Worst equipment purchase?

Our Sponsors

With the PGA show this week and loads of new clubs coming to retail soon, I got to wondering what is the worst club or other golf related product you ever spent money on?

For me it was the Long Tom 2 wood. Even though it was cheap it didn't help on the course.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix.  It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

I bought one of these mothers in a lob wedge once. Then I sold it shortly thereafter. LOL  

From a long list of dubious purchases, for me it was the Feel Golf 73* wedge.  Using a full swing to fly high, to a spot 10 feet away wasn't a particularly useful shot for me...

Posted Images

Speed blades with Senior Shafts - long story - as it turns out though TMag cheats its iron shafts a bit so that they are actually weaker than advertised - I should be in a S flex with the Speed blades.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix. It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

Lol I've had many drunken purchases. Most of them were food though.

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

With the PGA show this week and loads of new clubs coming to retail soon, I got to wondering what is the worst club or other golf related product you ever spent money on?

For me it was the Long Tom 2 wood. Even though it was cheap it didn't help on the course.

I demo'ed the Long Tom.  Never felt good to me.  Sorry.

Actually, I haven't been too unhappy with any purchase, but if I had to pick, it would be the pre-2010 Titleist Vokey SW and LW.  Surprised??  Yeah, me too.  I bought these to replace my Ping Eye 2's.  They never felt that good to me, and I ended up going back to the Pings.  But that led me to the SCORs, so if I did like the Vokeys, I wouldn't have the SCORs today!  BTW, anyone want them??  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Jmike All I can say is it must have been a Hell of a lot of alcohol!!

• Like 1

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

It was like having to face my shame four business days later.  I think I actually gave up drinking for a week or two after this one and the rule going forward is my iPad and phone are taken away after 8 beers.

• Like 1

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 15* AD TP 7x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 18* AD MT 7x

PXG 0311X Gen 2 23* AD DI 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 5-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:odyssey-small: Toulon Madison Stroke Lab 34"

Hey!  I always wanted to try one.  Guess I didn't have enough to drink.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My worst by far was the Callaway FT-I.... I don't know or want to remember how much crap I got for that square thing. I vaguely remember thinking the square head would help with alignment or something like that..... Yea I'll go with that.

• Like 2

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

I bought one of these mothers in a lob wedge once. Then I sold it shortly thereafter. LOL

cleveland-vas-1.jpg

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

attachicon.gifcleveland-vas-1.jpg

I played the 2 iron in college and could not consider it since I absolutely killed that thing off the tee.

In the Bag for 2021

Hey!  I always wanted to try one.  Guess I didn't have enough to drink.

No you really don't.  It is kind of like riding a moped; it may be fun but you don't want your buddies to see you on one.

• Like 3

In the Bag for 2021

These came out just about the time I started playing golf.  Someone had a set and I tried them.  I thought they were pretty good; kinda cute in an ugly sorta way.

• Like 1

No you really don't.  It is kind of like riding a moped; it may be fun but you don't want your buddies to see you on one.

My wife and I ride a Honda VTX 1800C, so I know what you mean.  Every time we see a moped, my wife yells "SCOOTER!"

• Like 1

These came out just about the time I started playing golf.  Someone had a set and I tried them.  I thought they were pretty good; kinda cute in an ugly sorta way.

I just sold a 3-PW set. I always liked them. Good irons if you can get past the look.

COBRA KING LTD Matrix Ozik HD6

ADAMS Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

CLEVELAND GlideRail 20.5* Kuro Kage 80i

CALLAWAY Apex Forged 5-PW UST Recoil 680

INNOVEX Type S GDT 50* & 54* Kuro Kage 80i

ODYSSEY Tri-ball SRT 34"

I too have hit the VAS.   Unquestionably the ugliest irons ever made, but they hit pretty nicely.   

My biggest regret was selling my first set of Ping Eye 2's for the Callaway S2H2 irons which I never hit well from day one to the last day 3 years later when I sold them and bought Eye2 coppers again.   BTW, I was hitting those S2H2's badly when I tried the VAS and hit them better.  

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Nike CCI irons (non forged) - just rubbish. Sold after 2 weeks

RBZ 3 wood (non tour) - just no good off the deck at all.

Titleist 907d2 driver - bought for the name, should have tried it more. Cost me 25 yards!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix.  It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

A part of the downsizing for us was changing the Ebay, PayPal, password. No more late night orders, see the speed blades withe senior shafts, customized so that they could not be returned.

I was really desperate with my game this time last year.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

TM rescue and 4 wood...just couldn't hit those suckers worth a damn. Oh, and a bag cart...used it two or three times and it now sits in the basement mocking me.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

YOU WIN !!!!

• Like 2

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me: