Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

One Swing or Two?

One swing?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use one full swing for all clubs, or different full swings for different club types?

• one swing for everything
    • one full swing for driver, another for everything else
    • multiple full swings for ever facet of my set makeup
    • still working on getting one decent full swing!

Here's an interesting tidbit from the October issue of Golf magazine: The No.1 New Ball-Striking Secret (their words, not mine), devised by Dr. TJ Tomasi, says we should groove TWO swings: one for the driver, one for everything else. "Using only one swing makes hitting fairways and greens impossible" he states.

From back when I was reading Golf Tips, Dr. Tomasi seemed to be a progressive teacher. If anyone's read his "No Backswing Swing" lesson, it's quite interesting... and at worst, a good practice drill. Normally, I'd be skeptical- everyone has "their way" of going about things. This is slightly different, though: Dr. Tomasi has Trackman data to support his theory:

A Table of Two Swings

|Attack Angle |Path

Driver |5* up |5* left to right

7 iron |3* down |2* right to left

We all know to hit slightly up on the driver with an iside-out swing... not to mention hitting down on irons... but with an inside-out swing? Now mind you, I'm of that "I don't want any more junk floating around in my head than I absolutely need" school, but I've always respected what Dr. Tomasi has written.

I think I might give this some range time (well, at least attempt to). What's everyone else think? Good idea? Bad idea? No thoughts whatsoever? Holy crap, we just opened up the floodgates?

My vote is for bad idea. Hitting slightly out to in with the irons would produce a fade, and I don't want a fade. Also, evidence proves that, on average, PGA TOUR pros actually still hit slightly down with their drivers. My guess is that all of the "hit up with the driver" tips are because even though they do hit down, it is much less so, which means it might feel to them like they are hitting up. But, they are not.

I've been rolling with 3 this year (driver/iron/wedge) as to do what I want with each type of club, I need to vary my set up and swing path. I have no idea how people pound their drivers if they swing it exactly like they would an iron. Though I'm pretty sure I don't follow those attack lane numbers.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I've been rolling with 3 this year (driver/iron/wedge) as to do what I want with each type of club, I need to vary my set up and swing path. I have no idea how people pound their drivers if they swing it exactly like they would an iron. Though I'm pretty sure I don't follow those attack lane numbers.

That's my biggest sticking point- how do I know I'm 5* with this and 3* with that? I don't think this would work too well for me, but I'm at least going to practice it a bit, see what it does for me. LOL- can't be any worse than I currently am!

I saw this article also and found it interesting. I clicked the "One for driver, one for all others" box. I am currently remaking my swing from the ground up, but I am not messing with my driver swing (at least not a complete re-tool) because my driver swing works. The main difference is the set up and the big thoughts on the take away, from the top on down all my swings are about the same.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I chose "one for the driver, one for everything else" although that's not quite right, I do transition some through my set. I will use my "driver swing with my hybrids from a good lie or off the tee, although I do move the ball back a bit in my stance, but I am still focusing some on sweeping the ball. I'll even use this swing with my irons from time to time if the occasion warrants it. I'll also use my "iron swing" with my hybrids if the ball is down in the rough or in a bad lie, which is a steeper angle of attack. Even so, I'm still usually trying to get an inside to out path with all my swings.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 2 months later...

Archived