Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pretty Damn Funny Ad! (By: Callaway)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

The driver v. driver marketing battle seems a bit more aggressive this year. Last year Callaway just used photos of Cally drivers winning on tour.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It is clear by now who has better minds in the marketing department. I'm still waiting for a smart response from the other camp.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• SPY VIP

It is clear by now who has better minds in the marketing department. I'm still waiting for a smart response from the other camp.

Callaway's ads have been very clever for sure. So far the best TM has come up with has basically been to call Callaway a has-been, and point out how adjustable their club is. Chances are when the year is over, TM will have "more wins on tour", which has 0 impact on what I put in my bag. Adjustability also means little to me because, as I've stated numerous times:

• most golfers set it and forget it, so whether it's 1 setting, 3 settings (Cobra), 32 settings (Nike) or something in between ™, chances are you're going to set it one way and leave it there.
  • Adjustments are no substitute for a proper fitting.

What I still find most interesting is thus far, TM has not disputed Callaway's claim of 6 yards longer than the R11. 6 isn't 15, but given the choice of two drivers, and assuming similar accuracy, yeah, I'm probably taking the one that's 6 yards longer.

I've hit the RAZR Hawk, and really like the way it feels (face just feels hot if you know what I mean). I haven't done the full testing yet, so I don't know how the numbers stack up to my current driver, but I'm not willing to discount the possibility of bagging it.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

While I've never much cared for Callaway products in the past, I must say that the Razr line is very solid (with the possible exception of the hybrid) and I really like this ad. I'm a big fan of the R11, but if you don't think that ad is funny, then you're taking things too seriously.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Callaway's ads have been very clever for sure. So far the best TM has come up with has basically been to call Callaway a has-been, and point out how adjustable their club is. Chances are when the year is over, TM will have "more wins on tour", which has 0 impact on what I put in my bag. Adjustability also means little to me because, as I've stated numerous times:

• most golfers set it and forget it, so whether it's 1 setting, 3 settings (Cobra), 32 settings (Nike) or something in between ™, chances are you're going to set it one way and leave it there.
  • Adjustments are no substitute for a proper fitting.

What I still find most interesting is thus far, TM has not disputed Callaway's claim of 6 yards longer than the R11. 6 isn't 15, but given the choice of two drivers, and assuming similar accuracy, yeah, I'm probably taking the one that's 6 yards longer.

I've hit the RAZR Hawk, and really like the way it feels (face just feels hot if you know what I mean). I haven't done the full testing yet, so I don't know how the numbers stack up to my current driver, but I'm not willing to discount the possibility of bagging it.

When Taylor first came out with those clubs with adjustable weights I played with a guy that had the driver and 3 wood. He had not one but TWO of those darn weight kits and he was constantly during the round messing with those weights. he annoyed everyone so much along with other things that no one plays with him anymore

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived