact sweet spot of a club to be a hair inside the center line of the face. This could also be true for some modern players cbs, just depends on shape and weighting where the exact perfect sweet spot is for the club. most of the time you get more forgiveness in towards the hosel then you will the toe.

Just don't let it bother you to much, jut another golf swing, hope that it is in play and you can make another swing at the ball.

to be fair I know I could possibly play Saturday and I'll be fine which will send me on a good run......I think it is more mental.... I battled a slice for about two years with my driver.....I studied and studied the slice and will fix that literally as I hit it nowadays no worries....I don't tend to hook the ball so not too bothered. But I will admit the shank does bring about a feeling of mortal terror....once I overcome that they'll disappear. Also I go through spells were I play golf over few months and don't really care about scores or my handicap which results in my best golf...then I'll think right I'm playing well ill focus on this and that....bam I'm playing sh#t again......I dunno....cheers boys

Odd that this thread came up -- went to the range today and started out with a bad case of the sh**ks (sorry, can't even type the word - it's the golf ill that must not be named!). Hadn't happened in I don't know how long. Was sh**king every wedge I had...that led to hitting 6 and 7 irons fat. Wound up taking out the hybrid and was able to hit that just fine. Worked my way back up the bag and the sh**ks seemed to go away. But it's definitely between the ears, now....

After reading some of the tips and drills offered by you guys, will know what to do if the sh**ks come back again.

Maybe you should put a tee behind your left ear, and move all your change to your right front pocket....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

People are superstitious about a shank. I had a pure shank in a golf round as a result from a poor swing sequence or poor address position probably a combination of both. My friend that used to be a Class A PGa Professional went 'I don't know what that was', I went 'that was a pure f***ing shank is what that was', he went 'Yea we don't say that word but you are right'. I just had to laugh about it, I forgot about it completely feel back to my basics and started hitting the ball properly.

I really don't see a shank as mental unless you turn it into a 'yip' where it doesn't happen ever in practice but it happens in a round where a shot becomes important and start thinking about the possibility of a bad swing or result. You really can't convince me that a shank is something mental without completely eliminating the possibility of a swing flaw.

On the modern golf club you literally have to miss the center of the face by 1.5 to 2" inside to catch any part of the hosel assuming the club is not a baby blade. If you are not setting the club at address with the hosel directly behind the ball then your down swing somewhere is re-routing the club so that the impact point has moved somehow assuming you release the club, leaving the club literally wide open could cause a shank but that again is a swing flaw as well.

People are superstitious about a shank. I had a pure shank in a golf round as a result from a poor swing sequence or poor address position probably a combination of both. My friend that used to be a Class A PGa Professional went 'I don't know what that was', I went 'that was a pure f***ing shank is what that was', he went 'Yea we don't say that word but you are right'. I just had to laugh about it, I forgot about it completely feel back to my basics and started hitting the ball properly.

I really don't see a shank as mental unless you turn it into a 'yip' where it doesn't happen ever in practice but it happens in a round where a shot becomes important and start thinking about the possibility of a bad swing or result. You really can't convince me that a shank is something mental without completely eliminating the possibility of a swing flaw.

On the modern golf club you literally have to miss the center of the face by 1.5 to 2" inside to catch any part of the hosel assuming the club is not a baby blade. If you are not setting the club at address with the hosel directly behind the ball then your down swing somewhere is re-routing the club so that the impact point has moved somehow assuming you release the club, leaving the club literally wide open could cause a shank but that again is a swing flaw as well.

Well sure, when you throw logic into the equation... :P

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

As a 10 handicapper you obviously know how to hit the ball. Quit thinking about how to fix it and start thinking about how to hit it right. Proper set up. And make a good swing. I shanked one this morning. I went over to my ball set up and moved on with life. Pared that hole and birdied the next. Do not know Why I shanked it and do not care. Still lost the match and $32 see gambling thread but played well.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Played this evening......didn't sh#%k it once.....only played 12 holes. Bogied 9 and 3 pars.....which to be fair is pretty sh#t but I'm well happy compared to what I was doing wednesday.....move on I will.....I've been single figures a few years ago so ye I got some game but sometimes I put far too much thought into it......funny when my daughter was born I didn't touch a club for 3 weeks and I was stressing my game would really suffer. I eventually got out to play tired with lack of sleep but not really caring what I scored due to the birth of my lovely new daughter......I couldn't hit a bad shot that day....unbelievable! Was placing the ball were a wanted...shot par and skipped home. Mind games!

Played this evening......didn't sh#%k it once.....only played 12 holes. Bogied 9 and 3 pars.....which to be fair is pretty sh#t but I'm well happy compared to what I was doing wednesday.....move on I will.....I've been single figures a few years ago so ye I got some game but sometimes I put far too much thought into it......funny when my daughter was born I didn't touch a club for 3 weeks and I was stressing my game would really suffer. I eventually got out to play tired with lack of sleep but not really caring what I scored due to the birth of my lovely new daughter......I couldn't hit a bad shot that day....unbelievable! Was placing the ball were a wanted...shot par and skipped home. Mind games!

Well, with results like that, you should keep on playing those mind games --- forever :rolleyes:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well, with results like that, you should keep on playing those mind games --- forever :rolleyes:

I was focusing on leaning a little back on the balls of my feet and squaring the club face at address......tempo.....chill out......and I was ok.....happy!

Archived