Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Solo tee times?

Just recently the municipal courses in my area have removed the ability to make online tee times for only one person  You need to have at least a twosome to reserve a spot on the tee sheet.  When I call some of the courses to make a solo tee time over the phone they still won't allow it.  This is so frustrating - it feels like I'm not even allowed to play the courses I paid to become a member of.

I've never had a problem with people joining my tee time as I know there's a good possibility for that.  Sometimes it works out really well because I meet a new golfing buddy that I otherwise wouldn't have known.  Also, I understand prioritizing foursomes over smaller groups, but it's tough to see a basically empty tee sheet and not be able to reserve anything.

Maybe I'm naive, and this is fairly common, but I don't ever remember having an issue with this in the past.  What do you all think?  Is this common in your experience?  Do you think solo tee times should be allowed?

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond
3-Wood - TaylorMade R9
3-Hybrid - Wilson Staff Fybrid
4-GW - Wilson Staff Ci7
56-degree - Cleveland CG15
Putter - Cleveland HB Soft 11

Seems to be the general trend especially with online booking systems.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I play a lot of solo rounds because I travel for work a lot. It can be a pain to book solo. 

My course I mainly play at when home only lets you book a solos online if a threesome is already reserved. I can normally just call them the day before and they'll just put me on if there aren't any single slots available.

Driver: G430 10k

3W: Sim2 Max 5W: Stealth Max

4H: Sim 2 5H: TSR2

6-7i: Zx5 Mkii

8-P: Zx7 Mkii

48, 54, 58 SM10

Lab Mezz 1

• 2 weeks later...

The course I most often play solo does allow for booking online, however there are a handful of other courses in the area that won't let you book a solo tee time online or through an app. I haven't run into any courses that don't allow solo tee times up to this point, but I have had pro shop employees who seem frustrated or annoyed when I call in to book.

The biggest issue in my local area is that it's impossible to find a tee time after work during the week, because every course has 2-4 leagues running in the evenings 5 nights a week. 

Edited by Hosel_Rockets

WITB:

:cobra-small: Driver -  LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: 3 Wood -  LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

:callaway-small: 7 Wood -  AI Smoke Triple🔹 20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

:taylormade-small: Irons (PW-4 Iron) -   P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

:vokey-small: Wedges (50, 54, 58) -  SM9

:bettinardi-small: Putter -  Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

Can you look at the tee sheet and see it is empty and then just show up and play? Also, what happens if you book for a twosome and then cancel one of the spots a day later? 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

If I am playing solo this is my routine.  I will get to the course a full half hour before what I figure the first possible  tee time.  As soon as the employee arrives, or right away I approach them.  I inform them I do not have a tee time, and that is why I am here this early.  I inform them as soon as you can take my money and give me a cart, I will be waiting on the first tee to hit my ball as soon as I am 65 percent sure I will find it.  I further inform them I expect to shoot under (insert appropriate score here(85 for me)) , and UNLESS I were to suffer a CEREBRAL HEMMORAGE and lose the ability to walk this morning, nobody will catch up to me.

This lets the course know you are PAINFULLY AWARE of pace of play issues, and that the "regulars" who perhaps covet the first tee time like they received it from the Lord Almighty via a burning bush, will have no issue with you.

The key OBVIOUSLY is to make sure nobody gets close to you as a single.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Since I love to play sunrise golf, most of my tee times are booked as solo but I have no issues with others joining me. Plus if I am alone, with a cart and getting into a good groove, I am done in two hours or less which I love.

Edited by jolter1
spelling correction

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

Pretty annoying to not be able to book solo online, I agree, however I generally look up the tee times online, see what's available, and then call the pro shop to reserve that tee time since every course near me that offers online booking charges an extra $3-5 as a 'convenience fee.'

Titleist TSR2 9degree

Callaway Paradym X 3W

Callaway Epic Max 5W

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4-PW

Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50-degree, Cleveland Tour Action 588 56-degree

Nike Putter

If this is at your regular courses, get to know the proshop people. Once they know your face and name a little better, you can look online, then call down and ask to be placed on it, even if it's with another two or three some. Let them know that is OK too.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

12 hours ago, Rob Person said:

If this is at your regular courses, get to know the proshop people. Once they know your face and name a little better, you can look online, then call down and ask to be placed on it, even if it's with another two or three some. Let them know that is OK too.

Good Advice @Rob Person when I rangered I would help the "usual" single golfers get their Tee Times during the busiest times of the day. They appreciated it and they got to interact and make new golf friends that down the road they may end up growing into a 3 some or 4 some.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, Hosel_Rockets said:

The biggest issue in my local area is that it's impossible to find a tee time after work during the week, because every course has 2-4 leagues running in the evenings 5 nights a week. 

@Hosel_Rockets This is another huge problem in my opinion.  There's a course near me that I enjoy, but there's 3 leagues on Tuesday-Thursday, and they take up all 18 holes.  Then Friday-Monday the course is just packed.  Basically need to take a day off work to get out there.

3-Wood - TaylorMade R9
4-GW - Wilson Staff Ci7

On 8/12/2024 at 11:42 AM, vandyland said:

Can you look at the tee sheet and see it is empty and then just show up and play? Also, what happens if you book for a twosome and then cancel one of the spots a day later? 

Yes, and they're good about that.  But I'll see some open tee times a few hours away that fill up by the time I'd be going over there.   And yes, sometimes when I really want to go play I just book a tee time for 2 and then tell them it's just me when I get there.  Not ideal but it'll work, until they start remembering that I do that every time haha.

3-Wood - TaylorMade R9
4-GW - Wilson Staff Ci7

1 hour ago, CM12 said:

@Hosel_Rockets This is another huge problem in my opinion.  There's a course near me that I enjoy, but there's 3 leagues on Tuesday-Thursday, and they take up all 18 holes.  Then Friday-Monday the course is just packed.  Basically need to take a day off work to get out there.

Yes! I have the same issue at a couple of local courses near me. I would love to play 9 holes a day or two a week after work, but it’s just not possible with leagues.

WITB:

:cobra-small: Driver -  LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: 3 Wood -  LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

:callaway-small: 7 Wood -  AI Smoke Triple🔹 20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

:taylormade-small: Irons (PW-4 Iron) -   P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

:vokey-small: Wedges (50, 54, 58) -  SM9

:bettinardi-small: Putter -  Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

36 minutes ago, Watty149 said:

There are some good tips here. If I want to play more golf I will have to play solo and like to hear how others go about booking solo tee times. 

You can't, for the most part.  But you can get lucky.  Call and ask to be put with a 2some in the time slot you want. Get there earlier than your tee time by 30 -60 minutes.  Check in. Roll up to the starter and explain you are waiting for your group. Ask if he will let you go out if there's a slot open or someone no shows.

This only really works if your course doesn't have a starter shack that announces your group/names over a speaker.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

21 hours ago, Watty149 said:

There are some good tips here. If I want to play more golf I will have to play solo and like to hear how others go about booking solo tee times. 

I've used GolfNow to book tee times for years whether I'm playing as a single or with a group. I recently purchased a GolfPass subscription and that gives me a $10 credit per month which I use to defray cost of one tee time per month. Pays for itself with credited fees and that $10 monthly credit. Good luck!

Still swinging after all these years

On 8/1/2024 at 9:59 AM, CM12 said:

Just recently the municipal courses in my area have removed the ability to make online tee times for only one person  You need to have at least a twosome to reserve a spot on the tee sheet.  When I call some of the courses to make a solo tee time over the phone they still won't allow it.  This is so frustrating - it feels like I'm not even allowed to play the courses I paid to become a member of.

I've never had a problem with people joining my tee time as I know there's a good possibility for that.  Sometimes it works out really well because I meet a new golfing buddy that I otherwise wouldn't have known.  Also, I understand prioritizing foursomes over smaller groups, but it's tough to see a basically empty tee sheet and not be able to reserve anything.

Maybe I'm naive, and this is fairly common, but I don't ever remember having an issue with this in the past.  What do you all think?  Is this common in your experience?  Do you think solo tee times should be allowed?

I don't know that I have ever had an issue playing as a single. Most courses will throw you with people but that's to be expected. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I’ll look at the tee sheet online and if I see some openings but can’t book as a single, I’ll just show up and say I’m looking to get out and happy to pair up. I’ve never been told no. I’ve had to wait 20-30 mins sometimes but I’m fine with that. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

1 hour ago, TAGolf13 said:

I've used GolfNow to book tee times for years whether I'm playing as a single or with a group. I recently purchased a GolfPass subscription and that gives me a $10 credit per month which I use to defray cost of one tee time per month. Pays for itself with credited fees and that $10 monthly credit. Good luck!

I used GolfNow and paid for a single tee time walking a quick 9. I paid through GolfNow then got to the course and they made me pay a small charge. I am now leery of using GolfNow. 

20 minutes ago, Watty149 said:

I used GolfNow and paid for a single tee time walking a quick 9. I paid through GolfNow then got to the course and they made me pay a small charge. I am now leery of using GolfNow. 

I had the same experience a couple years ago and haven’t used GolfNow since. They called it a “processing fee.” It wasn’t the “hot deal” it was made out to be when all was said and done.

WITB
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*
3w - Ping G400 14.5*
5w - Ping G400 17.5* (adj. to 18.1*)
2i - Wilson Staff Utility 18*
4i - Wilson Staff Utility 24*
5i-PW - Wilson Staff Blades (2019)
50* - Wilson Staff ZM (8* bounce)
56* - Wilson Staff HT (10* bounce)
P - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I ran into this last week and just called the pro shop. Still kind of annoying. 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

Same thing happening at the courses around me. I don't know what it hurts.  It's not as bad as booking a foursome and then saying some of the group bailed.  That happens all the time

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS 9* :projectx: LZ Blue Designed in SD 60g Stiff-Flex

image.png.dbc730be382654e44c7d2a48fa6eed67.pngJPX-850 5W 16* :Fuji: Motore Tour Spec 6.3 Stiff-Flex

image.png.9454767fdf9faf9965f7cd6c94d1c24a.png 0317X Gen4 2-Hybrid 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex or

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png 0211 3-Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex

image.png.e9d9c096f6e44154c947eaa8b0bd6541.pngPro 223 4-Iron Nippon Shafts Pro Modus3 Tour 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.3ec41f28452096d8fcdde969774ec768.pngMP-20 MMC 5-PW LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.ea5de508878d729c6e26f45fb78d76fb.pngPro 223 GW 52* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.25dc4d61c6e70541d98a681e1fade611.pngMG3 56* SB12 & 60* SB10 True Temper Dynamic Gold S400W

image.png.b81b08ab505111827d8b0cdc1bb93d14.pngO-Works White Hot Big-T Blade counterbalanced

image.png.8c023ed39f083a2d0f865ee72c27c8d2.pngAcross the board

image.png

43 minutes ago, Watty149 said:

That's odd. Haven't had such an incident in the years I've used it. I had an incident some years back where I booked a tee time and when I got there they wouldn't honor it because they had an event going. I called GolfNow and they refunded and gave me credit towards another tee time. 

Still swinging after all these years

My local muni's also do this, unless there is already a booking for that time.  Since I work nights and a lot of weekends, I usually play mid morning or so during the weekdays, so usually I just head down to the course I want to play and they can usually get me in right away without any wait.

I've also used GolfNow quite a bit and have never had an issue.  If I was asked to pay anything above and beyond what GolfNow charged me, and it wasn't in the listing for the tee time (I've seen courses around here state there will be an extra charge if you request a single for a golf cart), I'd call GolfNow and get it resolved and/or get my money back and play somewhere else.  

8 minutes ago, uli2000 said:

My local muni's also do this, unless there is already a booking for that time.  Since I work nights and a lot of weekends, I usually play mid morning or so during the weekdays, so usually I just head down to the course I want to play and they can usually get me in right away without any wait.

I've also used GolfNow quite a bit and have never had an issue.  If I was asked to pay anything above and beyond what GolfNow charged me, and it wasn't in the listing for the tee time (I've seen courses around here state there will be an extra charge if you request a single for a golf cart), I'd call GolfNow and get it resolved and/or get my money back and play somewhere else.  

I probably should have called GolfNow and atleast asked. 

1 hour ago, AP Major said:

I had the same experience a couple years ago and haven’t used GolfNow since. They called it a “processing fee.” It wasn’t the “hot deal” it was made out to be when all was said and done.

I been using GolfNow for bookings of pay at the course recently, I been getting better prices from the proshop when I arrive.. better savings.

Ex -- Rocky Gap Resort, Flinstone Md listed for 72.00 course offered it for 50.00 upon check in

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

I play as a single the majority of the time and the courses also won’t let me book a time. I usually just look online and find where there are a good amount open and just show up around that time and usually get out not problem. Granted I play in the heat of the day in Texas a good amount to do this. As someone who get a good amount of my golf in as twilight rounds after work in the summer and leagues are making that harder. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

15 minutes ago, ZackS said:

I play as a single the majority of the time and the courses also won’t let me book a time. I usually just look online and find where there are a good amount open and just show up around that time and usually get out not problem. Granted I play in the heat of the day in Texas a good amount to do this. As someone who get a good amount of my golf in as twilight rounds after work in the summer and leagues are making that harder. 

you can try www.lastminutegolfer.com

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

It seems like that's the state of golf right now as a single. I took look online and see if there are even any tee times available for 1 or more, then roll out to the local course since it's 15 minutes away. Otherwise I have to call and book since most of my local courses online booking won't take a single reservation unless they need to fill a foursome. Ahhh, back to the days when you could walk on and play 2.5 hour round. Most of the local courses I'm lucky to play 9 in that time. 

• Ping G410 Plus, 9*
  • TM AeroBurner 3W 15*
  • Ping G425 Max 5W 17.5*
  • Callaway Razr Tour 3H 21*
  • Srixon ZX5 5-PW, Project X 6.0
  • Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore Black Satin 48*, DG X100 Tour Issue
  • Vokey Oil Can 54*, DG Wedge Flex
  • Vokey Spin Milled 60* DG Wedge Flex
  • LAB DF3, 35.5", 67*, Accra Shaft, Orange. 
  • Jumbomax Tour Series Lg currently trying on the driver. Everything else has Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize which will be switched to MCC Plus 4 Jumbo in the off-season.

At my home course, no singles are allowed.  In fact, there's has to be a minimum of three players in order to book and/or tee off.  As a member, if I show up, want to play and there's no one on the course, they say I need to wait an hour or two until the next available spot with other golfers.  If I book for three and only I show up, I'll automatically be charged for the other two golfers.  

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie