Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

First look at a prototype club grip

Moecat

I recently received this prototype club grip from Harry Sewell of www.bestgrips.com

grip1.jpg

grip2.jpg

grip3.jpg

It's made of the same leather that Wilson uses for its official NFL footballs.

Installing the grip is a snap. All that is required is one wrap of double-sided tape, and you're good to go! When holding the newly gripped club - in my case, a lob wedge - here are some immediate impressions: the surface has a firmer feel compared to Harry's other grips, partially attributable to the deep pebble grain; there is a good amount of tack, if you like that quality; the grip feels fuller in the hands than the standard sized rubber grip - but not as big as a mid-sized grip - which is good for me, personally.

Visually, Harry's grip - no designated name as of yet - looks like no other. But it is understated, classy, and most important ... not distracting! Some may find the texture a little scratchy, but I personally liked it and got accustomed to it quickly. It's also my opinion that the stitching - whose pattern Harry copyrighted - doesn't send any unwarranted signals to the brain, but in fact serves as a good "reminder" to the golfer of how to properly grip the club.

During practice and on the course, I was impressed with the feeling of being in control of the club ... whether it be chips/pitches or full swings. I myself do not wear a glove, and even when my hands got a little slick from perspiration, there was never even a remote feeling of the club slipping from - or even within - my grasp. As with Harry's other models, his prototype uses the same rubber underlast that does a good job with shock absorption.

My only modest recommendation would be for him to consider softening the leather a bit as an option for those who prefer a softer feeling grip. For those who don't care for the stitching, he may also want to thinking about making the grip a one-piece model. To add some flare, it would be cool to see a miniature version of the white NFL football laces placed somewhere unobtrusive on the grip to signify its inspiration. Nevertheless, should Harry decide to put this grip to market, he may have another potential winner in his hands.

Big thanks again to Harry for letting me test this prototype! :)

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the review Morris. is this an off-shoot of GripMaster? Is he affiliated with that company in any way do you know?

#TruthDigest

I've got some stichback grips like those only in smooth leather. Fantastic.

TM SIM2 w/PX Green "Hulk" 6.5TX

Honma 16.5* w/Vizard Blue 70

Honma 18* (set at 20*) w/Aldila NV Blue

Honma TR20B 4 - 10 w/Nippon Modus 130

Honma 52*, 58* (bent to 57*), 60* (bent to 62*) w/Nippon Modus wedge shafts

Odyssey Tank 7

Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Archived