Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What benefits do you find of joining a golf club?

Another, what I think is pretty fun, is my friend sent me pictures of a pig roast that was put on by his club. The club runs along the river and they had put up tables with linen table cloths and all the finery right along the river. It was a beautiful summer evening and there was a bar set up etc. The pictures looked fantastic and the environment looked very fun. 

I am sure there are some great events and benefits to many many member clubs, we just don't know about them.

committed to performance excellence

@Jim Shaw If costs are the primary concern, joining a private country club does not make fiscal sense.  I enjoyed the private club life, but the initiation, range, locker, mill river fees, capital assessments, event and league fees, food minimums, and the monthly club dues for FULL members add up.  The members are solid people and fun to hang out with on and off the course.  Handicaps vary, and enjoy the course equally.  Member/Member Calcutta is traditionally the best competitive event at the club, but other events meet everyone's competitive spirit.  My favorite perk was asking my club pro to contact other private courses to play when I traveled!

A long-standing member tells prospective members that if they can comfortably budget $25-30K annually for a country club, they can join and have fun.  The private clubs are wonderful social communities where you can gain friendships and a lifetime of memories.  Golfing at a private club will make you a better golfer, and your handicap will carry you consistently to other courses. 

Local golf course season memberships are a good option if you are only interested in golf.  The better public courses offer a competitive league and events, and police sandbaggers are the ones to join.  I hear too many horror stories about local public leagues and golfers complaining about 'other' golfers handicaps and 'local rules' modifications.

If cost is not an issue and you enjoy the club, course, facility, and members, then do it.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

sounds like a great deal. 
when I got out of the Marines my first job in 95 was at RJ Reynolds in Winston-Salem. I liked the town and it seemed like a great place to raise a family but I was 22 and needed more night life so moved to Atlanta.

Totally understand that! We moved here after I switched careers from engineering to law and finished law school. At that time we already had our two kiddos (one is now in college). It is a good place to raise a family. 

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

my buddy who is an accountant and a member of the fancy-shmancy club in town is not a good golfer but he maximizes the social aspect. he has a regular weekly game at his course with a friend and in turn that friend who is a member at another private course has him over on another day of the week. he might do the same thing with someone else too.. I forget. but he plays the same courses all the time and I've invited him to play outside of his regular course and he's never taken me up on it.

plus the fact that you have to pay additional for every member-guest, club tournament, etc. is just too much to ask...

Our member-guest and other tournaments do have fees associated. Not really an issue for me at this time as I am just playing for myself and trying to improve my game

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

For me it's the sunk cost factor.  I feel that I am more likely to go and play at least a few holes if "it's already paid for"  so I feel as though I actually will make time to play more.  I previously belonged to a local course that had a 5 hole loop back to the clubhouse, a nine hole loop and a 12 hole loop.  Played alot of "mini" rounds.  Of course, I'm not a range rat and like to get my practice in on course.

I joined a private club 16 years ago and never regret it.  Yes it is a little expensive, but if you’re playing courses for say $50-$100 it really isn’t that expensive.  The key is finding the right mix of people, they are what really make a club.

I was asked by a member to play with him and a group of guys about 20 in all.  Besides being a great course and I played pretty well, the real selling point was their was no pretense of who you were, after the round we went up to the Members Bar and every single guy in the group came up to me shook my hand and said they hoped I would join the club. What a great welcome. It didn’t take long and I started playin in 3 different groups Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

There is a range with a short game practice area, 2 swimming pools, a great gym, and the clubhouse.  All add value to my experience.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

On 7/10/2023 at 11:23 AM, Hobert said:

I totally understand your first point. 

With respect to feeling comfortable at private courses, there is a fairly broad spectrum (e.g. initiation fees from $1k to $40k+). As a member of one on the lower end of that scale, our club has members from all walks of life and, at least in my experience, everyone is welcomed. Members who don't want to socialize can easily keep to themselves and just use the facilities to play/practice. 

I'm gonna parrot this point. My club is is definitely on the cheap side but also has people from all walks of life. The dress code is pretty lax, good mix of all ages. Good group of young guys around my age. It definitely doesn't feel private like some of the clubs i've been to, and i like that about it. 

