Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Driving irons

Hi everyone, been curious and been looking around for a 2 driving iron lately not sure on any specific one yet wondering if anyone can give me some help or reviews with there driving irons and help me make a decision.

thanks 

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/driving-irons/best-driving-irons-2023/

The 2024 test should be starting in a few months.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I play the ping i crossover in a 3 iron as a hybrid replacement/driving iron on short or narrow par 4s and I absolutely love it. Gets the ball up in the air easily like a hybrid would but has way better feel and workability. Plus it’s decently forgiving on off-center strikes.

I second the ping iCrossover suggestion.  I am awful with a hybrid and can't explain it.  I similarly use my iCrossover off the tee when conditions dictate that move---narrow or need to navigate a hazard, etc.  I also have zero issue off of the turf although I rarely run into a need for it other than managing a par 5 second shot possibly.   The other nice thing is that it is adjustable and I have lofted mine down.   I know you were looking for a 2 iron, but not sure what you were looking for loft-wise.   I still get good launch and high ball flight even though I think I am at 17 degrees.   I really wanted a low laser like stinger and I guess I get more height than I anticipated.  I have considered an alternative shaft, but I guess I'm a bit hesitant to change it.   I have a UST V2 ProForce that would work (and maybe flatten it out) if I changed out the tip.  

• Driver- image.png.e24a2409101bd1ac07c78edcf8303773.png G430 Max 10K -9* -Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6-X 
  • Fairway - -:titleist-small: TSr2 15*  3 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • Fairway - image.png.48336341476630da4be4ad7cac012b8a.png- TSr2 18*  5 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • UDI- :ping-small:- iCrossover Utility Driving 3 iron Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 sometimes  :Sub70: -699 Pro 4 -22* Driving Iron UST Proforce V2 Stiff
  • Irons- :srixon-small:- ZX4 MK II 5-7, Srixon ZX5 8-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 X-Stiff
  • Wedges-  :cleveland-small:- RTX Zip Core 50*, 54* Nippon Modus 3 Wedge, 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
  • Putter- :EVNROLL: - ER5v Short Slant
  • Ball-  Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag
  • Cliq Gear 4.0 push cart

I use a driving iron on tight driving holes, but I'd never even think of pulling it out anyplace other than the tee.  Maybe on a perfect uphill lie against a strong wind, but even then, I don't recall having done it.

Five iron is as much iron as I like to hit off the deck.  Even though I have the tee pretty much pushed in all the way for the driving iron, it's at least teed up the thickness of the tee's cup or a tiny bit more.  I prefer picking up a broken tee from the ground for any irons, even a shorter one on a par 3.

I have a srixon zu85 2 iron that has been in the bag longer than any other club. It’s 230-240 off the tee and straight all the time. I swap it for a hybrid on some courses though bc it’s a one trick pony for me I’d never hit it off fairway 

Me winning isn’t, you do 

• 3 weeks later...

Rumor is the icrossover is the better of the bunch, from experience I have a Taylormade burner 3 iron that was released in '96 and it is by far my favorite club in the bag. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

I've played something that I used as a driving iron going back to my 1970s Spalding Executives.

Those clubs, pretty much made for the old Top Flite ball, were weaker lofted than most, probably all, of today's irons.

I used the 20° 2-iron as my driving iron,
left the 23° 3-iron out of my bag,
and the 26º 4-iron was  the strongest iron that I'd hit from the fairway.
(The irons went in 4° increments after that.)
I was OK with lofted fairway woods.

With my Titleist DCI 962s, I used a cosmetically matching but larger faced DCI O/S  2-iron as a driving iron.  

Eventually, I bought a Mizuno Fli Hi II "bespoke or dedicated or actual"  driving iron with Exsar shaft.   That was a good club.

Now I uses a U-505 with shaft and grip that match my irons and wedges.  The Recoil 95 isn't the stock graphite shaft but it was a no extra cost option available to match on driving iron, irons, and wedges.

I never spring for premium shafts.  I'm not that good to notice benefit.

For me, the driver is the easiest club with which to hit an on-purpose hook or slice.  I'm not talking about a controlled draw or fade.  Those are hard.
I'm talking a big banana to get around a dogleg.  I can do that.

The driver, however, being the strongest lofted non-putter club
(13.5° in my case but usually stronger for most)
LOVES to impart sidespin whether one wants it or not.  For that reason, I need to see wide open spaces before I try to hit a straight driver shot.

That's why I've always had a long iron "safety driver."
I don't ever remember hitting driver off fourteen tees like I see some players do.

I played six holes yesterday and nine early this morning.
Rehab is over.  I'm ready to come off the DL and play a full round tomorrow or Friday.

Edited by RetiredBoomer