Iron covers?!

AndrewS7K

Hey folk, bought a new set of irons recently after using my previous ones for 12 years!  Is it worth putting iron head covers on? I don't see many people using them... wanna try and keep em from being scuffed up!  If so what are the best ones that don't always fall off etc?  TIA!

This topic will be met with lots of criticism as it can be a hot topic for some people. 

As for myself, I use them. I’m a big club ho’ and anything that can keep resale up is a win for me. I use the simple neoprene ones with the numbers on them. The ones with clear bottoms always come apart too quickly. It’s also a helpful deterrent should some jerk be trying to steal them lol.  

It has actually become part of my pre shot routine. Pull my club, take off the cover, 1 or 2 practice swings behind the ball while envisioning the shot I wanna hit, hit, clean the club face, put cover back on, and put club away. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

This topic will be met with lots of criticism as it can be a hot topic for some people. 

As for myself, I use them. I’m a big club ho’ and anything that can keep resale up is a win for me. I use the simple neoprene ones with the numbers on them. The ones with clear bottoms always come apart too quickly. It’s also a helpful deterrent should some jerk be trying to steal them lol.  

It has actually become part of my pre shot routine. Pull my club, take off the cover, 1 or 2 practice swings behind the ball while envisioning the shot I wanna hit, hit, clean the club face, put cover back on, and put club away. 

This! All day this! I have used head covers since the day I started playing golf. I was taught at a young age that we take care of our things, regardless of cost or usage or whatever. If we own it, we take care of it. Another reason I'll park at the farthest away spot at Costco, even in a blizzard (no one's dinging my doors).

I've transitioned away from the bulkier Castle Bay covers to the neoprene versions from Amazon. They work just fine, and in my routine I just put them in my pocket since they're thin enough to do so. That way I don't lose them the way my dad loses his when he tosses his Castle Bay covers into the cart basket and they fall through the gaps.

You may get grief from those less inclined to take care of their stuff (I bet their cars are full of dings), but I just let it roll down my back.

I had a set of Ping G15's I bought new in 2008 and traded in back in 2020. They looked better than other used clubs I saw that were only a couple years old. How do people play with clubs that beat up?!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Nicks and dings on forged irons are like a badge of honor. Irons are used hit a round ball off a bigger round ball. They are the work horse of the bag. They are going to get scratched and nicked at some point.

they are also a depreciating asset, keeping them pristine adds very value to them

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

59 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nicks and dings on forged irons are like a badge of honor. Irons are used hit a round ball off a bigger round ball. They are the work horse of the bag. They are going to get scratched and nicked at some point.

they are also a depreciating asset, keeping them pristine adds very value to them

Some like to see the nicks and dings but as someone that buys and sells a lot of clubs, I can assure you that keeping them as pristine as possible can be worth as much as a couple hundred dollars in resale.  

Obviously to each their own and this topic has been beaten to death over and over again, but for my money I’ll use them and don’t care what anyone else thinks. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

7 hours ago, AndrewS7K said:

Hey folk, bought a new set of irons recently after using my previous ones for 12 years!  Is it worth putting iron head covers on? I don't see many people using them... wanna try and keep em from being scuffed up!  If so what are the best ones that don't always fall off etc?  TIA!

https://www.clubglove.com/viewproducts/gloveskinbrpremium-iron-covers-9/

34-ICGR9401-1.jpg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 8:40 AM, AndrewS7K said:

Sharp and functional! 👍  I decided to start using them when I bought the forged ZX5's.  Unlike PING's indestructotanium, I knew these would get marked up badly without protection. Bag chattered, scuffed up irons are sinful 😉.  These are made by Craftsman Golf and they work very well and have held up for over 3 years.

PXL_20210717_154618185.jpg.00ef92c2f6a339b6f8e994f0212de824.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I started using iron head covers and told my wife I needed the big numbers on the covers so I don't grab the wrong club.  The real reason is they hide the new irons that I bought. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I've come up with a new iron head cover marketing slogan... "if you're going to have forged, do so with protection".  😊

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

• 1 month later...

I use them because as a high-handicapper, I know my clubs will have more resale value as I lower my index and upgrade what I am playing.  This is one part of the game I truly don't understand the fuss, but man, people's opinion on this can be brutal.  Welp...  to each their own.  No iron glove, no iron love.  

• Driver - Cobra LTDx Max
  • 3W - Callaway Paradym
  • 3h/4h - Callaway BB19
  • 5h - TM Stealth
  • 6i-P - Wilson D9 CB
  • 52* - Cobra SB Black
  • 56* - Callaway JAWS MD5
  • 60* - Mizuno T22 C-Grind
  • Putter - Cleveland HB 11 Soft Mallet 34"

• 1 month later...

Absolutely as I just love it when I hit a shot and put my iron cover back on and my playing partners want to take another look at what I just hit. Main reason is it protects them from getting all marked up as I have seen some new irons look like they were 5 years old 

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/OBAN KIYOSHI Purple Tour Reserve 45

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip