2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Short Putting it my bugaboo right now too. Keep grinding. We will figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Jim Shaw said:

how are the greens, pretty smooth?

Yes, greens were pretty smooth and my distance control was spot on.   It was extremely weird; i got what I can best describe as a twitchy feeling in my left arm and hand when I got over the ball.  I know….kind of sounds like the Yips.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Here’s a question. How do you adjust to different putting conditions? Going to a course that’s Slow/shaggy/fast/dry. Or all over the map? What if the practice green doesn’t match course conditions. How do you adjust or salvage your day? 

Photographer, snowboarder, car enthusiast, total hack

Posted (edited)

I was able to get out for 9 after work on Friday (4/26) and Monday (4/29). I am still playing without a driver, but it is not needed most places I play. Shot an even par 36 on Friday with 14 putts, including a sloppy 3-putt on the 8th. Good ball striking in the stiff wind and solid putting results in good scores. 

Monday was a very solid ball-striking day with strong winds, but I only managed 1 up and down and none over the final 5 holes with two 3-putts. These greens are very different from my home course, but they shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. 

On a bright note, I was able to bring my 6 year old daughter to the course with me to let her get some swings in. Hopefully she’ll get the desire to play so I will have a partner and help relieve my wife some from having 3 kids alone while I play. 

I’m just thankful to be able to play, spend time with my daughter, and play mostly good golf, for my standards. IMG_4322.jpeg.16ffd156c7e819fff919eee655180eb2.jpeg

Edited by Jacob10

Jacob

36 minutes ago, DanJ33 said:

Here’s a question. How do you adjust to different putting conditions? Going to a course that’s Slow/shaggy/fast/dry. Or all over the map? What if the practice green doesn’t match course conditions. How do you adjust or salvage your day? 

This assumes you have good touch skills.   You simply observe what is happening during the round.  As the day progresses and the weather conditions change greens will change.  Based on whether the ball is going farther or shorter you make adjustments.   Even with significant green speed changes you won’t go from on green that will be 4 feet short and the exact same putt be 4 feet past on a different green.   Basically it is just observation and adjusting your stroke; There really isn’t anything definitive on this is what you should do.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I do know Nick. All the way back to his meriwether days. Course is in great shape sans hole one. I presume they are either redoing that green or trying to recover the grass. The 18 I did was spur of the moment. I usually play two nines (front during week and back on weekend) as close to sunrise that I can. This weekend likely was a no go since they have an event so I pushed myself to do 18. 

That is cool, I first met him at Red Tail prior to Meriwether. Is that your home course? Do you play any other courses in the PDX area? Do you ever get up to Kelso Vancouver? Or one of my favs is Elk Ridge.

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

35 minutes ago, Manny said:

That is cool, I first met him at Red Tail prior to Meriwether. Is that your home course? Do you play any other courses in the PDX area? Do you ever get up to Kelso Vancouver? Or one of my favs is Elk Ridge.

I play where ever i can get a quick nine in at sunrise 🙂 I mainly frequent Forest hills as it is always a challenge (and now realized i could play 18 there for $35 starting that early). I love to play all over. Unfortunately since child I have not been able to play the many different courses I love to play. I have not played any golf up in WA but have always wanted to.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I finally got to play again, haven't been able to play because the course was so wet than we went on vacation. The last time I played was April 9th. Shot 46 with 2 doubles, I was driving well but my iron distances were off. Still early yet playing tomorrow and Friday. Hit'm well everyone. 

Frank musolino 

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes, greens were pretty smooth and my distance control was spot on.   It was extremely weird; i got what I can best describe as a twitchy feeling in my left arm and hand when I got over the ball.  I know….kind of sounds like the Yips.

There is chatter about “twitch” muscles on occasion. 

committed to performance excellence

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

Thank you to @ejgaudette @injectedcutty @Michael.Sandoval33 @Prodigal Duffer @Rob Person and @sschristie for the photos for social medias this week!

One thing I would like to do is tag any courses where you got the photo from. If the course you are playing has an Instagram account let me know what the handle is in your post and I will be sure to tag them in any pictures we use on our accounts.

If we wanted to send a photo, what would be the best way to do it? DM it to the forum IG?

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway: Ping G425 Max 16*

Hybrid: Callaway Ai Smoke 4h 21*

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 HM HL 6-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM10 54* 58* 12D

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour CB 37 inch

Scramble day…

IMG_4892.jpeg.02d88e838717f63db4e1f8662f903207.jpegIMG_4891.jpeg.d93898ba9601f86cd1b60892be878e84.jpeg

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

1 hour ago, Sam C said:

If we wanted to send a photo, what would be the best way to do it? DM it to the forum IG?

Just post here! However ya want to recap your round and add Whatver pictures you want!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

7 hours ago, bens197 said:

Hit every GIR inside 100 yards and overall felt pretty good. 

Using the PINGs?

WITB:
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 11*
4 wood: Titleist 975f 16.5*
7 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
Irons: 5-PW Maltby DBM Forged, Nippon Pro Modus 120s
Wedges: 50* PING S159 S-12 | 54* PING S159 S-12 | 58*: PING S159 T-6
Putter: PING Sigma G Kinloch C

Forum Tests and Reviews:

11 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I play where ever i can get a quick nine in at sunrise 🙂 I mainly frequent Forest hills as it is always a challenge (and now realized i could play 18 there for $35 starting that early). I love to play all over. Unfortunately since child I have not been able to play the many different courses I love to play. I have not played any golf up in WA but have always wanted to.

Well if you ever want or can get up here let me know. I am lucky I can play all over no more children in the house

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

On 5/1/2024 at 8:35 AM, cnosil said:

Not sure what to make of yesterday’s league round.   hit a few mediocre shots but did everything pretty well except short putts.  Missed 4 putts under 3 feet.   

There was a time I felt more comfortable over a 20 footer than a 3 footer…I can feel your pain!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 4/29/2024 at 12:57 PM, NubianRugby said:

Always a glorious day when that happens. A couple of weeks I had the front 9 at my home course to myself after they had punched the greens.

I can 100% agree this is always very nice!

My local course allows me to play as a single usually so I can play Best ball or just 2 balls and keep both the scores yet still keep a solid pace so no pressure from behind

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 12*

*DRIVER TESTING CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 75 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75 S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

10 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Played nine holes after work with some friends at Brained Golf Course in Chattanooga. It's a beautiful Donald Ross design course that I think has been around since the 30's. The greens are not tricked out, but they are slick and make putting a chore. 

20240502_161212.jpg.80bbe41c6ca70af637fb9a325bc77d74.jpg

I shot 52 hitting 3 fairways, 2 greens, and having 18 putts. All facets of my game were decent with nothing really standing out. 

I had a couple of blow up holes, one of which was the par 4 7th which is a short hole of only 300 yards but it's well protected in the front with bunkers. It also has a tee box on the left hand side and a fairway that opens up to the right to lure you into it's trap. The right side is guarded by a tall rock wall that makes hitting the narrow part of the green difficult. 

20240502_180218.jpg.cc3988e7719d1381797e3825586a4a6e.jpg

I hit a drive down the pipe, leaving around 77 in. I bladed a wedge over the green into the woods and had to chop out and chip a second time. 

My shot and hole of the day came on the 8th. It's a par 5 that they had moved the tee box up due to construction of new boxes and had it playing as a 260 yard par 4. I hit a good drive and had about 60 yards left into the green. I hit my second shot a good distance, but left into a bunker. I hit the ball out and went to 14 feet from the hole. I sank the putt for a par, which as best as I can recall is my first sand save. Maybe I can sometimes, occasionally, every once in a while play out of the sand. 

20240502_181505.jpg.d445b55eb779e775d0c75c4b7cddc6bb.jpg

While I can see room for improvement, this was a fun round and a great day to be on the course. 

@sirchunksalot Congrats on the sand save!

I lived in Chattanooga for a couple of  years and walked this course and Brown Acres many times. Those greens are hard and need a perfectly stuck iron shot to hold. Both courses are easy to get off the rails quick, but they are fair. They were in the process of converting the greens at Brown Acres to bermuda when I moved. I would like to go back and see how it plays with different greens.

Jacob

@Josh Parker. That bunker is intimidating!  Any bunker that requires a stairwell should most definitely be avoided!  😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.