Justin Rose ditching Honma already?

Our Sponsors

Doesn’t surprise me.

Him and Sergio were with Taylormade for as long as I can remember. Both switched, both declined.

A lot of it is probably the clubs, but I imagine the Tour truck staff, and the availability of making a one off club for them has a lot to do with it.

• Like 3
We don’t know the contract language in any of their deals and we may or may not find out do there was any for Rose. Horschel has been with pxg for 5 years give or take and could easily have been at the end or near end of his deal.  It’s not exactly new territory. Reed left Nike in 2012 or 13 during his contact and signed immediacy with Callaway iirc...maybe a little time after Nike but it wasn’t long. 

Except, we do know Horschel and Reavie walked away mid-contract because PXG fired their lead designer. It’s been widely reported.

Given Rose signed a multi year contract last year with Honma to play a minimum of 10 clubs, it seems evident a split has happened prior to the end of that contract.

Leaving at the end of a contract for another equipment manufacturer isn’t new ground. Leaving well ahead of a contract expiring is absolutely new ground and very newsworthy!

https://www.golf.com/gear/2020/03/04/pxg-loses-billy-horschel-chex-reavie-after-staff-shakeup/

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Horschel and Reavie both left because PXG parted ways with the director of tour player relations, Matt Rollins. Rollins was instrumental in bringing both into PXG's tour staff so they left for the professional relationship. Had nothing to do with the clubs.

These guys are good enough to play well with anything, and the equipment today is all so good that the professional relationships with OEMs are often more important to the player than anything else.

We don’t know the contract language in any of their deals and we may or may not find out do there was any for Rose. Horschel has been with pxg for 5 years give or take and could easily have been at the end or near end of his deal. 
It’s not exactly new territory. Reed left Nike in 2012 or 13 during his contact and signed immediacy with Callaway iirc...maybe a little time after Nike but it wasn’t long. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I had a conversation with the Honma rep on this when I did my fitting over a week ago. Rose, per the Tour rep, switched the driver last tourney because he only missed one fairway with the SIM in a practice round, then he proceeded to miss the majority of fairways with it in-play.
Let’s not forget that Rose either won his first tournament after the switch, or within just a couple weeks. There is more going on with Justin Rose and his personal life than what’s in public view.
Maybe going back to a “trusted” brand will help the mental side, but keep in-mind, with Tour Pros, when things go South, they blame two things right off the bat: the caddie, and the equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Curious to see how J Rose plays this week/weekend with the TM setup.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I had a conversation with the Honma rep on this when I did my fitting over a week ago. Rose, per the Tour rep, switched the driver last tourney because he only missed one fairway with the SIM in a practice round, then he proceeded to miss the majority of fairways with it in-play.
Let’s not forget that Rose either won his first tournament after the switch, or within just a couple weeks. There is more going on with Justin Rose and his personal life than what’s in public view.
Maybe going back to a “trusted” brand will help the mental side, but keep in-mind, with Tour Pros, when things go South, they blame two things right off the bat: the caddie, and the equipment.

I’m not suggesting Rose is leaving because of superior or inferior equipment. But he is definitely leaving prior to the end of the Honma deal he signed at the beginning of last season.

• Like 1

I have tested the Honma TW747 driver and the Rose Protos... And quality is a non issue. My only wish was that Honma offered more stock shafts in the TW747 or else it would have stayed in the bag.

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Horschel and Reavie both left because PXG parted ways with the director of tour player relations, Matt Rollins. Rollins was instrumental in bringing both into PXG's tour staff so they left for the professional relationship. Had nothing to do with the clubs.

These guys are good enough to play well with anything, and the equipment today is all so good that the professional relationships with OEMs are often more important to the player than anything else.

My not disputing that’s why they left. Was saying them bolting in their middle of their contracts or being let go isn’t new and that we don’t know the language in their contracts. Depending on the legal aspects they can’t just walk away from a binding deal. They either had to give something up and/or when they voiced their displeasure they were released. 

also stating they aren’t the first ones to do it mid deal.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I’m not suggesting Rose is leaving because of superior or inferior equipment. But he is definitely leaving prior to the end of the Honma deal he signed at the beginning of last season.

Wasn’t saying you were and we agree he’s leaving mid deal. We just don’t know and may not know if there was any language that allows it or the two sides came to some sort of agreement based on differences 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I was as well. Seems to be some serious damage control going on between the two parties. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm assuming with no statement expected ahead of The Players that Rose will again be using TM equipment this week though.

• Like 1

Since there won’t be the excuse for “out of respect for... tournament” any time soon, I wonder when we will get the full story on this.

• Like 1

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70X Tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I highly doubt we'll hear anything prior to the Tours starting up again.

Not that I have any inside information or anything, but I would imagine there's some very serious negotiations going on, otherwise we'd have heard something sooner if the relationship was completely fractured beyond repair.

• Like 1

That was a rather short romance.  I really hadn't heard much about Homna until Justin signed with them.  

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• 2 months later...

I think it’s funny when a player is involved in all design aspects of his clubs, then makes an equipment change.

Being a design engineer (not golf related), I feel for the designers and engineers at Honma. That can be a really frustrating situation to be in.

Sometimes the design side just doesn't get it done, but other times you can do everything they want and more, and it's still not enough.

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

1 hour ago, ncwoz said:

Being a design engineer (not golf related), I feel for the designers and engineers at Honma. That can be a really frustrating situation to be in.

Sometimes the design side just doesn't get it done, but other times you can do everything they want and more, and it's still not enough.

If Rose’s performance doesn’t improve, they may be vindicated - but both are stuck with a big question mark for a while. Sad. I suspect we could look at Rose’s detailed stats, stokes gained etc., and see where the problem(s) have been - I don’t know where to find them. As we all know, a players performance can change due to putting alone.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)