Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Plaidjacket's Bag O' Fun

There are three reasons I'm posting my bag today. 1) Bad weather has stoped me from playing. 2) I'm bored. 3) I haven't posted my bag on here before. So feast your eyes on this...

This image is the bag fully loaded and ready for action. I took the straps off because I use my Sun Mountain push cart. Walking is good my friends. Get out of the cart and improve your game and health. All of my irons are Wishon 771csi with Aerotech i80 SteelFiber Composite R flex shafts. I also carry 52* & 56* (bent to 51* and 55*) Wishon PCF Micro Tour c wedges. Awesome control and stopping power.  My current driver is the TM 14* SLDR I received from MGS and reviewed this past summer. I also currently carry an old TM 3 19* Rescue MID I purchased perhaps 6 years or so ago. I have a Cobra 4H 22* Baffler Rail H as well. Rounding out the bag is an Odyssey White Ice #9 340g putter. Quick story. A couple of years ago my old Ping Zing that I had used for 15 years just up and left me. Stone cold. I searched around testing a few putters. Bought a couple too. Damn they can be expensive. Anyway, didn't like any of them really. Then one day I was in Academy and saw this #9. It was only $39.95 so I bought it and have never looked back. This little cheap putter has won me more coin than I can count.

This second photo is a close-up on my clubs showing off my recent paint fill job. As you can see I'm also a big fan of Rocket Tour head covers.

Finally are a few more photos you might enjoy. Play well and often my friends and take it low in 2015.

20141231_112636.jpg

20141231_111703.jpg

20141231_113457.jpg

20141231_113954.jpg

20141231_115928.jpg

20141231_115854.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Nice set up all the way around. Wishon makes some good stuff. I just pulled the trigger on 3 Wishon PCF wedges myself. The heads evidently did not get shipped out before the holidays so I guess they will ship Monday. Funny thing I putted with a Zing on and off for 20 years and just switched myself to a Nike Method 003 which is similar to your Odyssey. But mine was free!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nice looking bag!  Wishon makes quality equipment.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I have the same headcovers in different colors!

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Thanks Stu. I'd bet you are going to love the new wedges. But get ready. These produce a lot of spin. At first it was a little bit of a problem for me. I've never been much of a spin and check type of player. I am now. I've had to adjust my game some but I've gotten used to them now. As a result I'm starting to toss the ball a little closer to the hole knowing the ball will bite after one or two hops. I've even purposely a couple of times flown one in past the stick and watched it back up. You're in for a treat.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I am looking forward to it. I put a lot of spin on the ball anyhow because I hit a trap cut especially with the short irons.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nice bag. I've always wanted to try out Wishon clubs. Two of the guys in a group I play with play Wishon irons and rave about them. They think its funny when they offer to let me try them (they're both right handed). Everyone's got jokes.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Nice bag. I've always wanted to try out Wishon clubs. Two of the guys in a group I play with play Wishon irons and rave about them. They think its funny when they offer to let me try them (they're both right handed). Everyone's got jokes.

Thanks. I've really been pleased with the Wishons. This past year I really had a golf transformation. Prior to me deciding to get professionally fit for clubs I had really never given much thought to clubs other than the big name brands. I used to mostly consider clubs like Wishon, Alpha, KZG, etc. etc. second grade equipment or "stuff" guys bought that wanted to build their own clubs or perhaps just couldn't afford a Big Name Brand. Custom fit clubs are not cheap. Nor should they be. I was ignorant for sure. Granted there are some EL Cheapos out there but I'm talking about first class clubs in design/engineering, innovation, materials, quality, etc. To use Tom Wishon as just one example... he didn't just fall off the ole turnip truck. He's very highly regarded in the industry. Additionally, and just as important is finding and working with an experienced qualified fitter/builder. Granted I have only had one true full custom fitting ever. (now I'm an expert. LOL. Not.) However, if you have ever had a true custom fitting then you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't then you owe it to yourself to have it done someday. I'd recommend a fitter that has 10-15 years or more experience. Mine had 30+. I have met and talked to some guys that have been fitting for say 3-5-6 years and think they are unqualified experts. Hardly. They might be experts running a launch monitor but nothing can beat a guy that's spent say; a lifetime at it. Experience is critical I believe. Just being proficient at blabbing all the "right" lingo does nothing for you getting a proper and correct fit. Try and seek out the most qualified and experienced fitter you can. Even if that means you have to travel some distance. Do your research and try to visit or interview a few fitters. Give them a call. Visit their websites. Have your questions prepared. Don't get in a hurry either.

Finally. Will spending the time and Money make that much difference in your game? Let me just tell you what it's done or not done for my game. I'll start with what it hasn't done. I've been stuck at an 8 handicap all of 2014. I started the year with my TM Burner 2.0 which I had fitted 3 years ago I'd say. By fitting I mean I had a young retail golf shop worker fit me. Mistake #1. He took some basic measurements, I hit off a lie board, and we used impact stickers, a clip on swing speed indicator, and tried a few shafts. He even asked if I'd like to hit a draw or fade. I'm not kidding.  That's it !! We even hit on the range with old yellow range balls. LOL He then turned in my order. $700 and a week later I received brand new clubs. Yes sir, I had custom fit golf clubs. Couldn't be further from the truth. Of course my new "custom" Taylor Made irons didn't cost any more than just straight off the rack. But that's basically what they were. Have you ever heard, "Buying custom fit clubs doesn't cost any more than buying off the rack". That line is a myth and used by retail stores to hopefully sell more clubs. Don't fall for it like I did. Custom clubs cost more.

I was professionally fit and received my new Wishon's (irons only) in late August 2014. Did my game improve? Not if a lower handicap is the measure. I'm still an 8. In my younger days I played more in the 5-6 handicap range. This year I'll get back there. Anyway, what was immediately apparent is my ball striking. It's more solid, crisp, and centered better on the face. My overall shot disbursement is much improved. I've added distance of about 6-8 yards. My new clubs feel awesome. Each one of them swing and feel about the same. They are all matched. My fitter initially took my old irons and measured all parameters on each club. It was amazing how WRONG they were. He did this not to demonstrate how much better his would be. But how wrong OTR and retail fitted clubs are. I had no reason to doubt him as we eventually had my new club specs to compare. And now I can see and feel the results. No comparison. My fitter is not a Salesman. He has all the business he wants and works by appointment only. I think of him as a professional consultant and craftsman. And now a friend. As most anyone will tell you. You can't buy a game. Just so you'll have an idea.... my new custom irons cost about $1600.00. 4-PW and two new wedges. I could have lowered my cost some with a different head design/brand or shaft selection. I also could have spent more. I tell you this just so you'll have some sort of reference. Was it worth it? Yes. I think perhaps that guys with handicaps like mine or higher get more noticeable and instant results from a custom fit set of clubs. Lower handicappers probably not so much. But I still contend, and regardless of your playing ability; custom fit clubs should be in every golfer's bag. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Update: When interviewing a fitter listen for his guarantee. If any. Or ask him. My guy said he guarantees his clubs. What did that mean? It meant first that he stands behind the build and materials (heads, shafts, grips, etc.) fit and finish. Second, he guarantees play-ability. If for any reason something wasn't right or if I just didn't like them he'd either adjust them, change shafts, grips, etc., replace them entirely or refund my money within a reasonable time period. 

Very well written and correct my friend

G

Archived