Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Getting Serious About Game-Improvement

Tony Covey MGS

I am not any where near the HC level that you and most others that  have commented here but I wanted to share my experience on this.

Having just completed my 3rd season, it took me 2 1/2 seasons to kick pride out of my bag and work on shooting lower scores. My driver is a 9.5 degree R11 with a 44" shaft instead of a 7.5 degree driver on a 48" shaft. My irons are Amp Cells with upgraded X-stiff shafts. I no longer try to hit my 9 iron 150 yards. I am ok with hitting it 140 yards and straighter.

When I feel the need to just swing hard and kill some golf balls I just go to the range and swing as hard as I can. The display of slices and hooks I put on reminds me why I do not try to do that on the course anymore. Well, at least not as much.

Good Luck!

Ill just say this your spines not an axis and the balls position on the ground relates to none of your body its very hard for majority of people to get there mentally because simply theres no PHYSICS to quantify or be able to quantify it around. Just be careful in life be smart be your own student use lots of logic and look outside the realm of PIVOTS ROTATION EVEN LINEAR we can do other things besides that way far better unique only to us ironically that we can do nothing else can. Its a big Geometry shape world out there plenty of Physics out there in the world to lots to chose from. They all create Power or Force or Speed they all can create it in the same values if you chose the ones that you are best at well life changes it all changes. Some advice though when you do if you go looking for something different then a Tilted arch pivoting circle or even arc system and you find something far better do yourself a favor just keep doing it and keep it to yourself a huge lesson learned and simply say I AM NOT DOING WHAT YOU DO. Be nice walk away hell smile your ass off. Don't assume it will make you the greatest player ever you still have to go out and plan how to shoot your score BUT again your everything changes and the advice from others will get to you so you will have to deal with that by saying nothing and being nice remember their looking at planes paths and circles and or linear and you may not just being doing any of that. Its hard for a person to even process that last statement I know trust me but in my shoes I CANNOT EVEN PROCESS THE PLANE PATH PIVOT CIRCLE AXIS IN BODY THING so. BE JELLO.........................best advice I could have ever given if I could take it all back I would say only that BE JELLO even how you describe where I am at is worlds different then the terms used to explain Body motion and golf again IM NOT STRUCTURAL im all soft tissues in motion..... BE JELLO.... also I don't ever really stretch Ill FASCIA ROLL sometimes and I take care of my feet and hands very well now they are very special to all of us...

Ill promise you this IF YOU CAN FIND BE JELLO OMG ...............YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN IN YOUR LIFE THEN YOU EVER IMAGINED. BE JELLO IN ALL ACTIVITIES EVER SPORT YOU PLAY ANYTHING YOU DO BE JELLO.... Sorry but trust me that is the BEST DESCRPTION to help you figure out real human movement NON STRUCTURAL BASED..... The jello can still lift a ton of weight even when doing that workout thing BE JELLO as I am when I do some.

Have fun enjoy your life go find your BODY AND LIFE AGAIN you are not finding anything in these places at all there great for STRUCTURAL BASED PIVITOL 1 dimensional GOLF BASED IDEAS that have been taught for many years no doubt but as in anything there is always another OPTION OR MEANS OR METHOD TO DOING THINGS....

For example its like what NANOTECHNOLOGY is doing to the world its changing everything they could imagine In fact its changing even the laws of Physics PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THATS POSSIBLE. Well there not set laws and again the laws of physics were handed down by men NOT GOD and as all men do in time the change what was once thought to be law. if you think the laws of Physics are set and all there is your very sadly mistaken very NOT WRONG JUST MISTAKEN......

Enjoy your life BE JELLO.......Also stop arguing whos right whos wrong whats better whats best in a STRUCTURAL STATE PIVOTING BODY TRYING TO ROTATE AND CREATE FORCE IT WILL HAVE TO DO IT DIFFERNT EVERY 1 to 2 weeks anyways because the laws of physics they have chosen will not allow there person to do it 1 way for longer then that because they have a spine.....

Be Jello and Don't Fall that's the only law you must KNOW that applies to JUST BEING FRIGGING KILLER COORDINATED AND FUNCTIONAL.....

Ill just say this your spines not an axis and the balls position on the ground relates to none of your body its very hard for majority of people to get there mentally because simply theres no PHYSICS to quantify or be able to quantify it around. Just be careful in life be smart be your own student use lots of logic and look outside the realm of PIVOTS ROTATION EVEN LINEAR we can do other things besides that way far better unique only to us ironically that we can do nothing else can. Its a big Geometry shape world out there plenty of Physics out there in the world to lots to chose from. They all create Power or Force or Speed they all can create it in the same values if you chose the ones that you are best at well life changes it all changes. Some advice though when you do if you go looking for something different then a Tilted arch pivoting circle or even arc system and you find something far better do yourself a favor just keep doing it and keep it to yourself a huge lesson learned and simply say I AM NOT DOING WHAT YOU DO. Be nice walk away hell smile your ass off. Don't assume it will make you the greatest player ever you still have to go out and plan how to shoot your score BUT again your everything changes and the advice from others will get to you so you will have to deal with that by saying nothing and being nice remember their looking at planes paths and circles and or linear and you may not just being doing any of that. Its hard for a person to even process that last statement I know trust me but in my shoes I CANNOT EVEN PROCESS THE PLANE PATH PIVOT CIRCLE AXIS IN BODY THING so. BE JELLO.........................best advice I could have ever given if I could take it all back I would say only that BE JELLO even how you describe where I am at is worlds different then the terms used to explain Body motion and golf again IM NOT STRUCTURAL im all soft tissues in motion..... BE JELLO.... also I don't ever really stretch Ill FASCIA ROLL sometimes and I take care of my feet and hands very well now they are very special to all of us...

Ill promise you this IF YOU CAN FIND BE JELLO OMG ...............YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN IN YOUR LIFE THEN YOU EVER IMAGINED. BE JELLO IN ALL ACTIVITIES EVER SPORT YOU PLAY ANYTHING YOU DO BE JELLO.... Sorry but trust me that is the BEST DESCRPTION to help you figure out real human movement NON STRUCTURAL BASED..... The jello can still lift a ton of weight even when doing that workout thing BE JELLO as I am when I do some.

Have fun enjoy your life go find your BODY AND LIFE AGAIN you are not finding anything in these places at all there great for STRUCTURAL BASED PIVITOL 1 dimensional GOLF BASED IDEAS that have been taught for many years no doubt but as in anything there is always another OPTION OR MEANS OR METHOD TO DOING THINGS....

For example its like what NANOTECHNOLOGY is doing to the world its changing everything they could imagine In fact its changing even the laws of Physics PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THATS POSSIBLE. Well there not set laws and again the laws of physics were handed down by men NOT GOD and as all men do in time the change what was once thought to be law. if you think the laws of Physics are set and all there is your very sadly mistaken very NOT WRONG JUST MISTAKEN......

Enjoy your life BE JELLO.......Also stop arguing whos right whos wrong whats better whats best in a STRUCTURAL STATE PIVOTING BODY TRYING TO ROTATE AND CREATE FORCE IT WILL HAVE TO DO IT DIFFERNT EVERY 1 to 2 weeks anyways because the laws of physics they have chosen will not allow there person to do it 1 way for longer then that because they have a spine.....

Be Jello and Don't Fall that's the only law you must KNOW that applies to JUST BEING FRIGGING KILLER COORDINATED AND FUNCTIONAL.....

Interesting stuff. +1 for the screen name too!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Interesting stuff. +1 for the screen name too!

What he said ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• SPY VIP

Almost fortunately, I suppose, with all the work around the driver test, I haven't had much time to really think any more about this. Here's the really ridiculous thing...I can't shake the idea of permanence. My mind can't wrap itself around the idea that I can always go back to what I'm playing. It feel like crossing over to the darkside with no chance of return.

