Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Edel SMS and SMS Pro Irons - 2023 Forum Review

3 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Inconsistent across the set in fact, but all standard loft or even a little weak in some cases.

Still a big fan, just the first real negative I’ve experienced, and can’t say that’s unique to Edel versus any other OEM. Perhaps just a good lesson to have your lofts and lies checked.

That’s an interesting side bar for sure.  I’ve read where it is good practice to have the lie & loft rechecked every so often - especially if you play pretty often.  Quick question - was the loft off enough on your irons, that maybe you left some distance gains on the table?  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

• 3 weeks later...

More to follow on this one, but started the season with the Edel’s yesterday.  I’ve had them reshafted and loft/lie checked, and while there are other factors at play, I was about a club longer than last season.  Very excited to game these and get more out of them this year!

364ACDB9-94B0-40B8-ADC7-5C5A2D237E1A.jpeg

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

More to follow on this one, but started the season with the Edel’s yesterday.  I’ve had them reshafted and loft/lie checked, and while there are other factors at play, I was about a club longer than last season.  Very excited to game these and get more out of them this year!

364ACDB9-94B0-40B8-ADC7-5C5A2D237E1A.jpeg

Thats awesome news and can't wait to hear more. I was hoping to get out there very soon but 20 inches of snow put a slow down in there. But a bit south got less so hopefully they open back up soon and I can get back to it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Accra TZi’s.  No loft added, just had them checked to make sure they were all in spec and a couple of them weren’t.  
Some of the gains are likely due to just better overall health and fitness, but the shafts are definitely a factor.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Accra TZi’s.  No loft added, just had them checked to make sure they were all in spec and a couple of them weren’t.  
Some of the gains are likely due to just better overall health and fitness, but the shafts are definitely a factor.

Did you do a fitting for those or were they just something you're trying? I don't know much about Accra's and am curious.

I'm still waiting for my 7 iron tester with Steelfiber i95's.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

9 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Did you do a fitting for those or were they just something you're trying? I don't know much about Accra's and am curious.

I did do a fitting.  I actually had Steelfiber i95s in the Edel’s last year but I hit them really high with an ungodly amount of spin…I was peeling 8-irons back and off greens. 
The Accra’s brought height and spin down, and my smash factor really climbed…more ball speed and more distance. They’re a $100 a shaft though and I had them pured for the hell of it too.  Hey, I don’t really have any other hobbies…

Seems like some pictures are in order.  I’ll try to do that soon.

On 3/25/2024 at 2:47 PM, Shrek74 said:

Did you order yours in the recent get a 7i for $50 promo?  I remember seeing the email, but since I already have a 7i w/KBS 95 Rflex, figured I don’t need two 7 irons.  Will be interested to see how the Steelfiber shaft does…my test 7i will have its maiden trip in the men’s captain’s choice scramble this afternoon…report to follow.

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

5 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Did you order yours in the recent get a 7i for $50 promo?  I remember seeing the email, but since I already have a 7i w/KBS 95 Rflex, figured I don’t need two 7 irons.  Will be interested to see how the Steelfiber shaft does…my test 7i will have its maiden trip in the men’s captain’s choice scramble this afternoon…report to follow.

Yes, the most recent one. I'm curious about both the shaft an Edel irons. So this will be an interesting test.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

Edel SMS 7i update - This has turned into a long term test as Edel has offered let us test thru the season.  Played the church men’s 9 hole best ball today with the 7i in the bag.  Short pitches to full swings - the club delivered.  Weight setup is 2-4-6 (heel to toe)…the club feels natural and the shot shaping capability is almost 2nd nature.  This has only made me want to see an entire set of irons in the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Edel SMS 7i update: I've sent the stock loft/lie test 7i back to Edel....but it is not as you think, they had sent an email to see how it was going with the long term test.  I told them I wanted to get with them about adjusting the lie to 1* flat and shortening its length by 1/2" (to better match my INDI wedge fitting and it follows the "static" online fitting guides of both Ping and Sub70).  They said if I would pay the postage there, they would bend it, trim and regrip with a new Tour Velvet "midsize" grip (I told them I was planning to change the grip)) and send it back at no-charge.  I am really liking working with the crew.  So how has it performed up till now - really well.  As I noted earlier in my posts, it is almost point and play, I rarely have a huge miss.  Now it does tell you if you mishit, but also when struck well its buttery smooth.  Looking forward to the revised model getting back here and seeing how life is after the revised lie and trim to fit.  

My new SMS 7 iron should arrive tomorrow. I'm excited to give it a go, not only for the iron itself, but also the Steelfiber i95 shaft. As I look to replace my steel shafts with graphite, these are high on the list. So this will be a double test for me this summer.

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

My new SMS 7 iron should arrive tomorrow. I'm excited to give it a go, not only for the iron itself, but also the Steelfiber i95 shaft. As I look to replace my steel shafts with graphite, these are high on the list. So this will be a double test for me this summer.

That is the shaft I went with and have really enjoyed. Looking forward to see what you think.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

3 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

That is the shaft I went with and have really enjoyed. Looking forward to see what you think.

Still toying with the idea of transitioning to steel fibers in my FTs - curious to see how it works out with the Edel as well!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

19 Apr update - Today was the first round with the SMS 7i back in action as I had sent it back to Edel to have them bend it 1deg flat and shorten by 1/2" and refit to a GP Tour Velvet midsize grip.  The wonderful part of this was that Edel did it for the cost of me shipping the club to them.  The verdict - the adjustments of the club made it go from a good fit to a really good fit.  Distance control and accuracy continues to be almost automatic.  Also this club just sounds sweet, as one of my playing partners said on the approach on 1 (our 10th as we started on the back) - "that was a rifle shot!".  Really digging this update - now a couple of more rounds and if all holds well, I will be talking to Edel about rounding out a full set of irons to go with this club as this is a single iron test.  

25 Apr update- today was a focus on the Edel 7i day. From long approaches to shorter bump and runs - worked the iron to really get a stronger feel.  The club did not fail and showed its stuff especially on 13 (a par 5).  Driver off the tee had me about 275 out.  As I typically hit a solid 7 somewhere in the 140 range, I figured 7 - 7 and it would be at worst an up and down for par, at best birdie.  The iron did not fail as I nailed the third to 7’ left/pin high - the only birdie of the day.  Good fun with this club as it was solid in all the scenarios it was is in today…