Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Looking for shaft recomendations in the sub 60g range

So here is the story.

I just bought a black Cobra F8+ with a Project X Evenflow 75g 6.5 shaft.  I know the shaft is a no go for me but the seller didn't want to sell the head only.  I  don't live in an area where going and demoing shafts is an option.  Therefore I am looking to the MGS community for some help/recommendations.  

A little about my swing.  I have a ~110mph(going off of carry distance) swing with an aggressive transition and a late release.  My conditioning isn't what it should be and heavier shafts tend to tire me out toward the end of the round.  I prefer a sub 60g shaft that really unloads/kicks through impact.  I had one that I really liked a few years ago but sold the driver and shaft.  For the life of me I can't remember what the shaft was.  

I know that every head may have different results with the same shaft.  I have never hit the F8+ so I can't speak for its spin characteristics but I have never got along with high launch/spin shafts.  I would prefer low/low shafts but am not afraid of tipping a mid/mid shaft.

So I am asking all spies, What have you come across that fits my criteria?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Edit:  I am aware that on paper low/low 50g shafts may not exist and a fitting would be best but a fitting isn't in the cards right now due to location.  I am not oppose to so called mid/mid shafts and lowering the loft as well as lower 60g weight. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

After my conversation with the Tour rep for Veylix, and seeing you swing 110, and have a strong transition, I wouldn't recommend a sub-60 shaft. You're introducing inconsistency. A hard transition needs a stiff butt, and if you want low/low, you're looking at a mid point to tip that will be the stiffest of the stiff. I would hesitate to just grab a shaft. It's worth the investment to go to a fitter to find the perfect shaft. I would love to see if any fitter would say go sub-60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

... About the only shaft I know that might work for you is the Mugen Gold. IF you can find one:

http://www.harrison.com/product/mugen-gold-golf-shaft

... I would also say you should at least hit the combo you have before going to something different. Ya never know. The F8+ lunches low with low spin and even though the Even Flow is a mid launch mid spin shaft, the 75gm version is a lower launching shaft than the 65gm. And if you put the heavy weight up front the combo is insanely low launch and low spin. I put my F8+ at 11.5* with the weight forward and it still launched too low for me. (101-105 ss)

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

After my conversation with the Tour rep for Veylix, and seeing you swing 110, and have a strong transition, I wouldn't recommend a sub-60 shaft. You're introducing inconsistency. A hard transition needs a stiff butt, and if you want low/low, you're looking at a mid point to tip that will be the stiffest of the stiff. I would hesitate to just grab a shaft. It's worth the investment to go to a fitter to find the perfect shaft. I would love to see if any fitter would say go sub-60.

I agree that on paper my swing would not suit a sub-60 shaft. I am not oppose to mid to low 60's but anything heavier and I notice my swing gets tired and "lazy" for lack of a better word at the end of my round.  If I can find the time and resources to go and get fit I definitely will but for now it is trial and error.

... About the only shaft I know that might work for you is the Mugen Gold. IF you can find one:

http://www.harrison.com/product/mugen-gold-golf-shaft

... I would also say you should at least hit the combo you have before going to something different. Ya never know. The F8+ lunches low with low spin and even though the Even Flow is a mid launch mid spin shaft, the 75gm version is a lower launching shaft than the 65gm. And if you put the heavy weight up front the combo is insanely low launch and low spin. I put my F8+ at 11.5* with the weight forward and it still launched too low for me. (101-105 ss)

I am definitely planning on hitting the F8+ with the evenflow 75 shaft when I get it.  I am just hoping the members here may have some alternatives in the mid to sub 60g range that they feel may fit.  

I know it is completely possible that the F8+ is low/low enough, especially at the lower lofts, that I may need a mid/mid or even a high/high shaft.  I guess I am really just looking for recommendations as a starting point.  If that makes sense!

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will have to find some reviews on the speeder.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to find some reviews on the speeder.

Shows as a mid spin, which, in the description in the article from 2016, makes sense. “Flexible tip”.... “Like a bull whip”.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

So here is the story.

I just bought a black Cobra F8+ with a Project X Evenflow 75g 6.5 shaft.  I know the shaft is a no go for me but the seller didn't want to sell the head only.  I  don't live in an area where going and demoing shafts is an option.  Therefore I am looking to the MGS community for some help/recommendations.  

A little about my swing.  I have a ~110mph(going off of carry distance) swing with an aggressive transition and a late release.  My conditioning isn't what it should be and heavier shafts tend to tire me out toward the end of the round.  I prefer a sub 60g shaft that really unloads/kicks through impact.  I had one that I really liked a few years ago but sold the driver and shaft.  For the life of me I can't remember what the shaft was.  

