Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Newton Driver Golf Shaft Review (2024)

GolfSpy_APH

On 3/21/2024 at 7:54 PM, Erin B said:

Yes, 45.5 because you take of .25 for the end of the grip

USGA may call it 45.75”. 

In addition, you need to measure from the sole to grip cap, not the other way around, and you need to use an angled plate set to a 60 degree angle to sole the club against when you take the measurement.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

7 minutes ago, Javs said:

Well I made the plunge last night. I purchased a 5 dot cut down to 45 inches to go with my Callaway AI Smoke TD. I sure hope it’s a winner!

I’m there as well. I think I’m going to just cut it here. I have one grip left. I’ll ask Angelo if he’s ok with it. It’s already mine anyway. Paid for before the demo program started. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

8 minutes ago, Javs said:

Well I made the plunge last night. I purchased a 5 dot cut down to 45 inches to go with my Callaway AI Smoke TD. I sure hope it’s a winner!

That is actually the combination that I wanted to put together. My 4-dot Newton is built to play at 45” in the Paradym X driver, and if I can find an AI Smoke TD clubhead at anywhere close to a “reasonable” price, I may just jump on it.

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

USGA may call it 45.75”. 

In addition, you need to measure from the sole to grip cap, not the other way around, and you need to use an angled plate set to a 60 degree angle to sole the club against when you take the measurement.

Roger, didn’t have my angle finder. I think it’s in Laramie. And I was just over there getting my air compressor and ladder. I’m so forgetful sometimes. I think I’m going to order star grips which is the main reason I brought home the compressor. I’m tired of spending hundreds on grips every season just to throw them away.

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

12 minutes ago, Javs said:

I still think that I can handle a 5-dot shaft, but possibly not if 5-dot is perfect for your swing. I am sure that you are generating 10-12 MPH (or more) with your driver swing than I am.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I still think that I can handle a 5-dot shaft, but possibly not if 5-dot is perfect for your swing. I am sure that you are generating 10-12 MPH (or more) with your driver swing than I am.

You can put it out there as well. Angelo said a lot depends on transition tempo as well. I am very quick so, he recommended the 5 dot. We emailed about the 6, but I think it might be too strong. Plus, my window is closing as I’m not getting younger, ha ha

Play like a champion today!

1 hour ago, Javs said:

You can put it out there as well. Angelo said a lot depends on transition tempo as well. I am very quick so, he recommended the 5 dot. We emailed about the 6, but I think it might be too strong. Plus, my window is closing as I’m not getting younger, ha ha

Well, I will be 75 years old on Tuesday, so there's that!

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Javs said:

I’m going to live vicariously through you guys for a few months. I need to get a better feel for my new Aerojet before I determine next steps for a shaft. But the Newton has my eye for sure.  

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

8 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I’m going to live vicariously through you guys for a few months. I need to get a better feel for my new Aerojet before I determine next steps for a shaft. But the Newton has my eye for sure.  

I know of another shaft that works really well in the Aerojet, but I’m not going to tell you what it is here. Some guys here don’t like the company. That’s all I have to say about that. I did try the Newton in the Aerojet, the Ping, and currently in my Paradym TD. The tipped 5 dot is perfect in my Paradym. I do need to lose about an inch off the top, but I’m choking up on it and is working right now.

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

14 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I know of another shaft that works really well in the Aerojet, but I’m not going to tell you what it is here. Some guys here don’t like the company. That’s all I have to say about that. I did try the Newton in the Aerojet, the Ping, and currently in my Paradym TD. The tipped 5 dot is perfect in my Paradym. I do need to lose about an inch off the top, but I’m choking up on it and is working right now.

You think tipping it helped lower ball flight a little bit? Scared of some of the feedback about higher ball flight with this shaft. I already hit a mid-high ball flight as it is. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

3 hours ago, Javs said:

I just took the plunge a half hour ago and purchased a Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond driver head (10.5* loft) from a guy who owns a golf shop in Alabama. I know him from several years of attending the PGA Show, and have purchased several items from him in the past, so I am confident that the head is genuine and his description says that it is in “virtually perfect“ condition.

