Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

On the Beach (Bunker)

Shankster

I used to be deathly scared of bunkers. Been upping my bunker practice and now I actually enjoy playing from bunkers. Ended up with a 25 yard shot that ended up 3' from the hole on Saturday. Those Cobra wedges performed well.

Anyone else "enjoy" hitting off the beach?

- Al

I congratulate you on your bunker play.   While its getting a bit better, I still use what a call a BAS (bunker avoidance shot).   When the pin is tucked behind a bunker and I hit a shot heading toward the pin, be assured it was an accident.

I don't mind being in the bunker, but lately I've plain out sucked in the bunker so that doubt is creeping in on my game..

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Some days I am pretty decent; other days I suck... just like the rest of my game!

LOL, sounds like my game!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I suggested to the USGA that sand bunkers be declared as ground under repair; they have not responded.   When the sheepherders in Scotland invented the game, they did not do so in a desert.   The game should be played as intended on green fields and not from the sand.

I suggested to the USGA that sand bunkers be declared as ground under repair; they have not responded.   When the sheepherders in Scotland invented the game, they did not do so in a desert.   The game should be played as intended on green fields and not from the sand.

Here we have goose crap instead of sheep sh!t.  The geese don't care; they go in bunkers too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am usually pretty good out of the bunkers. Occasionally I will play somewhere where the sand is just too soft for me. I don't like the really soft sand.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

My entire goal in the bunker is just to get on the green, maybe within 20 feet. I've never been able to practice bunker play much.

I have found that keeping my hands even with the club at address helped a lot since I tended to have my hands too far ahead before

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I enjoy hitting out of good, "good" bunkers.  When the sand is good and there is not too much then they are fun and its not a bad shot.  If you get bunkers with a lot of sand then you almost have no chance. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

As bad as my chipping is I would rather be in a bunker. That's as long as there is sand in it, nothing worse then a bunker will only 1/2" of sand

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I'm fairly decent out of the bunker, if theres no trouble on the other side of the green.  I tend to decel on bunker shots where there is a hazard or OB on the other side of the green and you know what that gets you...either another shot in the bunker or barely out.

I'm fairly decent out of the bunker, if theres no trouble on the other side of the green. I tend to decel on bunker shots where there is a hazard or OB on the other side of the green and you know what that gets you...either another shot in the bunker or barely out.

Did both of these last week. Water on the other side of the green which sloped towards the water. Decelerated and had another chance to try the shot again, only this time a yard closer to the water in the bunker. Decided to just go all in and what do you know, the ball came out and was a few feet from the pin. Should of done that the first time, lol

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I enjoy hitting out of good, "good" bunkers. When the sand is good and there is not too much then they are fun and its not a bad shot. If you get bunkers with a lot of sand then you almost have no chance.

Or the bunkers that have 1/2" of sand then your club digs into clay....

As long as there's enough sand I don't mind it. Still working on the downhill lie in the bunker without being on the other side of the green for the next shot

LOL

I used to really like to hit out of fairway bunkers, home course had a lot of fairway bunkers so I practiced it a lot.  After they let most of them fill in with grass I slacked and it isn't as much fun anymore  :D

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

My bunker game isnt bad but I also don't hit it into bunkers often. I might hit a ball into a greenside bunker 3 times a month. It amazes me how on tour it is considered some of the easiest shots they hit and they know exactly what it will do out of the bunker. That's probably what keeps my bunker game from being very good is knowing when it will spin or run out.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I love bunkers 👍 I don't love being in them, but I love getting a chance to play from a "good" bunker with actual beach sand or crushed shells. A lot of times I would rather be in a green side bunker then short sided in the grass. If you understand how a bunker is supposed to be played then it is easy. If you need tips just start a thread or ask me direct.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I love bunkers I don't love being in them, but I love getting a chance to play from a "good" bunker with actual beach sand or crushed shells. A lot of times I would rather be in a green side bunker then short sided in the grass. If you understand how a bunker is supposed to be played then it is easy. If you need tips just start a thread or ask me direct.

Cheers

Burk

Post up tips here if you want! That's why I started it.

- Al

Playing out of bunkers is the best (and only good) part of my game - provided it's soft sand and not the concrete stuff.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My bunker game isnt bad but I also don't hit it into bunkers often. I might hit a ball into a greenside bunker 3 times a month. It amazes me how on tour it is considered some of the easiest shots they hit and they know exactly what it will do out of the bunker. That's probably what keeps my bunker game from being very good is knowing when it will spin or run out.

Considering how often you end up in a bunker, not sure how much you'd practice but the closer to the ball you hit in the sand the more it spins (seems obvious but took me a while to figure it out). I practice the explosion shot- 2" or so behind the ball and rolls out, as well as not exactly picking it clean but opening the face up and trying to hit just behind the ball and get a little sand. Usually can get some decent spin on it

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Post up tips here if you want! That's why I started it.

- Al

Step one Al is to practice when you can. Whether it is at a practice bunker or one on the course if no one is behind you. People have to get out of the mindset of trying to hit the ball (exception is a fairway bunker shot) in greenside bunkers.

1. Draw a line in the sand to simulate where the ball would be (I usually am the line 5-6 ft long so I can make several swings.

2. Draw another line parallel about 2 inches behind the first line (this is point of entry simulation).

3. Then set the wedge with face slightly open in the sand and leading edge square to the second line.

4. Now take your grip and set your feet open at a 45 degree to the lines you drew.

5. If you do the first four steps correctly you can make a half to 3/4 swing and correctly execute a basic greenside bunker shot.

The idea is to have the leading edge of your wedge enter the sand at the first line. This will allow the wedge to slide under the second line (where the imaginary ball is) exploding the sand to propel the ball up and out. After you feel comfortable you could place some balls in a row about 6 inches apart (and draw the line for point of entry). For basic greenside bunker escapes this drill works great. 👍👌🤘😁

Cheers

Burk

Man I should start a YouTube page maybe.......

Or the bunkers that have 1/2" of sand then your club digs into clay....

As long as there's enough sand I don't mind it. Still working on the downhill lie in the bunker without being on the other side of the green for the next shot

Tough shot. You have to get steep with those and the will not spin.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I don't mind the sand.  I'm not that precise but can typically get it on the green.  I'd actually rather be in the greenside bunker than have a delicate chip just off the green  (but with practice I hope to change that).  Fairway bunkers, now that's another story!

As I noted previously, I am getting better out of bunkers, but I was so bad, it would be difficult to get worse.   When I am in a sand bunker, I still suggest that someone video me and we will split the prize from the "World's Funniest Videos".    I can look like the Aflac duck.   That said, my improvement can be attributed to two factors.   Before leaving a lesson, my instructor and I visit the practice bunker.   And, two, my instructor ordered a sand wedge for me based on the specs he thought best for me.   He likewise is trying to teach me how to use that wedge outside of a bunker as well.

I would take just about any bunker shot over a pitch shot off a tight lie any day.  I learned from a young age how to play bunker shots and consider it one of the strengths of my game.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Archived