I know that every head may have different results with the same shaft.  I have never hit the F8+ so I can't speak for its spin characteristics but I have never got along with high launch/spin shafts.  I would prefer low/low shafts but am not afraid of tipping a mid/mid shaft.

So I am asking all spies, What have you come across that fits my criteria?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Edit:  I am aware that on paper low/low 50g shafts may not exist and a fitting would be best but a fitting isn't in the cards right now due to location.  I am not oppose to so called mid/mid shafts and lowering the loft as well as lower 60g weight. 

You might want to look into a counterbalanced shaft so that something like 70grams feels closer to 60grams and still provides you with a good bend profile for your swing.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Ust mamiya helium comes in 45-59g and is stable enough to handle various swing speeds

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Have you ever tried a 55?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Have you ever tried a 55?

A 55 what?  I think I am lost.

You might want to look into a counterbalanced shaft so that something like 70grams feels closer to 60grams and still provides you with a good bend profile for your swing.

I was wondering about that but didn't want to sound like an idiot! lol  Won't I lose my swingweight going counterbalanced? Do you have any suggestions?

A 55 what?  I think I am lost.

Sorry, 55 grams.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Sorry, 55 grams.

I am really lost now.  What shaft in 55g are you talking about?

I was wondering about that but didn't want to sound like an idiot! lol Won't I lose my swingweight going counterbalanced? Do you have any suggestions?

Yes the swing weight would probably change but likely not an amount that u would feel drastically different. If you are that worried about swing weight though u can always get a heavy weight to put in the head to offset the difference. I currently have an F8+ with a HZRDUS Yellow that is counterbalanced and it feels great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Yes the swing weight would probably change but likely not an amount that u would feel drastically different. If you are that worried about swing weight though u can always get a heavy weight to put in the head to offset the difference. I currently have an F8+ with a HZRDUS Yellow that is counterbalanced and it feels great.

My only concern with going to a counterbalanced shaft is all the extra overall weight.  I do tend to get fatigued with higher weighted shafts which is the reason I try to stay with lower total weight similar to going lightweight iron shafts.  Or am I completely off with what a counterbalanced shaft is for?  I assumed it was so today's heavier heads can be built at the longer lengths while maintaining swingweight.  i am sorry if I sound like an idiot.

... Counter balanced allows you to play a longer shaft OR a shorter shaft with a heavier head. The heaver head has more mass and produces longer drives. Counter balanced shafts also feel lighter than their stated weight because it is near the grip, not the tip or along the entire shaft. The HZRDUS Yellow (63) is the same weight as the Black (62) and the Red (62) but again allows you to use a heavier head or longer shaft. I still have one of the original counter balanced shafts from UST called the I.T. (inertial transfer) meant to be played at 44" and used by Freddie Couples for years. It is around 100gm's but felt like a 60gm shaft due to the counter balance. My reference shaft is the Aldila Tour Rogue Black that is slightly counter balanced. 

... That said, considering the driver is the lightest club in the bag, even with a 75gm shaft, do you have trouble late in the round with all your other much heaver clubs? I don't think I have heard someone struggle with the weight of a driver late i a round unless it is very heavy and very stiff. I have certainly heard golfers struggle with irons and wedges, especially with heavier steel, but not driver. 

Why not try Accra? They have some very lightweight X stiffs in a few models. They are all about constant weight with the ability to change flex.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

... Counter balanced allows you to play a longer shaft OR a shorter shaft with a heavier head. The heaver head has more mass and produces longer drives. Counter balanced shafts also feel lighter than their stated weight because it is near the grip, not the tip or along the entire shaft. The HZRDUS Yellow (63) is the same weight as the Black (62) and the Red (62) but again allows you to use a heavier head or longer shaft. I still have one of the original counter balanced shafts from UST called the I.T. (inertial transfer) meant to be played at 44" and used by Freddie Couples for years. It is around 100gm's but felt like a 60gm shaft due to the counter balance. My reference shaft is the Aldila Tour Rogue Black that is slightly counter balanced.

... That said, considering the driver is the lightest club in the bag, even with a 75gm shaft, do you have trouble late in the round with all your other much heaver clubs? I don't think I have heard someone struggle with the weight of a driver late i a round unless it is very heavy and very stiff. I have certainly heard golfers struggle with irons and wedges, especially with heavier steel, but not driver.

Thank you for the explanation.

