8 relatives of Jason Day killed in typhoon

Moecat

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/?eref=sihp

Australian golfer Jason Day paused several times to compose himself when he spoke Monday about the deaths of eight of his relatives, including his grandmother, in Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

"They found, I think, eight of our relatives. Six of them were children, and my grandma, and a couple more," Day said after practicing at Royal Melbourne, where he's scheduled to play in the World Cup as part of Australia's team with Adam Scott. "It's such a tragedy. I feel for my mother."

Day said the most difficult part was not being able to contact his relatives, many of whom lived in the area around Tacloban, the capital of hardest-hit Leyte province. The typhoon has killed nearly 4,000 people and left more than a thousand missing.

"It's been toughest on my mother, there's been no communication," Day said as he stood next to the 10th green at Royal Melbourne. "Everything got wiped out in the area around where my grandma and my relatives lived. The only way we could communicate with anyone was with our relatives in Manila through Facebook. They did the searching."

Day's mother, Dening, migrated to Australia from the Philippines 30 years ago.

In an earlier statement released by the PGA Tour, Day said he was deeply saddened by the deaths of his relatives.

"My family and I are thankful for all who have reached out with their prayers and concern," he said. "We feel devastated for all who have been affected by this horrific tragedy. Please pray for all who have suffered loss. Thank you."

Day is playing at Royal Melbourne as Australia's second-highest ranked player at No. 20. Scott is No. 2 and the Australians are among the favorites for the tournament that has team and individual components. The tournament starts Thursday.

Day, who has had a five-week break before the World Cup, also is entered in the Australian Open at Royal Sydney next week.

Bad business, one of my fave golfers - thoughts with him and all those impacted.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

It is good to finally read something where Day finally acknowledges his Filipino lineage. It was hard for us Filipinos to cheer for him before when in interviews even by Asian media, he would not really say anything nor answer questions regarding the Philippines or acknowledging his roots.

Sad it took something of this magnitude. I hope he does more about it as an athlete. Gasol, who has no Filipino blood donated $1k per point. Not much but it draws attention and gets people to give more.

My apologies for the rant. I am deeply involved with the relief efforts of a small volunteer NGO. I coordinate reports and whenever teams get back the damage reports are staggering.

I've also had time to meet several International groups that I will not name, but I will say it has disillusioned me quite a bit. Relief is big business for some individuals these groups employ.

I'm not asking for your donations but please choose wisely to whom you send your money to.

Glad to see that Jason Day won this tournament.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived