Making The Switch To Graphite

I'm playing steel right now but I really want to get back to graphite. I have a set of irons with graphites for my backup set, or for if my tennis elbow starts acting up again. My only issue there is the shafts are a bit too light for me at 50g. The feel of graphite shafts, for me, is far superior to steel.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Smart move Jamie... while you are young and are not being forced to change due to long term wear n' tear.  You know my history on the switch back in 2018.  Shoulder pain gone.  Elbow pain gone. Overall less fatigue playing 4 rounds/week and no loss in performance.  Interested to hear which make/model you choose.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... I don't know why everyone doesn't play graphite in their irons. For absolute studs, they make graphite in 125gms that are more stout than steel. Torque is relatively constant in a steel shaft but can be adjusted quite literally thousands of different ways with graphite. Watch the best ball strikers on the planet playing the LPGA tour an almost all of them have graphite in their irons.

... And of course they produce less wear and tear on joints so the more you play the more you will benefit from graphite. I just shake my head when I see someone playing steel iron shafts and wearing an elbow brace. 🙄  And top steel iron shafts can cost almost as much or more than quality graphite iron shafts so the cost argument evaporated quite awhile ago, as did "lighter with a higher trajectory" for older or slower swing speeds (although you can find new lighter graphite iron shafts that still do that too). But try hitting a Steelfiber 125 s-flex shaft with 1.4 - 1.8* of torque and those old myths disappear. 

The new Fujikura Axiom graphite iron shafts are as stiff/stout as steel in both the 105 and 125 gram models, and the Aerotech SteelFiber shafts have always been so …. Plus, both of these shaft models are so superior in feel (and consistency) to steel that there's really no comparison!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

11 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I was sent a couple demo clubs with graphite shafts and there is a feel/smoothness as well as ease that just feels great. After some discussion with the builder we are going to built a full set. Can't wait and think it will be a great switch that could help with some of the fatigue or weak shots.. full details and build specs to come in the next few weeks!

It’s something I’m considering as well because the practice facilities at our course  only have mats. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The fitter I am working with has a set of Accra shafts picked out for me.

We played a round and he sent two 7 irons afterwards with two different shafts. The heads were different so it took a bit to dial in the numbers but we found a good fit! 

Accra ICWT 75 were the #1 spot at my fitting but they were almost twice the cost of the MMT's and the dispersion, while better, not worth the cost difference for me.  Also, at that time, I did not like their excessive graphics and custom colors were even more money.  That said, I've heard nothing but great reviews about their shafts. 

Presuming you tested on a LM, did you see any added distance and/or reduced dispersion with the Accra?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

5 hours ago, MissionMan said:

It’s something I’m considering as well because the practice facilities at our course  only have mats. 

I will say that even hitting off of mats with graphite, I'd still get a jolt at times. Thankfully I have multiple places around my home and work where I can hit off of grass. If it's mats only, I try and stick with driver and fairways/hybrids which I tend to hit with more of a sweeping motion (and all have graphite shafts as well).

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Following along to see what the final specs are. I made the switch from the heavy xstiff steel shafts to MMT 125TX and they have been great. Definitely feel smoother than an x100 and I have noticed after a range session on mats there is not elbow or wrist pain for me. I swing my 6 iron about 97-100 and in no way has graphite been “loose” or “whippy” as so many have the perception of. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX or Srixon ZX 2 Iron - ADDI 105X

Irons:  :titelist-small: T200/T100S Black 4-AW - MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.10S & 58.04T MMT 125TX (Soon to Test Toura Wedges with MMT 125TX)

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I have multiple sets of irons and have both graphite and steel stepless shafts. I like the weight of the stepless shafts but I have recently tried an experiment that I am liking a lot. I put graphite shafts in a set of muscle back irons but cut them down 1/2 inches. I then added lead tape to get the swing weight back to where it was at the longer length. The light weight of the graphite shaft coupled with the heavier weight of the club head allows me to feel the club head more as I am swinging. I’m a little more accurate but as with any new thing in golf, I will need to wait for the “newness” effect to pass to see if it holds up. 

Master club builder and golf instructor 

Graphite or steel?  I think there are arguments for both and would say go get a fitting.  I always liked a heavier steel shaft in my irons (135gram), then I went down to PXG Boston for an iron and driver fitting.  The results were amazing! The 2 iron shafts that fit me best were the DG Tour Issue 120 stiff flex and then the SteelFiber i95 Private Reserve.  Distance was about the same but the dispersion was better on the SteelFiber.  They feel "smoother" and I am so glad to have gone with them.  Just remember that not every shaft is for everyone, what work for me may not work for you.  A great example of this was the guy in the next bay during my fitting that had roughly the same swing number as me had the opposite results, the DG Tour Issue 120's gave him the better results.  So basically if you are going for a fitting, go in open minded and try both.    

