Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

9 or 18?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• 9 holes
    • 18 holes
    • Yes to both! It's golf !

I'm a 9 hole guy 95% of the time. I usually play Sunday afternoons, and generally plan on getting in a 5 or so mile hike in the morning, which basically kills playing 18 most of the time. This time of year, with more daylight, I'm more likely to go for 18.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

Right now I am more in favor of 18. 9 is easier and you can do 9 in a time crunch. But right now, life is pretty open, and not many things taking my time up. So I like 18. 9 holes also always leaves me wanting more. Which may not be a bad thing.

Funny Golfer GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I love both, but as a walker who turned 50 last year, I find myself playing more 9 hole rounds lately. Part of that comes as the USGA changed the GHIN to count 9-hole rounds individually, which is nice. Another part is my particular membership. I can walk Avocet, an 18 hole track, only after noon, but I am able to walk Hummingbird all day. Once summer hits in South Carolina… I do a lot more morning rounds on Hummingbird, even though Avocet is the better course. 

Driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, 6I - 9I, PW, AW:  Callaway Rogue ST Max

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Satin Low, 54* Black High, 50* Raw Mid

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG 7S 

Balls:  Pro-V1 from March - October

Supersoft from November - February

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart circa 2004

Any type of golf is the best golf. A course nearby has 12 holes and I find that's a really good balance. It's about 2.5 hours max and then I feel like it's not just 9 holes....not that I would pass that up very often!

What's in the bag? 

DRIVER - Taylormade SIM2 Max, Extra Stiff Shaft

3 WOOD - Cobra Fly Z

HYBRIDS - Cobra F7 - 3 and 4

IRONS - Cobra F7 - 5-PW

WEDGE's - Cobra PUR - 52 and 56 degree  

PUTTER - Scotty Cameron - Super Select Newport 2

As a parent to a toddler, any free time is precious and fleeting. So I don't necessarily appreciate one over the other, I just change my approach to my round accordingly (e.g., walking 9 vs. riding 18, my wife getting to go out for a manicure in return or a girls' brunch, etc. 🤣).

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

39 minutes ago, MNUte said:

As a parent to a toddler, any free time is precious and fleeting. So I don't necessarily appreciate one over the other, I just change my approach to my round accordingly (e.g., walking 9 vs. riding 18, my wife getting to go out for a manicure in return or a girls' brunch, etc. 🤣).

image.png.67479a1b9dffd192321ff320f6fb3264.png.6aaacf85a253ffb4404b6c510060faa5.png

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Love those four hours or less that I get to spend enjoying the fellowship, with my senior buddies, three days a week.  My time to play a little golf and enjoy nature.  Even though at my age (78) and medical issues limit me to riding a cart.  Love the challenge.  Right now I have stepped away for about eight weeks letting my lower back rest after the epidurals.  Having injections in my hips when we return from our vacation.  No golf. Doctors advice.     

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

9 when I’m gonna walk (all depends on how the left foot and right knee are feeling).  The pace of walking is often key for better play days.  As most rounds are 18 and can be done in under 4 hrs it’s not too bad.  Those 5-6 rounds are a bear in the summer heat.  M like others I have to admit some days, the  last 6 can be a struggle so 12 may be a great compromise.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Right now, it's 9. I want to try to get out early and get back home on a saturday or sunday. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

1 hour ago, ChuckZ said:

Love those four hours or less that I get to spend enjoying the fellowship, with my senior buddies, three days a week.  My time to play a little golf and enjoy nature.  Even though at my age (78) and medical issues limit me to riding a cart.  Love the challenge.  Right now I have stepped away for about eight weeks letting my lower back rest after the epidurals.  Having injections in my hips when we return from our vacation.  No golf. Doctors advice.     

Good luck,  and hope that vacation helps you heal up!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

I usually play 18. But I enjoy playing 9 on occasion if I need to get things done around the house or in the yard, since I have the energy and time for other work. If I like to work on my game, I try to play alone and play 9. I'm able to hit a few pitch, chips, bunker shots or putts if there is time between me and the group behind. 

HDCP: 2.5

1W: Titleist TSi2, 9*, Graphite Design XC6S

3W: Titleist TSr3 15*, Graphite Design XC7S

HY: Titleist TSr2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOS

4-9: Mizuno Pro 918, Nippon Modus 3 105S

PW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F46-10

GW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F50-12

SW: Mizuno T22, 54-8

LW: Mizuno T22, 60-6

P: LAB DF2.1, 33", 79.5* Lie Angle

I really enjoy walking but 18 is too much to walk so I enjoy both because I can walk 9 for a nice relaxing round and then ride when playing 18. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

My typical week is play 9 Holes with a friend on a Monday, sometimes 2 balls per hole, a bit of practice etc.

Wednesday is Comp Day, play 9 holes. This Group consists of me at age 60, then mid 70's up to 93 years old. Sometimes up to 15 of us play, then have a chin wag in the clubhouse afterwards. This group also do general clean-up on a Friday morning, called the Dads Army.

Then Saturday is comp day, play 18 holes.

Keeps me outside & active, is very good.

WITB.

Tour Edge e723 irons, 4-SW, c523 Driver

TaylorMade Sim 3 wood, 

Cobra King Vintage Stingray 2.0 Putter

While preferring 18, I am totally good with 9.  Over the past few years I have played a LOT of 9 hole rounds alone… and have found them pleasing and joyful. I tended to pick times where fewer players were out on the course - and this allowed me to play as quickly as I wanted to - or - play another shot or two if I was working on something.  I love playing with my regular group, but… getting out there alone can be a fun and uplifting experience. 

Walking I often prefer 9 if it’s a long course otherwise 18. If it’s really hot I like to play late in the day when the course is emptier and the temperature starts to drop so then it’s only time for 9

Swing Thought: If you think, you stink

I used to say, "If I can't play 27 it's not worth going to the course" but I'm older now and summer heat takes it's toll. I still like to play 18 but if it's going to be a really hot (for Minnesota) day and there's high humidity, I'll likely play just 9 holes. Our course is laid out in triangles of three holes each so you can play 9, 12, 15, 18 or 21 if you want. You're back at the clubhouse every third hole anyhow. I often, like yesterday, play 12 holes.

9 was perfect for me today.  104⁰ outside, worked at the course all day, so a nice 9 holes with a coworker made for some fun and relaxing golf!!!

Much prefer 18. Usually cures the itch for a few days lol. In all honesty I’ve found I start to pick up my game now as the round goes on. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 w/HZRDUS Black smoke 6.0

Ping Anser 3wood

Taylormade Jetspeed 4H

Taylormade Rocketbladez 5-PW

Cleveland RTX4 56

Cleveland RTX 52

Callaway X Tour 60

Taylormade Spider GT Rollback

18. If I don’t have time to play a round then I would rather go to the range.

If it’s after work I’ll play as many holes as possible and skip through groups when needed and get in somewhere around 14 holes

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1