Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sub-460cc drivers: which do you like?

Moecat

• SPY VIP

The Nike VR Limited is a really good one. One of our testers plays a ghosted TaylorMade R510.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'm a pretty big fan of 440cc to 450cc honestly no preference really one way or another. once it gets down to 425cc that is a touch small for my liking.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I finally got to hit the 380 CC Yonex. It was awesome. The side spin seemed really reduced and the feel was really muted. I not sure if the max distance was all there, but I definitely see why people would enjoy that head. With that said I still love my Titty 910 D3 the best.

I spy with my little eye something...

I've got one of those Nike CC forged driver heads from I haven't a clue when kicking about. I picked it up last year for $30 out of one of those used stores on a whim. Other then the horrific sound, I actually really like it. I'm tempted to yank it's current shaft and stuff it full of cotton or something to tone it down.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I think that a lot of tour pros and better players tend to like the looks of a slightly more compact head plus they are probably just a hair more workable. For example TM r11s V2 (Tour Model) is 440cc, TM R11 Dot I think is 420cc (can't recall now) but the point is I think 430-450cc is good in a players driver the high handicaps still like bigger as it probably gives more confidence to hit it anywhere on the face and not miss the ball completely.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I've liked the R11 DOT and Yonex Ezone 380 recently.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

the original R11 still works for me. spins a couple hundred Revs less than the R11s for me. and i love how hot it feels off the face unlike anything else ive hit

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I had a Diablo Edge Tour that was about 450 cc if I remember correctly, it was a shade open and worked wonderfully for me for a couple years. Just traded it in this year for a RBZ at the full 460, love the RBZ and hitting it beautifully but miss the smaller profile of the tour head. Granted I think the white are the RBZ just makes it look that much larger. Then again there's a maple Ping Karsten one that is in the corner and smaller than my current 3 wood and I wouldn't keep it around if it still couldn't get the job done. It's still my backup driver in case anything should happen.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

No matter what the size of the driver, I like to smaller driver head designs. I feel more comfortable that way, and I focus on making a solid contact. As club head gets bigger and bigger, it just does not feel natural.

I don't think smaller driver head size is shorter off the tee compared to the 460cc head, you just have to make a solid contact. It is combination of both the driver head and the shaft will dictate the distance off the tee, not the just size of the 460cc head.

I thought bigger is always better (and still my family members do), but more I learn about the equipment, I just don't think it is the case at all. Shaft flex, length, swing speed, etc...so many variables goes into the club, just bigger head isn't the solution at all.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

I am gaming a Tour Edge CB3, 430cc. My back up is a Mizuno MP-001, 400cc. Both are great for driving distance but the MP-001 is a little more forgiving for me. I prefer smaller cc's. I am looking at a KZG SP700, 400 cc, for the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a Ping TISI driver with a Bi-Matrix shaft that I used to crush back in the day. But, 323cc is pretty small by today's standards. Hell, there are probably 3-woods on the market larger than that now. :rolleyes:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived