Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Used Golf Balls

Flv02

Hey guys,

I have been using used golf balls for over a year now. I currently received a deal on one of my favorite websites, so I decided to get fitted online by Bridgestone and get the e5 (which I will play tomorrow if the weather holds). I have never had a problem with any used balls (I know to stay away from refurbished) , and have recommended them to my uncle. My uncle has doubted these balls ever since I started getting them a year ago. So, I was wondering if you guys had any good experiences with used golf balls? And what ball did you get? I want to show him I am not the only one.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

First off, welcome aboard.

I have been buying Pro V1s off the internet for two years. I have bought several other brands also but Pro V1's, since they are the most played, are also the most plentiful and thus you can get some really good deals if you know when to buy them. But I have found that most places that sell them are honest about it and do not try to cheat you. They are making so much off ot these that they do not need to cheat you. I did get some that were not what they said once. I contacted the seller, he explained there was an error and he fixed it.

As far as playing goes, I will not buy the refurbished, but the others are just fine. What is funny is that some people will not play a ball that has been in the water. I guess they think the ball is some how damaged by being in the water. But they play just fine. I talk to them when I first get them and explain that while it may have been ok for them to jump in the water with their previous owner, that type of behavior will not be tolerated by me. I have no idea if this helps but I is no worse than someone yelling, "Bite! Bite!" to a ball that is flying 10 feet over the flag. :D

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I talk to them when I first get them and explain that while it may have been ok for them to jump in the water with their previous owner, that type of behavior will not be tolerated by me. I have no idea if this helps but I is no worse than someone yelling, "Bite! Bite!" to a ball that is flying 10 feet over the flag. :D

A few years ago my dad started marking his balls by drawing a life jacket on them.............it helped him identify it, it didn't help them float.

As far as used balls, I use them all the time, but I don't play them in tournaments; not that they play any different, I just like shiny new balls for competitive rounds.

First off, thanks for the welcome. There are studies out there that prove that water on a golf ball barely effects the performance of a golf ball. If anything happens, it may lose a little distance, but nothing too significant (research here: My link ) I have never seen any visible signs of effects while playing for the past year. I still want to know everybody else's experience with them because if other people have had different experiences than I have had, I will not recommend them to my uncle. I, on the other hand, will continue to use used golf balls until something bad happens, and then probably just switch the website I use. I'm in college so I need to save as much money as I can haha. So please everyone, share your experiences.

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

I do not know what they actually do to refurbish these balls but I have found some and played them. They do not travel as far or spin as much. Their performance definately is different from a non refurbished ball. As far as the "recycled" ball. This is simply a ball that has been found in some water hazard somewhere. They are then taken and cleaned up and then graded and resold. While the UV rays may have some effect on golf balls over time, water will not affect them. But since they are graded before you buy them you know what you are getting.

We have had guys come to our course and dive in the lakes to get balls. They leave with a pickup load of them. Some have equipment that picks them up off of the bottom and sometimes guys just dive down and get them. A couple of weeks ago, on a Saturday one of the guys in my foursome hit one into the lake on 12. We drove up and a guy came up wearing scuba gear and threw him his ball. It scared the hell out of me at first but turned out to be pretty funny. I asked it that was a true members bounce. But we made him take a stroke. He claimed that the diver was an outside agency.

I assume these guys then sell them in bulk to these resellers and they clean them, seperate them by brand and then grade them. But I promise you that when you drown a Pro V1 it is nice to know you spent a dollar for it instead of almost 5.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I won't play refurbished balls as many of the coatings that places use alter the properties of the ball but otherwise I mostly play used balls. Lostgolfballs.com is a gold mine of a site IMO

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I'll admit it, I'm a fan of used balls. I lose enough that my wife doesn't understand the price tag of new balls.

I've found the resellers to be honest and accurate with their ratings of balls.

If someone says that they won't play a used ball, they likely have plenty of cash backing their game and quite possibly they should be sporting a dozen balls each round as many used balls look newer than any new ball I've played after two holes.

As far as refurbished/refinished balls go, I have a link that explains the difference. It's a quick little read My link Lostgolfballs.com is my preferred website, but I have tried many of the sites, depending on the deals I get. The Bridgestones e5 I just got were from Lostgolfballs.com. You can't beat the deal. I got a $26.99 dozen for a total of $8.50 (that includes shipping). By the way, if anybody needs coupon codes, message me and I have PLENTY of them. I am glad that everyone has had good experiences with them. For the price I believe nothing beats them.

There might have been some reason to avoid used balls back in the days of Balata and wound balls. In simple, balls just did not last as long as these days, regardless that they did last a long time. In a package of used balls, you could find a dead ball often enough to know they truly existed. Another problem was balls that were deformed from having been hit hard into a stone wall, but not deformed enough to be visible from a simple look. Some of them simply had a very small bump but the ones that simply lost their center could only be found by the manner in which the ball flew. Suffice it to say that if I could have afforded avoiding second hand balls entirely back then, I would have.

Since the time of Surlyn, about the only real reason to discard a used ball seems to be that it has discolored considerably and would be harder to find, or the cover has been eaten extensively by the aggressive grooves of so many wedges. Balls have improved much in durability and the need for new balls is fairly well reduced.

Shambles

Yeah I accidentally picked up a refinished ball about a year ago and the paint started to chip and my distance was dramatically shortened. I played with my newest set of used balls today (the Bridgestones) and had a lot of success as expected. By the way, that online Bridgestone fitting actually worked, just as wd saw in the tests he's been doing.

Have to second (third, fourth, whatever) what's been said about refinished balls. Whatever is done to them has a definite effect. High grade used balls are great, especially for the price. Too bad no one will offer a non-logo balls only option. They could charge slightly more for the sorting time.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I'm another fan of lakeballs.

Nothing beats buying 1 hit wonders for half the price :D

I still lose plenty of balls and the loss of distance/spin (if there is any) doesn't really affect my level of skill :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm actually surprised that so many of you guys use used balls too. Whenever I would tell people I would golf with, they would look at me weird. I already said that i purchase from LostGolfBalls.com and other guys have posted their websites. What websites does everyone else use?

When normally playing with friends in non comp rounds I play used pro v1s. Being in a tourist area we have every old timer on the beach hawking them. I have a guy i have known for years at the flea market that I buy from. I do get hand pickes grade a balls from him. He will pick me a couple dozen or so and give me a call. If I am playing serious competition I do use new balls but I have not played any serious competition for a couple of years now

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Being that the golf ball is the absolute most important piece of equipment you will use while golfing - i am of the opinion it is the LAST thing you should go cheap on. Theres nothing like taking a brand new ball out of the sleeve, putting a lil sharpie mark on it, teeing it up, and hitting the crap out of it right into a pond haha I know golf balls are made to be lost, but I would NEVER purchase used golf balls.

I'm actually surprised that so many of you guys use used balls too. Whenever I would tell people I would golf with, they would look at me weird. I already said that i purchase from LostGolfBalls.com and other guys have posted their websites. What websites does everyone else use?

Lost golf balls for me as well mate. Great selection, good prices and more importantly for me, they actually know where Canada is and how to ship there heh.

I use to get funny looks from my friends too until they saw the condition of them and the price that I got them for. Now we do 2 or 3 big orders a year for 4 to 10 people.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I use lostgolfballs all the time. Balls look new and perform new as well. I use e5 or e6 depending on where I play. Any body see the hot list for balls in Gold digest about distance, launch and spin. Good review. http://hotlist.golfdigest.com/content/hotlist/balls/balls-all.php

Taylormade Stage 2 10.5 SK Fiber Helium shaft

taylormade superfast 2.0 3 wood Graphite Design shaft

superfast 2.0 5 wood Aldila NVS shaft

Adams Idea Tech V4 hybrid 4-GW Bassara shaft

Snakeyes forged 52,56,60 wedges Apollo Hump shaft

Odyssey #7 Metal X putter

Bagboy revolver pro bag

Since people have been messaging me a lot for the coupon codes, I am just going to post it. Until April 30th, you can type in FIVEGIFT and get $5 off your next purchase. If you pick the USPS Priority Flat Rate Shipping it basically gives you free shipping. I hope you guys enjoy!

I still play an old Nike ball they haven't made in years, so I almost have no choice but to play used balls. Still, I have no problem with them and will continue to use them until there are no more used ones left!

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I use lostgolfballs all the time. Balls look new and perform new as well. I use e5 or e6 depending on where I play. Any body see the hot list for balls in Gold digest about distance, launch and spin. Good review. http://hotlist.golfdigest.com/content/hotlist/balls/balls-all.php

I have a lifelong friend of mine that plays what he finds he has alwayd done that and at one time he was a 2 hdcp. He has gotten new balls at Christmas and I have seen them get yellowed and old sitting on a closet shelf Two years ago he gave me a dozen Maxfli H-T 90 balatas that had been in his closet for 20 years They are yellowed but fun to spin on the par 3 course I practice at sometimes. When I play with him always what number and brand of OP (other People's) ball are you playing today??

I apoligise for the typos I have been wrenching on an old wrecker today and my fingers are locking up

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived