2024 MGS Kingsmill Resort -Live Thread

8 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Alright y'all, Friday is in the books.  The River course showed us all the reason why the LPGA had made this a tour stop for many years - beautiful, challenging, fair, and the greens were GREAT.  Rolled true and (some would say) faster than Kingsmill 😉 

Only a few pics today, as I focused mostly on video, but that will need to come post-trip, unfortunately, as there just isn't time to give the edit its proper due diligence after all the fun - and that's the best part about this trip so far: it's F-U-N.  I didn't play WELL (90), but the laughter amongst @GolfSpy_CG2 and I in the cart, and the many, MANY high fives and sighs of frustration and more laughter with @GolfSpy BOS and @GolfSpy AFG was incredible - truly a round I'll never forget.  No birdies for me today, let alone an eagle, but there were glimmers of the golfer I think I am (and sometimes can be), which was super encouraging - a couple of absolute bombs with the DF3 really helped the round not get away from me - my favorite being the 20+ footer, where I fist-pumped and said "Yes! Saved A G-D DOUBLE BOGEY!"  - it was that kind of day 😉 

See below some of the highlights, including a BIG bird at the top of a "tree" (cell phone tower made to look like a pine tree that the bird had built a nest in), and the slightly smaller bird who was attempting to pick a fight - seems like there's a metaphor in there somewhere, but I'll leave it to someone smarter/less tired to figure it out 🙂

Also - please see last series of photos, where I discovered (to my legit horror, mind you) that that Got DAMN @Yellow Ball apparently knows no bounds.  You will be found, and you will be dealt with accordingly.

IMG_5861.JPG

(trying to gauge the speed of these greens.  Here's a hint:  hit it less than you think.)

IMG_5865.JPG( @GolfSpy BOS debating whether to use the Link again while in his backstroke.)

IMG_5870.JPG

(After hitting five that close, apparently there's time to check your phone)

IMG_5874.JPG

( @sirchunksalot dialing it in)

IMG_5879.JPG(

(might be my favorite shot so far of the trip - there were multiple of these tunnels you had to drive through to get to certain holes, and this one led to the Par 3 5th hole, where Adam (THE Adam Beach, from MGS HQ) was set up on the Closest to the Hole challenge.  Just a really beautiful set-up, and a pretty challenging hole.)

IMG_5885.JPG

( @GolfSpy_APH launching it on the Par 3 13th.  Based on the trajectory here and his follow through, 99% sure it was a hole in one. Cough.)

IMG_5890.JPG

(Big bird in nest, on the lookout for the a-hole who kept attacking the nest)

IMG_5893.JPG

(see above re: "a-hole" 🙂 )

IMG_5908.JPG

( @GolfSpy AFG getting ready to hit into the group ahead, because they would NOT get off his lawn)

IMG_5909.JPG(But seriously, LOOK AT THIS HOLE!!! Stunning.  16th at River.)

IMG_5911.JPG

(historic cannon next to the tee boxes (to the right, not pictured) on 17.  Wishing this was the closest to the hole challenge, as it's easily the best par-3 I had all day - stuck to about 8 feet.  Don't worry, though - I missed the dead straight birdie putt because it wasn't actually dead straight and died 3 inches to the right. D'oh.)

IMG_5916.JPG

( @GolfSpy BOS wondering if he left the shower running.)

IMG_5920.JPG

(But for real - it's a really pretty par 3)

IMG_5921.JPG

(coming home.  This was a really, REALLY cool experience - all the carts of everyone who'd started earlier than us were lined up by the green, waiting for us to finish and rooting us on.  Legit something I'll never forget.)

IMG_5923.JPG

(Meh drive to the right, 7-wood nutted to the left greenside bunker.  I ALMOST got it out the first time (to some "cheers" from the onlookers), and then literally hit the stick with my 2nd attempt and it settled 2 inches away for a bogey.  It would have been an EPIC par and end to the round, but...c'est la vie.)

And now, a story in horror.  Let me set the scene: we've all had a great dinner, come back to the "hang room" for some drinks and laughs, and finally it's time for bed.  I pull back my pillow to discover THIS nightmare:

IMG_5926.JPG

Yeah, that's right.  Two of YellowBall's confederates (we're in VA, after all), laughing at my terror.

IMG_5927.JPG

(They got what was coming to them)

IMG_5931.JPG

(Only to discover that there was a GOD DAMNED THIRD ONE under the covers!)

IMG_5932.JPG

(I'll be burying this in the dead of night so no one is the wiser, but...I"m coming for you YellowBall.  And I brought my ball-cutters...)

IMG_5932.JPG

thanks for sharing... 

committed to performance excellence

Looks like a beautiful day for some golf and good banter. Enjoy everyone!

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

On 5/31/2024 at 7:55 AM, cnosil said:

Up a little early; a least to me, but others are already up and posting.  Getting ready for the first round at Kingsmill and enjoying the view on the back deck of the condo.

IMG_0268.jpeg.118f26b2daabdd26f9892d9d31a65170.jpeg

Royal New Kent was great and fortunately I had played the course many times before so knew where I should be playing too.   Didn’t help on the first tee as I snap hooked my tee shot into the long stuff and needed 3 shots to get out; probably should have taken 3 shots of something a bit stronger, and carded a 9 on the opening hole.   Couple of doubles popped up but shot even par on the back with 4 birdies.  Total strokes taken 80.   Time of round 5 hours 22 minutes per my ShotScope.   Never really held up by the group in front of us and never really felt slow but this course runs 4  1/2 hours minimum per round.  

looking forward the River course today which has hosted many PGA and LPGA tournaments.  

5 hours 22 minutes!!  😲  Holy Slow Play Batman! 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

8 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

After that devastating start triple bogey with my personal challenge to retain the $1 trophy from the first MGS Queenstown outing  against @Berg Ryman, I've decided to trade in my usga membership for a B.A.S.S membership PXL_20240601_100416387.jpg.d598ec85730a707eca88a61080dc41cd.jpg

4.78lbs

Dude!  Nice Bass!  You were allowed to fish in their ponds?  

2 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I believe you can actually fish on the property as we saw a couple people coming off the 18th on River to go fish but I'm staying off property.

Where's your secret fishing hole?

Looks like it’s been a great day for you guys. Lovely weather and course!

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft