Testers Announced! Evnroll and Precision Pro ×

Do you still carry a 5-iron?

I’m 55 and still carry a 5 iron. Although all my shafts are graphite now, except for my putter. Graphite has made a difference in my swing performance in my irons.  I’m starting to question how much longer I will keep the 5i. It is my longest iron as I do use 3 and 4 hybrids with good success.   

CST2112

I just turned 55 and still have and use my 5i. It's one of my favorite clubs. I just have confidence in it, know that I can hit it 170 yards with decent accuracy - not necessarily with consistency, but that's more a human problem than an equipment problem. I'm using PXG XF Gen 6s and I really like the feel of them. I'm not good enough to work a ball, so these help me keep ball flight straighter and reduce the dispersion. I don't carry anything lower than that in the bag though. Also thinking of going to a 7w because I love the 5w I have as well.

Gantwerk Golf

World's highest handicap PXG player

I still carry 4 and 5 irons.  My home course is very tight with several short par 4s where accuracy is more important than distance and the 4/5 irons are a much better option for me.  Plus, I still need the 4 and 5 iron, plus a 3 hybrid to cover all the distance gaps.

Titleist C-16 irons and woods

JP Golf GW, PW and SW

Gene Nead Putter

I left my 5 iron when I was about 58 years old, the hybrid is just too easy to hit. I do miss it however because I would use it to putt with from the fringe on long putts and was very successful with it. That is the only time I miss it though.

Hi, I'm 56 in a week, and I don't believe I leave my 5 iron out of bag.

I love it for punch shots and similar solution, when I have to have lower trajectory, under trees or similar.

I think it's not so much difficult to play than a 78 iron, and I use hybrids as substitutes of 4 or 3 irons... and sometimes of 3 wood... (a hybrid 2 works great).

Japan tools addicted.

My bag:

driver Srixon MX5, fairway wood Srixon MX3, ibrid 2,3,4,5 Srixon, Irons ZX5 Srixon, wedge Mizuno TP, putter Mati 

I still carry a 4 and a 5. with my 4 carrying in the mid 230s and my 5 in the high 220s I don't feel the need to replace them with hybrids or woods.

Mind you I do have a higher than average swing speed so I don't need the help getting a ball in the air to land softer on the green or fairway (or bunker on a bad day).

Ping G425 Max

TM Rocketballz 3 Wood (old bumblebee)

Ping G425 2h

iBlades 4 - Pw

TM Hi Toe wedges 52/56/60

Odyssey 11 Putter

The 5 is still an iron that’s in my bag. It was just last year that I took the 4 iron out and replaced it with a hybrid. The 5 iron is a utility club for me, the lower loft makes it one of the clubs i use if i ever need to punch out but still advance the ball a distance. My bag is 5-9 p790, 46, 52, 56, 60  Cleveland 588 rtx 2.0 wedges. 

Yep still need it, particularly for the low flighted punch shots.  I even have a four iron for the same (longer) approach. 

Consistently inconsistent golfer

I turn 49 next month and am still going strong with 3-PW for irons...I actually pulled my 3 wood recently as I never hit it so the only wood in my bag currently is my driver. If I'm not hitting my driver well off the tee, my 3 iron is actually my go to club and probably the 2nd most consistent in my bag other than my 60deg wedge. Feel pretty comfortable hitting any of my irons including my 5 so haven't looked at any other options at this point. I'm sure eventually that will happen but just not yet.

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

I haven’t carried a 5 iron in my bag for years.  I was carrying a 4 & 5 hybrid instead of 4 & 5 irons. Recently I replaced the 4 hybrid with a 7 wood and I am very happy with the switch.  

Cobra LTDX driver, Calloway Apex irons (6-AW), TSi2 3 wood, M6 5 wood, M2 hybrids (4,5), Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I’m 46 and I still use a 4 iron and 5 iron.  I recently dropped my 3 iron for a driving iron since I only use it off the tee.  

It’s funny you ask this…about three weeks ago I decided to drop my 5-iron in favor of a 5-hybrid in search of more consistency. I play the Rogue ST Max irons and purchased the set two years ago with PW-5i and 4H-3H. Since the purchase I made consistent contact with the 4H & 3H, but the 5i I was much less consistent and would often come up short and have a weak fading ball flight. 

For reference, I’m a 9 handicap with average swing speed and abilities. My stock 3H shot is about 200 and my stock 4H is about 190. The 5-iron when hit well would get to 180, but would often go 170 or even 160. 

Thus, I decided to replace my 5-iron with a 5H to match the set. The 5H has been great and now averages about 180-185 with much more consistent results. 

But, I do miss my 5-iron that was often used to punch out from under and behind trees. And, I find hitting a soft 5H very difficult and the gap between 6i and 5H is much greater. 

Overall, it’s been a good move, but not without drawbacks. 

It’s funny you ask this…about three weeks ago I decided to drop my 5-iron in favor of a 5-hybrid in search of more consistency. I play the Rogue ST Max irons and purchased the set two years ago with PW-5i and 4H-3H. Since the purchase I made consistent contact with the 4H & 3H, but the 5i I was much less consistent and would often come up short and have a weak fading ball flight. 

For reference, I’m a 9 handicap with average swing speed and abilities. My stock 3H shot is about 200 and my stock 4H is about 190. The 5-iron when hit well would get to 180, but would often go 170 or even 160. 

Thus, I decided to replace my 5-iron with a 5H to match the set. The 5H has been great and now averages about 180-185 with much more consistent results. 

But, I do miss my 5-iron that was often used to punch out from under and behind trees. And, I find hitting a soft 5H very difficult and the gap between 6i and 5H is much greater. 

Captain

I was fitted for t 350s. My pro substituted the 5 iron for a 26 degree hybrid with the mmt shaft.

He called it a cheat and he was right! It finds fairways carries about 180 for me.

Curt melick 

Captain

Yes, I still carry a 5 iron, my Titleist T300’s have stronger lofts, plus when fitted and ordered these I had my 4-6 delivered with 2deg stronger than stock 

WITB

Callaway Rouge ST Max D driver

Titleist TSR2 fairway 

Titleist Tsi2 fairway

Titleist TS2 Hybrid

Titleist T300 irons

Vokey Wedges SM8

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist LinkMaster bag

I am in the middle of deciding which may be better…I love my Diablo Forged 5i as it goes straight, easy to punch out of trees, however the G400 5h (both clubs w/in 1deg loft of each other) is so much more forgiving.  Yesterday it was the 5h in the bag, today the 5i….literally as I switched it out for the round I’ll play today with some good friends.  BTW - I’ll be 65 this year if that means anything.

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

1 hour ago, MCW88 said:

Still carrying a 5 iron, stronger lofts has left me with a 13 club bag where im not sure how to fill with my 5-pw having 4/5 degrees of loft between them then going 50-55-60 wedges, having a hybrid 3 wood driver the biggest gap being between my 3wood and driver

TM mini driver in 11.5 deg? 

I carry a 5 iron! It's my go to club when I'm not in the fairway and still along way out as I'm not not sure who can hit a fairway wood from the rough! Under trees and need to keep it low an another 5 iron shot! 

Alan Scalzi 

Yes, I do still carry a 5-iron. I bought a 25-degree hybrid called a 5-iron replacement a few years ago but  I hit it 15 yards further than my 5-iron. I do hit it OK but it is not my best iron. Perhaps I should consider a 28-degree hybrid.

26 minutes ago, Mac attack said:

I left my 5 iron when I was about 58 years old, the hybrid is just too easy to hit. I do miss it however because I would use it to putt with from the fringe on long putts and was very successful with it. That is the only time I miss it though.

If you have space, have you tried the PING ChipR?