Odd.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Maybe go on a golf vacation without anyone else and rent some clubs and see how it goes. Worst case you shoot really bad but then at least you have an answer. Best case you shoot well and you have your answer. No matter what happens, you are playing golf on vacation!

Any of you that are improving your game, you can put it to the test on the Hurricane Amateur Golf Tour! We play at the best courses all over the east coast and our goal is to provide an unforgettable experience. We are open to golfers of all ages and skill levels. Check out our website or email us at [email protected] for more information. Thanks and continue spreading the word!

Check out the Hurricane Amateur Golf Tour at hurricanetour.com!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvMlrtbUsQ

Come experience the Hurricane Difference!

• SPY VIP

In my free time I've been obsessing about the idea of playing game improvement irons. I mean, I hate them, and worse yet, I haven't hit them well. Basically there's been no indication that game-improvement irons would actually improve my game. 

So why is that (I wondered to myself because my wife sure as hell doesn't care). Thick toplines, offset, bulk...I've convinced myself that these are the reasons I hit most GI irons so poorly. But here's the thing...I did have one decent round with GI irons last year, and the big difference between those GI clubs and most GI clubs was the shaft.

Most of the day at Torrey I pulled out of Tom Kroll's bag (C-Taper, X flex). While those irons are probably a half-flex too much, I certainly hit them better than stock. And that's the thing, visual stuff aside, maybe I don't like GI irons because in addition to design considerations, what most have in common are lightweight shafts designed to help get the ball in the air.

I don't need help getting the ball in the air, and lightweight doesn't work for me. Is it really that simple? Maybe more of us would think about staying (or going back to) game improvement irons if the heavier shaft option (which usually also means shorter shafts) was more front and center in the discussion.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

In my free time I've been obsessing about the idea of playing game improvement irons. I mean, I hate them, and worse yet, I haven't hit them well. Basically there's been no indication that game-improvement irons would actually improve my game. 

So why is that (I wondered to myself because my wife sure as hell doesn't care). Thick toplines, offset, bulk...I've convinced myself that these are the reasons I hit most GI irons so poorly. But here's the thing...I did have one decent round with GI irons last year, and the big difference between those GI clubs and most GI clubs was the shaft.

Most of the day at Torrey I pulled out of Tom Kroll's bag (C-Taper, X flex). While those irons are probably a half-flex too much, I certainly hit them better than stock. And that's the thing, visual stuff aside, maybe I don't like GI irons because in addition to design considerations, what most have in common are lightweight shafts designed to help get the ball in the air.

I don't need help getting the ball in the air, and lightweight doesn't work for me. Is it really that simple? Maybe more of us would think about staying (or going back to) game improvement irons if the heavier shaft option (which usually also means shorter shafts) was more front and center in the discussion.

This is great. I went to the range today and came to the final realization that I prefer light weight, graphite and a bit of GI. I'm done messing with anything but graphite except for my wedges. Done, done, done.

Also I do better with a shorter shaft. I don't care what the stupid wrist to floor says. When I'm playing well I drive through the ball with my legs and a slightly shorter shaft forces me to do so.

I'm going to ask a question about this over in the fitting section.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

The inspiration for this little project (which may not actually be a project)

Interesting topic and one that deserves some debate.  I play blades in my bag because that is what works for me and gives me the best opportunity to shoot a good score.....in my mind.  I went to Malaysia last year for a business trip and was offered the ability to play golf a few days while I was there at a course my company owns in the highlands.  I got a set of "high roller" clubs that consisted of a TM R510 driver, V steel 3 and 5 wood, TM RAC irons and wedges and a TM putter; which is not at all a bad setup for a loaner set.  Only issue that I had with the set was that the entire set was R flex graphite and well I play clubs that are a bit more stout than that.  Went to the range to hit a few balls before my first round and once I figured out all I had to do was put the club on the ball and swing smooth all went well and in the four rounds I played with the clubs I shot 74-71-69-76.  What I took out of the whole experience is that this game is played with the six inches between the ears and all the equipment in the world can't fix a bad mental approach.  My wife even joked that after those rounds she is shocked that I did not go out and look for a set of the irons and I never even thought about it since I had to work so darn hard to hit basic shots that they would not work for me long term.  I played well since I changed my approach to the game and took one less club than I would normally hit so as to not overawing and produce a bad shot before I even hit it, focused on hitting the fairway as a premium and not trying to be the long drive guy all the time and worked on putting and keeping the three jack state side.  That trip set the whole tone for my season of golf and I finally got back to a scratch handicap after hovering above a 2 for the last few years.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Interesting topic and one that deserves some debate.  I play blades in my bag because that is what works for me and gives me the best opportunity to shoot a good score.....in my mind.  I went to Malaysia last year for a business trip and was offered the ability to play golf a few days while I was there at a course my company owns in the highlands.  I got a set of "high roller" clubs that consisted of a TM R510 driver, V steel 3 and 5 wood, TM RAC irons and wedges and a TM putter; which is not at all a bad setup for a loaner set.  Only issue that I had with the set was that the entire set was R flex graphite and well I play clubs that are a bit more stout than that.  Went to the range to hit a few balls before my first round and once I figured out all I had to do was put the club on the ball and swing smooth all went well and in the four rounds I played with the clubs I shot 74-71-69-76.  What I took out of the whole experience is that this game is played with the six inches between the ears and all the equipment in the world can't fix a bad mental approach.  My wife even joked that after those rounds she is shocked that I did not go out and look for a set of the irons and I never even thought about it since I had to work so darn hard to hit basic shots that they would not work for me long term.  I played well since I changed my approach to the game and took one less club than I would normally hit so as to not overawing and produce a bad shot before I even hit it, focused on hitting the fairway as a premium and not trying to be the long drive guy all the time and worked on putting and keeping the three jack state side.  That trip set the whole tone for my season of golf and I finally got back to a scratch handicap after hovering above a 2 for the last few years.

I think I just had an "ah ha!" moment.

For the last two years I've been playing competitively, and I am always the short guy in the group. I've been looking for distance lately and have been scoring terribly. My game was always fairways and greens, stay out of trouble and make a few putts. I think I need to get back to that.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

That is true HighFade.  I am generally one of the longer guys in just about any group I play in and when I was playing four or five days a week I had the feeling that I could get up and down from anywhere.  When I got back to playing the game seriously again a year and a half ago I thought it was my short game that was lacking since I was having trouble getting up and down and making dumb bogies.  My early season trip showed me that it was not really my short game that was lacking, but I was just leaving myself in some awful places that you need career shots to get up and down.  Playing from the fairway more often took the burden off of my wedges and putting and made me a much better player.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Ha I was thinking about this clip this weekend pondering the state of my current golf swing

I make reference to this episode every time I talk with one of my sons.  Life would be so easy for him if only he would do the opposite of what he thinks he should or feels like he should - I don't believe that thinking has a thing to do with it. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That is true HighFade.  I am generally one of the longer guys in just about any group I play in and when I was playing four or five days a week I had the feeling that I could get up and down from anywhere.  When I got back to playing the game seriously again a year and a half ago I thought it was my short game that was lacking since I was having trouble getting up and down and making dumb bogies.  My early season trip showed me that it was not really my short game that was lacking, but I was just leaving myself in some awful places that you need career shots to get up and down.  Playing from the fairway more often took the burden off of my wedges and putting and made me a much better player.

There is such a trickle down effect to this game, isn't there?  I find that when I'm putting well, my short game and iron play suddenly gets better.  Why?  Because I'm not afraid of a slight miss, I'll make the 5 footer and I don't mind if I miss a green by going for the pin because I'm confident I can up and down from a tough, not impossible but tough, spot.  Of course I don't mean that I shoot at every pin but I'll go hunting way more frequently when my putting confidence is high.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 4 months later...

Okay T time to give an account. How are you doing? Have you abandoned the GI stuff yet or is it helping?

Inquiring minds want an update.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• SPY VIP

I've been meaning to post an update for quite the last little while now.

Short story is that things haven't gone well. It's been a down season so far, but fortunately (I suppose), there are some contributing factors beyond the general bit about me sucking at golf.

The ugly fact is that my index has actually gone UP nearly 2 points. That's bad, but like I said, there are some other issues that go beyond my game itself.

Apart from Florida in late January, I've played every single round this season on my home course. It's the most difficult in the area, and compounding things, it's in crap condition. Everyone is still missing putts because of bad spots on a handful of greens. 

The course didn't handle winter well, and unfortunately the superintendent, rather than be proactive in his approach, spent the better part of two months working of the assumption that if they did nothing, the grass would eventually grow. In a few places, he was right. In several others, not so much.

Conditions alone are probably good for a stroke a round - and that's true for most everybody at my club.

The course has been quietly for sale since late last year. In June or so, the course was sold and the exiting management doesn't want to spend a penny more than they have to until the new owners take over (9/1 or sooner). So unfortunately less was done than probably would have been in any other year.

The new owners have relieved the sense of hopelessness hovering over the club. You'll probably be hearing more about that at a later time.

The other issue effecting my game is a persistent back issue. I've had lower back issues for several years. It's been uncomfortable at times...and can be particularly bad over the winter months, but it's never had an obvious impact on my golf game. Some time in May I began to notice pain at address, and really felt like I was having trouble swinging the club. I figured it would eventually go away (the pain has always come and gone), but it finally reached the point where I had to cancel a weekend's worth of tee times. 

Final straw...time to do something about it.

I went to an orthopedist a few years ago and ended up with a round of physical therapy, but overall it got me nowhere. This time around I decided to take a shot with a chiropractor. Turns out I've got some narrowing in the lumbar spine that's causing some compression on a disc. Toss in some si joint problems, and well...anyway...

I'm about 8 visits deep now and all the stretching, traction, popping and cracking has helped immensely. I'm pain free on the course (I still have some stiff mornings, but nothing debilitating) and starting to swing like my old self (for better or worse). While I haven't posted a stellar 18 hole round yet, for 9 at a time I've been better than ever of late. I've been Top 3 in my Thursday night NET handicap league 3 weeks straight. The season has largely been a loss, but if I can work my way back down to where I started it will be a win.

As for the equipment.

The mini driver is a fixture in my bag. I let some bad thoughts get in my head during the club championship, but otherwise it continues to be nothing less than the most versatile and reliable club I've ever carried.

SLDR #3 and #4 hybrids remain in the bag. I've reached a level of comfort with them that I'd rather have 205-225 or so in that 195. So much so that I've considered getting a #5 as well, but I sometimes just need that longish iron in the bag.

Cobra Tour Trusty Wedges...not going anywhere until they wear out. I experimented with the gap wedge from the set, but ended up putting my 50° tour trusty back in the bag. Within the last couple of weeks I've picked up about 10 yards of distance with my irons. That's extended my gap wedge out to 125 or so, which has made the 2nd shot just a little bit easier.

As you know, I started with SpeedBlade in the bag. When my SLDR irons came I put them in for several rounds. I really love the way they look, and prefer the feel over the SpeedBlade as well. Unfortunately, they went in the bag right about the time the back problem really started to get unmanageable so I don't think I really know what they can do for me. Right about the time I started feeling better I went back to the SpeedBlade, and as much as I'd like to play something sexier, I really do hit them better (longer, more accurately, and tighter) than anything else I've played. 

It took me several rounds, but I stopped noticing how clunky they look, and if I ever felt inclined to but the Cobra Amp Cell Pro back in my  bag, I'd probably be intimated by them. I still love them. I kinda miss them, but the smart play is to stick with GI.

