Long Socks and shorts on course

... When I owned a 17' ski boat in my 20's working at a radio station in Columbus Ga, I would go to the lake with friends after my shift ended at 6pm as it stayed light til 10pm in the summer. One of my friends let my dock my little ski boat at their mobile home in the woods with 2 slips at his dock. I would go across the lake to get gas at this little shop owned by an older gentleman. He had quite a few stories for us and always had cold beer. At that time, we wore floppy white socks like Pete Maravich and other athletes with white gym shoes. Converse and Adidas Superstars. This dude was just an awesome old timer but wore dark colored tank tops, madras shorts and thin black socks a little longer than crew length with leather sandals. 😱

... I told him one day he is the coolest dude but we were a little shocked he wore something that looked like an accountant at a NJ beach. He laughed and said when he was a teenager and into his 20's this is what he wore and it was THE style  and he still rocked it. Said when we are his age (maybe late 60's) we would still be wearing what we wore at that moment and young studs like us will be asking why do you wear those silly floppy socks and gym shoes? LOL he was right of course.

... Fashion comes and goes and what anybody wears is irrelevant to me. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

I recently heard that 'no show,' or ankle, socks are falling out of fashion.  I don't know if it's with any bottom -- shorts vs. pants -- but that's what I heard.  It's probably just mental schema from the past, but I can see tube socks working with shorts on the golf course if they're shorter shorts, like above knee height.  But that's really just a throwback look in my head.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The one and only time I played golf in Australia, long socks were required if you were wearing shorts.  I mean over-the-calf socks, not crew length.  Over-the-calf socks are comon business wear in Bermuda, coupled with taylored shorts, a sportcoat, shirt and tie.  For me, I prefer the really short ones, but I don't care what anyone else wears.

My legs would be so hot in over the calf socks, or pants for that matter. Once temp gets down around 20F, then I start wearing longer socks and pants and maybe a long sleeve shirt, prior to that, short sleeve shirts and ankle length 1/4 socks. Probably wear jeans usually starting end of November in Colorado.

Edited by hoppman

7 minutes ago, matt_puttercup said:

I recently heard that 'no show,' or ankle, socks are falling out of fashion.  I don't know if it's with any bottom -- shorts vs. pants -- but that's what I heard. I can see tube socks working with shorts on the golf course if they're shorter shorts, like above knee height. 

... No show socks are out and tube socks are in? 🤣  Ummmm not here:

Screenshot2024-06-03at2_56_22PM.png.cb5779e645ce23ef6bddf6d88fa05f10.png 

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... No show socks are out and tube socks are in? 🤣  Ummmm not here:

Screenshot2024-06-03at2_56_22PM.png.cb5779e645ce23ef6bddf6d88fa05f10.png 

Lived in AZ from 2002-2006 during my undergrad days; attended Arizona so spent most of the year down in Tucson, spent summers at my Mom's place in Peoria; have played a lot of golf in AZ.  Hope you can get those early morning tee times!!  And if you do, I guess rock the comeback of the striped tube sock?!

Just now, hoppman said:

I wore enough tube socks in junior high and high school to last me a lifetime. Also wore long socks to play baseball as well.

That means you were wearing your baseball pants the right way!!  😀

Exactly, head coach wanted the sanitary socks pulled up, pant legs pulled down and then the tops of the socks pulled over the pant legs so they would blouse out. None of this baseball pants dragging on the ground stuff, I probably would have tripped over them if I wore them that way.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in as long as it's to the courses dress code. I personally don't like the look, but it seems to be coming back into style now. 

IG: @albatrossleather  

https://www.Albatross-Leather.com

Current WITB

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport Champions Choice

58° - Vokey SM9 Raw  /  54° - Vokey SM8 Raw  /  50° - Vokey SM8 Raw

PW-4i - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro ~ KBS Tour 120

Hybrid - Cobra Dark Speed 3H 19° ~ Hazardous Smoke Black S

Hybrid - King Cobra 2H 17° ~ Hazardous Smoke Black S

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9° ~ Graphite Design Tour AD HD 70g S

On deck - (3W - PXG 0341X Gen4 ~ MCA Diamana S+ 70G)(2i Mizuno Fly-Hi ~ Graphite Design Tour AD DI S)

12 minutes ago, matt_puttercup said:

Lived in AZ from 2002-2006 during my undergrad days; attended Arizona so spent most of the year down in Tucson, spent summers at my Mom's place in Peoria; have played a lot of golf in AZ.  Hope you can get those early morning tee times!!  And if you do, I guess rock the comeback of the striped tube sock?!

... LOL, I'm a lifelong twilite golfer. 3pm all summer. Hate morning golf plus I would rather the temps be dropping my last several holes instead of rising. 🥵  I just bough 6 pair of no show and 6 pair of ankle Feetures socks, so tube socks will have to look good on the legs where they look best:

NC-golfers-in-tube-socks-from-Golfweek.jpg.4954643fdfdd85e2eaa0dd04b7a99a79.jpg

35 minutes ago, matt_puttercup said:

I was thinking the same thing for Florida's recent very hot, humid weather. I wear 'no show' or sometimes no socks - depending on the shoes. FYI the only 'no show' that worked for me are Bombas golf socks, as they're the only one that don't ride down. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Kids need to wear crew socks to distract everyone from their broccoli TikTok haircuts.

Coincidentally, I didn’t get the memo before ordering these last week. 

IMG_5330.jpeg

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Posted (edited)

I think wearing long socks and shorts on the golf course is a good choice. It provides a balanced look and keeps your legs cool while protecting your lower legs from bugs and sunburn. It also offers a bit of an old-school vibe, which can be stylish. If you're looking for some style inspiration, you might want to check out this site: https://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/wedding-tuxedos/ . They have some great fashion options that might give you some ideas on how to mix and match your outfits. I feel comfortable and confident in long socks and shorts. It’s practical and gives a neat appearance, which is important on the course. Plus, you can experiment with different colors and patterns to add some personality to your golf attire. So, if you like the combination, go for it. Fashion is all about expressing yourself and feeling good in what you wear.

Edited by Avenewera

On 5/14/2024 at 9:58 AM, Shifty said:

if they are covering up really hairy legs (yuck), all the power to them.

I would rather see hairy legs, than bicycle rider shaved legs, it just isn't natural. Besides, I don't pay attention to other people's legs. 

Ironic timing for this subject to pop up. I'm wearing dress shoes and socks to work and appointments and grabbed a pair of shorts just in case it warms up. Too late I realized I grabbed shorts, but I forgot to take socks that I would wear with shorts.  

It absolutely floors me when I see kids these days wearing black socks, whether short or calf length, with sandals. WE "older folks" used to laugh at the "grandpas" who wore socks with sandals and always said we would NEVER be caught doing that. I won't be caught wearing socks, of any color, with sandals.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

39 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

Ironic timing for this subject to pop up. I'm wearing dress shoes and socks to work and appointments and grabbed a pair of shorts just in case it warms up. Too late I realized I grabbed shorts, but I forgot to take socks that I would wear with shorts. 

... I keep an extra pair of socks in my glove compartment for this very reason. I wear sandals barefoot all summer once the temps get over 105* for 3 months and after forgetting to put a pair with my golf shoes a few times, I started keeping an extra pair in the car. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do not get this long socks with shorts thing. I remember in high school rolling my ankle socks over my heels so that they would be hidden (early 2000's). The only reason why my socks show when wearing shorts is because the back of the shoe rubs on my ankle. I think the reason for it now is to show off the brand of socks you have on.  The fashion statement is more of a status symbol than anything else if you ask me.

Edited by MEstep

Driver: PXG Gen 3 0311XF with XS - Tensei AV Raw White 65

3W:  Titelist 906 F2

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 11

4i-GW: PXG 0211 with MMT shafts

Callaway  CB 54*

Cleveland CG11 60*

Odyssey Works Versa Tank 7

Ball: Bridgestone E6 or Callaway Supersoft Matte Red. 

Bag: MaxFli Honors 14 

- Greatest Golf accomplishment thus far: Finished a round with the same ball

• 1 month later...

I wear mid calf socks and shorts. But, I came from a skateboard background, where no-show socks were never really cool.  I like the way they feel and think they look good. 

I remember having some short pairs though in the 2000’s and felt like they never stayed up unless they were brand new. 

I also remember how Mardy Fish wore them playing tennis and how easy it was to spot him.  Funny how things are. Did people like his style on the court?  Isn’t he a good golfer too?

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

Long pants equals long socks as it is cold out when I wear them. Once hot weather hits and I wear shorts, the shorter the sock the happier I am as I really need to work on my tan.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)