Lefty Gang

Cally Mavrik 10.5 - Rogue White 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed 5w at 16* - Motore F1 7x

Srixon ZU85 3i - Tensei Blue 80tx

Srixon Z785 4-PW - DG X100

Cally Jaws MD5 Raw 52*

MD3 56* & 60

Scotty Phantom X5.5

I joined because it's a major factor for why we moved here. Two private, one semi private course. Golf rounds average $20 a round based upon 4 rounds per week. Free range balls. 8 day advance tee time booking. No trail fees. My own cart. Can walk if desired (long haul from house to proshop re: a mile or so)

I can go and play off site if I choose also, but why? Our courses are well maintained, difficult quality greens, play well-score well.
Monday and friday 9:00 shotgun start with our groups. Organized individual and group events.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’m a midwestern kid who grew up caddying at Oakland Hills and Meadowbrook CC in Michigan.  Oakland was very expensive to join even in the mid 60s.  Meadowbrook was less than $1K and Oakland Hills was $15K back when I began working there in 1966.  I didn’t find the membership to be any different at either club.  I spent most of my time at MCC because it was easier for me to get there, but members were just as gracious at both clubs.  Both are now over $100K to join and you can only play 7 months or so, have 12 monthly food minimums and potential assessments.  But both have waiting lists to get in.  

I played munis until I got to Texas in 1994.  We moved to a planned golf course community that has an 18 hole Dye course and 27 holes by Arthur Hills.  Not all residents were members of the clubs as it was not required to live there.  I belonged there for 14 years.  I spent a year as a dual member as they are separate clubs.  The Dye course is one of the highest rated and sloped courses in Tx at 76.2 and 148.  Some Dye members acted like those who played the Hills courses were 2nd class citizens even if they were next door neighbors.

I’ve been a member of 4 private clubs since I’ve lived in Texas.  I joined my current club in 2019.  It is not a residential club but a standalone facility without housing as part of the development. The benefits of private clubs are many but there are also some downsides.

Benefits include regular groups, long term relationships, consistent conditions, membership invested (in ways beyond the financial) in the betterment of the club, available tee times, caps on membership count, input to club operations and upkeep, familiarity with staff and consistent service levels, lockers, Known costs for dues and food, equity. Giant Calcuttas if you are into that type of thing for member/guest tournaments.  Practice facilities and instruction are generally much better than public facilities.

Downsides include high entry fees, annual dues increases, food and bev minimums, potential assessments,  board governance can be problematic, cliques, loss of equity in economic downturns and potential funding of things you might not otherwise support. Some charge high entry fees and do not provide equity.  

For me and my family, private club participation has been a positive for nearly 30 years.  Is it all roses, no.  As a retiree since 2017, having a weekday group and a weekend group give me an experience I don’t think I can match at public courses. I know when and where I am playing every time I go to the course.  I know I am getting a quality experience each day.  

Private clubs also offer different exposures.  My girls (now 37 and 40) were able to play on high school teams with a girl who made it to the LPGA and won the Women’s US Open.  They were high school friends with another who played on 4 Ryder Cup teams.  Todd Hamilton who won the Open was my neighbor on the other side of the fairway we lived on. At that same course, we had a brother and sister who won the US Amateur and both turned pro.  Their older brother lost to Tiger in the finals when Tiger won his first US Jr. Am.  My current club is home to 4 tour pros.  We didn’t look to find clubs that had these people as members it just happened that way, but my kids benefitted from those relationships.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

When my wife and I lived in Upstate NY, many of our friends were associated with one of our jobs.  As a result, conversations typically trended towards work related topics.   So, we decided to join a private country club so we could meet new people and not have talk about work!  I caught an initiation deal and got active playing in Friday night scotch tournaments and playing in special events (like night golf).   I played every weekend and a several times a month we'd eat at the club's restaurant to help meet our minimum.  After about four years we sat down to review our country club experience, and both realized that the course's members were not the kind of people we ultimately wanted to meet and get to know, so we resigned.  As much as the course and other facilities are important, so is the other members and staff you ultimately would have to deal with.

Here in Key West, the answer was easy.  With only one 18 hole golf course within about 150 miles, I join our local club to keep the overall cost per round at a reasonable amount.  Amortizing the annual membership fee over 140+ rounds of golf a year, I actually pay more in cart fees (as we can't walk 18 holes) than I do per round of golf.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I believe each golfer's situation is different depending on many factors. I joined my first club in 1994, it was a mid-level club with a really nice golf course and average amenities. No initiation fee was required. I had the pleasure of playing a lot of golf, making some great friendships during the 10 years I was a member at this club. Prior to me leaving this club, a new golf course was built about 10-12 miles away and they were beginning to sell real estate on the course. Club #2 required a 15K initiation fee, so I met with the club manager and asked a lot of questions prior to joining. (He stretched the truth a little).  It was a semi-private club, but was told it would become private within 5 years. I joined club #2, purchased a golf lot and built a very nice home. I missed the guys that I played with at my previous club, but found compatible golfers that I enjoyed playing with. One of the issues I had was all the outside tournaments they were having at the club to generate revenue. The new club was growing very fast during the first 8 years, but the economy started to slow down. Due to outside play and tournaments I grew more and more frustrated over the next few years. I started hearing rumblings of financial issues. so I dropped my membership down to a social membership so I could get 50% of my initiation fee back. After a few months, listed our house, moved and dropped my membership. (Never received the other 50% initiation fee)  I started playing golf within a 25 mile radius at about 4 different courses. It was just golf and you never knew what type golfers you would get paired up with. Between the drive time and 5 hour rounds, my total golfing rounds decreased around 40%. Continued this for around 5 years, but it never was the same as being a member of a club. Around 4 years ago, I went back and joined the original club that I was a member of. No initiation fee, can walk anytime I like at no cost. It is a private club with a nice golf course, not what it was years ago but I am playing 4 days a week.

If a person has the financial ability and loves golf, I would suggest they join a club. Keep in mind, most clubs will tell you anything to get your commitment.

Additionally, I know different parts of the country have excellent municipal courses so each person has options that I did not have.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 7/11/2023 at 11:53 AM, Bob Jerabek said:

I joined a private club 16 years ago and never regret it.  Yes it is a little expensive, but if you’re playing courses for say $50-$100 it really isn’t that expensive.  The key is finding the right mix of people, they are what really make a club.

I was asked by a member to play with him and a group of guys about 20 in all.  Besides being a great course and I played pretty well, the real selling point was their was no pretense of who you were, after the round we went up to the Members Bar and every single guy in the group came up to me shook my hand and said they hoped I would join the club. What a great welcome. It didn’t take long and I started playin in 3 different groups Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

There is a range with a short game practice area, 2 swimming pools, a great gym, and the clubhouse.  All add value to my experience.

I highlighted that point, because here in Dallas / Fort Worth, public golf is both harder to come by for under $50 a person on the weekend after the pandemic and takes 5+ on a weekend.  Who has that kind of time?  My wife and son would never join me for a round if that were the case, especially when it's 90+ degrees outside for what seems like half the year.  On the other hand, if you can handle that heat (and the 100+ we have going right now), you can basically play year-round at our club's 2 courses.  There are good and bad points to both member equity clubs and corporate-owned clubs, but ours is run by Invited Corp.  The facilities are not necessarily as nice as my parents' club back home, but then again, we don't have any $2,500 a year assessments (that are going to be repeated again this year due to damage from a nasty storm).  We have 2 courses, and even on busy days, rounds of 18 holes take less than 3 1/2 hours.  We can walk or ride, as the $600 or so monthly fee for all 3 of us (our older son doesn't play golf) includes unlimited golf and cart, practice range, putting green, and chipping area usage.  Even with working full-time and officiating ice hockey on the side, I've gotten in 13 full rounds and probably 6-8 rounds of 9 holes since the end of May alone, and that's with the nasty hot weather we've had here in the Dallas area too.  I rolled up after work Tuesday, warmed up for about 10-15 minutes, walked into the pro shop, checked in, and was on the course for a quick 9 less than 30 minutes after leaving the house.  If I knew I was going to have to pay extra for that 9 holes to a muni or public course, and probably not even get in the full 9 holes because of the awful pace of play, I'd never have gone out in 100+ degree heat to play golf.  

Edited by ctg44
  • Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

I don't know for me some of it is cost, but  the other big factor is boredom.  I enjoy playing different courses.  Yes we repeat some during the summer, but I believe playing the same course over and over, and over, would take much of the fun out of the game.

I understand, maybe we are in fact spoiled here in extreme Northeast Ohio, but within a 30 minute drive of my house there are, 14 public golf courses.  Two or 3 I would say are below average, maintenance/challenge of layout,  3 are average, 4 are above average to very good, and 3 are excellent(Manakiki, Madison, Fowlers Mill,).  Last 3 years played 141 rounds at a cost of $3,824 or $27.12 a round.

I guess if you are some place warm, and are going to get in 5 rounds a week for 52 weeks 260 rounds a year, then a $5000 or less membership would place the cost per round at $19.40 or lower.  Adjusting # of rounds played, and cost of membership up or down, for the golf aspect of it, cost effectiveness, seems like it may be tough to keep cost per round under $30 depending on how many rounds one is actually going to play in a year.  Now I guess as others have said, the social aspect, and other things, may make the cost of a club membership well worth it.  

For me the idea of playing the same holes 40, 50, 100 times in a year, is a deal breaker.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, Stuka44 said:

I don't know for me some of it is cost, but  the other big factor is boredom.  I enjoy playing different courses.  Yes we repeat some during the summer, but I believe playing the same course over and over, and over, would take much of the fun out of the game.

I understand, maybe we are in fact spoiled here in extreme Northeast Ohio, but within a 30 minute drive of my house there are, 14 public golf courses.  Two or 3 I would say are below average, maintenance/challenge of layout,  3 are average, 4 are above average to very good, and 3 are excellent(Manakiki, Madison, Fowlers Mill,).  Last 3 years played 141 rounds at a cost of $3,824 or $27.12 a round.

I guess if you are some place warm, and are going to get in 5 rounds a week for 52 weeks 260 rounds a year, then a $5000 or less membership would place the cost per round at $19.40 or lower.  Adjusting # of rounds played, and cost of membership up or down, for the golf aspect of it, cost effectiveness, seems like it may be tough to keep cost per round under $30 depending on how many rounds one is actually going to play in a year.  Now I guess as others have said, the social aspect, and other things, may make the cost of a club membership well worth it.  

For me the idea of playing the same holes 40, 50, 100 times in a year, is a deal breaker.

I love playing other courses, but there is something about being able to bring the things you have been practicing and working on to a course you know well.  I like having a baseline that I can judge progress against.  I also still enjoy getting out for a round somewhere other than the club I'm at.

That being said, the other nice thing is that I can go to lunch, grab my bag and get a quick 20 minutes in at the range, practice greens, or a quick 9 then get back to work in less than an hour (maybe 2 if I'm doing 9).  Plus, knowing that the course and practice facilities are going to be in great shape every time I go out is great.

I really had to detach myself from the thought that joining a club was a "good" financial decision.  I would have to play 3-4 times a week to see positive ROI and that just isn't feasible for me for a big part of the year.  But the convenience of having my clubs there and being able to drop in with no plan or tee time means I play much more often than I otherwise would be able to.

Being able to bring my wife to play 18, have lunch, then hang out at the pool until we do dinner is also a major plus.

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

On 7/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, Jim Shaw said:

I am wondering, what were the reasons you have joined or not joined a golf club. 

We moved to a home on the golf course in December, and I was not initially planning on purchasing a membership right away. My wife surprised me with one as a gift last fall, as there was a new member drive and the rate was before the new season increase and included the remainder of the 2022 season (got about 15 rounds in last fall). While it is expensive (approx $2000 for a single, full membership) there are benefits to having one for us.

1. My Tuesday night league fee is included with my membership fee ($480).

2. 4 member events are included in the membership fee. While I've only been able to play in one, the fee for the invite was $275. 

3. Unlimited range access (I would otherwise be spending $30-50 a week with how I've been using the range this year)

4. The convenience of just being able to book a tee time without having to pay when I get to the course. This is personal preference, but a benefit to me.

5. 10% of Food & Beverage in the clubhouse goes towards the next year's dues.

6. My boys will be able to play for free until they turn 13

7. Eight greens fee plus cart guest passes that my wife uses as she only likes to play occasionally

When everything is factored into the cost, you don't have to feel like you need to try and play 75-100 rounds to get "your money's worth." I've really enjoyed the membership aspect and plan to continue as a member here on. I should also mention that this is not a private country club, so there was no initiation fee, no food and beverage minimums, etc. 

I do enjoy playing other courses and will still a few times this year, but in my area, our course has some of the best conditions around. The courses in Wisconsin Dells (tourist destination) are SUPER expensive for tee times, and you deal with drunk, obnoxious tourists pretty much every time you play. They also are not in any better shape, and typically get quite beat up. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

On 7/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, Stuka44 said:

With the benefit of that many public courses so close, and with what seems like extremely reasonable rates, I don't blame you at all for not picking up a membership somewhere. In my area of Wisconsin, the cheapest rate you'll find for 18 w/cart is around $55-65, and that is at a less than stellar maintained course. The rest that are well kept are $79 - 189 for 18 w/cart. Without cart it's maybe $15 less.

I can also see how repeating the same holes over and over again would be deterring for some, but I've found this year that although the course layout doesn't change, I'm playing different types of shots almost every round on each hole. Maybe that is because I'm a higher index player, but it hasn't gotten boring at all. This is just my point of view, though!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

The Benefits of joining a club, I like the preferred tee times and the ability to be the first group off and getting done early.  There's a feeling of being welcomed being a member and walking into the clubhouse. 

As for getting board playing the same course, personally I don't get board. To break the boredom, so to speak, I'll play from different tees a couple of times a week.  If by myself, I'll play different tees during the round, which gives ability to work on different parts of my game. As @Jnoble89 wrote above, even though the layout doesn't change, you're playing different shots. 

There will be times I'll go out and play different public courses with golf buddies, that does break it up.  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I joined a local Semi Private course in the area last year. For me it was a cheaper option for practice since for my membership fee I get unlimited range balls. The course is also going through a transition period as well since they have a new owner and he is trying to bring the course back to it's original glory. The previous owner only cared about getting rounds and didn't put anything back into the course or keep up with needed maintenance. So it's in rough shape, but it's cheap compared to the other courses in the area. We have a good group of guys who play in all the events and leagues. It's also a perfect club for my kids (9 and 6) to get introduced to the game. They enjoy playing and even attended a golf camp at the club this summer. 

Another benefit is that it's a very easy course to walk and walking is included in the membership. So when it's not crazy hot down here it's a great way to get out and walk 9. 

For me it's a perfect value since I am still working and not playing 3-5 times a week yet. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

I have belonged to various clubs in my life,. First time at age 24 and still at age 76. 

My reasons are:

• Love the social aspect
  • Practice all I want anytime I want (Range plus chipping, putting, bunker)
  • Become part of Men's Golf Association or Senior Men's Golf Association and play competitive rounds on play day with those groups.
  • Develop friendships and group(s) to play with on non-play days with associations
  • Convenient to my home (last 4 clubs I have lived in club community)
  • Can own my own golf cart
  • Nice dining area with great food
  • Great 19th hole 
  • Staff knows me by name
  • Most members know me by name
  • Challenging layout
  • Rounds generally less than 4 hours
  • Not super hard to get tee times when I want
  • Without a tee time, just show up and get out with a group easily in very little time
  • Seldom if ever over crowded
  • Before I retired, I could jump in my cart, go play 9 holes, go home shower and then show up at my office.  

All that said, if it comes down to dollars and cents, you need to play enough golf to justify the cost.  Here in my part of Texas we can play almost year round.  If I were in a different financial situation, I would have to pay way more attention to the cost.  

All this said, I still play in 2 different traveling tournament leagues and play 1 or 2 rounds each week elsewhere than my club.  

Edited by RickK

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

I joined because the cost was decent and it allowed me more freedom when playing. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Dont think I could not be part of a club.  Ability to play whenever I want even if after work I just want to carry for 9 holes and practice my game.  Nice driving range, chipping area, bunkers.   It’s nice.  Meeting new friends.  Networking for work.  Playing rounds with my club pro, on course learning,, trying new things.  Have a nice place after round to shower, have a nice meal, relax.   Fun tournaments.  I love many of the muni courses near my home and still occasionally get out to play.  I think the biggest reason I joined a club was time.  My time.   I got tired of trying to book tee times at various courses,  Driving here, driving there.  It became an all day affair for me.   My club is literally in my backyard so for me personally its time.  Being able to take clients, family, friends who are not members for rounds.   It’s good.  

If I lived close to a club and one that I would like to join, I probably would. I read some posters live down the street or around the corner from some nice clubs and can get there any time to play or practice. That would be great! Now retired, I would have the time and if the fees and due were "reasonable" I would for sure. I currently have to travel 25 - 35 minutes to play decent public courses. At that point there are 20 courses to choose from. 

On the other hand, I currently belong to a touring club that plays weekly events at various clubs, semi-private and public. The benefit of that is the variety of courses to play. We have a number of members who dropped their private club membership because they weren't getting their money's worth out of their membership at the private club. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, Jim Shaw said:

I am wondering, what were the reasons you have joined or not joined a golf club. 

I joined a club that has 72 holes(more if you upgrade), two 18 hole courses at one venue, two at another. As for price, I pay roughly $3-$400 a month depending. Around here you will not find many courses under $50, so I will use that as my baseline. I play 3 days a week, that is $600 at a public course, I pay less at my private club and can play as much as I want. Unlimited practice area and range.

Joining a club was a no brainer for me.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSR 3

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSR 3

5 Wood:titelist-small: TSR 3

4-PW:  :titelist-small: T100s Blackout

Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SW, GW

Putter:  :titelist-small: Scotty Newport 2.5 

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X

Bag:  :titelist-small: Cart 14

I've been a member of a club since the mid-1990s.  The easy answer for joining is all of the friends I have made at these clubs who love golf as much as I do.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree Fubuki stiff shaft. 

XXIO 3 wood 

XXIO 20 degree 4 hybrid

XXIO 23 degree 5 hybrid

PXG 0211 DC 6 thru GW MMT stiff shafts

PXG 0211 DC 54 degree sand wedge MMT shaft

Taylormade Hi-toe MG 60. 

Putter:  Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour lined.

I joined a club because the membership is reasonable ($1200/yr. single) and it's unlimited golf with a cart.  I play over 100 rounds a year and if you figure about $50/18 holes I'm saving a bunch.  Then the owner of our course has bought 3 other courses and I can play those for nothing being a member here.  Yeah, I like to see other courses but ours is one of the better ones around and there are other percs like 10% off on clubs, balls etc.  And his prices on those are as good as you can find online.  And all the friends you make and golf with is what it's all about.

Edited by warbirdlover

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

I have not joined a private club.  In my immediate area there is a choice of exactly one private club.  When I was first asked by friends to join it, I found the initiation fee, annual dues, monthly food/drink minimum, and unpredictable annual assessments just too steep for my budget. 

For the past few years I have opted for  membership at a public course which includes free range balls, bowling in the off-season, and no additional fees.  Last year a second golf course was added to the membership (courses are about 15 miles apart and distinctly different in feel/style). 

True, weekends can be hectic (especially Saturdays) and rounds a bit slow (4+ hours) but as a retiree I get plenty of opportunity during the work week to walk and play at off-times for significantly less than the local private course.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

1. Having groups of your friends to play with. 
2. Tournaments 

3. Unlimited driving range balls to improve your game.

4. Social events. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

1. It’s close to my house, has great practice facilities and a great staff. The ease of popping in last minute to squeeze in a round or a range session is unbeatable. And my club does not charge extra for family members to golf. My wife loves golf as much as I do so 1 flat price is awesome. 
2. Several great professionals on staff for lessons. 
3. Numerous social events for the entire family. 
4. Great amenities that includes a gym, 2 restaurants/bars, and a pool that has its own.m bar and grill.

5. The ability to get my kids into golf. Numerous kids programs and even a professional on staff that specializes in kids/beginners instruction.

Kaboom baby!

Ease of access. Familiarity with staff, people, and course. I play several rounds at various courses so it's not the same-ole same-ole.  I've become friends with some terrific guys. We play regularly and make games such as "Red-White-Blue.  Sometimes the tips as well. DOTS.  Different tee boxes.  You'd be surprized how it changes the course. COST.  Playing 60-80 rounds plus 2 leagues per year. Convenience. Maybe 9 holes today. Mostly 18 holes. I find I'm playing Sept and Oct almost free. That said, this is a semi private club with no monthly fees or dues so we don't have that burden. Otherwise, if you meant "Country Clubs" Highly doubtful I'd join. Those are 95% status symbols and hardly worth the money.

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

All are valid points for reasons to join, as well as the expense is an easy reason to avoid joining private. I am not a member anywhere but, have been considering joining my local private CC because of the social aspect and the group games. 

My local muni has had a wait list for their men’s league for over a year, and doesn’t seem to be opening up any time soon. 

The ability to get into a men’s league with the private course, as well as compete in the member guest, and club championships are all appealing. Simply something the muni’s don’t offer near me. 

- Kevin E