Does anyone walk anymore?

Our Sponsors

My golfing buddy has a cart so only if we are not playing together do i walk with a push cart.

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie)taylormade rsi 1 7 iron through aw, vokey sm5 54 and vokey sm4 58 standard length and lie

b. Driver specs (loft/flex)taylormade m2 reg flex fujikura pro 70 shaft out of m1 3 wood

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed)right

d. Where You Live waterloo iowa

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score 15 hdcp

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more rel

Rule breaker...

I’ve started walking this season. I hadn’t since moving to Florida 14 years ago. I was tired at first but now it’s a piece of cake. I honestly forgot how much fun it was to walk. I may have to bac

Posted Images

Do you find a difference with the thin air?

I did when I first moved to Denver a few years ago but once you get acclimated to the air, it becomes a non-issue.  

- Jarrod

What's In My Bag, as of May 2017:

Driver:  Tour Edge E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rouge Black 60S

Woods:  Titleist 906F 15 degree and 18 degree w/ Aldila NV 65S in both

Irons:  Calloway Apex Pros 3i - PW w/ Veylix Alpina 673S

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 54 and 60 degree w/ True Temper S300

Putter:  Ping Cadence Ketesh Traditional 35 Inches

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Follow me @chuckstunnings

After the State Championships are over at my course on Wednesday, I'll be putting on the umbrella on my push cart.  97* today!!

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am pretty impressed that there are so many people that still walk courses when they play, and the fact that it seems the majority of the courses allow you to walk or give you a cheaper rate.

Do any of you notice a drastic difference in the quality of the courses that you walk compared the the courses that require a cart? Maybe this is unique to my neck of the woods, but it seems that the public courses that allow you to walk or give you a break in the rate for walking around me are the older courses that have become a little rough around the edges. You know, the courses that have 1 bunker for an entire 18 holes since grass has overtaken the rest of them, or the ones that look like a converted pasture with only have two cuts of grass - rough/fairway (which I just consider all fairway so I can say I hit a perfect 14/14 FIRS for my round) and green. And even some of those courses don't provide that much of a break for walking - the cart is either built into the price already or it is maybe $5 cheaper to walk. Most of the nicer, well maintained courses with some semblance of creativity and design in my area don't allow you to walk. And I live in Southern Michigan, so we don't have rolling hills and crazy elevation changes or anything like that going on, so it's no like the courses wouldn't be walkable.

Curious to see if you guys find that to be true in other states as well, or if I am just crazy.

All that being said, I like to consider myself a hybrid walker on the courses I play since most require a cart. From time to time I make my playing partner drive the cart up to the green and I will walk from my second shot up to the green before jumping in the cart to get to the next hole. Especially after hitting a bad shot- I just seem to be able to clear the bad shots out a little better walking to the next shot instead of racing there in the cart.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I am pretty impressed that there are so many people that still walk courses when they play, and the fact that it seems the majority of the courses allow you to walk or give you a cheaper rate.

Do any of you notice a drastic difference in the quality of the courses that you walk compared the the courses that require a cart? Maybe this is unique to my neck of the woods, but it seems that the public courses that allow you to walk or give you a break in the rate for walking around me are the older courses that have become a little rough around the edges. You know, the courses that have 1 bunker for an entire 18 holes since grass has overtaken the rest of them, or the ones that look like a converted pasture with only have two cuts of grass - rough/fairway (which I just consider all fairway so I can say I hit a perfect 14/14 FIRS for my round) and green. And even some of those courses don't provide that much of a break for walking - the cart is either built into the price already or it is maybe $5 cheaper to walk. Most of the nicer, well maintained courses with some semblance of creativity and design in my area don't allow you to walk. And I live in Southern Michigan, so we don't have rolling hills and crazy elevation changes or anything like that going on, so it's no like the courses wouldn't be walkable.

Curious to see if you guys find that to be true in other states as well, or if I am just crazy.