Now that you mention irons maybe weight isn't my problem. I play my irons with dg pro r300 shafts. I try to take an easy smooth 3/4 stroke with all my irons so maybe my problem is flex late in the round. I guess I know even less about my swing than I thought! Lol

Why not try Accra? They have some very lightweight X stiffs in a few models. They are all about constant weight with the ability to change flex.

I am not oppose to any brands?

I think the SWD50 shaft fits you extremely well.

http://xcalibershafts.com/category/super-light/ 

Below is the text from the web site

Through our extensive research, we discovered that super lightweight shafts were not optimized for the high swing speeds and aggressive tempos / transitions of low-handicap players.

So we designed the SWD50 Wood Shaft with a stiffer upper and lower end, similar to that of our Xcaliber Pro T6 and T7.5 models. This allowed us to make the SWD50 Wood Shaft more consistent and stable to withstand the force applied by better players at impact. As the only shaft with this unique stiffness profile at this weight, the Xcaliber SWD50 is in a category all its own.

I know you are looking for sub-60 but I would look at a Hzrdus Black 6.5 tipped a bit... 62 grams so its close and definitely stable enough for you

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I think chisag is on to something.

Maybe it's just not the shaft, but fatigue in general after 4 hours walking and swinging.

I know it happens to me, usually the last 2 holes I'll get tired and won't be turning my waist and shoulders as much (what you described as lazy) causing me to use my arms mainly... a recipe for disaster!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 4 weeks later...

Providing an update.  

As it turns out one of my wife's cousin's husbands has an aboutgolf simulator at his house.(He may become my new best friend!)  After a few hours at his place hitting some balls, he let me hit his g400 lst with a bunch of different shafts he had lying around.  When all was said and done, the F8+ is gone and the g400 lst with a 2018 UST Proforce V2 5F4 shaft playing 44.25".  I actually found that choking down a half inch from that length produced my best driving in the last 10 years.  I have never been straighter or longer.

This is the last combo I would have thought  was going in the bag.  I now look forward to pulling driver instead of worrying about the right side.

Interesting that choking down a half inch worked for you. I always loved Anthony Kim's golf swing and he even choked down more than that. I remember Nike offered to build him his set to the length that he choked down to with the same swing weight and feel, and he said no. Just a personal thing I guess.

Its great that the experiment worked out. Keep us posted to see how thing progress and if that technique sticks for you

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

Looks like the honeymoon period ended and I wound up no more accurate with the ping/v2 combo than I was with my original Epic.  I could play either without missing a beat but I will take the cheaper option for now and save some money towards St. Andrews in August.  

New flavor of the month is "Ole Faithful" Callaway Epic 9* head with a New shaft.  Trying out the Kuro Kage 50x XTS Proto at 44"(plus I choke down about a 1/4"-1/2") tipped a 1/2" and adapter set at -1/D.  So far it is just as long and straight.

Looks like the honeymoon period ended and I wound up no more accurate with the ping/v2 combo than I was with my original Epic.  I could play either without missing a beat but I will take the cheaper option for now and save some money towards St. Andrews in August.  

New flavor of the month is "Ole Faithful" Callaway Epic 9* head with a New shaft.  Trying out the Kuro Kage 50x XTS Proto at 44"(plus I choke down about a 1/4"-1/2") tipped a 1/2" and adapter set at -1/D.  So far it is just as long and straight.

If you find that you're still tiring by the end of the round & this combo is nothing more than -as you state -  "flavor of the month", it's time to take an honest look at your fitness level & what you need to increase endurance.

If you find that you're still tiring by the end of the round & this combo is nothing more than -as you state - "flavor of the month", it's time to take an honest look at your fitness level & what you need to increase endurance.

Yestersay with the Epic/ kuro kage 50 xts combo endurance was not a problem and really wasnt with the ping/v2 either. I felt great after the round but that may be because i shot a career best 79 and even had 3 doubles.

I have found that slowing down my backswing and thinking about making a rythmic downswing has helped a lot.

Yestersay with the Epic/ kuro kage 50 xts combo endurance was not a problem and really wasnt with the ping/v2 either. I felt great after the round but that may be because i shot a career best 79 and even had 3 doubles.

I have found that slowing down my backswing and thinking about making a rythmic downswing has helped a lot.

... If there is such a thing as a "magic cure" for a variety of swing problems, this is it.  :)  Most people do not realize you can basically swing your arms as fast as you are able to but moving the body too quickly results in all kinds of problems. Imo it is the #1 swing fault and a good 75% of my students were prone to this fault. Nice job finding the cure on your own! 

Archived