Driver: PXG Black Ops 10.5 (small +) HZRDUS Black Gen 4 6.0

3 Wood TM QI10, 5 Wood TM Stealth 2, 9 Wood TM Stealth 2 (both with MCA Kai'li Blue 70, S-flex) 

Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 (25 degree) MCA Diamana S-flex

Irons: PXG 0317T SteelFiber i95 Private Reserve S Flex

Wedges: PXG 0317T (51 degree), PXG Forged (55 and 60 degree) 

Putter: Bettinardi 2019 Studio Stock 2 MCA MMT Putter or Meridian Tybee

I moved to graphite iron shafts last year to take the stress off my joints and enable me to practice more at the range (I’m 66 years old and was getting pretty sore after range sessions).  I wasn’t necessarily expecting my iron game to get much better.  I was playing 105 gram KBS steel shafts and got fitted for 52 gram Veylix Alpina shafts which blew my mind.  But, the results have spoken for themselves - my iron play has been stellar - and I broke 70 three times late last year.

i would recommend graphite iron shafts to almost everyone.

Titleist C-16 irons and woods

JP Golf GW, PW and SW

Gene Nead Putter

I was having difficulty with the shot that went way left when I tried to put a bit extra into it.

The club fitter at the range I was practicing at suggested a stiff graphite shaft instead of the steel regular shafts I had. The graphite shafts were just as easy to swing, gave me the same distance as the regular steel shaft and gave me a much smaller disbursement. I was sold and switched nearly a year ago and haven't looked back. 

I was introduced to Graphite when I picked up a set in 2018 to learn golf. They were mint condition Hippo irons with John Daly's signatures on them. They were regular flex and even after using them for a few years they are as good as new.

Today I use the Takomo 201s with stiff shafts, which is their own brand - Obsidian. Love the feel of these clubs.

I am not a fan of steel shafts

Driver - Ping 430Max

Fairway Woods - Taylor Made 3&5

Irons - Takomo 201s

Wedges - Takomo Skyforgers

Putter - Odyssey Ai One CH

Switched to Axiom 125 from PX LZ6.5 on a set of zx7s.  Sw D5.  The shafts have added some height to my ball flight and it feels so smooth at impact. The tip of the shaft feels more stout and has helped me hit a little fade again; the LZs produced more of a draw bias for my swing.  No loss of distance with the switch.  I didn’t love the axioms in my pitching wedge and do not have them for my other wedges either. 

NS

My swing speed is slower than it used to be, and I now have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. Just changed from 115g steel shafts to 75g graphite. Took a few weeks to get used to the change, but now I am really enjoying them.

Driver  Titleist tsi 1, shaft cut fown .75”

titleist tsi 1 4 hybrid

callaway 16.5 degree fairway wood

Taylormade p790 irons 5-PW with graphite shafts 65g in regular, -0.5 in length, 2 degree upright and midsize tour velvet grips

50, 54, 58 degree titleist sm9 wedges

taylormade spider putter

I think a switch to graphite shafts is a must. However, it all depends on each individual and is not to be taken lighthearted. The benefits could be game changing. This decision is one that blends into and MGS thread, getting fitted. To change to graphite isn’t an experiment you need experienced professionals to help you. My recommendation try before you buy. 

I made the switch following elbow surgery to the UST Recoil 90’s S flex. 
the fatigue and soreness I had experienced from practice became a thing of the past.

Im now 70 yo and have gone to a lighter shaft, 80 g regular but still are getting good results. I really like the graphite shafts in my longer irons. 

T Ross Bailey

I play a lot of golf. We are talking 350 rounds or more. My Elbows in 2021 got so bad I couldn’t play. Switched to graphite and zero elbow issues since. If you are on the fences, make the switch. 

Srixon ZX7 Mk II Irons 5-9

2024 Calloway AI Smoke 3 Wood Max with Oban Shaft

PING G430 MAX 5 Wood

2024 Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver with Oban shaft

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Putter or Many different Putters. Whatever is working at the time

Taylormade 2024 TP5x 

I have tried the graphite. I didn't do well. I believe the weighting options though of today may change my thought process. But for now im still cranking with a 130 x stiff. Now I have the fairway and hybrid in graphite and do well. They are 100g x stiff. There also great hybrid options like the GOST from Nippon and steel fiber from aerotech that I would try. They are graphite shafts that have a steel core in them. I'm sure it is a matter of time before I stop being hard headed. 

CREDMAN