Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Article from Titleist Blog (adj. to groove rule)

TWShoot67

Karlsson Adjusts to Grooves Rule with New Set Comp

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 07:25 AM PST

Titleist Brand Ambassador Robert Karlsson continues his return to form, having recently won the Commercialbank Qatar Masters on the European Tour. After a successful 2008 season during which Robert captured the European Tour Order of Merit and rose to number six in the Official World Golf Rankings, the lanky Swede missed four months during the heart of the 2009 season due to an eye injury. With the win and several other strong results since returning to competition late last year, Robert is back inside the top 20 of the OWGR. Always looking to improve, he worked with the team from the Titleist Tour Van during the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship on an adjustment to his set composition resulting from the new groove regulations.

Titleist Brand Ambassador Robert Karlsson looks on as Chris Tuten from the Titleist Leadership Team checks Robert's irons on the loft and lie machine.

Practicing and playing with the new 2010 conforming grooves in his wedges over several months, Robert has found that his Vokey Design Spin Milled C-C 60° produces a higher trajectory and shorter carry distance than did his previous Vokey 60° wedge. With four wedges in his bag as well as a long game yardage gap between his 18° 909F3 and MB 4-iron, Robert and the team decided it was time to fit him into a set composition with tighter yardage gaps while allowing for the requisite short game versatility.

Robert had been playing his MB irons with 1° strong lofts (6-iron at 30°). To bridge the gap between his 18° fairway and 4-iron, the team built him an MB 3-iron at standard 21° loft and adjusted his 4-iron back to standard at 24°. The remainder of Robert's irons were adjusted to 1° weak, with his pitching wedge at 48°.

Next, the team built Robert several sets of wedges to help him determine the correct models, lofts and bounce angles to meet his short game needs. Robert worked with all of the wedges in the short game practice area, hitting the various shots he needs for his game, and determined that a 53° and 58° set-up was ideal. Robert previously carried 49°, 55° and 60° wedges in addition to his strong pitching wedge.

Details on the Titleist equipment in Robert Karlsson's bag:

Ball: Pro V1x

Driver: 909D2 (9.5°, Aldila RIP 80X, 45″)

Fairway: 909F3 (13°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X, 43.25″ tipped to length)

Fairway: 909F3 (18°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X, 42.25″ tipped to length)

Irons: MB (3-P, 1° weak loft (5-P), True Temper Dynamic Gold SL X100, +1″ length, +2° lie)

Wedge: Vokey Design Spin Milled C-C TVD 54 (at 53°, True Temper Dynamic Gold SL X100, 37″ length, 66° lie)

Wedge: Vokey Design Spin Milled C-C TVD 58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold SL X100, 37″ length, 66° lie)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2 GSS (4° loft, 37″ length, 71° lie)

Grips: Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound 60R (Red/Black, 2 extra wraps)

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a lot of detail in that article. It just goes to show you how much time and effort is spent on making sure a staff player is fitted appropriately.

I really like Karlsson's game. Being tall, there are very few guys I can identify with on tour and that guy is one of them.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Weird, he went from 1* strong irons to now mostly 1* weak.

It is all about the distances. Those guys dont care what club they hit from 160. They just dont want any gaps in the bag.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

it is nice to see that even the pro's change the bag around.

What is the 9i PW gap? Not sure of the stock lofts. Seems like that may be a bit larger than the others.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

it is nice to see that even the pro's change the bag around.

What is the 9i PW gap? Not sure of the stock lofts. Seems like that may be a bit larger than the others.

Based on the Titleist website I would say his 9 iron is at 44* and his PW is 48* since he has 1* weak irons.

• SPY VIP

Based on the Titleist website I would say his 9 iron is at 44* and his PW is 48* since he has 1* weak irons.

OK thanks. I just wondered if the 9-pw gap was larger than the pw-53* gap.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I hear you though on the weak lofts. They do focus a lot on the yardage gaps which have to be precise. But, my understand was that most pros play strong lofts, which is one reason why you see guys hitting 200 yard 5 irons.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I hear you though on the weak lofts. They do focus a lot on the yardage gaps which have to be precise. But, my understand was that most pros play strong lofts, which is one reason why you see guys hitting 200 yard 5 irons.

I've never heard that, is it true?

Archived