The driver remains a revolving door. It's not that I can't find anything that I like, it's that I like so much stuff that it's hard to commit to anything. The Nike VRS Covert 2.0 has seen the highest percentage of rounds this year. I've tried a few different shafts, but the Fujikura Speeder 757 is what seems to work best for me. I tried an Oban Kiyoshi Gold. It's a great shaft, but the kick isn't right for a quick tempo guy like me. On paper, the Kuro Kage Siliver TiNi should have been the best fit, but I don't know...just don't swing it well. Something in the profile doesn't bend the way I need it to. 

I've played the SLDR S a couple of times. I'll probably play take it out again soon. It too was a victim of my injury. I have an Oban Tour Limited in it, and it's nothing less than the best feeling shaft I've ever hit. 

The G30 got to me about the same time as the S, and while I did have a couple of good rounds with it, it too was probably a victim of my injury. Both will probably see some play again before the season is over.

Just because I love it, I put my Blue Amp Cell pro in for a couple of rounds. Original SLDR has seen some play, and I even dropped the Callaway Optiforce back in the bag for 9 holes as well. Both are very likely retired for good now.

For now I'm on the BiO Cell Pro with an Aldila Rogue Tour shaft. I mentioned that I never took to standard Bio Cell or +. This was the one I've been waiting for. I'm really working on hitting up on my driver (or at least getting to neutral), and because of that I've probably hit my best drives of the year with the club.

It's probably not all in the driver, but I'm happy to give it the credit. Along the way I've mostly taken the right side out of play, and the miss is a very predictable snap hook that happens when I get quick at the top. When the timing is right the result is a high draw...when it's not, the grass usually eats it up and I get to play my 2nd without taking eating a stroke or two.

Anyway...hasn't gone as well as I had hoped this year, but then again, I didn't plan on having a bad back either. Still nearly half a season left, and I'm playing better now, so there's still time to maybe show real progress.

dang....back injuries are no fun at all. 

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Not sure if I've asked this before, but I've thought about it a bunch of times.  Do you ever feel like having access to so many different clubs and shafts hurts you more than helps you?  Or is it pretty much a wash?

I love playing new things as much as the next guy, and am probably on the wrong side of the bell curve when it comes to buying and selling clubs.  But I can't imagine having that much new gear to pick through and decide what to play every time I go out.  If nothing else it would affect me mentally by thinking maybe I should have taken XXXXX out instead of YYYYY.

So my follow up question, what's the longest period of time you've went without making a single club change in your bag?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

Not sure if I've asked this before, but I've thought about it a bunch of times.  Do you ever feel like having access to so many different clubs and shafts hurts you more than helps you?  Or is it pretty much a wash?

I love playing new things as much as the next guy, and am probably on the wrong side of the bell curve when it comes to buying and selling clubs.  But I can't imagine having that much new gear to pick through and decide what to play every time I go out.  If nothing else it would affect me mentally by thinking maybe I should have taken XXXXX out instead of YYYYY.

So my follow up question, what's the longest period of time you've went without making a single club change in your bag?

Everyone I know assumes that the frequent changes are bad for my game...and they're probably right. 

Putter has changed quite a bit. Right now I'm on the PING ZING Karsten TR (was fit for it), but going back over recent memory:

TaylorMade Daytona 62

TaylorMade Daytona 12

TaylorMade SpiderBlade

TaylorMade DDL

Mizuno Bettinardi BC01

Bellum Winmore 707

Nike Method Concept

Nike Method Drone Belly

Radius Classic 3

Bettinardi Big Ben Belly

For the most part I tend to be relatively stable with my wedges. Generally when I find something I like I don't mess with it for a couple of seasons. Prior to the Cobras for example I had 3 Miura wedges in the bag. I'd occasionally swap one 60 out for another, but that was purely based on bounce & conditions (which is something more guys should think about).

While the job does give me the luxury of switching irons more than most guys, I tend to be relatively consistent there as well. From time to time I'll mix in something different, but more often than not, it's for editorial/business purposes. Last season I played basically 100% AMP Cell Pro. This year I've been mostly SpeedBlade (a few rounds with SLDR, but that's it). Before the Amp Cell it was Miura CB-501 for nearly two seasons.

Hybrids I've changed out at the rate of once a year, but I'm in a very happy place with the SLDRs that I have (and honestly, the job takes a bit of the gear whoring instinct away after time), so barring something really amazing, I'll probably ride out another season with them. The gapping is consistent, and I hit them well. There's no practical reason to change (not that practicality has much to do with any of this).

The Mini Driver basically replaced my 2H (I never carried a 3 wood). It's been exactly what I've always wanted from the 2nd longest club in the bag. I've resisted impulses to change the shaft, but IF TaylorMade were to release a Titanium model, adjustable or not, I'd be tempted to take a look.

The driver is always a revolving door. I've never been a particularly good (or at least consistent) driver of the golf ball, and for better or worse, it's the one club in the bag that I impulsively tinker with. New heads...new shafts, mix and match. I have issues.

Just as a fun little exercise, I'm going to see if I can list everything I've put in the bag at least once over the last several years.

Nike VRS Covert Tour 2.0 (KuroKage Silver TiNi 75)

Nike VRS Covert Tour 2.0 (Speeder 757)

Nike VRS Covert Tour 2.0 (Matrix 7m3 - 44")

Nike VRS Covert Tour 2.0 (Oban Kiyoshi Gold)

Nike VRS Covert Tour 2.0 (KuroKage Silver TiNi 65)

Nike VRS Covert Tour (Kuro Kage)

Nike VR Pro Limited

Nike  VR STR8-FIT

Cobra BiO Cell Pro (Aldila Rogue)

Cobra BiO Cell+ (GD AD-BB)

Cobra AMP Cell Pro (GD AD-BB)

Cobra AMP Cell Pro (KuroKage)

Cobra AMP Cell Pro (Matrix 7m3)

Cobra AMP Cell Pro (GD AD-DI)

Cobra S2

TaylorMade SLDR S (stock)

TaylorMade SLDR S Super TP (Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited)

TaylorMade SLDR (UST Chrome)

TaylorMade SLDR (Hiskei Wave)

TaylorMade SLDR (Oban Kiyoshi White)

TaylorMade SLDR (Matrix 7m3)

TaylorMade SLDR (Fujikura Speeder 6.2 TS)

TaylorMade SLDR 430 (Oban Kyoshi White)

TaylorMade SLDR 430 (Matrix 7m3)

TaylorMade SLDR 430 (UST Chrome)

TaylorMade R11s (Aldila Phenom)

TaylorMade R11s (UST ATTAS 2)

TaylorMade R11s (UST ATTAS 3)

TaylorMade RBZ2 (Oban Kiyoshi White)

TaylorMade RBZ2 (Matrix 7Q3)

PING G30 (stock)

PING Anser (stock)

Callaway Optiforce Pro (Fujikura Speeder 6.3 TS)

Callaway RAZR Hawk

Callaway FT-9 (Fubuki)

Callaway FT-9 (UST Proforce V2)

Srixon Z-TX (stock)

Adams 9064LS

Wow...that's a lot of drivers, and I'm probably missing one or two, but that's the best of my recollection for the moment. This could help to explain a few things.

And so to answer your question...will all the driver changes and iterations...2 weeks...maybe 3 without some kind of change.

Goodness that's a lot of drivers T.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Thanks for the update T.

I'm in awe of the number of drivers. No wonder you need a chiropractor. I swear by them and have a very good one here.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've played the driver game several times... It's about to start again... The SLDR has fallen out of favor. 39 drivers trying to replace the one that I just put back in the bag again.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've played the driver game several times... It's about to start again... The SLDR has fallen out of favor. 39 drivers trying to replace the one that I just put back in the bag again.

And we're supposed to be surprised at that number because...........

T I was home for half an hour and flipped on the golf channel.  They had some dr. talking about Tiger's back.  He talked about how some injuries were a matter of simple manipulation so here's hoping yours is one of those.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived