Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Titleist T Series Irons - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy_APH

Absolutely outstanding review, @Ben Joest! A Titleist fitting is definitely in my future, hopefully in 2024!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Got out today to do some informal comparison testing pitting the Titleist irons against the Apex MBs. I swung the PW, 8i, & 7i from each. The results were predictably in favor of the Titleist irons, although during this snapshot there were 2 things to note. My five shot average with the MB 8i was actually better and I had a really good day with the T200 7i in terms of striking the ball. It’s almost as if my 7 iron read the review… 😂

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Well, today is the last day of my golf outing in the north Georgia mountains at Kingwood Resort. We came up Sunday and played  18 holes that afternoon, 36 holes Monday, and wrapping it up today with 18 and then heading back home. 

42/43 85 Sunday
45/40 85 Monday morning
39/38 77 Monday afternoon

The T350s did not disappoint and I received several comments on my ball striking with the T350s which produced three closeups ($15.00 each) and four skins ($15.00 each) plus my team picked up $30.00 yesterday afternoon with a game called 3 low. Three low scores out of the foursome.  Oh and by the way, the closeups I won were against some really good players so that made me grin like a opossum in a persimmon tree. 

Putting on these FAST undulating bent grass greens was tough on everyone producing more three putts than a momma sow with an overload of piglets. 

As for the Titleist irons AND hybrids they were so much fun and produced shot after shot of beautiful trajectory shots that landed like a butterfly with sore feet.  One more round today to kick some butt! 💣

Today when I get back home I'll wrap up the final stage of this review with my overall comments while testing the T350s.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 8/14/2023 at 11:44 AM, Ben Joest said:

The averages shown below show my concerns over this being too big of a loft gap proved unfounded. However, as this is the blend point for this set, nowhere is it more apparent that what is gained (distance & forgiveness) in the T200 line, is done so at the expense of feel. The T150 irons are among the best feeling irons I have hit. Where as the T150 8 iron feels fantastic, the T200 7 iron feels muted by comparison. The chart below shows the performance of the 7 iron is there, but the feel isn’t the same. So much so, that I will be ordering a T150 7 iron to swap out with the T200. The 5 & 6 are clubs that I traditionally struggle with, so the loss of feel isn’t as jarring, in the interest of consistent performance.

Something that will appear in my review as well regarding the feel of the new T200s. Comparing them directly to their orignal T200 ancestors the feel of the new ones is as you say, "muted". That's not to say they don't give good feel feedback, it's just not as harsh on the mis-hits as with the prior generation.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

having tech difficulties getting the final review to post. Please stand by.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

On 8/14/2023 at 10:44 AM, Ben Joest said:

Play it or Trade It?

image.gif

PLAY IT!!!! As this set is currently constructed, I have seen scores that rightly justify their continued residence in my bag for the foreseeable future. To say that they will remain in their current configuration, would be tantamount to denying my tinker nature. My natural curiosity may see a change to Steelfiber shafts, and I will be swapping out the T200 7 iron for the T150 7 iron, but by and large there are no plans to swap these irons out with anything else.

(19 out of 20)

Conclusion

These irons are as good as you can imagine them to be, their only limitations are that of the individual swinging them. They are built to perform with the singular purpose of allowing any given golfer to play their best. The ease with which these clubs blend across the product range is truly magnificent. If you are in the market for new irons and don’t schedule an appointment with a certified Titleist fitter, then you are doing yourself a grave injustice. Even if you have no intentions of buying them, the $100 for a fitting with a Titleist club fitter is a value for the experience alone. Want a small taste of what Tour pros feel like? Go get yourself a Titleist fitting!

image.gif

Final Score (92 out of 100)

Loved the review! I was going to mention the "Break 70" banner, but you already knocked that out. 😀

I actually reached out Jim to see what his coverage area is for fitting as Titleist is on my radar for fitting next Spring for the first time ever. I'd be more than happy to come up to Lebanon for a few days to spend time with my sister and nephews and get some fitting done.

I'll be curious to hear if you replace those shafts and how that makes things better or worse.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Just now, Shrek74 said:

Loved the review! I was going to mention the "Break 70" banner, but you already knocked that out. 😀

I actually reached out Jim to see what his coverage area is for fitting as Titleist is on my radar for fitting next Spring for the first time ever. I'd be more than happy to come up to Lebanon for a few days to spend time with my sister and nephews and get some fitting done.

I'll be curious to hear if you replace those shafts and how that makes things better or worse.

Thanks! If you make it up to Lebanon, we can get a round in at Majestic Springs or Shaker Run. For clarity, Jim is based in Seymour, IN and covers the surrounding areas. 

Right now, a shaft change is more of an idea I’m kicking around, rather than a plan, but if I do it I will be sure to document the process and of course, update the thread.

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

15 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Thanks! If you make it up to Lebanon, we can get a round in at Majestic Springs or Shaker Run. For clarity, Jim is based in Seymour, IN and covers the surrounding areas. 

Right now, a shaft change is more of an idea I’m kicking around, rather than a plan, but if I do it I will be sure to document the process and of course, update the thread.

I remember testing the Steelfiber shafts when I did a PXG fitting a couple years ago. They're pretty stout and at the time weren't as accurate as the DG120's I'm in now. But with my swing changes, they're one I want to look into knowing I'm more interested in graphite than steel for my next set (elbow issues).

I look forward to seeing what you may do and to see how it works.

Yes, I'll definitely reach out whenever I come up to visit them. I'm very curious to see how Shaker Run turned out, as I looked at houses in there before deciding to move here instead.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

4 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I remember testing the Steelfiber shafts when I did a PXG fitting a couple years ago. They're pretty stout and at the time weren't as accurate as the DG120's I'm in now. But with my swing changes, they're one I want to look into knowing I'm more interested in graphite than steel for my next set (elbow issues).

Yes, I'll definitely reach out whenever I come up to visit them. I'm very curious to see how Shaker Run turned out, as I looked at houses in there before deciding to move here instead.

Sounds good. Re: shaker, there are 2 nines there that I really like in Lakeside and Woodlands. The meadows 9 in Meh, for me.

WITB:

14 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

... Of course every swing is different, but Steelfibers are by far the #1 graphite shaft on the LPGA with most of the top players using them including Nelly Korda, JY Ko and Lydia Ko. They are the most accurate irons shafts I have played and wouldn't play anything else. Stated this before but I originally tried a set of i95's in stiff flex when I was playing Recoil 95's in stiff flex and the Steelfibers were too stout for me and I gave up after 2 rounds and went back to my Recoils. Then after talking to the Aerotech Tour Rep he told me they play 1/2 to a full flex stronger, especially for smoother swings. He handed me a 7iron with a Steelfiber i95 in regular flex and it was magical. Finding the right flex and weight is always important but even more so with Steelfibers. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

55 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Of course every swing is different, but Steelfibers are by far the #1 graphite shaft on the LPGA with most of the top players using them including Nelly Korda, JY Ko and Lydia Ko. They are the most accurate irons shafts I have played and wouldn't play anything else. Stated this before but I originally tried a set of i95's in stiff flex when I was playing Recoil 95's in stiff flex and the Steelfibers were too stout for me and I gave up after 2 rounds and went back to my Recoils. Then after talking to the Aerotech Tour Rep he told me they play 1/2 to a full flex stronger, especially for smoother swings. He handed me a 7iron with a Steelfiber i95 in regular flex and it was magical. Finding the right flex and weight is always important but even more so with Steelfibers. 

That's very interesting information. I hadn't heard of that before. I'll have to research that about the flexes, especially if I'm looking at something like the 110g weight. I have the Recoil 125 Prototypes that I was looking to build a set of irons with, but I don't think the flex issue exists in these compared to the Steefibers.

My final thoughts will be up later today. I’m back from a mountain golf outing and my last two rounds there were 77 / 80. I had six 3 putts with the 80 round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland

@GregB135 mentioned it on the prior page.  We’re experiencing some technical issues that are no fault of anyone.  Just unfortunate timing.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 hours ago, ole gray said:

I had six 3 putts with the 80 round. emoji15.png

... Just curious but is it faulty line, faulty distance or both? 

42 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just curious but is it faulty line, faulty distance or both? 

Faulty line mostly as I never got the correct read which would have my ball breaking away a good bit from the hole.  The greens were bent grass and super fast. 

Cleveland

2 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Faulty line mostly as I never got the correct read which would have my ball breaking away a good bit from the hole.  The greens were bent grass and super fast. 

... Haha I love fast bent grass greens and I really miss them. I have more issues with the Bermuda grain here in the desert that doesn't break as much when rolling but can really snap off when the ball loses it's speed. You probably already know this but just try and play more break than you think on fast bent greens, then when you miss the ball will at least be rolling toward the hole instead of away from it. 

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Haha I love fast bent grass greens and I really miss them. I have more issues with the Bermuda grain here in the desert that doesn't break as much when rolling but can really snap off when the ball loses it's speed. You probably already know this but just try and play more break than you think on fast bent greens, then when you miss the ball will at least be rolling toward the hole instead of away from it. 

OR buy a LAB putter as it's supposed to almost putt by itself 😁

Cleveland

On 10/4/2023 at 2:52 PM, ole gray said:

OR buy a LAB putter as it's supposed to almost putt by itself 😁

Ask me about mine 😊

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Great review Steve @bens197

Your words paint a perfect picture of one who has the capability to play this type of iron and the performance they deliver.

Congrats. on lowering your handicap in the short time period as well.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, jdparker said:

@bens197 Way to go!

Thank you 😊

11 minutes ago, rkj427 said:

Great review Steve @bens197

Your words paint a perfect picture of one who has the capability to play this type of iron and the performance they deliver.

Congrats. on lowering your handicap in the short time period as well.

Thank you for following along. I hope this did them justice. I was truly impressed not only by how much I enjoyed them, even more impressed by the results. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Quick post review update: I went to the range yesterday for some Driver related testing. I warmed up with the PW and the 7 iron. 

This first video is what I expect the 7 iron to do.

This second video is concerning, in that it was hit from a similar lie and turf condition, but it went a good deal further.

I haven’t really encountered any “hot” ones to this point, so maybe it’s an aberration, but it bears monitoring nonetheless.

WITB:

20 hours ago, bens197 said:

I think it’s better to share the news that my final post is up rather than wait to sync up and load corresponding photos. 

I have plenty to share here in the coming months and in the interim these two images are the most telling in support of why I believe the T100 is such a great iron. 

I lowered my index 1.8 through the duration of this test. I hovered around 5.3 throughout July into August and then everything changed. 

You can read my full review on page one. 

IMG_8885.jpeg

IMG_8809.jpeg

Great review Steve, even without all the window dressing.

Quick question for you - which is more forgiving, T100 or Pro223?

15 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

Great review Steve, even without all the window dressing.

Quick question for you - which is more forgiving, T100 or Pro223?

I was hoping someone would ask this question…

After playing the T100 for one month it was really difficult to play the 223’s. Not because they’re harder to play, it’s because I was so dialed in with the new irons. 

So in my best efforts to accurately describe the difference here we go:

When I tried hitting the 223 last week, I felt like I was swinging a GI iron. I knew I could find the center of the face…I also knew I would be less accurate. It was a refinement process of finding a better, more detailed set of clubs that allowed me to become more precise. 

So it’s complicated. I know I play better, more accurate golf with the T100, which also means I’m hitting them more solid and more consistent. 

If I needed a confidence boost, I’d grab the 223 and play a round knowing I could have success with wider margins. 

So to answer your question, they’re both forgiving but I’ll pull the T100 every time because it’s going to go where I want the ball to go. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I was hoping someone would ask this question…

After playing the T100 for one month it was really difficult to play the 223’s. Not because they’re harder to play, it’s because I was so dialed in with the new irons. 

So in my best efforts to accurately describe the difference here we go:

When I tried hitting the 223 last week, I felt like I was swinging a GI iron. I knew I could find the center of the face…I also knew I would be less accurate. It was a refinement process of finding a better, more detailed set of clubs that allowed me to become more precise. 

So it’s complicated. I know I play better, more accurate golf with the T100, which also means I’m hitting them more solid and more consistent. 

If I needed a confidence boost, I’d grab the 223 and play a round knowing I could have success with wider margins. 

So to answer your question, they’re both forgiving but I’ll pull the T100 every time because it’s going to go where I want the ball to go. 

What I like so much about the T150’s is that combination of feel and accuracy. There is no guesswork on my part to know where the ball is going. When they are dialed, it is aim and execute.

The T200’s are perfectly fine for mid-irons. For the 5&6, which aren’t what I consider scoring clubs, they are perfect. For 7i on down, I want that feel. I imagine I would like the feel of the T100’s very much as well. So it makes me happy that you are enjoying them so much 😁

WITB:

On 10/5/2023 at 5:31 PM, bens197 said:

Ask me about mine 😊

I'll soon be on the LAB train 😉

Cleveland

12 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I'll soon be on the LAB train 😉

Me too!

IMG_1332.jpeg

WITB:

11 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Me too!

😄

Brothers from another Mother!  Our lie angle (67) is the same.  

Cleveland

49 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Brothers from another Mother!  Our lie angle (67) is the same.  

That makes 3 of us on team 67*

• Srixon Z-Star XV