All that being said, I like to consider myself a hybrid walker on the courses I play since most require a cart. From time to time I make my playing partner drive the cart up to the green and I will walk from my second shot up to the green before jumping in the cart to get to the next hole. Especially after hitting a bad shot- I just seem to be able to clear the bad shots out a little better walking to the next shot instead of racing there in the cart.

There are no courses in my area that require a cart.  Most courses are very walkable; a couple are tough walking but many do it.  Price of carts are typically $15/seat.  A cart comes with my membership and my wife and I ride on the weekend, but I walk during the week.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't much but I'm in the market for a push cart so it'll force me to walk more

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Most courses I play (aside from the really high end ones, where most have complimentary valet), carts are extra. I rarely ride so couldn't be sure but probably 15-20 for a round or so

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ha, the place I volunteer at .. and so play most often .. used to be called "The Cow Pasture" - it literally was! New guy took over several years ago and put a lot of effort into making it nicer, tho it still has that 'natural' look ;-) a few rough patches, and mostly those two cuts you'd mentioned. But it's fun.

Anyway, I always walk there and other courses I go. Exception would be if playing 18 with the wife and she ran a few miles that morning and wants to ride that day, or at a club where it's required - but that's infrequent.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

The only time I even consider riding is if there are no restrictions on the carts, following paths in carts totally removes any feel for the design of the course and it's character in my opinion.

• Like 1

If anyone figures out this putting lark, message me immediately!

I always walk unless its a ridiculously long and hilly course. Better feel of what your doing.

• Like 2

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

The only time I take a cart...

1) if it's insanely hot outside

2) if the course is too hilly to walk

3) if I'm in a hurry and need to play fast

Generally I get out and play about 5 holes every Saturday morning super early (6 AM) for a bit of practice and I always walk.  The course is quiet and I'm out before the grounds keeping crews hit the course.  It gives me time to relax, practice several different shots and get my mind off everything else.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes walking is great! It's exercise and typically a third cheaper per round. I bought a clic gear cart and it's so simple now. The challenge is convincing your friends to buy a cart as well....those lazy a's.

• Like 1

Interesting day today at the course. We normally have a lot of walkers of all ages as the course isn't that long and there are only a few hills which I would consider a climb. I've only walked the course and find it a good walk.

All that being said it was a nice day and the weather started to get hot for here and absolutely everyone took a cart and avoided having to walk. Even ppl finishing 9 were coming in asking for a cart. For reference it was 24C so 76F.

Does anyone else find weather plays a big part in whether they take a cart or not? Or what is too hot for walking?

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

Interesting day today at the course. We normally have a lot of walkers of all ages as the course isn't that long and there are only a few hills which I would consider a climb. I've only walked the course and find it a good walk.

All that being said it was a nice day and the weather started to get hot for here and absolutely everyone took a cart and avoided having to walk. Even ppl finishing 9 were coming in asking for a cart. For reference it was 24C so 76F.

Does anyone else find weather plays a big part in whether they take a cart or not? Or what is too hot for walking?

I walked my course yesterday and even though it was 90 degrees, humidity was low and we some breeze so I was never uncomfortable.

But once the humidity kicks in and it's blazing hot, I'll probably either play early am or just break down and use a cart.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

The only time I take a cart...

1) if it's insanely hot outside

2) if the course is too hilly to walk

3) if I'm in a hurry and need to play fast

... I have a remote cart and follow two of your guidelines. Walking without pushing or pulling is the best way to play and most of us can't afford a full time caddy. Keeps me loose, involved with the course, the next shot and gives me more time with nature. Nothing quite like a screeching hawk overhead as you walk down a fairway. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

Absolutely. Every single round.

I have played some courses, though, where there is literally a 1/4 mile walk between holes. No all that fun...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Used to mostly walk, at least 80% of the time. Loved it, played better and the exercise on the hilly courses where I played was great.

Back issues, hip issues, torn achilles put an end to that. Back and hip have since greatly improved but the present home course is not walker friendly. I've since adjusted and can tolerate riding.

Nearly effortless routine of 27 or 36 holes has won me over. 😉