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, Preeway said:

You think tipping it helped lower ball flight a little bit? Scared of some of the feedback about higher ball flight with this shaft. I already hit a mid-high ball flight as it is. 

Yeah, before they tipped it the ball was soaring.

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

2 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Well, I will be 75 years old on Tuesday, so there's that!

You have me by a couple years, but I lived a hard life ha ha. My Dad used to say: if you knew you would live this long you probably would have chosen a different line of work……

1 hour ago, Javs said:

You have me by a couple years, but I lived a hard life ha ha. My Dad used to say: if you knew you would live this long you probably would have chosen a different line of work……

Well, If I had not met my current wife back when I was 31-32 years old, I would almost certainly not be alive today! I was living a life hell-bent on self-destruction. Between drinking and drugs, hanging out all night long with a really bad crowd, and other assorted vices (gambling being near the top of the list), I don’t think that I was long for this world.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Well, If I had not met my current wife back when I was 31-32 years old, I would almost certainly not be alive today! I was living a life hell-bent on self-destruction. Between drinking and drugs, hanging out all night long with a really bad crowd, and other assorted vices (gambling being near the top of the list), I don’t think that I was long for this world.

Thank goodness you found her!

Had a great chat with Angelo this morning.  I'm sticking with the 5 dot and sending the 4 dot back. 

He said they are most likely a few weeks out on having shafts ready for the rest of the woods. Looks like the 3 wood will be getting a Newton soon. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Well, my 1st range session with the Newton shaft didn't go very well. I couldn't stop hitting the ball on the lower part of the club (not my normal miss). And the more I tried to adjust, the more out of sync I got. My plan was to compare my Motore X shaft against the Newton at an indoor range where they have Mevos available for use. I even brought 6 used ProVs that I would sacrifice to the range to get some data on a good, non-range ball once I felt I was swinging well. But I managed to forget the Cobra adapter sleeve, which is not fixed, for the universal shaft adapter I have on the Motore X, so that was out. All I could do is switch to other clubs to try and get some semblance of rhythm back, but that met with minimal success. I'm traveling to mid-Michigan for a couple of weeks where I should be able to get on a Trackman to try the comparison again, this time hitting nothing but my gamer balls. Hopefully I can get some credible data to decide whether the Newton is a keeper. Right now, I'm not sure there's a club in my bag that's a keeper!! 🤬

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

Well, different strokes for different folks, right?

I was able to get a round in today & the Newton is going back 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it has to do with transition/loading (as @Javs was discussing with Angelo) or something else, but I only hit one fairway today 🤕 

It is a decent shaft but MY go-to is still my EF Green & I don't have enough 'disposable income' to have something end-up in my golf rack (with the other wedges & putters) 🙄

It IS very nice that Newton even offers a Demo program 👍

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

4 minutes ago, CudaKota66 said:

Well, different strokes for different folks, right?

I was able to get a round in today & the Newton is going back 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it has to do with transition/loading (as @Javs was discussing with Angelo) or something else, but I only hit one fairway today 🤕 

It is a decent shaft but MY go-to is still my EF Green & I don't have enough 'disposable income' to have something end-up in my golf rack (with the other wedges & putters) 🙄

It IS very nice that Newton even offers a Demo program 👍

What was your miss?

On 3/25/2024 at 4:14 PM, Josh Parker said:

Had a great chat with Angelo this morning.  I'm sticking with the 5 dot and sending the 4 dot back. 

He said they are most likely a few weeks out on having shafts ready for the rest of the woods. Looks like the 3 wood will be getting a Newton soon. 

Good to hear. Great staff over there at Newton.

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:20 AM, MIgregb said:

Well, my 1st range session with the Newton shaft didn't go very well. I couldn't stop hitting the ball on the lower part of the club (not my normal miss). And the more I tried to adjust, the more out of sync I got. My plan was to compare my Motore X shaft against the Newton at an indoor range where they have Mevos available for use. I even brought 6 used ProVs that I would sacrifice to the range to get some data on a good, non-range ball once I felt I was swinging well. But I managed to forget the Cobra adapter sleeve, which is not fixed, for the universal shaft adapter I have on the Motore X, so that was out. All I could do is switch to other clubs to try and get some semblance of rhythm back, but that met with minimal success. I'm traveling to mid-Michigan for a couple of weeks where I should be able to get on a Trackman to try the comparison again, this time hitting nothing but my gamer balls. Hopefully I can get some credible data to decide whether the Newton is a keeper. Right now, I'm not sure there's a club in my bag that's a keeper!! 🤬

That sucks. Hope you find your swing again. 

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

What was your miss?

Snap hook. Low grounders to 3rd base.

The one fairway I hit, I intentionally altered my tempo. It was long & straight - I will admit - but not enough to displace a shaft I'm accustomed to & is paid for.

Again, the is my opinion & my experience. I want to be careful to not disparage Newton & encourage everyone to experiment themselves. Personally, I'm not an Otto-Phlex guy either....I think the last tee shot with an OP shaft is still going OB right! 🤣 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

10 minutes ago, CudaKota66 said:

The one fairway I hit, I intentionally altered my tempo. It was long & straight - I will admit - but not enough to displace a shaft I'm accustomed to & is paid for.

Again, the is my opinion & my experience. I want to be careful to not disparage Newton & encourage everyone to experiment themselves. Personally, I'm not an Otto-Phlex guy either....I think the last tee shot with an OP shaft is still going OB right! 🤣 

Hey not all shafts fit every swing and that's the beauty of golf. 

I give Newton big props for the CS and opportunity to test without full commitment. 

@CudaKota66 I feel ya, It took me multiple shafts to get the right one and they had to tip it to get it to work. Newton may not fit for you and that's ok. I am still a Steadfast fan but am going to stick with my 5 Dot in my Paradym TD.  @Josh Parker said it right and I agree with both of you about their customer service. It's outstanding!

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

I played my Newton 4-Dot shaft the last two days before more rain came here.  In 27 holes, I only missed 3 fairways (I used the driver on 20 out of 27 holes), and none of my misses were very far off of the fairways (every one of them missed slightly left; no "rights" with this shaft!).  My driving distance was good to very good (232 to 267 yards, with an average drive of just over 251 yards, according to my Garmin S70 GPS watch).  The Newton is staying in my Callaway Paradym driver, or it will go into the AI Smoke TD head that just arrived today.

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, CudaKota66 said:

Well you are correct as shafts as with all equipment is not one size fits all. Hey at least they accept it back so all you lost was a frustrating day on the links. It was worth the try!

15 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I played my Newton 4-Dot shaft the last two days before more rain came here.  In 27 holes, I only missed 3 fairways (I used the driver on 20 out of 27 holes), and none of my misses were very far off of the fairways (every one of them missed slightly left; no "rights" with this shaft!).  My driving distance was good to very good (232 to 267 yards, with an average drive of just over 251 yards, according to my Garmin S70 GPS watch).  The Newton is staying in my Callaway Paradym driver, or it will go into the AI Smoke TD head that just arrived today.

It's in the AI Smoke Triple Diamond head (nicest-looking driver head I have ever seen, and it sits just ever so slightly open in the "neutral" position on the adapter).  Maybe that slightly-open face angle of just a hair less than 1* will help me to avoid the left misses .... besides, the best match up until now has been the Newton shaft in my Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond driver head.

Now, if someone wants a like-new Rogue ST LS TD driver at 9* standard loft with their choice of about 5 different stiff-flex shafts in various profiles, just hit me up!  I'll give you a fabulous price on it!!!

Spoiler

On 3/24/2024 at 4:06 PM, Erin B said:

You think maybe now you can mention the "other" shaft brand without catching holy hell?  Or is there a private messaging function in MGS?

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

24 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

You think maybe now you can mention the "other" shaft brand without catching holy hell?  Or is there a private messaging function in MGS?

He has talked about it in other threads. It is a steadfast jupiter shaft.   

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG